Martin Luther Comments on Free Will

Robert Pate

Banned
I am not a Lutheran nor do I hold to the teachings of the Lutheran church. I am a Christian and have no affiliation with any religious group. I do enjoy reading what others say and believe about Jesus Christ. Having studied the writings of some of what I believe to be the most prominent Christian scholars of our day, I always have one question when reading what they have said and that is "Where is what they have said leading me"?

If you read the writings of most religious denominations they do not lead you to Christ, they lead you into yourself who is a sinner. When you read "The Canons of Dort" or "The Council of Trent" you must ask yourself "Have I been predestinated, or am I doing enough good works to be saved"? In the light of the Gospel these questions are not important. What you should be asking yourself is the work of Jesus Christ sufficient to save me?

Martin Luther Comments on Free Will.

"Free-will is plainly a divine term, and can be applicable to none but the divine majesty only: for He alone "Doth, (as the Psalm sings) what he will in heaven and earth." (Ps.cxxxv. 6.) Whereas if it be ascribed unto men, it is not more properly ascribed, than the divinity of God himself would be ascribed unto them: which would be the greatest of all sacrilege. Wherefore it becomes Theologians to refrain from the use altogether, whenever they wish to speak of human ability, and leave it to the applied God only. And morover, to take this same term out of the mouths and speech of men; and thus to assert, as it were, for their God, that which belongs to His holy sacred name. . . .

But, if we do not like to leave out this term altogether, (which would be most safe and also most religious) we may nevertheless, with a good conscience teach, that it be used so far as to allow man a "Free-will" not in respect of those things which are above him, but in respect only of those things which are below him: that is he may be allowed to know, that he has as his goods and possessions the right of using, acting and omitting, according to his "Free-will;" although at the same time, that same "Free-will" is overuled by the Free-will of God alone, just as he pleases: but that, God-ward, or in things which pretain to salvation or damnation, he has no "Free-will," but is a captive slave, and servant, either to the will of God, or to the will of Satan".

- Bondage of the will, XXV1, pp. 76-79.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
or am I doing enough good works to be saved"? In the light of the Gospel these questions are not important. What you should be asking yourself is the work of Jesus Christ sufficient to save me?

the work of Jesus Christ
is
sufficient to redeem all of us
so
the real question
is

is our work sufficient to save us?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
rip.jpg

Robert Pate

Banned
It is foolish to believe that God has sent his only begotten Son into the world to atone for the sins of the world.

But he doesn't want some to know about it.

Robert Pate

Banned
do you see a difference between redeemed and saved?

Redeemed, means that we have been bought back from the curse of sin.

Saved, means that because we have been redeemed we are saved.

In redeeming us Christ saves us. We had nothing, absolutly nothing to do with it. All we are required to do is to believe it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Redeemed, means that we have been bought back from the curse of sin.

Saved, means that because we have been redeemed we are saved.

In redeeming us Christ saves us. We had nothing, absolutly nothing to do with it. All we are required to do is to believe it.

has everyone been redeemed?

Robert Pate

Banned
has everyone been redeemed?

In God's eyes, Jesus is the redeemer and savior of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

In God's eyes, Jesus has defeated sin, death and the devil.

Salvation has been provided for all by the doing and the dying of Jesus Christ.

However, there will be a judgment. In the judgment you will either be found "In Christ" or you will be found in your sins. God can and will impute sin back to those who do not have faith,

Robert Pate

Banned
I agree
so
how can someone say they are saved
if
they have not been judged?

It is very simple. If you have faith in the doing and the dying of Jesus you are saved.

See Romans 10:6-12.

"Whosoever that believes on him shall not be ashamed" Romans 10:11.

Robert Pate

Banned
no

how do you judge yourself?

It is very simple.

Are all of your thoughts pure and without sin?

Do you really love your neighbor as yourself?

Do you love those who oppose you, your enemies?

If you have been honest with yourself the answer is no.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is very simple.

As Luther notes...

"...in things which pretain to salvation or damnation, he has no "Free-will," but is a captive slave, and servant, either to the will of God, or to the will of Satan"

We serve only one of two masters, God or the devil.

The lost serve the latter, as it is written, the lost...

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9);
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23);
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19);
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12);
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6);
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1);
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3);
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14); and
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

Clearly from the above sampling of Holy Writ, it is clear that the lost have no moral ability to seek after the righteousness of God. It is only when God the Holy Spirit regeneratively replaces their lost hearts of stone with one of flesh (Eze. 36:26) that the lost are given the moral ability to believe.

AMR

Robert Pate

Banned
As Luther notes...

"...in things which pretain to salvation or damnation, he has no "Free-will," but is a captive slave, and servant, either to the will of God, or to the will of Satan"

We serve only one of two masters, God or the devil.

The lost serve the latter, as it is written, the lost...

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9);
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23);
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19);
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12);
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6);
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1);
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3);
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14); and
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

Clearly from the above sampling of Holy Writ, it is clear that the lost have no moral ability to seek after the righteousness of God. It is only when God the Holy Spirit regeneratively replaces their lost hearts of stone with one of flesh (Eze. 36:26) that the lost are given the moral ability to believe.

AMR

God did not abandon fallen humanity as you seem to think.

Yes, man is a depraved sinner, but God has not abandoned him.

This is why he sent Jesus into the world. "For God so loved fallen man (the world) that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

God has done all that he could do to save fallen humanity. However, there is one thing that God will not do, he will not force anyone to believe upon his Son. No, if you want to be saved, by your own free will you will have to call on Christ to save you.

"WHOSOEVER that calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" Romans 10:13.

You apparently have never done that. Instead you want to believe that salvation has been appointed to you before the foundation of the world. Therefore, you don't really need Jesus Christ and his Gospel. You think that you are exempt from coming to Christ as a repentant sinner.

On the day of Pentecost, they heard the Gospel, they believed the Gospel and they were saved, Acts 2:41.

"So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" Romans 10:17.