K thru Hell: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greywolf

Shalom said:
The "why" ..........

Because in a perfect world education would prepare kids for their future. Prepare them for adulthood. As an adult there are appropriate things in the work place and innappropriate things for example. So yes, it is the same reason that we teach kids not to use vulgar langauge that we should also teach kids what is an appropriate subject for a school paper.

So the reason for teaching kids that writing or saying certain things is or isn't appropriate is because such knowledge will be useful in the vocational aspects of their adult lives? (I'll proceed for now on the assumption that the above is an accurate representation of your views. Please correct me if I'm in error.)

I can see how that argument would work in the case of vulgar language. Vulgar words are just a way of expressing certain ideas. Given the abundance of commonly accepted euphamisms for vulgar words, I would say that it is the method of expressing these ideas (i.e. using vulgar words) that is considered inappropriate.

However, when dealing with writing, you are sending the message that it is the idea itself that is inappropriate. So the next question I pose to you is, what makes something appropriate or inappropriate in a given context, like the work place? For instance, if a child grew up to be, say, an author, would it be inappropriate for him/her to write about murder or rape? What if he/she grew up to be an engineer? Would it be inappropriate for him/her to write about murder in, say, a project progress report? Why or why not?

Shalom said:
What mistake was made........

Well lets see here, we have been discussing how I think that a red flag should have been put up when there two Columbine murderers turned in their papers on murdering innocent people. So if I had to guess at my response to this question it would be that I think the mistake was to let Harris and Kleibold go unoticed and "A" graded instead.

Why should a paper on murdering innocent people raise a red flag?

Side note:
As you've probably noticed, I have a tendency to ask a lot of seemingly stupid or obvious questions. I just wanted to say that I'm not trying to patronize you or be annoying. I appreciate your participation thus far, and look forward to continuing our discussion.

Shalom

Greywolf said:
So the reason for teaching kids that writing or saying certain things is or isn't appropriate is because such knowledge will be useful in the vocational aspects of their adult lives? (I'll proceed for now on the assumption that the above is an accurate representation of your views. Please correct me if I'm in error.).

There are many, many other reasons to teach kids that writing or saying certain things is or isnt appropriate.

Greywolf said:
I can see how that argument would work in the case of vulgar language. Vulgar words are just a way of expressing certain ideas. Given the abundance of commonly accepted euphamisms for vulgar words, I would say that it is the method of expressing these ideas (i.e. using vulgar words) that is considered inappropriate.

There are alot of things that the argument works for too. Like teaching kids they have got to be on time with their assingments. They get down graded on that too. In the real world there will be deadlines and they have to develop self disclipline to meet them. (like for instance right now I have 6 houses to estimate for electrical work due by Friday, but I'm messing around on TOL) :chuckle:

Greywolf said:
However, when dealing with writing, you are sending the message that it is the idea itself that is inappropriate. So the next question I pose to you is, what makes something appropriate or inappropriate in a given context, like the work place? For instance, if a child grew up to be, say, an author, would it be inappropriate for him/her to write about murder or rape? What if he/she grew up to be an engineer? Would it be inappropriate for him/her to write about murder in, say, a project progress report? Why or why not?

I never said that it was the topic itself that should be deemed appropriate or inappropraite. It is however the context. Even if an adult author writes a book that glorifys the act of raping. It is inappropriate. If an engineer writes a paper and randomly throws in paragraph on how good it feels to kidnap and murder babies. Its inappropriate. If anyone glorifys the murders of the Jews performed by Hitler in say a highschool paper, thats inappropriate. I cant think of anytime that its is actually appropriate to write about how happy it makes you to murder people. Kliebold and Harris were writing inappropriate papers. They should have been down graded with a meeting between the parents and the teacher.

Greywolf said:
Why should a paper on murdering innocent people raise a red flag?

I'd say if the paper glorifys murdering innocent people it should raise a red flag.

Greywolf said:
Side note:
As you've probably noticed, I have a tendency to ask a lot of seemingly stupid or obvious questions. I just wanted to say that I'm not trying to patronize you or be annoying. I appreciate your participation thus far, and look forward to continuing our discussion.

It cool TOL is just for fun. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.