Mass shooting in Orlando, Florida USA 20 dead

gcthomas

yes, restricting guns via a "new interpretation" does indeed lead to a ban on all guns if the new interpretation is just as vague on what limits are in "well-regulated". I've asked liberals several times on this forum on what the limits of regulations are if the correct interpretation 2nd amendment applies only to well-regulated militias or well-regulated citizens, and all I've heard back from them is the sound of crickets.

The loss of a right to guns does not mean a ban on guns. Your governments, federal or state, could pass laws allowing for gun ownership if that is popular locally.

musterion

The loss of a right to guns does not mean a ban on guns. Your governments, federal or state, could pass laws allowing for gun ownership if that is popular locally.

Unless the Fed decides to threaten any funding they may receive, as they have done to states to keep schools in line. I don't expect you to know that's how things work here, but it is.

Prizebeatz1

Who or what is this Jesus you keep referring to?

It can't be the Christ Jesus of the Bible, since you reject the Bible as man-made.

So where did you learn about this Jesus you speak of?

Serious question.

As previously stated, just because the bible is man-made does not mean we have to reject it. There is a much higher meaning than what we've told but it doesn't negate the literal interpretation. It's just one of many different ways to see things. We can take it literally or as symbolism or somewhere in the middle just as can be done with the Koran.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, it's not an non-issue, it's a large part of the issue - but by saying it's a non-issue, it's more than a little reminiscent of your earlier words: "It sounds like you are avoiding the issue. It won't go away. "

All I was saying is that Americans recognise gun ownership. Saying that someone committed an act of terror with guns is like saying he was a human, therefore the problem lies with humans. Guns are not the issue.

I don't disagree with you. However, I see the tendency by some Americans to do the very same thing. Some of them tend to hate Muslims. This is not only my opinion. It is only what Americans say themselves. Not just a few, but very many.
But do they go around killing them?

Here's the crux of it. How does our constitutional government "take steps to stop it" when "it" hasn't been committed? How do they do it constitutionally?
Good government spends its time predicting and preventing. Guessing and thwarting enemies. That's what their job is. It is the job of the police and other agencies to react to what has already been done. To clean up the mess. (As well of course to do a little prevention.) The government is supposed to monitor threats and react before the threat happens. Their job is to enable you, the people, to live in peace and security. Government gets the sack if it thinks all it needs to do is clean up after a flood. It needs to get technical predictions, it needs to do analysis of terrain, it needs to build fortifications and so on. Terrorism is no different.

Historically? If you go back in history, most major religions are guilty, my own baptismal religion included. In this, Christians don't have clean hands. Any religious ideology that condones (or has condoned) killing for that religious ideology has the capability of being barbaric.
Again, this has nothing to do with the issue. If you were on a government committee formed to address the threat of Muslim terror within your borders and your argument was that Christians have also been violent, you would get thrown off the committee. If I was the chairman I too would throw you out. Even though you were my best friend. Because the job of the committee is not to navel gaze but to come up with practical responses.
You asked me what possible solutions I would suggest and I gave you a brainstorming list.
What is your solution? In our country we already have whole cities controlled by Muslims. Sharia law is practised and the police turn a blind eye to it because they are afraid of the PC brigade. How would you prevent this happening in your own house?
And finally, what would you say to the families of the 49 who, thinking they were living in a free country, and otherwise minding their own business, get massacred by a Muslim terrorist? Begin your answer with "I am very sorry this has happened. We knew this could happen and were thinking of numerous ways of preventing such tragedies, but some of them were very un-american, other ideas were not really constitutional and we were really hoping that if we were nice to the Muslims, the problem would go away..."

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
All I was saying is that Americans recognise gun ownership. Saying that someone committed an act of terror with guns is like saying he was a human, therefore the problem lies with humans. Guns are not the issue.

The obvious ease with which someone on a watch list was able to buy a gun is part of the issue. Yes.

But do they go around killing them?

I'm not too sure the religious and/or moral laws of many (some here) would prevent them from carrying out what they also threaten.

Good government spends its time predicting and preventing. Guessing and thwarting enemies. That's what their job is. It is the job of the police and other agencies to react to what has already been done. To clean up the mess. (As well of course to do a little prevention.) The government is supposed to monitor threats and react before the threat happens. Their job is to enable you, the people, to live in peace and security. Government gets the sack if it thinks all it needs to do is clean up after a flood. It needs to get technical predictions, it needs to do analysis of terrain, it needs to build fortifications and so on. Terrorism is no different.

You're creating a straw man there, since I didn't argue against anything in that vaguely worded paragraph. There's nothing specific enough for me to work with there.

Again, this has nothing to do with the issue. If you were on a government committee formed to address the threat of Muslim terror within your borders and your argument was that Christians have also been violent, you would get thrown off the committee. If I was the chairman I too would throw you out. Even though you were my best friend. Because the job of the committee is not to navel gaze but to come up with practical responses.
You asked me what possible solutions I would suggest and I gave you a brainstorming list.
What is your solution?

To be fair, you asked me a question, and I answered it.

As for your committee comment, how easy it would be to throw me out for something you wrote for me. :chuckle:

Going back to your suggestions:

Blanket ban on Muslims (except diplomats and country representatives) entering the country for 2 or 3 generations.
Blanket ban on Muslims obtaining firearms.
Amend the law/constitution to define Islam as not a religion, i.e. not benefitting from protections accorded to other religions.
Keep close tracks on on all Muslims having entered the country this generation. (This would perhaps have deterred the possibly lying father of the Florida terrorist from bringing up his son as a good Muslim to beat up his wife and hate America.)
No Muslim charities.

How do you keep "close track" on all Muslims who entered here this generation? How close is close? How close is unconstitutionally close?

It's not constitutional nor will it ever be constitutional to declare a religion not a religion. It's not constitutional to deny firearms to a particular ethnic or religious class. It's not constitutional to ban charity organizations of a particular religion. So most of your options won't work here.

The one thing on your list that's constitutionally possible is to restrict immigration from countries which harbor and condone radical Islamic terrorism and implement more stringent screening mechanisms. To that I'd add: Don't admit anyone into the country who's on a terror watch list. Seems like kind of a no-brainer. Do a better job of screening gun purchases. There should be a way to send an instant alert when someone on a watchlist attempts to buy a gun, for Pete's sake. That's not going to stop illegal gun purchases though, just as more stringent immigration screening won't stop them from coming over the border illegally. We have a unique situation in that the sheer size of our borders both north and south make it almost impossible to guard adequately, and I don't see any easy solution to that. There's never going to be a wall built that runs the length of this country, no matter what Trump says.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Considering I thanked ACW PRIOR to your reply, you are demonstrating my comment as being spot on ... you know, about you being flat out dishonest. You need to quit looking at the world through your grudge/vendetta-tinted glasses.

Cool story.

You appreciate somebody 'praying for you' because they think you're reprobate :chuckle:
Well, you're one of the few. Actually, you might be the only one :rolleyes:

Prizebeatz1

Mass shooting in Orlando, Florida USA 20 dead

So why don't you tell us what it really says starting at Genesis 1:1

:popcorn:

Why can't we decide for ourselves instead of letting someone else decide for us?

I think the main part of the problem is lack of real self-worth and lack of real self-worth is based on ignorance of the soul. This is the social issue that needs to be addressed. We won't be able to solve it on the surface level. It goes much deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Back to the subject. Muslims are murderers. If an Islamic Republic of whereverstan executes a rapist or murderer, that is fine. When they execute for apostasy or being an infidel, that is murder.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Back to the subject. Muslims are murderers. If an Islamic Republic of whereverstan executes a rapist or murderer, that is fine. When they execute for apostasy or being an infidel, that is murder.
But those are like bikers; 1 % ers. 99% of muslims are good people, right ?

Prizebeatz1

Didn't I just say that? Tell us what it really says.

I am not going to tell you what it really says. I can give you my interpretation which is one of many but I don't think it's going to benefit this thread.

The root of the problem is lack of awareness of true self-worth. This has plagued humanity throughout recorded history and this shooting is just one of its many symptoms.