Miss USA says to love the terrorists..

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Jesus' Parable of the Good Samaritan was much more than simply "How to be a good neighbor."

The Samaritans were unclean. Their temple was not in Jeruslem but on Mount Gerizim. They were seen as the illegitimate heirs to Israel.

To imagine a Samaritan as "good" made about as much sense to Jesus' listeners as "Love your enemies."

To preserve the original bite of the original parable, it might have been something like the Parable of the Homo Terrorist with AIDs or the Parable of the Sweatly Black Lesbian.

God's love can come from unexpected places.

Interesting point.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Strike one. Not one. Unless you know libs who support gun rights and oppose abortion, by way of.

always makes saints out of people who are not saints...
Never did anything of the sort. I've actually noted his flaws in a couple of threads more particularly about him. What I am mindful of is that most of us are flawed. Some more than others and some more quietly, but all of us require grace. And what I note about King is that despite his shortcomings he did something remarkable in service to an inarguable good.

What have you done?

if someone has perverted sex, s/he is a prime candidate for sainthood to you...
You confuse a willingness to say whatever suits you with the truth and without any other demonstrable foundation. Your history book is written in crayon.

whereas those who are faithful to their spouses (Rubio, Reagan... etc), you vilify.
Which I also never did. So you're perfectly wrong, which is something. That said, I am faithful to my spouse. You vilify me. So enjoy that petard.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Purex nailed it. Jesus showed us the way out of the cycle of violence. Only a few of us, like St. Francis, Ghandi, MLK, and others actually have managed to emulate His message.

Most of us can only aspire to it. Or turn our backs on what He said, entirely.

MLK was a promiscuous, plagiarist punk.

He was a man, far beyond your own self. And yes, like many great men, with serious flaws. And yet he had the courage to actually try what Christ told us to do, and he succeeded. America is a better, more just nation, because of MLK.

How ironic that you would mention his name
in the same sentence as the others.

I think we all understand where you're coming from. Hope you get better.

Your lackof education is showing.

Well, you know how ignorant barbarians are.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
whereas those who are faithful to their spouses (Rubio, Reagan... etc), you vilify.

Reagan's first marriage fell apart because he was repeatedly unfaithful to his wife, and ultimately abandoned her.

rainee

Jesus' Parable of the Good Samaritan was much more than simply "How to be a good neighbor."

The Samaritans were unclean. Their temple was not in Jeruslem but on Mount Gerizim. They were seen as the illegitimate heirs to Israel.

To imagine a Samaritan as "good" made about as much sense to Jesus' listeners as "Love your enemies."

To preserve the original bite of the original parable, it might have been something like the Parable of the Homo Terrorist with AIDs or the Parable of the Sweatly Black Lesbian.

God's love can come from unexpected places.

Excuse me for saying this but you sound somehow self righteous and condemning of Christians..

So although I have been taught in much more detail who the Samaritans were and where they originally came from - let's do as you say and "preserve the original bite of the original" story, ok?

And let's do that in modern day - like "God's Love," a Christian organization that took meals to the homes of people who were infected and dying from AIDS in NYC. Of course they were doing this back when no one was sure exactly what might spread HIV.
I fear you are more confused with reality than most Christians are.
Get it?

rainee

Purex nailed it. Jesus showed us the way out of the cycle of violence. Only a few of us, like St. Francis, Ghandi, MLK, and others actually have managed to emulate His message.

Most of us can only aspire to it. Or turn our backs on what He said, entirely.

Greetings Barbarian, :)
You have posted this about Purex twice and I still can't tell if you are pulling our legs and having fun or are being serious?

Or maybe you are trying to set him up?

Do you actually believe:

Criminality is a human judgment.
??

You believe that? I fear it is a hopeless position to defend in the face of the past or facts... And if that is defenseless how can you or he justify the rest of his post? :nono: It was just too light weight, surely you thought that?

rainee

Jesus taught us to love our enemies.

He either said it or he didn't.

You can't have it both ways.

When they made Him very angry about making The Temple "a house of thieves," He went and braided Himself a whip. And then He returned and drove them out with it.

When those who were using their religion and trying to kill Him also tried to prove any word He said wrong - He told them they were snakes.

But when men slapped Him, spit on Him and beat Him - He said nothing.

If you care about what Jesus said I hope you will tighten up your knowledge and understanding.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Fact is, Jesus told us to love our enemies and pray for them. No maybes about it. We can believe it or we can deny it. But it doesn't change what He said.

rainee

Fact is, Jesus told us to love our enemies and pray for them. No maybes about it. We can believe it or we can deny it. But it doesn't change what He said.

And what pray tell does that have to do with stopping and destroying terrorists, or Bonnie and Clyde, or Hitler?

One would have to have a pretty big ego to imagine any of these are your enemy when they do not or did not even know of your existence. Are they not worthy of death? Send them back to meet their Maker.

rainee

Oh and btw, Republicanchick,
You said regarding these terrrorists:
Yeh, sure, we should love them. We should try to convert them b4 we just bomb the crud out of them.

Maybe we should drop billy Graham like religioius tracts down on them... and say Convert or die!

I know you were speaking to make a dramatic point but I do not care what religion they are.

Did you read lately why God destroyed the world the first time??

No, these people should be stopped and destroyed - and their religion is of no interest to me. Anyway politics is usually playing a big part when it comes to seeking power through violence not faith, yes?

PureX

You seem to be thoroughly confused about the difference between a crime and sin. You also seem to be very confused about who is God and who is not. And therefor who has the right to erase people from the face of the Earth and who does not have that right. And because you are so thoroughly confused about these things, you are advocating the destruction of millions of human beings that you know nothing about and have never even met. While at the same time claiming that they are not your enemies because they don't even know who you are.

I am stunned that a person can be that blindingly hateful, irrational, and thoroughly confused without even realizing it.

But, there you are.

bybee

You seem to be thoroughly confused about the difference between a crime and sin. You also seem to be very confused about who is God and who is not. And therefor who has the right to erase people from the face of the Earth and who does not have that right. And because you are so thoroughly confused about these things, you are advocating the destruction of millions of human beings that you know nothing about and have never even met. While at the same time claiming that they are not your enemies because they don't even know who you are.

I am stunned that a person can be that blindingly hateful, irrational, and thoroughly confused without even realizing it.

But, there you are.
Apparently then you find Gods actions in the Old Testament to be "blindingly hateful, irrational and thoroughly confused...?
There is to be no "Shaking the dust from one's sandals" in the presence of stupidity, greed and violence?
Love meaningless to the heart filled with hatred, violence and judgment. And those hearts are dangerous to the rest of us.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Greetings Barbarian, :)
You have posted this about Purex twice and I still can't tell if you are pulling our legs and having fun or are being serious?

Or maybe you are trying to set him up?

Do you actually believe:

??

You believe that? I fear it is a hopeless position to defend in the face of the past or facts... And if that is defenseless how can you or he justify the rest of his post? :nono: It was just too light weight, surely you thought that?

Indeed. And he hasn't replied to my post 149 (page 10) which was in response.

The inactivists seem to have much to answer. They haven't justified their position as being peaceful. All that will happen is that they invite the violent to carry on being violent. I don't think they deserve to be called pacifists.

So Barbarian, are you going to give an answer to 149? At least don't keep me in suspense!

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Defending yourself is not a sin.

And presumably you would accept also that defending yourself is not hatred and not violence?

Doesn't have to be either. I try not to hate anyone. And often, when threatened, I've managed to defend myself without violence. But not always.

And does this mean that you are distancing yourself from what Purex stated, in response to which you only a short while ago said 'Purex nailed it'? This seems a very quick change of mind on your part. Is that all it takes?

You seem to be confused over the fact that we don't always manage to follow Jesus and His advice, with the fact that He told us to love our enemies.

Barbarian observes:
It's just that there's a better way. And no, I'm not good enough to do that, much of the time.

Few of us are that Christlike.

Are you making a general point here?

Yes.

It sounds rather that you cannot make a general point because there is no justification for it. But you still want to wash your dirty linen and flagellate yourself.

Jesus clearly told us what to do. You're dismayed, because it could cost you your pride, you property, even your life. And I get that. But even if it's got all those consequences, it's still what He told us to do.

It sounds like you are saying that other people should be better but so long as you admit that you aren't then you don't have to be.

Not being perfect is a humbling experience, no? We aren't as good as we are called to be. None of us is. But we can try. So, I don't hate, and I try to love my enemies and care about them. And I avoid violence, even when I could make it work for me.

A bit like people who park in prohibited places and think that by putting on their warning lights it gives them a valid excuse?

If you think being weak excuses sin, you're still not getting it. And even then, it's not always a sin to fall short of what we are called to be.

Barbarian observes:
We have a right to live, and if we have to resort to the sword to live, we aren't sinning.

But the cycle of violence goes on thereby.

But if you agree that self-defence is not being violent

Unfortunately, it often is. The point is what He made of it; live by the sword; die by the sword.

then the cycle of violence has indeed stopped. How can you say in the same post that self defence is not sin and then say that it is still violence???

Sin and violence are not synonyms.

Pardon me, I don't really know you.

To understand this, you'll have to know yourself, not me.

It is nothing personal.

For neither of us, then.

I am just completely confused at how you can say this. It really makes me think that you are just plain lying.

Moral dilemmas often cause us to be angry with others.

And that you want to outwardly agree with me that self-defence is not sin

Normally it isnt.

, is not violence

Most often, it is. I've been able to talk my way out of a lot of situations, but sometimes, that fails, and I've been unwilling to turn the other cheek. That's my failing.

and is not hatred

Often it is. Did we defend ourselves against the Japanese? Was there violence and hatred involved? Sure there was.

How about radical Muslims?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Christ said to love our neighbor too, which is a bit more inclusive. If our neighbor is being slaughtered by a willful evil that we possess the might to forestall then how can we love them and allow it?

PureX

Christ said to love our neighbor too, which is a bit more inclusive. If our neighbor is being slaughtered by a willful evil that we possess the might to forestall then how can we love them and allow it?
How can God love us and allow it?