Lucifer and the Ancient Earth

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Exodus 20:11 KJV
(11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Exodus 20:11 KJV
(11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

What? Are you claiming the Sabbath was blessed by God and hallowed?

Who's going to believe that?

Didn't Moses invent the Sabbath?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:duh::readthis:Genesis 2 New International Version (NIV)

2 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Perhaps you would like to comment on Genesis 1:2 and Jeremiah 4:23 and תֹּהוּ tôhûw בֹּהוּ bôhûw

And Job 38:7.

A planet designed for angels.

"And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode" (Jude 1:6)

chair

Perhaps you would like to comment on Genesis 1:2 and Jeremiah 4:23 and תֹּהוּ tôhûw בֹּהוּ bôhûw

Sure. Genesis describes God created a formless world, then God, step by step, over 6 days, gives it form and inhabitants. The text is straightforward, and doesn't mention Lucifer, or dark being "bad" or anything of the sort.

The context of the verse in Jeremiah is destruction, not creation of the world. Read the whole chapter.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Sure. Genesis describes God created a formless world, then God, step by step, over 6 days, gives it form and inhabitants. The text is straightforward, and doesn't mention Lucifer, or dark being "bad" or anything of the sort.

Well yes, the angels shouted for joy because they were given a planet with no dry land and covered by clouds that obscured light from the sun.

That called for a celebration, a housewarming party.

Of course an important angel who had once been close to God told the man and woman they were immortal.

And many people today believe they are immortal. After all, Satan told the first couple that was so.

But then Judaism doesn't believe God has an Adversary and that all is good.

chair

Well yes, the angels shouted for joy because they were given a planet with no dry land and covered by clouds that obscured light from the sun.

That called for a celebration, a housewarming party.

Of course an important angel who had once been close to God told the man and woman they were immortal.

And many people today believe they are immortal. After all, Satan told the first couple that was so.

But then Judaism doesn't believe God has an Adversary and that all is good.

Maybe the angels had a tad more patience than you do, and saw the planet as a start, or shouted for joy later on in the creation process.

Satan does not appear in Genesis. Really.

Are you aware that God having a Adversary who is a real threat is not exactly monotheistic?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Maybe the angels had a tad more patience than you do, and saw the planet as a start, or shouted for joy later on in the creation process.

Which came first, Adam or evil?

Or do you not believe there was a tree symbolizing the knowledge of good and evil?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you aware that God having a Adversary who is a real threat is not exactly monotheistic?

God doesn't have an Adversary, but Satan was given this planet for him and the angels.

In the NT Satan offered Jesus the kingdoms of this world, but Jesus declined his offer.

But the Jesus story is that Jesus bought humanity from Satan. I believe that.

Derf

Langford refers to the Ezekiel passage (though without chapter and verse). Here is the passage I believe him to be talking about:

[Eze 28:13-15 KJV] 13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone [was] thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou [art] the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee [so]: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou [wast] perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Several thoughts here.
  • "Lucifer" is not mentioned in Ezekiel, but is presumed by Langford when he connects Isaiah 14:12 and Ezekiel (not to mention the title of the video) as referring to the same person
  • He was in the garden
  • precious stones were his covering, in the garden
  • he was perfect in his ways until iniquity was found in him
  • The "serpent" from Genesis 3:1ff is also not mentioned here, but is presumed

If Lucifer is the same as the serpent in the garden, and the same as the anointed cherub of the Ezekiel passage, then it appears he was still "perfect in all his ways" until he sinned, and still covered in every precious stone, at least until God changed his appearance, which conceivably happened with the curse on him in Gen 3:14. And it appears that the sin of Lucifer, that caused his fall, was that of deceiving Eve, by offering her a different law from what God gave Adam--[Gen 3:4 KJV] 4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:.

What do you call someone who tries to give a different law than what God gives? A false god. What Lucifer tried to do was to usurp God's authority and position--[Isa 14:13-14 KJV] 13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

If, then, the fall of Satan/Lucifer was in the Garden, then the assumption Langford makes that Lucifer was already fallen in a timeframe prior to the earth becoming formless and void (Gen 1:2) is itself a void assumption.

chair

Which came first, Adam or evil?

Or do you not believe there was a tree symbolizing the knowledge of good and evil?

Since there was a tree of knowledge in the garden, good and bad must have existed before man.
An interesting question is whether good and evil exist independently of God. Abraham's argument with God about Sodom and Gomorrah indicates that the concept of Justice, at least, is independent of God.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Since there was a tree of knowledge in the garden, good and bad must have existed before man.
An interesting question is whether good and evil exist independently of God. Abraham's argument with God about Sodom and Gomorrah indicates that the concept of Justice, at least, is independent of God.

I believe the Most High is aware of everything and nothing happens without his approval.

But we can reason with God.

"Come now and let us reason together," says the Lord (Isaiah 1:18)

beameup

The context of the verse in Jeremiah is destruction, not creation of the world. Read the whole chapter.

Would you care to comment on Genesis 1:5 and the use of the word יוֹם yôwm?