NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What are the odds of a Steelers/Cowboys Super Bowl this year?
Haven't seen a "vs" betting line, but given the Cowboys are favored to win the NFC and Pittsburgh is only sitting behind New England, probably the second most likely betting outcome. I'll have to find a line or crunch it myself. Good question though. :thumb:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Haven't seen a "vs" betting line, but given the Cowboys are favored to win the NFC and Pittsburgh is only sitting behind New England, probably the second most likely betting outcome. I'll have to find a line or crunch it myself. Good question though. :thumb:

If it ends up being Steelers/Cowboys........Jerry and I will be on this thread 24/7 for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
End of the year summary...not my best effort this year, but solid enough. Calling every game, injuries and dead spots notwithstanding, for the full season I come in at 163 wins and 93 losses, or, an average of around 10 wins against the line each week.

I'll take that.

So...I want nothing to do with this week's playoff games, given the peculiar circumstances surrounding so much of it.

Wild Card Round:

Saturday

Oak @ Hou: two essentially headless teams meet to decide which one goes home first...the line has Houston a 4 pt fav. I'm not in the mood to give anyone that many points. I'll take Oakland to spoil or, who knows, win.

Det @ Sea: the Seahawks are a beast at home. Detroit hasn't looked right since Stafford hurt his wittle pinkie. :plain: The line is Seattle and 8 pts. I like this one bigger. Seattle.

Sunday

Mia @ Pit: the Steelers are a rousing 10.5 favorite over the recently embarrassed Fins, who like most of the teams playing over this weekend have a problem at qb. Given, I can see them covering, but I'm not laying that many. I like the Steelers to win by closer to 5 - 8 points.

Gia @ GB: this one is the game to wait for, hopefully. Will the Giants ignite on another post season run or will the team and qb everyone was beginning to shovel dirt on early in the season continue to demonstrate why Green Bay's demise was greatly exaggerated? The line has the Packers a modest 5 pt favorite. That line is literally right where I have it. I'll lay those points. Hope it's a good one.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'll take Oakland, Seattle, Miami, New York Giants
So noted. Our only disagreement is on the Giants game, and I can see the potential for an upset or fg contest there. When I run the numbers there are enough upsets to make it interesting and by the time that game airs we all may need as much interesting football as we can get.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd like to see the Cowboys and Pats go at it. The old dynasty rekindled and the newest version on its way out. Could be one heck of a game.

If not I'd like to see KC and the Giants going at it. Two strong defenses and two different offensive approaches. Eli going for three and KC looking to break back into the winner's circle.

Pittsburgh vs Dallas would be a fun match up.

Green Bay vs...I don't see them matching up well with the likely NFC winners.

Not disparaging Atlanta, but their last outing in the big game and their reputation in the post season of late doesn't excite.

That said, the Falcons could surprise, show that this season is a sea change and run the table.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The 2016 All-Pro Team is out. The one the NFL officially recognizes before the SB. Matt Ryan deflated Brady's hopes this year, winning a competitive contest by edging out the Pat legend in every category except Ints. Ryan threw for 1,400+ more yds, 10 more tds, but 5 more ints, to take a 117 to 112 rating win at the tape.

To give you an idea of how good these two were this year, Ryan's season rating ranks his performance 5th on the all-time list, .1 behind Brady's 2007 performance. Tom's, at 39 (for Pete's sake) ties him at 10th with Rodgers 2014 season.

The top ten all time seasons:

1. Aaron Rodgers, 122.5, 2011

2. Peyton Manning, 121.1, 2004

3. Nick Foles, 119.2, 2013

4. Tom Brady, 117.2, 2007

5. Matt Ryan, 117.1, 2016

6. Peyton Manning, 115.1, 2013

7. Tony Romo, 113.2, 2014

8. Steve Young, 112.8, 1994

9. Joe Montana, 112.4, 1989

10. Tom Brady, 112.2, 2016
Aaron Rodgers, 2014

Jerry Shugart

The 2016 All-Pro Team is out.

Five Dallas Cowboys were selected to the "First Team" and that is more than any other team.

Linebacker Sean Lee is the only Dallas player selected for Defense.

However, on the Offense Running Back Ezekiel Elliott was selected along with three young Offensive Linemen, including Left Tackle Tyron Smith, Center Travis Frederick and Guard Zack Martin.

The making of a DYNASTY!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The only game in which I have confidence is taking Houston and giving the four points.
I didn't until I saw the 3rd string qb under center. That was a game changer. No snaps and no real grasp of the offense. His team wasn't playing for him either. Crabtree and Cooper dropping catchable balls that mattered. And then Brock decides to play like he's capable. So a game that looked to be a fg affair is on the verge of getting out of hand.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, that one is in the books. I had it Oakland 23, Houston 21, but with the back up in play. Without that level of offense Houston played even better on defense and had more offensive opportunity, which it finally took advantage of. Now the question is can Brock continue to pull an Eli or will the next game bring them back to earth...and the off season.

Jerry Shugart

Gia @ GB: this one is the game to wait for, hopefully. Will the Giants ignite on another post season run or will the team and qb everyone was beginning to shovel dirt on early in the season continue to demonstrate why Green Bay's demise was greatly exaggerated? The line has the Packers a modest 5 pt favorite. That line is literally right where I have it. I'll lay those points. Hope it's a good one.

I will go with the Giants in a very close game and take the five points. Eli will, as usual, over-perform in a Playoff game.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Pittsburgh looking good. Covered and then some. Real improvement, but the turn came with the int and the denial before the half when Miami was set up to make it a one td game. Sweet for Steelers fans. Thought it would be closer.

Had the most likely score 26 - 19, with the high end a 32 - 24. After my bail on Oakland I'm 2-1 going into the late game today. Come on Giants...by which I mean spoil the line. :eek:

Edit: oh. I mean, come on Green Bay! :D

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Today, Ben Roethlisberger passed Troy Aikman & Roger Staubach for most playoff victories.

The List:

22 - Brady
16 - Montana
14 - Bradshaw, Elway, and Peyton
13 - Favre
12 - Roethlisberger
11 - Staubach & Aikman

It's always a good day when one Steeler passes up two Cowboys in the record book.

Status
Not open for further replies.