Morals in Modern-Day Society

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, I don't confuse religion with morality. I believe that religion is part of morality which stems from God to begin with.
That sense of "oughtness" we all feel is the moral law given to all by the Moral Lawgiver—God. It is not that morals do not exist, it is that they have been supplanted by a fallen mankind who know these laws but have replaced them with vain imaginations per Romans 1:18-32.

AMR

PureX

Actually, I don't confuse religion with morality. I believe that religion is part of morality which stems from God to begin with.
Everything you listed in your OP as "morality" was in fact morality according to a specific religion. And fewer and fewer people are willing to allow that religion to dictate their moral imperatives, anymore. It's not that people are becoming immoral. It's that they are rejecting that religious dominance of moral ideology that they used to believe they had to accept.

The down side of this rejection is that without religion dictating our moral imperatives, we have to determine them for ourselves. And that creates a certain degree of 'moral chaos', which I think is what you and many others are really noticing and commenting on.

Conservatives always want to 'conserve' the status quo, and so they are naturally going to be against this changing moral dynamic. As they will see it is some sort of 'downfall'. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just confusing.

glorydaz

Everything you listed in your OP as "morality" was in fact morality according to a specific religion. And fewer and fewer people are willing to allow that religion to dictate their moral imperatives, anymore. It's not that people are becoming immoral. It's that they are rejecting that religious dominance of moral ideology that they used to believe they had to accept.

The down side of this rejection is that without religion dictating our moral imperatives, we have to determine them for ourselves. And that creates a certain degree of 'moral chaos', which I think is what you and many others are really noticing and commenting on.

Conservatives always want to 'conserve' the status quo, and so they are naturally going to be against this changing moral dynamic. As they will see it is some sort of 'downfall'. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just confusing.

It's only confusing when someone has ignored their God-given conscience for so long they no longer recognize right from wrong.

PureX

It's only confusing when someone has ignored their God-given conscience for so long they no longer recognize right from wrong.
We are living in complicated times. With many different cultural messages. And with an "every-man-for-himself' economy that's getting more and more ruthless and aggressive every day. It can be difficult for people to hear and follow their consciences in such a melee.

But then I doubt it was ever easy.

glorydaz

We are living in complicated times. With many different cultural messages. And with an "every-man-for-himself' economy that's getting more and more ruthless and aggressive every day. It can be difficult for people to hear and follow their consciences in such a melee.

But then I doubt it was ever easy.

I think it was easier before we started making excuses for doing those things we knew weren't right. But, yes, I agree it's more difficult in this day and age than it was when everything was simpler. Still, deep down inside we know, and it bothers us more than we'll admit...even to ourselves.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Someone must have hijacked your account patrick as those words certainly aren't coming from the same person who wrote these words just over a month ago:

Originally Posted by patrick jane
P.S. i am not against homosexuals or gay marriage either when based on love and family and doing good and charitable deeds. Jesus Christ's Commandments are from the Father and His teachings are as well. Meshak is right -
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4404135&postcount=12

I WAS ALL HIGH -

PureX

We're not handing our culture over to reprobates (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10, Lk 19:13, Jn 9:4, Mt 5:13-16). :dizzy:
You don't control culture. No one does. The fact that you think you can control it indicates that you don't recognize or respect reality. You think you own it as if you were God. And that you can judge it and condemn it and control it as if you were God.

When did Christianity become so insanely arrogant?

bybee

You don't control culture. No one does. The fact that you think you can control it indicates that you don't recognize or respect reality. You think you own it as if you were God. And that you can judge it and condemn it and control it as if you were God.

When did Christianity become so insanely arrogant?

Wouldn't that just be one person?

PureX

We are salt and light (Mt 5:13-16). If you had your way (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10) we would be more putrid.
What you are is blinded by your own self-righteousness. So much so that you think you are as God; ruler and judge of all the world, and of everyone on it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
What you are is blinded by your own self-righteousness. So much so that you think you are as God; ruler and judge of all the world, and of everyone on it.

while your mind has turned to mush and you are unable to discern good from evil