METHINKS IT IS A WEASEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUTG

sentientsynth said:
Yeah, I agree that the math doesn't reflect the real problem.

Yeah. To quote bob from earlier in the thread, I think someone "missed the forest for the trees." :chuckle:

Why wouldn't you say that created a "good" word would be analogous to creating a "good" protein sequence?

To be honest, I don't know squat about Biology...but I think this analogy could be granted. But I'll bet the probablilites would be different for the creation of the good word and the creation of the good protein sequence.

But just choosing random groups of letters leaves out one of the most critical and important parts of the "random mutations plus natural selection" - the natural selection!

fool

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
fool,

Your "chewbacca defense" won't work on me.

SS
I'm not familier with the chewbacca defense.
I thought my post was more of an attack.
Did I make an appeal to wookie?

sentientsynth

SUTG said:
To be honest, I don't know squat about Biology...but I think this analogy could be granted. But I'll bet the probablilites would be different for the creation of the good word and the creation of the good protein sequence.

It's so much more complex, it's unfathomable (to me, at least.) I think this could hold as a rather loose analogy, though I wouldn't push it too far.

But just choosing random groups of letters leaves out one of the most critical and important parts of the "random mutations plus natural selection" - the natural selection!
I think the qualification of "good" is roughly analogous to being naturally selected.

About the math, wouldn't you have to do it on a word by word basis, especially for the larger words?

SS

fool

Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
Here is an example.

SS
Chewbacca was on that planet to fight the Empire.
Are you a Syth?
:shocked: only one letter off !
:think: what are the odds?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
sentientsynth said:
It's so much more complex, it's unfathomable (to me, at least.) I think this could hold as a rather loose analogy, though I wouldn't push it too far
I think the qualification of "good" is roughly analogous to being naturally selected.
About the math, wouldn't you have to do it on a word by word basis, especially for the larger words? SS

This is the first posting I have seen which takes the example seriously. This is undoubtedly because it comes from a believer. Believers like you see things that are hidden from unbelievers. For example, one level and one "snare".

The example seems to be a "parable" which has multiple levels of meaning plus a number of snares for unbelievers, some of which are only slowly becoming apparent to me.

The concept is probably not from me, because it simply "popped" into existence as I was in a semi-dreamlike state following the alarm going off and my drifting back into oblivion.

Jukia

bob b said:
This is the first posting I have seen which takes the example seriously. This is undoubtedly because it comes from a believer. Believers like you see things that are hidden from unbelievers.

Is this the "Become a believer and all will be revealed to you" spiel? Can anyone think of a 4 lette word---CULT---perhaps?
The KoolAid is available at bob b's house. The space ships are coming next week so drink up now.
And who is doing the hiding? Is that God's plan.
bob b what have you been smoking?
Pardon me if I bail from this thread.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
SUTG said:
OK. But when you finally come-to, doublecheck your math. :chuckle:

Are you referring to the fact that I carelessly entered an extra digit on the calculator while doing the six-letter example or perhaps to the fact that p is not strictly the probability as stated in the preamble to the example?

As far as the parable is concerned, these are minor details having very little to do with the point of the parable or even the detailed example for that matter.

"For some can not see the forest because all those pesky trees get in the way of the view."

"And why do you look at the splinter in your brother’s eye, and not notice the beam which is in your own eye? Matt 7:3 "

What a creationist idiot! Did you ever take a ruler and measure the size of an eye and then the size of a wooden beam? Check your math buddy. ;)

Last edited:

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
13Therefore I speak to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. Matt 13:13-15

SUTG

bob b said:
p is not strictly the probability as stated in the preamble to the example?

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! I think we have a winner!

Although why understate it by saying that p is not "strictly" the probability as stated in the preamble? You made a rudimentary probability error, and I stepped in to Truthsmack you silly.

If you can't even understand the basic problem you posed in the preamble, you'll never understand the Theory of Evolution.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
SUTG said:
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! I think we have a winner!

Although why understate it by saying that p is not "strictly" the probability as stated in the preamble? You made a rudimentary probability error, and I stepped in to Truthsmack you silly.

If you can't even understand the basic problem you posed in the preamble, you'll never understand the Theory of Evolution.

:sigh:

SUTG

So, seriously, isn't anyone going to tell me if Enyart's evolve.exe is more worthwhile than bob b's probability SNAFUs?

Does anyone have a description of the algorithm?

Johnny

This is the first posting I have seen which takes the example seriously. This is undoubtedly because it comes from a believer. Believers like you see things that are hidden from unbelievers. For example, one level and one "snare".
Things like this leave me frustratingly speechless.

SS said, "I think this could hold as a rather loose analogy, though I wouldn't push it too far
I think the qualification of "good" is roughly analogous to being naturally selected. " I just chose not to fluff your ego and told you straight up that it was a wretched analogy.

It's funny how you compare your parables to Christ's parables. Christ's parables had a different purpose. They taught ideas where the details of who and what don't matter. Unfortunately, when you're trying to make a scientific point, you're not afforded the same luxury. So while you may feel you're the creationist messiah preaching to us heathen evolutionists using cryptographic parables and then berating us for pointing out that you're analogy is flawed, the rest of us are marvelling at the lengths to which deliberate ignorance and intellectual prostitution can drive a man.

You can't tell us what heavenly revelation your analogy is supposed to be reveal because you know that it will fall apart upon cursory examination. I am quite willing to accept that you are already well aware of the shortcomings of this analogy, but like Bob Enyart, this does not concern you. Instead, you will simply pretend that only believers in creationism can get your point. On this matter I will agree with you. Only someone who is as scientifically incompetent as a young earth creationist would be willing to overlook such a flawed analogy. Don't blame the rest of us for our intellectual standards. I must bow out of this thread. I think I've said enough.

billwald

> Believers like you see things that are hidden from unbelievers.

Theonomists/Reconstructionists/VanTilians seem to "believe" that only Theonomists/Reconstructionists/VanTilians have access to "truth."

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Things like this leave me frustratingly speechless.

SS said, "I think this could hold as a rather loose analogy, though I wouldn't push it too far
I think the qualification of "good" is roughly analogous to being naturally selected. " I just chose not to fluff your ego and told you straight up that it was a wretched analogy.

It's funny how you compare your parables to Christ's parables. Christ's parables had a different purpose. They taught ideas where the details of who and what don't matter. Unfortunately, when you're trying to make a scientific point, you're not afforded the same luxury. So while you may feel you're the creationist messiah preaching to us heathen evolutionists using cryptographic parables and then berating us for pointing out that you're analogy is flawed, the rest of us are marvelling at the lengths to which deliberate ignorance and intellectual prostitution can drive a man.

You can't tell us what heavenly revelation your analogy is supposed to be reveal because you know that it will fall apart upon cursory examination. I am quite willing to accept that you are already well aware of the shortcomings of this analogy, but like Bob Enyart, this does not concern you. Instead, you will simply pretend that only believers in creationism can get your point. On this matter I will agree with you. Only someone who is as scientifically incompetent as a young earth creationist would be willing to overlook such a flawed analogy. Don't blame the rest of us for our intellectual standards. I must bow out of this thread. I think I've said enough.

Don't leave.

I'm interested in why you think it is an analogy, what it might be comparing and why you think it is flawed.

BTW I fixed my calculator misstep in the six letter case in my first posting which started this thread.

It doesn't affect the point that was being made at all, of course. Too bad so few ( if any) get the point of the "parable". :bang:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.