Kentucky clerk who refused gay couples taken into federal custody; ordered jailed

kmoney

Hall of Fame
When the state creates a legally binding commitment it speaks to something, a hope, desire, intention that is expressed in the most powerful terms of the compact, as an expression of right binding right. That has gravitas and we respond to it as human beings.

Sure, but happiness is comprised of any number of things. Why do we have and celebrate anniversaries? Why do we exchange rings? We like symbols. They mean things to us. And their use underscores and even contributes to our happiness. When you're legally bound you're as publicly tied to another human being as the compact can make you. You've added a powerful symbol and public recognition to your personal commitment.
This can all happen without state recognition. I'm sure your wife would like to know that if it weren't for the gravitas attached to your marriage because of the state then you wouldn't have gone for it. ;)

I think you're a little wrong there, supra. Beyond that, I know that being married feels different, is different than dating or simply being in a relationship that you can walk away from without much more than a contrary intent.
You can be married without a state license. Being legally married can add some weight to the commitment and make it more difficult to walk away, but much of that can still be achieved without a license. Two people don't need a license from the state to share their lives together, though it might streamline parts of it.

That's the wrong question the moment you qualify it. Had you asked why it should care about two people I'd say I've answered a little of that. Happier people are better citizens and stable relationships contribute to our happiness, as do the symbols and trappings of them that are meaningful to us.
I can ask the same question about a man and a woman.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This can all happen without state recognition.
I'll catch the repeat of this to remind you of the part of my response this doesn't take into consideration.

I'm sure your wife would like to know that if it weren't for the gravitas attached to your marriage because of the state then you wouldn't have gone for it. ;)
Supra.

You can be married without a state license.
Can I quote you? :plain: :eek:

Being legally married can add some weight to the commitment and make it more difficult to walk away, but much of that can still be achieved without a license.
Not really, unless you're in a common law state.

Two people don't need a license from the state to share their lives together, though it might streamline parts of it.
You missed a step. You don't add gravitas by subtracting it. Like I said, we love symbols and that's a powerful one. Powerful symbols are attractive to couples, which is why people who understand everything you just wrote still want one.

I can ask the same question about a man and a woman.
Not only can you, but you should or you're asking something else, qualifying without demonstrable reason.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'll catch the repeat of this to remind you of the part of my response this doesn't take into consideration.
What?

Supra.

Can I quote you? :plain: :eek:
To who? :noid:

Not really, unless you're in a common law state.
You don't have to live in a common law state to share assets and liabilities, buy a house, have children, etc.

You missed a step. You don't add gravitas by subtracting it. Like I said, we love symbols and that's a powerful one. Powerful symbols are attractive to couples, which is why people who understand everything you just wrote still want one.
I'm not trying to deny that state recognition has no impact, just that it's not as significant as you think.

Not only can you, but you should or you're asking something else, qualifying without demonstrable reason.
Demonstrable reason is in the eye of the beholder. Think about what chrys is beholding. ;)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You don't have to live in a common law state to share assets and liabilities, buy a house, have children, etc.
Can isn't a legal obligation. So it's not as strong.

I'm not trying to deny that state recognition has no impact, just that it's not as significant as you think.
I think all sorts of people getting marriage licenses argues objectively against you.

You don't have to marry at all to live with someone or do anything you can do within a marriage. So why do people do it? Because we love to solemnize our unions and symbols are important to us. And so rings and vows and churches and licenses and public announcements in the local paper.

Demonstrable reason is in the eye of the beholder. Think about what chrys is beholding. ;)
I'm just trying to figure out why you made the distinction. Chrys I understand. :cheers:

Jose Fly

Gee, who would've guessed?

Kim Davis Signs with Christian Book Publisher: ‘I’m a Survivor’ to be Released in Time for Christmas

New York City, New York – Sources are saying that Kim Davis, the Rowan County clerk who made headlines for refusing same-sex couples marriage licenses, has signed a seven figure book deal with Forever Faith publishing and her memoir I’m a Survivor will be released just in time for Christmas.

I can almost hear Davis shouting "Cha ching suckers!!" from here. :rolleyes:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gee, who would've guessed?

Kim Davis Signs with Christian Book Publisher: ‘I’m a Survivor’ to be Released in Time for Christmas

I can almost hear Davis shouting "Cha ching suckers!!" from here. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this whole thing's a pretty sweet racket. Fifteen minutes of fame and then money and fawning from the chumps.

Lottery winners' stories rarely have happy endings.

And now I'd like to see that written in a fortune cookie.

I can't wait for her "I don't want to be the center of attention" book tour. :plain:

Well ... this was ... unexpected. :plain:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You don't have a right to the world you want. So I'm sorry, Amish man, but people are going to wear buttons and loud clothes and dance and drink and smoke. You don't have to be one of them and you are free to tell everyone what you think about their choices, but not to make those choices for them.

bookmark for tomoorow