"My identity dictates my behavior"

Jamie Gigliotti

"Indeed the first bridge of the gospel is that my identity is found in Jesus Christ because of whom I must tame my passions. My identity dictates my behavior." Ravi Zacharias; rzim.org; 'How Wide the Divide: Sexuality at the Forefront, Culture at the Crossroads'; July 15, 2015

How could your identity truly be found in Christ with it not effecting what you do for the better?

glorydaz

"Indeed the first bridge of the gospel is that my identity is found in Jesus Christ because of whom I must tame my passions. My identity dictates my behavior." Ravi Zacharias; rzim.org; 'How Wide the Divide: Sexuality at the Forefront, Culture at the Crossroads'; July 15, 2015

How could your identity truly be found in Christ with it not effecting what you do for the better?

"I must tame my passions"? It can't start there, that's for sure.

Danoh

If you mean awareness or sense of identity, through being taught about it, yeah, I'd agree, Eph. 4:21.

One of the Apostle Paul's Identity Statements:

"I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal. 2:20.

Jamie Gigliotti

If you mean awareness or sense of identity, through being taught about it, yeah, I'd agree, Eph. 4:21.

One of the Apostle Paul's Identity Statements:

"I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Gal. 2:20.
Great verse along these lines...

PureX

Identity by politics, identity by religion, identity by wealth, … there seems to be a real problem these days with people identifying themselves as themselves. Why has it become so difficult for people to think for themselves, and decide for themselves what they will believe and how they should behave? We seem to be becoming a nation of idiots, all freely lapping up whatever our ideological overlords tell us. From Rush Limbaugh to Bill O'Reilly to Obama, to the cadre of TV Bible idolators, the media has become the mothership, sending out it's endless stream of programming intended to tell us all what to think, what to do, what to believe and who we are, because it doesn't dare let us start thinking for ourselves. And of course we can't think for ourselves so long as we're drowning in the din of the mothership's incessant propaganda.

God made us each to be uniquely ourselves. Not to throw ourselves away to join some Bible-worshipping religious cult. Turn off the radios, shut off the TVs, and put down the Bibles, and take the time to sit with and face yourself. And to find out who you really are, without someone else telling you who you're supposed to be.

And then be yourself, as God create you and intended you to be.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
God made us each to be uniquely ourselves. Not to throw ourselves away to join some Bible-worshipping religious cult. Turn off the radios, shut off the TVs, and put down the Bibles, and take the time to sit with and face yourself. And to find out who you really are, without someone else telling you who you're supposed to be.

Have you found out who you really are, or is it still a work in progress for you?

Do you think you are right now who you were intended to be? Do you see yourself at this moment as being fully yourself?

Those are personal questions and I respect that you may not want to answer them. If you don't, just know that I was thinking about what you said.

PureX

Have you found out who you really are, or is it still a work in progress for you?
For the most part, I have. But it's been a struggle because like all of us, I grew being told who I was by others, and I believed them because I didn't know any better. And once I believed them, I had little reason to question it, until life made it impossible for my to keep on believing it.

But we don't all have to wait until we're caught in dire straits. We could begin the process now, slowly, and find our real selves over time, and without so much painful struggle.
Do you think you are right now who you were intended to be? Do you see yourself at this moment as being fully yourself?
Yes, I do. But I also know that I fall into old patters of behavior and ways of thinking. And I also know that I don't know myself, fully. That there are aspects to me that I have not yet seen manifested. Life as 'PureX' is an adventure. As it is should be for each of us.
Those are personal questions and I respect that you may not want to answer them. If you don't, just know that I was thinking about what you said.
We shouldn't need to fear being honest. Even if it turns out that we're wrong. How else can we learn? Besides, we're just electrons on a screen, here, anyway. :)

elohiym

An adopted child of God, of whom Jesus is not ashamed to call brother, sister... There could not be a better identity

Amen. It is written, "I have said, Ye are [elohiym]; and all of you are children of the most High." Paul preached, "...[F]or in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.' Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.…

elohiym

From a psychology standpoint, that's very true. Attitudes follow behavior.

Could you elaborate, maybe provide an argument? It seems that behavior follows attitudes and consequences follow behavior. I can believe those consequences are contributing to the formation of new attitudes and new behavior follows from those new attitudes.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
An adopted child of God, of whom Jesus is not ashamed to call brother, sister... There could not be a better identity

The people of Jacob were adopted as God's nation but for the most part they were not begotten of the Spirit. They lacked the faith necessary for salvation.

We are begotten of the Spirit to be born of the Spirit at the coming of Jesus to establish his kingdom on earth.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Identity by politics, identity by religion, identity by wealth, … there seems to be a real problem these days with people identifying themselves as themselves. Why has it become so difficult for people to think for themselves, and decide for themselves what they will believe and how they should behave? We seem to be becoming a nation of idiots, all freely lapping up whatever our ideological overlords tell us. From Rush Limbaugh to Bill O'Reilly to Obama, to the cadre of TV Bible idolators, the media has become the mothership, sending out it's endless stream of programming intended to tell us all what to think, what to do, what to believe and who we are, because it doesn't dare let us start thinking for ourselves. And of course we can't think for ourselves so long as we're drowning in the din of the mothership's incessant propaganda.

:up: