LOST - discussion about the TV series LOST. ** SPOILER ALERT **

The Graphite

It's possible that both Jacob and the MIB are bad guys.
That's where I'm putting my money. This is Myst, all over again. Don't trust either one of 'em. Frankly, the more I see of Jacob, the more he gives me the heeby jeebies. :dead:

Adam, keep in mind, Jacob wasn't a very good guy early on when he was called Jacob. Esau was an earthy and lusty brute, but Jacob was a sneaky and conniving little bugger. (Come to think of it, that kind of reminds me of the two brothers from Myst, now doesn't it?)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes! Its why I love Lord of the Rings. Its the most internally consistant fantasy world out there. Of course nothing is perfect.
I don't know about that... that stinking Frodo had me pretty frustrated a few times and so did Sam!! :madmad:

;)

The Graphite

Yes! Its why I love Lord of the Rings. Its the most internally consistant fantasy world out there. Of course nothing is perfect.
Oh, I'm right with you there, especially on LotR, which is the best.

This is also why I enjoyed reading Eragon. Because it was very consistent... in blatantly ripping off Star Wars Ep. IV, from beginning to end. :loser::ha:

The Graphite

I don't know about that... that stinking Frodo had me pretty frustrated a few times and so did Sam!! :madmad:

;)
Yeah, but it was pretty awesome when Sam carried Frodo up the side of Mt. Doom at the end... oh, wait, that wasn't in the book.

But, it was pretty awesome when they killed Wormwood as he stabbed Saruman up on the tower... oh, wait, that wasn't in the book.

Of course, I loved the part where Saruman never actually wanted the ring for himself, but was loyal to Sauron... erhh, wait, no... that wasn't in the book, either.

Ok, ok, ok.... but I did love the whole "scourging of the Shire" bit. THAT was in the book, by golly! :sozo2:

zoo22

That's where I'm putting my money. This is Myst, all over again. Don't trust either one of 'em. Frankly, the more I see of Jacob, the more he gives me the heeby jeebies. :dead:

For those folks who speculate that both Jacob & MIB are both bad (I'm not disagreeing, BTW):

Where do you think the "good" part of the island struggle lies, if you believe there is one? Do you think they're also both good?

Also, if they're both bad (and not good), what's the difference between them? And do you disagree that they represent an opposition of fate and freewill, as the Jacob/MIB conversation on the beach seemed to point to?

Just curious. 100,000,000 words or less please.

The Graphite

For those folks who speculate that both Jacob & MIB are both bad (I'm not disagreeing, BTW):

Where do you think the "good" part of the island struggle lies, if you believe there is one? Do you think they're also both good?

Also, if they're both bad (and not good), what's the difference between them? And do you disagree that they represent an opposition of fate and freewill, as the Jacob/MIB conversation on the beach seemed to point to?

Just curious. 100,000,000 words or less please.
Well, literarily speaking (since this show is produced by secular people, obviously)... I would say the protagonists are the survivors, and the antagonist(s) include not only Jacob and the Locke-ness Monster, but the actual temptation toward evil. Abstract concepts can function as an antagonist in fiction, and temptation certainly qualifies as such an abstract antagonist. And that antagonist can "defeat" a protagonist by successfully seducing them to the dark side.

Jack certainly is whiny, but I'll give him this - he is stubbornly refusing to consciously join either Jacob's side or MIB's side. And that may turn out to his credit!

On a light-hearted note, I would love to see someone do a Photoshop of a picture of the so-called "Smoking Club," ie. those who have defected to FLocke, with black suits, black ties and black sunglasses with the in-picture title "Men In Black." I'd do it myself if I knew how, but I think it would be hilarious. :cool:

Adam

Hall of Fame
Maybe I missed something, why is everyone calling Smokey, MiB? I don't get it. Why is he/she/it called the Man in Black?

The Graphite

And Jacob was wearing white, on the beach, on contrast to the black shirt worn by his adversary.

Black and white, just like Locke's description of Backgammon in the pilot episode, and just like the two stones held by the long-dead bodies of "Adam and Eve" in the cave... just like the stones on the scale in Smokey's cave.

Adam

Hall of Fame
Did you see the final episode last season? On the beach were Jacob and the other man (dressed in black). That is who the smoke monster is.
You bet I did, I don't miss a single episode when there's a continuous storyline of anything. I certainly not only remember the man but also knew that he was smokey/non-Locke. I just didn't hear the MIB acronym until this week.
And Jacob was wearing white, on the beach, on contrast to the black shirt worn by his adversary.

Black and white, just like Locke's description of Backgammon in the pilot episode, and just like the two stones held by the long-dead bodies of "Adam and Eve" in the cave... just like the stones on the scale in Smokey's cave.
I was certain the stones held by Adam and Eve were actually backgammon pieces. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hilston

Hall of Fame
In the "Sundown" episode, when Dogen was describing the "scale" used to "test" Sayid, he explains that some tip toward good, and some toward evil. He used hand gestures to illustrate what he was saying. When he referred to the evil side, he motioned with his left hand, which happened to be wearing a black glove.

The Graphite

You bet I did, I don't miss a single episode when there's a continuous storyline of anything. I certainly not only remember the man but also knew that he was smokey/non-Locke. I just didn't hear the MIB acronym until this week.
I still think my favorite nickname for him (only started recently of course) is the Locke-ness Monster. :cool:

I was certain the stones held by Adam and Eve were actually backgammon pieces. Maybe I'm wrong.
They may very well be!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I guess it's possible they could be ancient or old back gammon pieces.

I thought they looked like smoothed rocks similar to the rocks that were in "Jacobs" cave on his scale.

zoo22

Anyone here read The Stand by Stephen King? I haven't.

Is this next episode supposed to be about Ben? Maybe even a kick-the-bucket episode? Or the beginning of his end? Hm. Anyone speculate that Alex will be around? (I'll check the "yes" box). In the LA post-landing, it'll be cool to see him play the school teacher role. I think he'll be a completely different guy. Likewise, will be cool to see him and LA Locke interact.

The Graphite

The producers have cited The Stand has having a major influence on the show. The Stand and the game Myst are probably the two strongest influences, according to them.

Newman

So whose side are y'all on? Jacob or the Locke-ness Monster?

That is, who do you hope wins out in the end?