"Let Us Make Man In Our Image"

Jerry Shugart

So how it is possible that he is a created being?

The Lord Jesus is not a created being. We can see that the Almighty God is said to be the "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending":

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty" (Rev.1:8).​

From what is said by John at Revelation 22:20 we can know that these words are those of the Lord Jesus:

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last" (Rev.22:12-13).​

Since only the Almighty God can be identified as the "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending" we can know with full assurance that the Lord Jesus is the Almighty God and He is not a created Being!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Does the passage of scripture where it says that the "Word became flesh" mean nothing to you?

It means the Word was not flesh before he became Jesus, the son of Mary.

You're not the first one to claim Jesus was never flesh.

Jesus was dust but he was born of the Spirit before he had time to return to dust.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It means the Word was not flesh before he became Jesus, the son of Mary.

You're not the first one to claim Jesus was never flesh.

Jesus was dust but he was born of the Spirit before he had time to return to dust.

I think your assuming I believe something when I really don't. I never said that Jesus Christ was never flesh. I said that He was spirit and then became flesh, and remains both spirit and flesh in heaven to this day.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think your assuming I believe something when I really don't. I never said that Jesus Christ was never flesh. I said that He was spirit and then became flesh, and remains both spirit and flesh in heaven to this day.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Peter Cottontail premise. Peter Cottontail is 100% rabbit and 100% elephant and he carries colored eggs in his trunk.

Surely you can do better than this.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Here we see a plurality in the Godhead:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness... So God created man in his own image" (Gen1:26,27).​

Here God is spoken of as being a plurality. This is a case of a "compound unity," a concept which is spoken of here:

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery" (Eph.5:31-32).​

This concept is above the reasoning of our finite minds and that is why Paul calls it a "mystery." Nevertheless, the concept of "compound unity" is found in the Bible and that same concept applies to the Godhead.

The Bible reveals that there is One God in three Divine Persons. That is why we read of the "name" (singular) of God here:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Mt.28:19).​

Can anyone explain why we see plural pronouns in this verse?:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" (Gen1:26).​

Thanks!

And He did. Body Soul and Spirit.

TrevorL

Greetings Jerry,
The plural “us” is God the Father inviting the angels to participate in the creation of man. This is verified by David’s summary of this:
Psalm 8:5 (KJV): For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
David here understands that the “us” indicates that man was made after the image and likeness of God and the angels, but as he was not made equal to the angels, he must of necessity be made a little lower than the angels.

Kind regards
Trevor

Jerry Shugart

The plural “us” is God the Father inviting the angels to participate in the creation of man. This is verified by David’s summary of this:
Psalm 8:5 (KJV): For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
David here understands that the “us” indicates that man was made after the image and likeness of God and the angels, but as he was not made equal to the angels, he must of necessity be made a little lower than the angels.

Trevor, the "us" refers to no one else but God. According to Genesis 1:26 it is the "us" who created man:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"
(Gen1:26).​

If the angels and God made man then why are the angels left out in this verse?:

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Gen.1:27).​

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
God was speaking to His angels.

Surprise, surprise, they are more than a bunch of useless beings flying around with harps :rolleyes:

Stop reading so far into the scriptures.

TrevorL

Greetings again Jerry and Greetings Grosnick,
Trevor, the "us" refers to no one else but God. According to Genesis 1:26 it is the "us" who created man:
If the angels and God made man then why are the angels left out in this verse?:

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them" (Gen.1:27).​
This "Theory" is ludicrous. I just wanted to let you know. You're really reaching, aren't you?
The angels are not excluded from v27 as they were God’s assistants in the creation as clearly stated in v26. We say a great building is designed and built by some famous architect, but we don’t imagine that the architect himself laid every brick.

Both of you have not really considered or commented on Psalm 8:5 because it does not fit with your theology. David is not saying this out of the blue, but is commenting on, and summarising his meditation on Genesis 1-3 and the phrase "a little lower than the angels" is a summary of Genesis 1:26-27 in particular. Yahweh, God the Father is distinguished from the Angels, and here the word is Elohim in Psalm 8:5, compare other translations that get this wrong and translate Elohim “God” here. This shows that the plural word Elohim in Genesis 1 represents God and the Angels, even though the verb is singular to avoid the wrong impression that there is more than one God. It is One God who is the Creator, but He delights to welcome others to cooperate with Him. The design, the power to create is all from God the Father.

Kind regards
Trevor

Right Divider

Body part

The angels are not excluded from v27 as they were God’s assistants in the creation as clearly stated in v26.
WHERE is this CLEARLY stated in verse 26?

We say a great building is designed and built by some famous architect, but we don’t imagine that the architect himself laid every brick.
That is a completely bogus "analogy". You are trying to bring down God to the level of men!

TrevorL

Greetings Right Divider,
WHERE is this CLEARLY stated in verse 26?
If it was clearly stated then we would not be having this discussion, but from previous discussions with Jerry elsewhere, and his initial question in the OP, I assumed that he was suggesting that the plural “us”, “our”, “our” of Genesis 1:26 is the Trinity. Now there is one thing for sure, this is NOT clearly stated in Genesis 1:26. You would have to prove that Moses who stated Deuteronomy 6:4 was a Trinitarian. What we need to consider is what is the meaning of Genesis 1:26-27 and who are (or is) the “us”, “our”, “our”.

I suggested Psalm 8:5 because I consider it is David’s meditation and summary of Genesis 1:26-27, and because it is also an inspired comment. Have you considered Psalm 8:5 as a possible key to unlock Genesis 1:26-27? What is your understanding of Psalm 8:5 as to why the KJV translates Elohim as angels even though it is not the Hebrew word for angels and yet most modern translations render this as God? We need to rightly divide the word of truth and not impose our theology.

What needs to be considered is what does the plural word Elohim represent in Genesis 1, and why does this plural word have a singular verb attached. Possibly one additional clue is Genesis 3:5. Why is the word Elohim translated “gods” in the KJV, but “God” in many modern versions. And who is the “us” in Genesis 3:22.
That is a completely bogus "analogy". You are trying to bring down God to the level of men!
I had in mind the NT concepts of the Temple or House of God where this concept is stated.

Kind regards
Trevor

Right Divider

Body part
Greetings Right Divider,
If it was clearly stated then we would not be having this discussion,
Greetings TrevorL,

YOU said that it WAS clearly stated.

The angels are not excluded from v27 as they were God’s assistants in the creation as clearly stated in v26. We say a great building is designed and built by some famous architect, but we don’t imagine that the architect himself laid every brick.
Make up your mind. Is it clearly stated or not?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Here we see a plurality in the Godhead:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness... So God created man in his own image" (Gen1:26,27).​

Here God is spoken of as being a plurality. This is a case of a "compound unity," a concept which is spoken of here:

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery" (Eph.5:31-32).​

This concept is above the reasoning of our finite minds and that is why Paul calls it a "mystery." Nevertheless, the concept of "compound unity" is found in the Bible and that same concept applies to the Godhead.

The Bible reveals that there is One God in three Divine Persons. That is why we read of the "name" (singular) of God here:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Mt.28:19).​

Thanks!

I said
I'm sorry but that looks more like a suggestion in verse 26 To everyone in heaven. And then in 27 He changed His mind and made man in His own image.

Gen 1:26-27
26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
(NKJ)