Morals in Modern-Day Society

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You don't control culture. No one does. The fact that you think you can control it indicates that you don't recognize or respect reality. You think you own it as if you were God. And that you can judge it and condemn it and control it as if you were God.

When did Christianity become so insanely arrogant?

way to generalize, sparky

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"What you are is blinded by your own self-righteousness."
:yawn: I have no righteousness of my own (Phil. 3:9). :dizzy:

"So much so that you think you are as God..."
:yawn: I'm a created being (Gen. 1:26–28). :skeptic:

"...ruler and judge of all the world..."
:yawn: God rules and reigns (Ps 24:1). :juggle:

"...and of everyone on it."
:yawn: Pr 31:9

You thought we were to stand idly by as you (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10) corrupt our world? :hammer: We share his word. :poly: If you don't like it, get your own universe.

Granite

Hall of Fame
A century ago we would've had different if valid social concerns. Each generation seems to think the one before it was both equal parts clueless and decadent, and we respond accordingly.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
A century ago we would've had different if valid social concerns. Each generation seems to think the one before it was both equal parts clueless and decadent, and we respond accordingly.

Who is
emoticones_gestos_cruzando-los-dedos2_en.PlanetaEmoticon.com.gif
we, Satanist? :reals: Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10, Eph 6:12

bybee

The elder generation(s) of adults also tend to think of the younger as equal parts clueless and decadent.

As an Elder I am amazed and in awe of what the younger generation knows in terms of data and knowledge.
But, I am disheartened by their acceptance of a wide range of morality contained within which are behaviors which have been shown historically to be harmful to society.
But, it is a very different world from the one in which I was comfortable. So it doesn't really matter to me.
If ye sow the wind ye reap the whirlwind and that is what is looming I'm afraid.

PureX

The elder generation(s) of adults also tend to think of the younger as equal parts clueless and decadent.
And that's unfortunate, because although there are some important life-lessons that the young have not yet learned, they are usually more honest, noble, energetic, and idealistic than their elders. And almost always, real positive social change starts with them. As they haven't yet succumbed to the idea that 'we can't do it'.

The one thing I most despair of for our current youth is that they have recognized just how corrupted their economic and governmental institutions have become, and I think they've lost hope of ever correcting that. They tried to effect some change with the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement, but were basically ignored by the rest of society, and so they learned a terrible lesson: not to bother trying.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
And that's unfortunate, because although there are some important life-lessons that the young have not yet learned, they are usually more honest, noble, energetic, and idealistic than their elders. And almost always, real positive social change starts with them. As they haven't yet succumbed to the idea that 'we can't do it'.

The one thing I most despair of for our current youth is that they have recognized just how corrupted their economic and governmental institutions have become, and I think they've lost hope of ever correcting that. They tried to effect some change with the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement, but were basically ignored by the rest of society, and so they learned a terrible lesson: not to bother trying.

how do you know about our youth?

are you talking about the ones raised without a father?
are you talking about the ones raised in a day care center?

are you talking about the ones who have been taught that it is okay to kill your unborn baby?
are you talking about the ones who have been taught that marriage has no real meaning?
are you talking about the ones who have been taught that the world owes them a living?

Muires

Lot of good points. Except that the lack of morals was rampant at any time in history in almost any society. Is there something different today? No.

Therefore, it's a lost game to try and change this or figure it out or do something about it. With 7 billion people? No way.

bybee

Lot of good points. Except that the lack of morals was rampant at any time in history in almost any society. Is there something different today? No.

Therefore, it's a lost game to try and change this or figure it out or do something about it. With 7 billion people? No way.

It begins with me ... and thee.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Therefore, it's a lost game to try and change this or figure it out or do something about it.

the least you can do is get out of the way while we try to do something about it

vote republican
simply because the democratic party supports abortion

Quincy

The moral divide in the US was always inevitable as we've moved to a more centralized perspective. I don't think it's a recent development by any means but it is something that I believe is unique to us. The smaller and more tightly wound your group is, the more likely they will all share the same moral compass. Whether that is from fear of authority or something more instinctual, I don't know.

It's all common sense stuff. If you have a larger group, naturally, viewpoints will differ. As the country became more of a federalized nation with a centralized form of media instead of a union of individual states mostly concerning themselves with local affairs, some started to see a change or decline in morality. With the emergence of the internet, panic over the US's moral backbone went through the roof. Suddenly, people with a different viewpoint than your own were there in your home, every time you logged online.

The less we knew about different people and what went on in other areas of the nation, the more moral we thought people were because the only people we knew of, were the ones around us. Now, even though things are more connected, we couldn't be more separate simply because we know how different other people are. They were always people who disagreed and now that geography doesn't seperate us, things are crazy.

That doesn't mean there isn't lots of people like ebenz out there. It just means that they get lost in the noise.

PureX

The moral divide in the US was always inevitable as we've moved to a more centralized perspective. I don't think it's a recent development by any means but it is something that I believe is unique to us. The smaller and more tightly wound your group is, the more likely they will all share the same moral compass. Whether that is from fear of authority or something more instinctual, I don't know.

It's all common sense stuff. If you have a larger group, naturally, viewpoints will differ. As the country became more of a federalized nation with a centralized form of media instead of a union of individual states mostly concerning themselves with local affairs, some started to see a change or decline in morality. With the emergence of the internet, panic over the US's moral backbone went through the roof. Suddenly, people with a different viewpoint than your own were there in your home, every time you logged online.

The less we knew about different people and what went on in other areas of the nation, the more moral we thought people were because the only people we knew of, were the ones around us. Now, even though things are more connected, we couldn't be more separate simply because we know how different other people are. They were always people who disagreed and now that geography doesn't seperate us, things are crazy.

That doesn't mean there isn't lots of people like ebenz out there. It just means that they get lost in the noise.
The media that connected us over the 150 years has a lot to do with who we are becoming as well. Radio, TV, and now the internet have all been taken over by advertisers trying to sell us stiff, unceasingly. And they lie to us to do that, all the time. They tell us we are not OK until we have whatever they sell. And they tell us this so incessantly, and so unremittingly, that we believe it. So we become a society in which having the money to buy stuff has become of utmost importance. Especially now that we can longer provide these things for ourselves. And this obsession with having money so we can buy stuff certainly does corrupt us, ethically and morally.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I'm glad to see you back around here and posting a bit, Quincy. I always enjoy reading your posts.