NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They defeated themselves. I mean, Eli made it pretty easy. I saw a few passes that were no where NEAR his receiver. They got rattled and couldn't pull themselves together. My fantasy team paid the price. :smack:
Never bet on winning a land war in Asia or a game with Eli under center that isn't played against New England. He's the John Starks of the NFL...betting on him is like betting on San Diego. :eek:

On the bright side, this weeks games have a number of interesting match-ups, so there's that.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Oh, and I posted the wrong numbers on passing defense.

It should look like this:

Houston: 162
Denver: 169
Baltimore: 176
Seattle: 183
Jacksonville: 198
Philly: 203
Arizona: 203
Chicago: 210
Minnesota: 223

beloved57

Th

@ Oak: two teams with talent, but both playing unevenly. Oakland has the more impressive history, having dealt the Falcons a loss in week 2, while SD has mostly played to the level of the competition, win or lose (except for the KC thumping). It's impressive, given the way the injury bug has bitten the Chargers.
We beat Oakland in Oakland!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I may come back and post something about the ESPN business, but I'm in a mood and it's ridiculous that the games aren't up already, so I'm going to go on without them.

Week 5 Early Bird/at a glance

1. Arz @ SF

Consensus: has Arizona as a 3.5 favorite with 66% of the betting line in agreement.
Considering: With Palmer they're a different team, but the statute of limitations just ran out on respecting their former defensive body of work. Meanwhile SF continues to do nothing much to impress on either side of the ball.
Pick: Arizona, baring an injury report, by as little as 4 or as much as 9.

2. Ten @ Mia

Consensus: a game only their mothers could love sees the Fins a 3.5 favorite with 59% of the action going that way.
Considering: not much separating these two teams, with neither offense being appreciably better and Miami holding a marginal defensive edge, plus home field for the game.
Pick: I like the Dolphins and 4. But I only like them as a numeral. As a team they continue to do the year after year mediocrity polka, typically jazzing it up mid to mid-late in the season before falling back to predictable also ran status at the close of regular play.

3. NE @ Cle

Consensus: 73% of the betting action is ready for a Pats by 10.5 line.
Considering: Even a rusty Brady should out perform what we've seen without him and, with the exception of a phenomenal Bills defensive scheme against an over-matched rookie last week, has been pretty darn good. Cleveland is a mess.
Pick: I like New England by between 12 to 16 pts so I'll take the line, large as it is.

4. Hou @ Min

Consensus: the Vikings are a modest 6 pt favorite and 73% of those with money to spend will wave it in that direction.
Considering: Houston has something to prove while the Vikings are looking to solidify their new impression as the potential big dog in their division. Certainly Green Bay isn't putting the fear of Rodgers into anyone lately.
Pick: the Vikings are just better. They're better on both sides of the ball and they're at home. Six points? I'd take 12 on a dare.

5. Chi @ Ind

Consensus: Chicago is a 4.5 pick for 61%.
Considering: both teams are defensive liabilities, but Indy has a better and more aggressive offense. How big a question mark is the Bears offense? Well, their starting qb might not play and no one in the Windy City is exactly sure if that helps or hurts their chances more.
Pick: I'll take Indy and have it between 6 and 7.

6. Phi @ Det

Consensus: 72% like Philly at 3.
Considering: The Eagles are a real surprise story so far in the young season, given the upheavals there in recent years. So when they opened the season by opening a can on Cleveland and Chicago, eyebrows raised. Not much, because we all know those are awful teams, but they raised...and then they spanked a very good Steelers team. The thing I like about Wentz is that he plays smart. He takes what's there. So he can play big or small, but he mostly plays smart. Will a book catch him by late season? Maybe, but right now he's doing it well. Detroit is starting to look like the Saints that wasted Archie's career.
Pick: this is one of those games I hate, where the model is all over the board without a clear statistical most likely...Detroit could slug hard enough to keep it close, but I tend to see a larger outcome, with Philly up by between two to three tds and with a fg line I have to take the Eagles.

7. Jets @ Pit

Consensus: 62% like a 7 pt line for Pit.
Considering: the Steelers really let me down against Philly. The Jests did the same to me last week, against Seattle. Both teams make me nervous by dropping games by double digits. Pittsburgh was the worst, given. That said, this is a home game for a Steelers team that got their A game back by crushing the Chiefs. The problem is that outside of flurries by Pittsburgh, the offenses haven't really separated and defensively, well, the Steelers give up way too much through the air.
Pick: I'm going with the home team for now, but this game makes me nervous. I can see it closer than the 6 and by as much as 12 for the Steelers.

8. Was @ Bal

Consensus: the Ravens are a 4 pt favorite on an evenly split money line.
Considering: Washington can win this, can win any game against a mid-level team, which is what Baltimore has become, but will they? Until Oakland, they hadn't given up more than 20 pts through the first three games. Was that a hiccup? Washington has only really beaten opponents you'd expect...so which is Baltimore?
Pick: I like the better defense at home. I'll take the Ravens to cover and then some.

9. Atl @ Den

Consensus: 53% take Den and 6 pts.
Considering: The Falcons are a legitimate ball club, but they're playing in Mile High against the best defense in the league. If they can win this or play within a fg it's time to start taking them very seriously. Not likely to happen, but just in case. Forget the close Carolina game, that's a running qb match up problem and an offense that still plays conservatively against good defense. Atlanta has a decent, but not intimidating defense. Denver can move the ball against it. But can that amazing Atlanta offense really elevate at elevation? We're about to find out. No one is playing the pass better than Denver so far. And they're stout against the run too.
Pick: Denver by as much as 8.

10. Cin @ Dal

Consensus: Bengals by 1.5 with 67% taking.
Considering: two teams with talent who are well matched. If it's close I like the Bengals. Going away I like Dallas by as much as 10. It's that sort of game.
Pick: I'll take the going away/home team for a mild upset and a continuing solidification of the brewing qb controversy in Dallas.

11. Buf @ LA

Consensus: even money.
Considering: no one is sure what they're getting out of these teams week to week and that's the problem. Neither team is playing great defense. Neither passes the ball particularly well. Buffalo is streaky, which is worrisome, but they run the ball well and LA hasn't really done much to contain the run, so...
Pick: I like the Bills by better than a fg, so at even money, I'm in.

12. SD @ Oak

Consensus: Raiders by 4.5 at 56% of the action.
Considering: two teams that can beat you silly on offense, but whose defenses sputter and start. It's all about timing. San Diego lost a narrow one at home last week while Oak found a way to edge Baltimore while on the road. :think:
Pick: I'd rather have this one by a fg. I'll take the Chargers to keep it closer.

13. Gia @ GB

Consensus: GB and 7 with the action about evenly split.
Considering: is anyone scared of either of these teams? The Pack is playing bland offense, about dead center of the averages, and better defense, ranked 12th in points allowed. The Giants...reverse that, forgetting last week's debacle. The offense has been productive while the defense has been Saint like (in the newer, not so good way).
Pick: Packers by anywhere from 7 to 9 or more.

14. TB @ Car

Consensus: no early line or money as of yet.
Considering: The Bucs are awful. 20th offensively speaking and 26th on defense. Carolina is having troubles against some pretty good teams. This isn't one of them.
Pick: Panthers by as much as 13.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
7. Jets @ Pit

Consensus: 62% like a 7 pt line for Pit.
Considering: the Steelers really let me down against Philly. The Jests did the same to me last week, against Seattle. Both teams make me nervous by dropping games by double digits. Pittsburgh was the worst, given. That said, this is a home game for a Steelers team that got their A game back by crushing the Chiefs. The problem is that outside of flurries by Pittsburgh, the offenses haven't really separated and defensively, well, the Steelers give up way too much through the air.
Pick: I'm going with the home team for now, but this game makes me nervous. I can see it closer than the 6 and by as much as 12 for the Steelers.

The Steelers didn't have Le'Veon Bell when they played the Eagles.

They are an entirely different team with Bell (especially at home, and prime time).

I really believe that Le'Veon Bell is as good as Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, and LaDainian Tomlinson were in their primes.

When Roethlisberger, Brown, and Bell are healthy (or not suspended), the Steelers can beat any team in the NFL, despite their young defense.

So, I wouldn't bet against them at home. Especially considering the Steelers are 9-1 at home against the Jets all-time, and 19-5 against the Jets overall.

Quetzal

Looking at tomorrow nights gave we have the 49ers hosting the Arizona Cardinals. The line spots SF 2.5 to give them a small head start against Palmer and Co, if Palmer suits up. He left last week with a concussion and this short week does not bode well for that sort of injury. If he takes a seat it will be... erm... let's see...
read04.gif
Drew Stanton. I know nothing about this guy but it will limit productivity from the Arizona receivers. On the other hand, what has productivity been like for SF? Not much. In short, this one could be ugly but I will keep my faith where it is warm... for now. Arizona covers.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NFl ratings continue to tumble, right after all time high ratings just last season. Goodell, I have already provided a solution to your league not folding. Tell the owners, whom you work for, this needs to happen. Or there will be no NFL.

beloved57

Th

9. Atl @ Den

Consensus: 53% take Den and 6 pts.
Considering: The Falcons are a legitimate ball club, but they're playing in Mile High against the best defense in the league. If they can win this or play within a fg it's time to start taking them very seriously. Not likely to happen, but just in case. Forget the close Carolina game, that's a running qb match up problem and an offense that still plays conservatively against good defense. Atlanta has a decent, but not intimidating defense. Denver can move the ball against it. But can that amazing Atlanta offense really elevate at elevation? We're about to find out. No one is playing the pass better than Denver so far. And they're stout against the run too.
Pick: Denver by as much as 8.

Fair summation

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
NFl ratings continue to tumble, right after all time high ratings just last season. Goodell, I have already provided a solution to your league not folding. Tell the owners, whom you work for, this needs to happen. Or there will be no NFL.

If it wasn't for Fantasy Football, the ratings would be even lower.

The dumbest thing the NFL ever did was move Monday Night Football to ESPN. By doing so, those without cable or satellite cannot watch it. (Same thing for Thursday Night games).

I'm real close to "cutting the cord". I know many who have. A good portion of Millennial's aren't paying for cable. "Cutting the cord" is having an effect on MNF.

And, a lot of white people have had it with Black Lives Matter, and what Kaepernick started.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If it wasn't for Fantasy Football, the ratings would be even lower.
I think it helps, though gambling helps even more.

The dumbest thing the NFL ever did was move Monday Night Football to ESPN. By doing so, those without cable or satellite cannot watch it. (Same thing for Thursday Night games).
Really killed the tradition in my house after we cut the satellite.

I'm real close to "cutting the cord". I know many who have. A good portion of Millennial's aren't paying for cable. "Cutting the cord" is having an effect on MNF.
MNF belongs over the air. Simple as that. Moving it felt like a money grab and a slap at traditional fans to me.

And, a lot of white people have had it with Black Lives Matter, and what Kaepernick started.
Which isn't an NFL position, though I think what backlash is there for Kaepernick is mostly about the flag, not the movement.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
MNF belongs over the air.

I agree.

When the Steelers play on MNF, the game is broadcast on a local Pittsburgh TV station, in addition to ESPN.

I believe that only happens in the two markets of the two teams that are playing.

What happens in Alabama? Are Saint's games broadcast for MNF?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Speaking of MNF......

Some MNF stats:

Most Wins:

48 - San Francisco
44 - Pittsburgh
44 - Dallas
40 - Miami
39 - Raiders

Most Games Played:

79 - Miami
76 - Dallas
71 - San Francisco
67 - Pittsburgh
66 - Raiders & Broncos

Highest Winning Percentage:

.733 - Seattle (22-8)
.685 - San Francisco (48-25)
.642 - Pittsburgh (44-24)
.615 - Carolina (8-5)
.600 - Raiders (39-26-1)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

People have been cutting the cord for a while. This is about that bigot Kapernick who hates the place that made him wealthy and fulfilled his dreams. Ratings were all time high just last year in these same games. All he did was push it over, what the "hands up don't shoot" criminal advocates started.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Speaking of MNF......

Some MNF stats:

Most Wins:

48 - San Francisco
44 - Pittsburgh
44 - Dallas
40 - Miami
39 - Raiders
Man it's been a long time since Miami was really good...at least with Oakland you can see some hope. SF blew their chance through off the field, front office nonsense. Dallas has been snake bit, but mostly remained in play. Shows you just how remarkable the Steelers have been. Stability in the front office translating to stability on the field and an unrivaled quality over time. Kudos.

Quetzal

Man it's been a long time since Miami was really good...at least with Oakland you can see some hope. SF blew their chance through off the field, front office nonsense. Dallas has been snake bit, but mostly remained in play. Shows you just how remarkable the Steelers have been. Stability in the front office translating to stability on the field and an unrivaled quality over time. Kudos.
I'm a bit surprised NE isn't up there somewhere. They have been pretty good for awhile now.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm a bit surprised NE isn't up there somewhere. They have been pretty good for awhile now.

The Patriots are 24-24 on MNF. They are 14-6 since 2000 with Belichick.

This next stat is for beloved57:

The team with the worst winning percentage on MNF:

Atlanta Falcons - .308% (12-27)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Usually, you have to be good to play on MNF. That's why teams like the Falcons, Bengals, Saints, Browns, etc. haven't played that many games on MNF. They have played 30-40 games, whereas the 49'ers, Cowboys, and Steelers have played 60-70 games.

What's really surprising are the records of the following teams that have played a lot of MNF games, but have not done well on MNF:

New York Giants 57 games..... 21-35 (.377%)

Chicago Bears 63 games ......26-37 (.413%)

Washington Redskins 65 games ..... 28-37 (.431%)

Denver Broncos 66 games ....... 30-35-1 (.462%)

Denver is the really surprising one. The Broncos have had 36 seasons of .500 or better during the last 43 seasons. Yet, they are below .500 on MNF, despite being tied for 5th for most games played on MNF.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The Patriots have been unbelievably good for awhile now. Their recent success has propelled them to the top of all-time NFL stats since the merger (despite how bad they were the last century).

Most Wins Since The Merger (1970) as of today:

470 Steelers
449 Cowboys
444 Broncos
435 Dolphins
431 49'ers
430 Patriots

Most Conference Championships:

8 - Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos, Patriots

Most Division Championships:

20 - Steelers & 49'ers
18 - Cowboys