NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm thinking Kapernick is a racist idiot. He is protesting the only people that will let him protest and they pay him. Like I said, when the NFL boots the players that are in violation of league personal conduct policy, I will watch.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm thinking Kapernick is a racist idiot.
I don't think Kapernick is responsible for a decline in NFL viewership. I think Cuban nailed it. There's a reason why gold is more valuable than salt, even if we need one and not the other.

As for K, he was reared by white parents and has any number of white teammates counted as friends and in solidarity with his, to my mind, under thought protest. He's trying to say something. I think he's going about it mistakenly. I also have no real reason to think his intentions are other than good and less reason to consider him racist. I think, objectively speaking, you have an up hill battle on that point.

He is protesting the only people that will let him protest and they pay him.
We're all free to pursue our livelihood. Do we let you do whatever it is you do for a living? In one sense, I suppose. But is the point of being an American that you only get to exercise your right in favor of popular sentiment? I hope not. I hope that's not what the men who fought under that flag sacrificed to protect.

Like I said, when the NFL boots the players that are in violation of league personal conduct policy, I will watch.
I thought the league said it doesn't have a policy on the point...and I'm sorry you're going to miss some good football, but I'm not penalizing most teams for the decisions a few people are making that strike me as needlessly and mistakenly broad. If I owned a team they'd be in the locker room until after the anthem, or they'd stand, understanding that they represent a product put on the field by an owner and that their lucrative participation in that team was subject to conduct in line with its public face. Ambassadors don't tell the President what they're going to do or say, they're told.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hands up, don't shoot, never happened, and he knows it. He is a bag of steaming skubala. He can go to hell, with the rest of the degenerates in the NFL that are biting the hand that feeds them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Shoot. I forgot this weeks picks and it looks like quip didn't chime in either.

Picking up tonight's game.

Mia @ Cin: the line is Bengals by 6.5. I don't know the money line, but among prognosticators its 67/33 in favor of the Bengals making that line. They'd better after the dismantling Denver gave them there last week. The Fins won and looked good last week, but against Cleveland...so that's like a homecoming game. :plain:

My pick: I like the Bengals to cover and win by as much as 10.

More to follow. Likely tomorrow.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was at the watering hole when it was on. I am not sure why some teams think ugly uniforms look good.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Week Four, BBR (before Brady's return)

Okay, so I broke a vicious cycle and won the first game of the week. Let's take a look at the whole week now.

1. Mia @ Cin

Favored: Cin by 6.5
Money: heavily in the Bengals favor.
Sim: 15/30 Cin

My Take: A decent team meets a really good team in need of a win before the home crowd. I took Cin to cover with ease.

2. Ind @ Jac

Favored: Colts by 2.5
Money: 58/42 for Indianapolis
Sim: 29/30 Jacksonville

My Take: Statistically speaking this one is a wash. That inclines me to take the spoiler/mild upset. Especially given the home team owns that distinction. Jags.

3. Car @ Atl

Favored: Car by 2.5
Money: 60/40 Panthers
Sim: 20-26

My Take: Atlanta has played uncommonly good so far. Maybe the latest coaching change and offensive scheme is giving them production to match their talent base. Maybe it's their improved defense (14th by pts). But the birds have put up solid points against suspect defenses and Carolina's loss to the Vikings was an embarrassment that needs to be answered. I'm going to go with the Panthers to make a rallying statement.

4. Buf @ NE

Favored: Pats by 6.5
Money: 60/40 New England
Sim: 17/31 New England

My Take: This four game run is one of the more impressive coaching jobs I've seen in quite a while. Hats off to the Pats. Too bad Granite isn't around to gloat. :) But for last week, this is a no-brainer. But last week Buf put up a ton of points on a good Cardinals defense...was that a turn of sorts or just a confluence of defensive collapse with an exceptional performance by the Bills? Hard to see them beating New England, but it's not that hard to see this one being close...I like the Pats to cover late.

5. Det @ Chi

Favored: Lions by 2.5
Money: 65/35 Detroit
Sim: 22/23 Chicago

My Take: miserable game to predict. Chicago can't run and has to pass to win. Detroit appears to mostly rest its secondary during the game. Two bad defenses. Detroit can run and Chicago can't stop that...the stronger balance belongs to the Lions, who looked solid in a tough loss to Green Bay. Chicago hasn't put up more than two tds so far this year, but has faced much better competition...and they're at home. :think: I'll still take the Lions to win with balance and do just enough for the city.

6. Cle @ Was

Favored: Was by 8.5
Money: Nearly everyone on board for the Browns.
Sim: 14/34 Redskins

My Take: Both teams are giving up yards like a fire sale, so it's really all about which team is in the best position to take the most advantage. I think that favors Washington, though huge point spreads with losers on board makes me nervous. Okay...more like a ten point, 31-20 ish win for Washington, signifying nothing.

7. Ten @ Hou

Favored: Houston by 6.5
Money: The money likes Houston if the line is at 5, which is where everyone but the oddballs at ESPN have it.
Sim: 14/24 Texans

My Take: Houston is 2-0 at home and boasts the better defense. Huge line though. I'll take it and Houston to reestablish their bone fides and salve the sting from that thumping the Pats third stringer and company gave them last week.

8. Oak @ Bal

Favored: Ravens by 3.5
Money: 56/44 Ravens
Sim: 14/27

My Take: one of the "safer" games on the board this week. A good test for a potent, balanced offence on Oakland's part...problem is, they're defense is equally inept. I think it could be a close game, but I'll take the half point on the odd chance that the home team D can take advantage. Ravens.

9. Sea @ Jet

Favored: Seahawks by 3.5
Money: 60/40 Jets upset
Sim: 20/21 Jets

My Take: Man, no one wants anything to do with the favorite in this one. It should really hinge on whether or not you think Seattle found its offense last week. The defense is playing as well as any and better than nearly any, again. The Jests looked vulnerable at KC. I have this one a dead heat, which means I'll take the Jets on pts.

10. Den @ TB

Favored: Denver by 3.5
Money: 64/36 Broncos
Sim: 22/23

My Take: The sim hates these points, which surprised me. Tampa is giving up, on average, more than a td in difference on D to the Broncos, while putting up about the same point total. What am I missing here? :idunno: Denver.

11. Dal @ SF

Favored: Cowboys by 2.5
Money: 60/40 Dallas
Sim: 21-24 Dallas

My Take: Dallas should win this game. The question is by how much...If the trend we're seeing on offense for Dallas continues as the "Romo" quandary clouds begin to form on the horizon. Dak is getting stronger by the game and that's helping the defense too. Dallas.

12. LA @ Arz

Favored: Arizona by 8.5
Money: At 8 pts the line is breaking 55/45 for the pts upset and LA.
Sim: 12/29

My Take: I completely understand people hating this line. Mostly it's about how poorly this Cardinals defense is playing. Mostly. Arizona has only really looked like itself from last year in the one big win in week two. The week one, close loss to NE was, as it turns out, respectable. The loss to Buffalo? Not so much. So this game should give a strong indicator of team character and if they're going to start playing up to their talent level. Given the talent on hand and that coaching staff, it seems likely. But is it eight and a half points likely? :think: I'm going to gamble and say yes. Arizona.

13. NO @ SD

Favored: SD by 4.5
Money: 54/46 for NO by 4
Sim: 24/31 SD

My Take: The Chargers are scoring 3 more on average and giving up around 8 more on defense. The Saints play just well enough to lose...until the pummeling Atlanta gave them. SD stumbled a little against my Colts on the road. They're at home this week. Could be a shoot out and a fg to decide the thing, but I'm leaning on more of a 33-27 win by the Chargers at home.

14. KC @ Pit

Favored: Pit by 5.5
Money: 56/44 Steelers
Sim: 18/24 Pit

My Take: Two teams with different strengths. I see this one closer and will take KC to keep it there.

15. Gia @ Min

Favored: Vikings by 4.5
Money: 58/42 Min.
Sim: 14/24 Min

My Take: The Giants aren't a bad team, but the way the Vikings are playing so far...hard to see a favorable outcome for the G-men. The Giants' best offensive output came in a defensively flawed loss to Washington. Otherwise, they've had trouble finding the end zone and lived by their defensive play. Minnesota? They looked decent against a so-so Titans, demonstrated the ability to win close against GB, then showed their new qb is getting comfortable in their impressive 22-10 handling of the Panthers. I see that streak continuing. Vikings.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Julio Jones had 300 yards receiving yesterday.

In 2011, the Falcons traded 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick, and 2 fourth round picks to the Browns in order to move from the 27th pick to the 6th pick so they could draft Jones.

At the time, Cleveland HC Pat Shurmur said: "Probably one of the greatest trades in draft history"

Let's take a look at who Cleveland picked with all those picks they got for Julio Jones:

Phil Taylor
Greg Little
Owen Marecic
Trent Richardson
Brandon Weeden

First off, not one of those players is on the Browns today. Secondly, not one of those players even dressed for an NFL game this weekend. Weeden is the only one still in the NFL.

Atlanta is 3-1, and Julio Jones had 300 yards receiving....... Cleveland is 0-4 and the only winless team in the NFL.

Gotta love the Browns.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Only my stellar first two weeks and a universally bad week for everyone in week three kept this week from dropping me out of the top tier in Pigskin Pick'em. Killed it on the straight up board, again. Had another tough week against the spread. Only a Vikings cover tonight can salve a weird week.

I called the Bengals right, the Jags upset, Redskins, Broncos, Texans and Cowboy victories (Texas was kind to me this week).

The close games that didn't turn for me? SD, Baltimore, Bears.

Surprises? I like the Steelers and have since week one, but I didn't see that beat down of the Chiefs coming. Seattle was a mild surprise. Maybe they're getting their offensive act together after all. Arizona and Carolina are really starting to make me shake my head.

We'll see about whether or not the Vikings can handle success against a good enough Giants tonight.

Quetzal

Only my stellar first two weeks and a universally bad week for everyone in week three kept this week from dropping me out of the top tier in Pigskin Pick'em. Killed it on the straight up board, again. Had another tough week against the spread. Only a Vikings cover tonight can salve a weird week.

I called the Bengals right, the Jags upset, Redskins, Broncos, Texans and Cowboy victories (Texas was kind to me this week).

The close games that didn't turn for me? SD, Baltimore, Bears.

Surprises? I like the Steelers and have since week one, but I didn't see that beat down of the Chiefs coming. Seattle was a mild surprise. Maybe they're getting their offensive act together after all. Arizona and Carolina are really starting to make me shake my head.

We'll see about whether or not the Vikings can handle success against a good enough Giants tonight.
To make matters worse, both QBs from the Panthers and Cardinals, respectively, are banged up.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
To make matters worse, both QBs from the Panthers and Cardinals, respectively, are banged up.
It's early, but already starting to look like Arizona might have missed its window and Carolina is going to go through a post Super Bowl slump.

beloved57

Look like my boys finally playing offence the way they should of been doing the past few years ! They have a good test coming this week with Denver, them boys can rush the passer !

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Look like my boys finally playing offence the way they should of been doing the past few years ! They have a good test coming this week with Denver, them boys can rush the passer !
One of the really exciting games coming up in week 5.

My 5 star games for week 5:

Atlanta @ Denver: a chance for Atlanta to make its statement, because we already know how good Denver's defense is and that offense is performing much better than last year.

Houston @ Minnesota: The Texans still have something to prove after being embarrassed in New England and looking less than dominant against Tennessee. The Vikings can solidify their position as a team to take very seriously.

Cincinnati @ Dallas: The Cowboys would take a powerful step forward if they could send Cincinnati home with a loss. If Dak wants the team, games like this can be the difference between earlier or later...by which I mean next year. Absent an all but miraculous run Romo will get to finish out this year.

4 Star:

SD @ Oak: two teams with talent, but both playing unevenly. Oakland has the more impressive history, having dealt the Falcons a loss in week 2, while SD has mostly played to the level of the competition, win or lose (except for the KC thumping). It's impressive, given the way the injury bug has bitten the Chargers.

Gia @ GB: hard to get a bead on these two. A game that could begin to define what we should expect in terms of trending.

3 Star: most of the rest...

Quetzal

You would not have wanted to be around me last night...

iGyByxE.png

Eli has one of the best receivers in the league and he still couldn't get it done. One more reception, 20 more passing yards, anything. Nope! Instead that dopey little punk threw an interception and no touchdowns. I should have known better but I didn't have much else.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Eugene Robinson is now 53 years old.

The following video shows what happens when you are arrested for soliciting a prostitute, and get no sleep the night before having to cover Rod Smith in the Super Bowl.

On Denver Sports radio that was the big joke for a while for some of the hosts. "if Eugene Robinson wasn't out chasing whores...."

And for those a little younger, he was the defender that Bo Jackson threw to the turf on his way through the tunnel against the Seahawks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You would not have wanted to be around me last night...
Eli has one of the best receivers in the league and he still couldn't get it done. One more reception, 20 more passing yards, anything. Nope! Instead that dopey little punk threw an interception and no touchdowns. I should have known better but I didn't have much else.
The problem with taking the Giants was that the Vikings are a top ten team against the pass...sixth, actually. I know, that sounds weird, but it's true. Teams are moving the ball, on average, under two fifty through the air against the Vikings. In a passing league, that's worth noting.

1San Francisco178.8456114.09022.5
2Buffalo183.8493123.38721.8
3Los Angeles192.330776.86315.8
4Green Bay193.3301100.37525.0
5New England210.8542135.58120.3
6Tennessee221.0

Lookie here:

Week 1: Mariota (who really is better than people realize) put up around 250, 2 td to 1 int and a very good 86+ rating.
Week 2: Rodgers could only manage 213, 1-1 and a lowly 70 rating.
Week 3: Cam, with mobility, could only find 262, 0-3 and a 47 rating.
Week 4: Eli managed 251, 0-1 and a 63.

Or, he's in good company. That Vikings defense is chewing up the passing game. They made Aaron look like a back up, and Cam and Eli look like really bad back ups. Only Mariota managed to look good against them. Not sure if that was his reads or, more likely, that Min simply adjusted and haven't looked back.

Quetzal

The problem with taking the Giants was that the Vikings are a top ten team against the pass...sixth, actually. I know, that sounds weird, but it's true. Teams are moving the ball, on average, under two fifty through the air against the Vikings. In a passing league, that's worth noting.

1San Francisco178.8456114.09022.5
2Buffalo183.8493123.38721.8
3Los Angeles192.330776.86315.8
4Green Bay193.3301100.37525.0
5New England210.8542135.58120.3
6Tennessee221.0

Lookie here:

Week 1: Mariota (who really is better than people realize) put up around 250, 2 td to 1 int and a very good 86+ rating.
Week 2: Rodgers could only manage 213, 1-1 and a lowly 70 rating.
Week 3: Cam, with mobility, could only find 262, 0-3 and a 47 rating.
Week 4: Eli managed 251, 0-1 and a 63.

Or, he's in good company. That Vikings defense is chewing up the passing game. They made Aaron look like a back up, and Cam and Eli look like really bad back ups. Only Mariota managed to look good against them. Not sure if that was his reads or, more likely, that Min simply adjusted and haven't looked back.
They defeated themselves. I mean, Eli made it pretty easy. I saw a few passes that were no where NEAR his receiver. They got rattled and couldn't pull themselves together. My fantasy team paid the price. :smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.