Messianic Christology

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I'd like to begin listing all of the Old Testament prophecies of the first coming of the Messiah. Hopefully these passages will edify us.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Gen 3:15

This passage teaches that the Messiah will come thru humanity.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
18 and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. Gen 22:18

This verse teaches that

the Seed of the Woman will be limited as a descendant of Abraham, Messiah will be a Jew.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah,
Nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,
Until Shiloh come;
And unto him shall the obedience of the peoples be.
Gen 49:10

This passage teaches

the Seed of the Woman and the Seed of Abraham is now limited to being of the specific tribe of Judah.

Messiah will be a king.

Messiah had to come before AD 70.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
17 I see him, but not now;
I behold him, but not nigh:
There shall come forth a star out of Jacob,
And a sceptre shall rise out of Israel,
And shall smite through the corners of Moab,
And break down all the sons of tumult.
Numbers 24:17

This passage teaches

that the Messiah is to be a king.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
15 Jehovah thy God will raise up unto thee a prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; 16 according to all that thou desiredst of Jehovah thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of Jehovah my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not. 17 And Jehovah said unto me, They have well said that which they have spoken. 18 I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. 19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
Deut 18:15-19

This passages teaches

that the Messiah will be a prophet.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The Prophets:

14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Isaiah 7:14

This verse teaches that

Messiah would be born of a girl who is still a virgin the explanation of Gen 3:15

Messiah will be the God Man

Messiah will be a king

Messiah will have to come before AD 70

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
18 and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. Gen 22:18

This verse teaches that

the Seed of the Woman will be limited as a descendant of Abraham, Messiah will be a Jew.

Define Jew. Was Moses a Jew? Was Aaron a Jew?

Abraham never met a Jew. Jacob had twelve sons one of whom was Judah. Jacob was fifteen when Abraham died so Abe never got to meet Judah, the father of the Jews.

Are all Americans Californians?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Define Jew. Was Moses a Jew? Was Aaron a Jew?

Abraham never met a Jew. Jacob had twelve sons one of whom was Judah. Jacob was fifteen when Abraham died so Abe never got to meet Judah, the father of the Jews.

Are all Americans Californians?

A descendant of Abraham Isaac and Israel is a Jew - biblically

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Isaiah 7:14

This verse teaches that

Messiah would be born of a girl who is still a virgin the explanation of Gen 3:15

Messiah will be the God Man

Messiah will be a king

Messiah will have to come before AD 70

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Make an uproar, O ye peoples, and be broken in pieces; and give ear, all ye of far countries: gird yourselves, and be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, and be broken in pieces. 10 Take counsel together, and it shall be brought to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.
Isaiah 8:9-10

Verse 10 literally reads: and it shall not stand because of Immanuel. The real impact of what's being said here gets lost because of the translation of the meaning of the name God with us rather than Immanuel. What this is saying is that God will preserve the house of David because of the Covenant God made with David of an eternal dynasty. Because of the AD 70 destruction of the Jewish temple all of the genealogical records have been lost so it would be impossible to trace the Davidic line after AD 70.

This passage teaches that Messiah must come before the 70 AD destruction of the temple.

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 7 Of the increase of his government and of peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to establish it, and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of Jehovah of hosts will perform this.
Isaiah 9:6-7

This passage teaches that

Messiah will be king

Messiah will be God and Man

Messiah must come before AD 70 to fulfill the Davidic Covenant and because of the destruction of the Temple.

Last edited:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice thread topic.

Messiah must come before AD 70 to fulfill the Davidic Covenant and because of the destruction of the Temple.
Wait.
Do you think the restored kingdom of Israel has already happened before 70 AD?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
The voice of one that crieth, Prepare ye in the wilderness the way of Jehovah; make level in the desert a highway for our God. 4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low; and the uneven shall be made level, and the rough places a plain: 5 and the glory of Jehovah shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together; for the mouth of Jehovah hath spoken it.
Isaiah 40:3-5

This passage teaches that Messiah

Will have a forerunner.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
1 Behold, my servant, whom I uphold; my chosen, in whom my soul delighteth: I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the Gentiles. 2 He will not cry, nor lift up his voice, nor cause it to be heard in the street. 3 A bruised reed will he not break, and a dimly burning wick will he not quench: he will bring forth justice in truth. 4 He will not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set justice in the earth; and the isles shall wait for his law. 5 Thus saith God Jehovah, he that created the heavens, and stretched them forth; he that spread abroad the earth and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: 6 I, Jehovah, have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thy hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
Isaiah 42:1-6

This passage teaches

Messiah would be anointed by the Holy Spirit

Messiah would conduct Himself in meekness and gentleness

Although Messiahs mission would appear to end in failure it would in fact be a complete success. The success of His ministry actually required His death.

Messiah's mission includes Gentile salvation.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
1 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye peoples, from far: Jehovah hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name: 2 and he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me: and he hath made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he kept me close: 3 and he said unto me, Thou art my servant; Israel, in whom I will be glorified.
Isaiah 49:1-3

This passage teaches that

Messiah's first coming would be rejected by Israel .

For a time the message of salvation thru Messiah will go out to the Gentiles.

Eventually Israel will receive Messiah; He will be their new covenant.

Israel's acceptance of Messiah will herald the re-gathering of all Jews to the land of Israel.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
7 For the Lord Jehovah will help me; therefore have I not been confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame. 8 He is near that justifieth me; who will contend with me? let us stand up together: who is mine adversary? let him come near to me. 9 Behold, the Lord Jehovah will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? behold, all they shall wax old as a garment, the moth shall eat them up.

Isaiah 50:7-9

This passage teaches

Messiah would receive special training from the God the Father.

Messiah's first coming would be marked by suffering.

Messiah would be obedient to submitting Himself to physical abuse.

Last edited: