Living by God's Law

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Whatever your walk in life it makes sense to live according to God's Law. What are your thoughts about this? What does living according to God's Law look like? What does it look like for you, if anything?

What does the Bible say about living according to God's Law, if anything?

Robert Pate

Banned
Whatever your walk in life it makes sense to live according to God's Law. What are your thoughts about this? What does living according to God's Law look like? What does it look like for you, if anything?

Paul said that the law made him want to sin, Romans 7:7-12.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I kinda like that "Thou shalt not murder" law God made. In fact, I'm glad that civil government implemented it into it's legal system as well (except for abortion, but I don't want to rile up any pro abortion Christians here, so I won't bring it up).

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I kinda like that "Thou shalt not murder" law God made. In fact, I'm glad that civil government implemented it into it's legal system as well (except for abortion, but I don't want to rile up any pro abortion Christians here, so I won't bring it up).
I believe you recognize God's Law and the law of the land in which you live.

How do you define civil government? Would you speak of the Law of the nation of Israel in this or is civil government a conversation for the United States of America or other nations besides Israel?

turbosixx

God’s law today is the law of Christ. Paul said though he was not under the Law of Moses he was not without God’s law, and that law was the law of Christ.
1 Cor. 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments. The law of Christ does have commandments and instructions on how we are to live godly lives.
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
1 Thes. 4:1 Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more. 2 For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.

What it looks like is as Jesus said; love God and your neighbor.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
God’s law today is the law of Christ. Paul said though he was not under the Law of Moses he was not without God’s law, and that law was the law of Christ.
1 Cor. 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

Jesus said if you love me you will keep my commandments. The law of Christ does have commandments and instructions on how we are to live godly lives.
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,
1 Thes. 4:1 Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more. 2 For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.

What it looks like is as Jesus said; love God and your neighbor.
This is a very good post for where this thread is at. It does answer the OP.

Do you differentiate between the law of Christ and the Law of Moses, God's Law and what is God's law?

We are not as Christians under the Law (of Moses) which IS God's Law. Does this mean God's Law extends to or is replaced by the law of Christ or God's law in the New Testament?

The following verse does say change of law.

Hebrews 7:12 NASB - 12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.

I know that Jesus observed and taught the Law (of Moses) God's Law.

In 1 Timothy 1 we read the Law (God's Law, the Law of Moses) is good if one uses it lawfully realizing the fact that it was not made for the righteous.

turbosixx

Do you differentiate between the law of Christ and the Law of Moses, God's Law and what is God's law?
I do see a difference in the Law of Moses and Christ’s law, the two are incompatible. I think Gal. 5:3-4 is says so.

We are not as Christians under the Law (of Moses) which IS God's Law. Does this mean God's Law extends to or is replaced by the law of Christ or God's law in the New Testament?
I believe the Law of Moses has been replaced.
Gal. 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

I know that Jesus observed and taught the Law (of Moses) God's Law.
Yes, Jesus observed the law because he lived and died under it but I suggest he didn’t teach the law but looked forward to his law.

In 1 Timothy 1 we read the Law (God's Law, the Law of Moses) is good if one uses it lawfully realizing the fact that it was not made for the righteous.
Of course, the law hangs on love God and love your neighbor just as does the law of Christ.

OCTOBER23

---------------------------

ITS VERY VERY HARD TO DO WITHOUT BEING CRUCIFIED BY THE SOCIETY.

Lu 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me,

let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
------------------------------

Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead:
otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I do see a difference in the Law of Moses and Christ’s law, the two are incompatible. I think Gal. 5:3-4 is says so.

I believe the Law of Moses has been replaced.
Gal. 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Yes, Jesus observed the law because he lived and died under it but I suggest he didn’t teach the law but looked forward to his law.
What do you say to the following?

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
Of course, the law hangs on love God and love your neighbor just as does the law of Christ.

turbosixx

What's the purpose of the law and who is its audience? When reading the law it becomes a daunting enormous list of do's and don'ts many of which I can recall me breaking after having read it. The law I can recognize as good, shows me to be bad. I know what to do in any given situation but I don't do that. I attribute it to simply being incompetent, weak, or you may even say evil. I am all of these things according to the law. I also observe this in other people. We're all lawbreakers and the penalty for breaking any part of the law even once is... death.

I can't be saved following such a thing. The law to me just shows me how powerless I really am. I really do have to rely on God for every little thing if I want to be someone HE wants me to be.

That was the main purpose of the Law, to show us how sinful we are and that man needed a savior. Imagine all the blood shed the people saw because of their sins.

So the law is not something I follow due to the fact I failed before I even started. Seems silly to me to pursue an endeavor through my power I have none of. I believe I can become competent however by relying on Jesus through faith.

I am completely clean and sinless thanks to God.

Yes, throught Christ we are clean. God had something better planned for us that makes us perfect.

Heb. 11:39 And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself - God's Law

Matthew 22:37-40 KJV -

turbosixx

What do you say to the following?

Matthew 5:17-20 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

I believe what he is saying here is that he will complete them. For example,
Jn. 19: 28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty."

The law and the prophets testify to Jesus and are what the apostles used to prove Jesus as the Messiah.
Acts 28:23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe what he is saying here is that he will complete them. For example,
Jn. 19: 28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, said, "I am thirsty."

The law and the prophets testify to Jesus and are what the apostles used to prove Jesus as the Messiah.
Acts 28:23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.
Do you believe Jesus observed the Law?

turbosixx

Do you believe Jesus observed the Law?

Yes and told others to because he lived and died under the Law. It changed at his DBR.
Heb. 9:16 For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. 17 For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives.

As far as teaching if we look at his teaching what do we see. He changes the law to that of the heart.
Matt. 5:27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Just as the new convenant was described.
Heb. 8:10 "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws into their minds,
And I will write them on their hearts.

turbosixx

We mostly know what it is to Love your neighbor but what does it really mean to Love God?

Excellent question.

Jn. 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.

1 Jn. 2:4 The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes and told others to because he lived and died under the Law. It changed at his DBR.
Heb. 9:16 For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. 17 For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives.

As far as teaching if we look at his teaching what do we see. He changes the law to that of the heart.
Matt. 5:27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; 28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Just as the new convenant was described.
Heb. 8:10 "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws into their minds,
And I will write them on their hearts.
I do have this question.

Do you believe God's word (Law) is eternal? Some say it is no longer to be obeyed. You mention the DBR of Jesus the Christ. This may speak of the new covenant (I can say we should think of the new covenant in that Christ died for us, and DBR (death, burial, and resurrection) is okay) but I don't know what it says of the ascension of Christ, the destruction of the temple, or if Ezekiel's temple both was to be built and has yet to be built.