METHINKS IT IS A WEASEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
WEASEL

Question: How many “good” words are there in English for the various numbers of letters, two, three, four, five and six etc. ? What then is the probability p that having one particular “good” word that a random letter change will result in another good word ?

San Jose Scrabble® Club No. 21

TWO LETTER WORDS
1 page x 56 + 39 = 95 out of 26 x 26 = 676
p= 0.14

THREE LETTER WORDS
16 pages x 56 + 7 = 903 out of 26 x 26 x 26 = 17,576
p=0.0514

---------------------------------------------------------
Australian Scrabble® Players Association (ASPA)

http://www.scrabble.org.au/words/threes.htm

http://www.scrabble.org.au/words/fours.htm

FOUR LETTER WORDS
6 pages x 840/page = 5040 + 35 = 5075 out of 676 x 676 = 456,976
p= 0. 011

-----------------------------------
http://aaron.doosh.net/lexicon/05LetterWords.html

All of the Five Letter Words in the WORDOX Dictionary:
18/line x 45 lines/page x 12 pages + 12 lines x 18 = 9936
26 x 26 x 26 x 26 x 26 = 11,881,376
p=0.00084

All of the Six Letter Words in the WORDOX Dictionary:
18/line x 45 lines/page x 26 pages + 18 x 18 = 21,384
26 x 26 x 26 x 26 x 26 x 26 = 308,915,776
p=0.000069

Summarizing:
2 - p= 0.14
3 - p= 0.0514
4 - p= 0.011
5 - p= 0.00084
6 - p= 0.000069
7 – p= ?
--------------------

METHINKS DAWKINS STINKS

Last edited:

Johnny

Another horrible analogy (quell suprise). You and Bob Enyart should team up. Perhaps you two working together could cook up something even more deceitful than either of you have achieved on your own.

fool

Hall of Fame
Bob?
It looks like you hired Letsargue to write your OP.
Can you drop a dime in the clue machine for us and tell us what on Earth your talking about?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
fool said:
Bob?
It looks like you hired Letsargue to write your OP.
Can you drop a dime in the clue machine for us and tell us what on Earth your talking about?

Nope.

It's better if you think some more about it (if you can rise above the thinking "rut" you are in) and suddenly the light may dawn.

When it does prepare yourself for a major paradigm shift.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Another horrible analogy (quell suprise). You and Bob Enyart should team up. Perhaps you two working together could cook up something even more deceitful than either of you have achieved on your own.

I love this.

Johnny can't rise out of his thinking "rut" either. :D

fool

Hall of Fame
bob b said:
Nope.

It's better if you think some more about it (if you can rise above the thinking "rut" you are in) and suddenly the light may dawn.

Yup, Letsargue has hacked Bob's computer.

Jukia

bob b said:
Nope.

Well, thanks bob b, you would have made one heck of a teacher.

However, it seems related to Pastor Enyarts dumb example. Thanks a lot anyway.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jukia said:
Well, thanks bob b, you would have made one heck of a teacher.

I actually had no expectation that you would "tumble", but I really did think that fool and Johnny might have.

I will give them more time to think about it while remaining hopeful that they might see at least the first part of what is really a three-part example.

SUTG

Jukia said:

Actually, bob b didn't seem to draw any conclusions from his example, did he?

I think it would be mildly interesting to Scrabble players, etc.

SUTG

bob b said:
What then is the probability p that having one particular “good” word that a single letter change will result in another good word ?

Summarizing:
2 - p= 0.14
3 - p= 0.0514
4 - p= 0.011
5 - p= 0.00084
6 - p= 0.0000056
7 – p= ?
--------------------

These results are wrong considering how you've defined p. You need to recheck the math.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
SUTG said:
These results are wrong considering how you've defined p. You need to recheck the math.

Oh, this is rich. I predicted to my wife that someone would start arguing about the details and miss the whole point of the example. That is probably why some smart people, like most evolutionists, never can "see the forest for all those trees", yet the "simple" folk can, because lacking knowledge of all the nitty gritty details (the trees) they can easily see the big picture (the forest).

SUTG

bob b said:
Oh, this is rich. I predicted to my wife that someone would start arguing about the details and miss the whole point of the example.

There was a point?

I just see you asking the question "What is the probability p that having one particular good word that a single letter change will result in another good word" and then giving a wrong answer because you don't understand the math.

Johnny

Oh, this is rich. I predicted to my wife that someone would start arguing about the details and miss the whole point of the example.
Inattention to details is why you are and will remain just another creationist who will never get his science right. What value does any analogy have if it is not analogous? What is the whole point of the example? Do enlighten us lowly evolutionists.

fool

Hall of Fame
SUTG said:
Actually, bob b didn't seem to draw any conclusions from his example, did he?

I think it would be mildly interesting to Scrabble players, etc.
Bob draws conclusion in other thread.

Bob b said:
Actually my posting on METHINKS IT IS (LIKE) A WEASEL nicely disposes of "random mutations plus natural selection plus millions of years" in a simple and easy to see manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.