Lucifer and the Ancient Earth

chair

If echad can only mean "one" what is the Hebrew word for first?

Would the number one be the first number?

Maybe the scripture should read Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is first!

Echad means "one". Period.
"Rishon" means first.
and before you ask, "yachid" means "only"

If you are going to start on this "echad is some kind of plural unity"- don't bother. I have been through that many times. It is total nonsense. See how you use "one" in your own post, to describe "one people". Does one mean anything besides "one" in English, in that context? or course not.

chair

Can anyone prove Job was not a son of Issachar?

"The sons of Issachar were Tola, Puvah, Job, and Shimron." (Genesis 46:13)

"Job" in Genesis is spelled differently than in the Book of Job. And names get used by more than one person in any case.

Derf

How does this prove Job was not a son of Issachar?

However, we know Job was a parable. (Job 27:1 KJV and Job 29:1 KJV)

I suspect the parable was told to Moses at Mount Sinai.

I went through that in my post. Feel free to read the whole thing.

I suppose your ideas are as good as mine as to where the story came from. Moses might also have received the creation story and the flood story, and the Babel story, and the biography of Abraham from God in a mountain. But the most boring part of the bible, genealogies, speaks strongly against it.

Sent from my Z992 using TheologyOnline mobile app

chair

I went through that in my post. Feel free to read the whole thing.

I suppose your ideas are as good as mine as to where the story came from. Moses might also have received the creation story and the flood story, and the Babel story, and the biography of Abraham from God in a mountain. But the most boring part of the bible, genealogies, speaks strongly against it.

Sent from my Z992 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Boring to you, but likely very important to people at the time.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
See how you use "one" in your own post, to describe "one people".

Good point. In English "people" would mean more than one person, but you are saying that in Hebrew echad would mean only one person, right?

What would be the Hebrew for united as in a man and woman becoming one flesh?

In English we know that does not suggest one person, but rather a unity of two persons.

chair

Good point. In English "people" would mean more than one person, but you are saying that in Hebrew echad would mean only one person, right?

What would be the Hebrew for united as in a man and woman becoming one flesh?

In English we know that does not suggest one person, but rather a unity of two persons.

There is nothing complicated about this. Echad is the same as "one" in English. One cow, one sheep. one.

You are making a big deal and a confusion out of something that is very simple.

chair

So according to you day one would not be the first day?

It says Day 1. That's what is says.
It is a fair assumption that it was also the first day, but that is not what the text says.

What in the world are you driving at?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What does the English word "one" mean in the above sentence?

United.

For example the United States is one nation, but not one person.

In English, one flesh means united, two people joined as one.

It looks like there is not a word in Hebrew for united.

chair

United.

For example the United States is one nation, but not one person.

In English, one flesh means united, two people joined as one.

It looks like there is not a word in Hebrew for united.

"one" means "united" because of the context. The same in Hebrew.

But the plain word "one" still means 1. If you say in English "one cow", we know how many cows there are. You didn't mean "united cow". And if you say "one god" it mean 1 god. not "united god".

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It says Day 1. That's what is says.
It is a fair assumption that it was also the first day, but that is not what the text says.

In English we would not have to assume, day one would be the first day by definition.

And one modifies a noun such as one team, one family, one kingdom, one whatever.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In the Complete Jewish Bible it is written: "Sh'ma, Yisra'el! ADONAI Eloheinu, ADONAI echad."

This is different from Genesis 22:2 JCB: "Take your son, your only son."

The word "only" is yachid and means sole (only).

Deuteronomy 6:4 uses echad not yachid.

chair

In English we would not have to assume, day one would be the first day by definition.

And one modifies a noun such as one team, one family, one kingdom, one whatever.

I am not sure why you say it is "by definition" in English. I don't see that definition in Webster's. It is understood from context in the English also.

The use of "one", "echad" in Genesis 1 is a little odd in the Hebrew. Why that is relevant to this discussion I don't know. Explain.

chair

In the Complete Jewish Bible it is written: "Sh'ma, Yisra'el! ADONAI Eloheinu, ADONAI echad."

This is different from Genesis 22:2 JCB: "Take your son, your only son."

The word "only" is yachid and means sole (only).

Deuteronomy 6:4 uses echad not yachid.

Again, this is simple.
"Echad" meand "one" is is used hundreds of times in the Bible
"Yachid" means only. Is is used a handful of times.

You are driving at this idea that "echad" is different from the English number "one". That somehow it indicates a plurality that the English "one" doesn't. The idea is wrong, complete nonsense. It is propagated by some Christian sites, but it simply isn't true.

If "echad" means some kind of plurality- how does one count in Hebrew?

beameup

God is both "one" and "plural" at the same time.

Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent Me.
Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

At Sinai, you sat at the feet of the Holy One of Israel, your Redeemer, and ate and drank. And yet, today, you know not your Redeemer.

chair

God is both "one" and "plural" at the same time.

Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent Me.
Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

At Sinai, you sat at the feet of the Holy One of Israel, your Redeemer, and ate and drank. And yet, today, you know not your Redeemer.

Our Redeemer is God.

Is is quite simple.