NFL 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just about that time again to start the regular season of broken dreams and prognostications that is the NFL season. Let's. Not really ready with my model so I'll live and die by winging it this week. As always, I predict by line and leave the coin flipping nonsense to people who don't follow the game closely enough to do more.

Week 1

1. Car @ Den: the Super Bowl rematch, sans a few important pieces, has the line favoring the Panthers by 3. I know it's in Denver and I know Peyton wasn't Peyton the last time around. Which is more important? The money is running toward Carolina (betters) at that margin like kids for Koolaid, 80/20. I'm going to take the upset here. I haven't set my book yet, so I can't call a score, but Carolina was embarrassed, Denver has lost important pieces. It should be the Panthers perfect storm of revenge...Just a feel thing here.

Call: Denver in the upset. Maybe Carolina by one. :eek:

2. TB @ Atl: another year, another offensive system for the Falcons...well, no, but it feels that way. At present the birds seem determined to do less with more than the Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz Braves managed. Unfair to the Braves, I know...okay, the line has it Tampa and 3. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you believe Winston is continuing to progress and if the Falcons are capable of progressing. Additional problems for the Falcons include a hobbled Freeny on defense and, more importantly, Jones at WR. Money has it an unconvicted 55/45 for TB.

Call: I just can't find faith in Atlanta, so I'm going with Tampa and the hot young hand.

3. Buf @ Bal: in a game only their mothers will love. The line has Bal favored by 3.5. Neither of these teams has shown anyone anything, so I'm going to think about the coaching...done. The money is all over that spread, picking the upset (ostensibly hung on that extra .5 and not as an endorsement of Ryan's method acting) 64/36. :think: I know preseason doesn't mean much, but in their last outing, with more starters playing most of the snaps, Baltimore looked ready to compete. Buffalo had 31 hung on them without answering by the might Lions.

Call: Ravens. Ryan begins his short season march toward unemployment compensation.

4. Chi @ Hou: let the next qb experiment in Texas begin (well, one of them). The line is convinced Houston has solved its problem, taking the Texans by 4.5. The money is 76/24 in favor of a sad flight home for the visiting team. Chicago is Chicago unless and until they prove otherwise...but then, who are the Texans?

Call: That's a lot of unproven points. Watt being questionable for the game makes me nervous, as does the guy under center (either). . . Hate calling this one, but let's go with Houston taking a shot at getting that signal calling monkey off their back. Texans.

5. Cin @ Jets: for some reason the line here is a modest 3 in favor of the Bengals. Did the Jets do something while I was napping? :idunno: Money has it 72/28 Cin. The Bengals are pretty good football team. The Jets?

Call: Bengals.

6. Cle @ Phi: the Eagles go into this game a heavy favorite with the line at 6.5 in favor. That many points has a nervous money crowd nodding yes at 53/47. The Eagle D has looked good so far, the offense, sporadic, but with potential. Cleveland has no real offense and a passable defense.

Call: Philly should mangle the Browns setting up their next half years worth of unrealistic expectations.

7. GB @ Jac: the Jaguars are looking more like a team that could surprise and less like, well, Jacksonville. On the other side of the ball is a team with a lot to prove at the offensive skill positions and otherwise, but a team that was beating people pretty badly until the wheels started wobbling. The line is a not so nervous 4.5 in favor of GB. But then, consider what that line would have been a couple of years ago. Money is split 81/19 in a GB amen, so only the gamblers are taking the Jags (one Jag team upset a week seems like plenty--go South Alabama!).

Call: I like GB by a td in a real contest.

8. Min @ Ten: two teams with more problems than a math exam and no one outside of their respective homes to care. The line is Vikes and 2.5. The money doesn't want anything to do with it, 55/45 in favor. That's all I care to do with this one.

Call: Coin flip. Give me the Ten.

9. SD @ KC: the line is KC and 7.5, which is the only reason the money is running a nervous 57/43 against. KC is better coached and better at most of the skill positions. This should be their game, especially at home. But that's one reason to be concerned. The other is the enormous size of that line...

Call: KC in a blow-out.

10. Oak @ NO: the Saints are a 1.5 fav at home by line...if you can call a point and a half being favored. The money is evenly split. Oakland had a respectable effort in a close loss against Seattle in their final preseason game. New Orleans got bum rushed by Baltimore in New Orleans. Maybe it's time to begin the rebuilding all around in the Big Easy...except at QB, of course.

Call: Oakland.

11. Mia @ Sea: seriously, is this about as anemic an opening week schedule as you could have envisioned or what? Okay, the Hawks are the obvious favorite here. The line has it a bruising 9.5 in favor. Even with that line the money is 57/43 sure Seattle can pull it off.

Call: Seattle isn't the old Seattle, which they only were for about two years...but Miami still looks an awful lot like Miami with an emphasis on awful. Seahawks.

12. Gia @ Dal: would have been more compelling with Romo under center. I mean more compelling if you wanted to bet the Cowboys. I'm actually more interested in this game without him. The line is Dal by 3.5. But I think that happened before the Romo injury...or maybe not. :eek: Money is an understandable 70/30 against that line.

Call: Giants.

13. Det @ Ind: my Colts are a 5.5 fav by line. The money says amen at 73/27. Who am I to argue?

Call: :D

14. NE @ Arz: the game that might have revived a dismal scheduling by the front office instead offers us this...thanks commissioner. I really, really can't wait...for Tom Brady to take the field and make the Pats interesting. Don't tell me how good his back up looked in preseason (did he?). This isn't preseason. This is also at Arizona and they're a really, really good football team. The line has Ariz by 5.5 and the money is 65/35 in favor, with the 35 being, of course, the entire state of Massachusetts. :plain:

Call: Seriously?

15. Pit @ Was: two teams with a few things to prove about their general direction...okay, one team. The Steelers just have to stay healthy and field a three dimensional offense at some point. The line says Pit by an unenthusiastic but solid 3.5. A number of computer models are taking Washington to upset at home. The money isn't buying the worry that might create, going 75/25 in favor of the visiting Steelers.

Call: The preseason late loss to Carolina made Pit look fairly unimpressive while the Redskins looked solid getting past TB in their closing of the meaningless contest period...the optimal word being meaningless. Steelers.

16. LA @ SF: is it just me or does that feel right? I mean geographically speaking. The game no one waited for is capping the week. Okay. Here goes. The line is the Rams by an amazing 2.5. I mean it's amazing that anyone actually has a line on this game. The money (both dollars) is 73/27 in favor.

Call: Just to be contrary, SF.

Quetzal

1. Car @ Den: the Super Bowl rematch, sans a few important pieces, has the line favoring the Panthers by 3. I know it's in Denver and I know Peyton wasn't Peyton the last time around. Which is more important? The money is running toward Carolina (betters) at that margin like kids for Koolaid, 80/20. I'm going to take the upset here. I haven't set my book yet, so I can't call a score, but Carolina was embarrassed, Denver has lost important pieces. It should be the Panthers perfect storm of revenge...Just a feel thing here.

Call: Denver in the upset. Maybe Carolina by one. :eek:
Let's talk about Denver for a bit. They lost Peyton but their depth chart is still terrifying. With folks like Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and CJ Anderson; Trevor Siemian will have some options. With that said, the main offensive squad that made Carolina so vicious is still in tact.

Panthers will get their revenge by 6.

2. TB @ Atl: another year, another offensive system for the Falcons...well, no, but it feels that way. At present the birds seem determined to do less with more than the Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz Braves managed. Unfair to the Braves, I know...okay, the line has it Tampa and 3. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you believe Winston is continuing to progress and if the Falcons are capable of progressing. Additional problems for the Falcons include a hobbled Freeny on defense and, more importantly, Jones at WR. Money has it an unconvicted 55/45 for TB.

Call: I just can't find faith in Atlanta, so I'm going with Tampa and the hot young hand.
Matt Ryan has put in the work but we certainly can't under estimate Winston and company. But, gun to my head, I will go against the local expert and go with a (semi healthy) Julio and the Falcons at home, but it will be close.

3. Buf @ Bal: in a game only their mothers will love. The line has Bal favored by 3.5. Neither of these teams has shown anyone anything, so I'm going to think about the coaching...done. The money is all over that spread, picking the upset (ostensibly hung on that extra .5 and not as an endorsement of Ryan's method acting) 64/36. :think: I know preseason doesn't mean much, but in their last outing, with more starters playing most of the snaps, Baltimore looked ready to compete. Buffalo had 31 hung on them without answering by the might Lions.

Call: Ravens. Ryan begins his short season march toward unemployment compensation.
You hit the nail on the head and I was really impressed with Baltimore's defense more than anything else. Their backfield is kind of a mess (what is the story with Forsett? I guess he is hanging around?). Anyway, Baltimore will take this one home on the back of their secondary and special teams.

4. Chi @ Hou: let the next qb experiment in Texas begin (well, one of them). The line is convinced Houston has solved its problem, taking the Texans by 4.5. The money is 76/24 in favor of a sad flight home for the visiting team. Chicago is Chicago unless and until they prove otherwise...but then, who are the Texans?

Call: That's a lot of unproven points. Watt being questionable for the game makes me nervous, as does the guy under center (either). . . Hate calling this one, but let's go with Houston taking a shot at getting that signal calling monkey off their back. Texans.
Oh wow, Cutler is still around? Color me surprised, but then again, what other options do they have? My heart really goes out to Alshon Jeffery who has the potential to be incredible... too bad his supporting cast doesn't help out. You would think this would be pretty clear cut, but if we are going with the line at 4.5, it complicates things. Sure. The Bears can move the ball as well as a retiree playing volleyball, but at the same time... Houston? Dang I don't know.

Brock has some help in the form of Miller & Hopkins but is that enough? I think so but only because the Bears defense has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese. Texans

5. Cin @ Jets: for some reason the line here is a modest 3 in favor of the Bengals. Did the Jets do something while I was napping? :idunno: Money has it 72/28 Cin. The Bengals are pretty good football team. The Jets?

Call: Bengals.
The Jets have a great look offense... if you ignore their QB, Town. With folks like Brandon Marshall and Forte, Fitzy has some weapons. The problem is Fitzpatrick has not given me a reason to believe. Dalton looked great and his offense is always deadly. Bengals by 6 or more.

6. Cle @ Phi: the Eagles go into this game a heavy favorite with the line at 6.5 in favor. That many points has a nervous money crowd nodding yes at 53/47. The Eagle D has looked good so far, the offense, sporadic, but with potential. Cleveland has no real offense and a passable defense.

Call: Philly should mangle the Browns setting up their next half years worth of unrealistic expectations.
Johnny Football went back to college, here is hoping the Browns took a few lessons of their own. But I doubt it. The line is in favor of the Eagles by a landslide 6.5 and I think they can over come that fairly easily. Eagles soar by 7+.

7. GB @ Jac: the Jaguars are looking more like a team that could surprise and less like, well, Jacksonville. On the other side of the ball is a team with a lot to prove at the offensive skill positions and otherwise, but a team that was beating people pretty badly until the wheels started wobbling. The line is a not so nervous 4.5 in favor of GB. But then, consider what that line would have been a couple of years ago. Money is split 81/19 in a GB amen, so only the gamblers are taking the Jags (one Jag team upset a week seems like plenty--go South Alabama!).

Call: I like GB by a td in a real contest.
Not a chance, even with -4.5 going to the Aaron and the boys, they are too dynamic and, frankly, too good to let the opening game turn into an embarrassment. Packers

8. Min @ Ten: two teams with more problems than a math exam and no one outside of their respective homes to care. The line is Vikes and 2.5. The money doesn't want anything to do with it, 55/45 in favor. That's all I care to do with this one.

Call: Coin flip. Give me the Ten.
Screw it, I will take the vikings here for the sake of argument. They just need to keep it close and their defense is still good enough. Vikings by 3.

9. SD @ KC: the line is KC and 7.5, which is the only reason the money is running a nervous 57/43 against. KC is better coached and better at most of the skill positions. This should be their game, especially at home. But that's one reason to be concerned. The other is the enormous size of that line...

Call: KC in a blow-out.
I have said it once and I will say it again. Put Rivers with any other offense and he could be a star. Unfortunately, he has to work with what he has which is next to nothing. He is a great pick up in fantasy, by the way. You can usually expect 250 and a TD or two. Unfortunately, Maclin and friends have something else to say about that. KC wins this game... but by how much? I give them 10, Chiefs

10. Oak @ NO: the Saints are a 1.5 fav at home by line...if you can call a point and a half being favored. The money is evenly split. Oakland had a respectable effort in a close loss against Seattle in their final preseason game. New Orleans got bum rushed by Baltimore in New Orleans. Maybe it's time to begin the rebuilding all around in the Big Easy...except at QB, of course.

Call: Oakland.
Now hold on a minute there professor, are we looking at the same depth chart? Brees, Snead, Cook, Fleener and Ingram? Fine, it is your funeral. I think N.O. can run away with this, but they could be their own worst enemy. Saints

11. Mia @ Sea: seriously, is this about as anemic an opening week schedule as you could have envisioned or what? Okay, the Hawks are the obvious favorite here. The line has it a bruising 9.5 in favor. Even with that line the money is 57/43 sure Seattle can pull it off.

Call: Seattle isn't the old Seattle, which they only were for about two years...but Miami still looks an awful lot like Miami with an emphasis on awful. Seahawks.
We are in agreement here. Miami lost Miller which limits their run game a bit more and their passing offense just isn't good enough against the Seattle defense. Wilson has targets to choose from and my only question is will he begin to use Jimmy Graham? Hawks

12. Gia @ Dal: would have been more compelling with Romo under center. I mean more compelling if you wanted to bet the Cowboys. I'm actually more interested in this game without him. The line is Dal by 3.5. But I think that happened before the Romo injury...or maybe not. :eek: Money is an understandable 70/30 against that line.

Call: Giants.
This is an easy one with the line at 3.5. The Cowboys offense is a question mark... well, a bigger question mark than before. I will be tuning into this one just to see what they can pull off. My guess is not much while Eli pulls them apart. Giants

13. Det @ Ind: my Colts are a 5.5 fav by line. The money says amen at 73/27. Who am I to argue?

Call: :D
Andrew Luck is looking great and as long as Hilton can stay healthy, I look for them to tag team this year into the playoffs. The supporting cast isn't too bad, either! But here is the problem... what about their defense? I think this will be a shoot out but your colts pull it out. Indy

14. NE @ Arz: the game that might have revived a dismal scheduling by the front office instead offers us this...thanks commissioner. I really, really can't wait...for Tom Brady to take the field and make the Pats interesting. Don't tell me how good his back up looked in preseason (did he?). This isn't preseason. This is also at Arizona and they're a really, really good football team. The line has Ariz by 5.5 and the money is 65/35 in favor, with the 35 being, of course, the entire state of Massachusetts. :plain:

Call: Seriously?
I don't know, this will be interesting for sure. It will really highlight the Patriots reliance on Brady if they flouder here. I say that because they have some exceptional offensive tools at their disposal. Further, Palmer gets confused for what teams he plays for. He had how many turnovers?! Nevertheless, without Brady under center, the Patriots will struggle. Cardinals

15. Pit @ Was: two teams with a few things to prove about their general direction...okay, one team. The Steelers just have to stay healthy and field a three dimensional offense at some point. The line says Pit by an unenthusiastic but solid 3.5. A number of computer models are taking Washington to upset at home. The money isn't buying the worry that might create, going 75/25 in favor of the visiting Steelers.

Call: The preseason late loss to Carolina made Pit look fairly unimpressive while the Redskins looked solid getting past TB in their closing of the meaningless contest period...the optimal word being meaningless. Steelers.
Upsets? No way. Big Ben is healthy and his supporting receivers will do just fine. I admire the optimism in Washington, though. Pitt

16. LA @ SF: is it just me or does that feel right? I mean geographically speaking. The game no one waited for is capping the week. Okay. Here goes. The line is the Rams by an amazing 2.5. I mean it's amazing that anyone actually has a line on this game. The money (both dollars) is 73/27 in favor.

Call: Just to be contrary, SF.
This game sucks, let's just say it. I don't care about it and I had to look up the Rams QB because I couldn't even remember his name. That is how little I care about it. We have agreed quite a bit this week so I will take the Rams to make it fun.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you should take the Boys. You can never tell often about a QB until he has to play in the NFL. And Prescott has it. A superstar? That remains to be seen. But he was more than competent.

I also seeing that Cleveland has their best coach since....Schottenheimer? Belicheat had a losing record there. Tet can tell us what it was. So Hugh is the best they have had in a long time. And they finally drafted some offense. I think they will be much closer with the Eagles, or even win. Or Browns be Browns, I won't be watching.

Carolina probably.

5.5 is a lot for NE, even without Brady. Although just on talent Arizona should cover.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Week 1 predictions from around the web

Totals using available predictions from SB Nation panel, Fox program results, ESPN partial panel.

So far it looks like this, straight up:

1. Car @ Denver: Car 12-5
2. GB @ Jac: GB 16-1
3. Chi @ Hou: Hou 17-0
4. Cle @ Phi: Phi 12-5
5. TB @ Atl: Atl 14-3
6. Buf @ Bal: Bal 13-4
7. Min @ Ten: Ten 12-5
8. Cin @ Jets: Cin 11-6
9. Oak @ NO: Oak 12-5
10. SD @ KC: KC 17-0
11. Mia @ Sea: Sea 17-0
12. Det @ Ind: Ind 13-4
13. Gia @ Dal: Gia 11-6
14. NE @ Arz: Arz 16-1
15. Pit @ Was: Pit 9-8
16. LA @ SF: LA 10-7

Sure things: Hou, Sea, KC
Nearly sure things: GB, Arz
Strongly favored: Atl, Bal, Ind
Favored: Phi, Cin, Oak, Ten, Gia
Weak Favorite: LA
Coin toss: Pit/Was

Quetzal

Week 1 predictions from around the web

Totals using available predictions from SB Nation panel, Fox program results, ESPN partial panel.

So far it looks like this, straight up:

1. Car @ Denver: Car 12-5
2. GB @ Jac: GB 16-1
3. Chi @ Hou: Hou 17-0
4. Cle @ Phi: Phi 12-5
5. TB @ Atl: Atl 14-3
6. Buf @ Bal: Bal 13-4
7. Min @ Ten: Ten 12-5
8. Cin @ Jets: Cin 11-6
9. Oak @ NO: Oak 12-5
10. SD @ KC: KC 17-0
11. Mia @ Sea: Sea 17-0
12. Det @ Ind: Ind 13-4
13. Gia @ Dal: Gia 11-6
15. Pit @ Was: Pit 9-8
16. LA @ SF: LA 10-7

Sure things: Hou, Sea, KC
Nearly sure things: GB, Arz
Strongly favored: Atl, Bal, Ind
Favored: Phi, Cin, Oak, Ten, Gia
Weak Favorite: LA
Coin toss: Pit/Was
I am watching the LA/SF game for the same reasons I watch Nascar: the wrecks.

Quetzal

Just noticed this one. I think people are counting out NE a bit too early on this one. I really think their offense is good enough to give Palmer and company a run for their money... what did I pick on this one?

I don't know, this will be interesting for sure. It will really highlight the Patriots reliance on Brady if they flouder here. I say that because they have some exceptional offensive tools at their disposal. Further, Palmer gets confused for what teams he plays for. He had how many turnovers?! Nevertheless, without Brady under center, the Patriots will struggle. Cardinals
Oh yeah... nevermind. :eek:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Never count out Belicheat. He might poison their food. Then say the ball boy did it on his own.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just noticed this one. I think people are counting out NE a bit too early on this one. I really think their offense is good enough to give Palmer and company a run for their money... what did I pick on this one?

Oh yeah... nevermind. :eek:
Look, if New England has proven anything its that it can take a qb who won't do much anywhere else and get serious production out of him. But unless Arizona's wheels fall off this is too much team, too early for a green guy under center. The good news for New England is they get Miami and Buffalo at home too in this four game penalty stretch. The Texans are coming, of course, (and does this schedule feel like a slight tip of the hat to Kraft?) but that makes a 2-2 start realistic, meaning Tom should control the divisional destiny and has a chance to still be in the race for top seeding.

Quetzal

Never count out Belicheat. He might poison their food. Then say the ball boy did it on his own.
Was it the Patriots who got caught up in the tablet debacle last year? Where their opponents tablets didn't work so they took them all away? Can't remember.

Quetzal

Look, if New England has proven anything its that it can take a qb who won't do much anywhere else and get serious production out of him. But unless Arizona's wheels fall off this is too much team, too early for a green guy under center. The good news for New England is they get Miami and Buffalo at home too in this four game penalty stretch. The Texans are coming, of course, (and does this schedule feel like a slight tip of the hat to Kraft?) but that makes a 2-2 start realistic, meaning Tom should control the divisional destiny and has a chance to still be in the race for top seeding.
Interesting, do you think the Texans pose a threat as is? A lot can change in the weeks that are still to come, but I am not convinced.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Belicheat through the years.

I don't care that Brady likes the ball a little lower on pressure. Just quit the lying about. Marshall Faulk, formerly of the Saint Louis Rams still says they were cheated and changed the playbook at halftime because the Pats knew.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Belicheat through the years.

I don't care that Brady likes the ball a little lower on pressure. Just quit the lying about. Marshall Faulk, formerly of the Saint Louis Rams still says they were cheated and changed the playbook at halftime because the Pats knew.
Well, that change netted them 0 points in the third quarter, so I'm thinking there was a bit more to it than Marshal will admit. Sometimes a better team loses on matchups and nerve. It happened to New England twice.

Brady played a slightly better game than Warner and Smith ran better than Faulk when it mattered. Not a lot of difference, just enough. And Adam "I'm heading for Canton" V sealed the deal.

My complaint with them is how they got to the game.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Interesting, do you think the Texans pose a threat as is? A lot can change in the weeks that are still to come, but I am not convinced.
I think that defense, if Watt is feeling his oats, will pressure the kid to death and force mistakes. I don't like New England to win that one, looking at it off the cuff.

Quetzal

I think that defense, if Watt is feeling his oats, will pressure the kid to death and force mistakes. I don't like New England to win that one, looking at it off the cuff.
This is true, but NE has a decent defense, too. Brock has a lot to prove there as well. It would be interesting for sure, but Brock does have more NFL experience under him than the other guy. Who is he, again? :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.