K thru Hell: Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shalom

Jefferson said:
That's exactly the reason why we are in favor of either homeschooling or Christian schools.
Thats exactly what I thought when I read Greywolf's reply about topics too. :thumb:

Greywolf

Jefferson said:
That's exactly the reason why we are in favor of either homeschooling or Christian schools.

Do you think certain topics should be considered "inappropriate" to write about?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Greywolf said:
If you can't think where to start with my statement, maybe you could state why you think otherwise.
I'm sure I could state my reasons for believing otherwise, without going over your statement. But you're too ignorant for it to make a difference, so I won't waste my time.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Lighthouse said:
I'm sure I could state my reasons for believing otherwise, without going over your statement. But you're too ignorant for it to make a difference, so I won't waste my time.
Wow, nice job.....

Greywolf

Lighthouse said:

Ah, you cut me to the quick. :chuckle:

Just don't expect someone to respect your views if you're not willing to back them up.

Shalom

There are obvious things innappropriate for teens to write about Greywolf. Like for instance my first example I used in a previous post. No teen should turn in a paper that plans out raping another teen. I dont think that violent illegal crime acts that are planned out on paper by students should be tolerated nor should they be just graded and handed back as an "A" paper. One point that hasnt been touched on here is that teens are still child like. They are not adults who make choices based upon alot of wisdom. They still need to be supervised, taught and parented by adults. Just like a teacher teaches elementary school kids the appropriate language to use, teachers should teach teens that it is inappropriate to write about innappropriate topics for school papers. If a teen should be allowed to write about any subject matter then is it innapropriate for an elementary aged child to use vulgar langauge?

In the public school system their are many who believe as you do, which is exactly why I choose not to send my children to any of those schools.

To add to what I said before "hind sight is 20/20" Yes....but we can also learn from our mistakes.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I can back them up. And when it comes to someone I respect who asks me to I will.

Greywolf

Lighthouse said:
If you had an ounce of intelligence you would understand what I meant.:doh:

Don't worry, I know what you meant. It was just such an easy shot that I had to take it.

Greywolf

Shalom said:
There are obvious things innappropriate for teens to write about Greywolf. Like for instance my first example I used in a previous post. No teen should turn in a paper that plans out raping another teen.

Ok, so you've covered the "what". Good.

Shalom said:
I dont think that violent illegal crime acts that are planned out on paper by students should be tolerated nor should they be just graded and handed back as an "A" paper.

As a side note, keep in mind we're not necessarily talking about plans here. For instance, the paper mentioned in Bob's show was not a plan. I think that an explicit plan should be considered on par with a threat, which we already discussed.

Shalom said:
One point that hasnt been touched on here is that teens are still child like. They are not adults who make choices based upon alot of wisdom. They still need to be supervised, taught and parented by adults. Just like a teacher teaches elementary school kids the appropriate language to use, teachers should teach teens that it is inappropriate to write about innappropriate topics for school papers. If a teen should be allowed to write about any subject matter then is it innapropriate for an elementary aged child to use vulgar langauge?

And now we get to the "why". Why is it that we teach young children not to use vulgar words. Is it the same reason as why we should tell teens not to write about certain subjects?

Shalom said:
In the public school system their are many who believe as you do, which is exactly why I choose not to send my children to any of those schools.

That is your prerogative.

Shalom said:
To add to what I said before "hind sight is 20/20" Yes....but we can also learn from our mistakes.

What mistake was made? Is it a mistake not to assume that a kid who writes about murder or rape will become a murderer or rapist?

fool

Hall of Fame
When I went to high school in the 80s writing a paper that mentioned suicide, abuse, drugs,or anything like that was like saying "bomb" on a plane. You'd be sitting in front of a psycologist before the ink was dry.

Johnny

The philosophy says you have the right to make up your own mind whatever is right for you.
Exactly. And that's the reason Bob should be praising the school. Let the parents teach the children morality at home. That is a job the Bible entrusts to parents, not the state. I would not entrust anyone but myself to teach my children morality.

The paper should not be judged for moral content. It should be judged for whatever the intention of the assignment was. If the student wrote a well-written paper, and that was what was being graded, give him a good grade. Then talk to his parents.

Shalom

The "why" ..........

Because in a perfect world education would prepare kids for their future. Prepare them for adulthood. As an adult there are appropriate things in the work place and innappropriate things for example. So yes, it is the same reason that we teach kids not to use vulgar langauge that we should also teach kids what is an appropriate subject for a school paper.

What mistake was made........

Well lets see here, we have been discussing how I think that a red flag should have been put up when there two Columbine murderers turned in their papers on murdering innocent people. So if I had to guess at my response to this question it would be that I think the mistake was to let Harris and Kleibold go unoticed and "A" graded instead.

Johnny

Because in a perfect world education would prepare kids for their future. Prepare them for adulthood.
Maybe he'll grow up to be a Stephen King.

As an adult there are appropriate things in the work place and innappropriate things for example.
And those things are taught by giving bad grades on papers?

So if I had to guess at my response to this question it would be that I think the mistake was to let Harris and Kleibold go unoticed and "A" graded instead.
If they had gotten an "F" would things be different? No. Perhaps what should have had happened was a meeting with the parents.

Shalom

QUOTE=Johnny] Maybe he'll grow up to be a Stephen King.. [/QUOTE]

Maybe..

Johnny said:
And those things are taught by giving bad grades on papers?

One of my high school teachers down graded me rightfully so, because I used a quote from General George Patton in an essay that had a vulgar word in it. Yes it made me as a dumb 16 year old kid realize that it was inappropriate. I shouldn’t have used it. In the future papers I wrote I didn’t do that anymore. Whether you like it or not adults are role models to teens. Teens are still very impressionable. You can teach them the appropriate and inappropriate ways to conduct themselves in school and skills for after they are out of school later in life. No grading their papers isn’t the only way to do this if that's your insinuation. :duh:

Johnny said:
If they had gotten an "F" would things be different? No. Perhaps what should have had happened was a meeting with the parents.

They should have gotten an "F" and had a parent teacher meeting. But that’s assuming that the public school teacher is using his/her brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.