Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I believe in Him
That's a great place to begin.

I believe I will be forgiven
What do you think the hold-up is?

I believe I must do better
When do you think you'll do good enough?

ok loser
This message is hidden because ok loser is on your ignore list.
Found that right behind my last post here. Hard to tell if it's just a coincidence or he's left some adorable little nugget of wisdom, like an insult to the dead or lawyers or the South or who knows what might have sprouted from that deranged little noggin?

It's like one of those Halloween grab-bags you'd fish for as a kid at the local carnival. Most of the fun was to be had before you opened it and discovered a bunch of worthless crap inside. So I'll just keep his bag/trap shut this way and keep the inevitable disappointment at bay.

Happy Halloween, everyone. :eek:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

ok loser
This message is hidden because ok loser is on your ignore list.

Found that right behind my last post here. Hard to tell if it's just a coincidence or he's left some adorable little nugget of wisdom, like an insult to the dead or lawyers or the South or who knows what might have sprouted from that deranged little noggin?

It's like one of those Halloween grab-bags you'd fish for as a kid at the local carnival. Most of the fun was to be had before you opened it and discovered a bunch of worthless crap inside. So I'll just keep his bag/trap shut this way and keep the inevitable disappointment at bay.

Happy Halloween, everyone. :eek:

obsessive.jpg

:mock: mr obsessive

PureX

Everyone is so different though, PureX. What's helpful for one person might not do anything at all for another. I don't know if it's always ego. Perhaps some are so broken there's no ego to tame. As you said, your friend's is quite fragile, and so what you see as good for you, being in a stronger place, might not be good for him at this point in his life. Fragile might not get stronger, fragile might shatter, if not handled very delicately.
I have long noticed a commonality among many of the folks I've known over the years that have fallen under this sort of spell, and that is that they were treated very badly growing up. They experienced a lot of 'meanness' from their own parents and siblings, and have a lot of fear and anger in them as a result. And I think the mistreatment also accounts for their tendency to fear, doubt, and in some cases even loath their own individual uniqueness. It's why they so want their 'selves' to be swallowed up by their 'identity-group'.

Jamie Gigliotti

I have long noticed a commonality among many of the folks I've known over the years that have fallen under this sort of spell, and that is that they were treated very badly growing up. They experienced a lot of 'meanness' from their own parents and siblings, and have a lot of fear and anger in them as a result. And I think the mistreatment also accounts for their tendency to fear, doubt, and in some cases even loath their own individual uniqueness. It's why they so want their 'selves' to be swallowed up by their 'identity-group'.
I think the longing comes from the need of love and relationship, which God longs to fulfill in us. The trinity, the body of Christ/His Spiritual church as Ravi Zacharias puts it, "Unity and diversity".

Uniqueness is cherished, but also union in love.

PureX

I think the longing comes from the need of love and relationship, which God longs to fulfill in us. The trinity, the body of Christ/His Spiritual church as Ravi Zacharias puts it, "Unity and diversity".

Uniqueness is cherished, but also union in love.
That may be true. Perhaps the need to identify one's self through a group is a way of creating a new "family" for themselves.

However, keep in mind that this is also an expression of a kind of emotional retardation. As these are adults trying to recreate an illusion of family for themselves, and are doing it by rejecting their adult autonomy and individuality.

It's not a healthy solution.

Jamie Gigliotti

That may be true. Perhaps the need to identify one's self through a group is a way of creating a new "family" for themselves.

However, keep in mind that this is also an expression of a kind of emotional retardation. As these are adults trying to recreate an illusion of family for themselves, and are doing it by rejecting their adult autonomy and individuality.

It's not a healthy solution.

True.