John Calvin said this....

Shasta

I avoid quote mining the ECF as it leads to the anachronistic interpretative views you tout. As I said previously, required reading:

http://www.christianbook.com/scripture-ground-pillar-faith-vols-1/william-webster/pd/4678?event=CFN

Do this and you will avoid the error of reading modern views into ancient texts and the infelicitous raising of the genetic fallacy in your "Augustine!" canard.

AMR

While you say I have "made the error of reading modern views into ancient texts" you do not explain just whICH "modern views" I was attempting to introduce. The rest I am not sure about. Are you saying the ECFs views are anachonistic or that my understanding of their views is. The word "anachronistic" points to particular eras of time which is really irrelevant when it comes to Divine truth which, though, revealed in time are constant throughout time. Just because people can construct explanations as to why the earlier doctrines should be replaced by later ones (and print them in theological tomes) does not make the newer views theologically correct. In this case, the more ancient theology is not Reformed Doctrine, or that of Augustine but that of the ECFs.

Unless you are prepared to show me HOW these quotes have been taken out of context I am going to take your charge that I am "quote mining" as a mere gratuitous assertion. I did not just google those quotations the day before I posted them. I have been reading the ECFs for many years and am convinced that these quotes accurately reflect what these men believed. I could have included a lot more context to support that but for the sake of brevity I did not.

I know the occasion of the ECFs remarks. They were opposing the Gnostics. Particularly they were challenging their teaching on "predeterminism" and the "inability" of mankind to choose based on their total ruin. They used the scriptures to refute these beliefs to show how Gnosticism differed from the Faith. If this was their position, how could their beliefs possibly be congruent to a Christianized version of the same thing?

A Christianized version of predeterminism and inability historically was not taught until Augustine. Is it mere coincidence that he had been a Gnostic before his conversion? In his debates with Pelagius (who believed a human could find and follow God unassisted by the Holy Spirit) Augustine began to take a harder and harder line against freewill. Finally he retreated to his former position on total ruin, total inability and predestination. Eventually he inculcated these ideas into the mainstream Christianity. This is a matter of history that has been noted by many others for generations.

I would be committing The Genetic Fallacy if I tried to make something appear false merely by evoking Augustine's name (thus treating him like a boogey). I am not demonizing him. I think he got off track and I believe I have grounds for saying that. His background in Manichaeism, his philosophical temperament combined with his sloppy (allegorical) hermeneutic led him to import elements of his former cult belief system into the mainstream of Christian teaching, elements that had not been there before. The ECFs give us the picture of what the Church believed before this happened. Therefore their writings are instructive.

I do not think Calvin's views are wrong because he got them from Augustine, I think Augustine's views were unscriptural on their own merit and since Calvin co-opted his views from Augustine he was wrong too (not because of his association with Augustine) but for the same reasons Augustine's were wrong.

Given his background in the Catholic Church, it is understandable that Calvin would be predisposed to prefer Augustine doctrine to that of the ECFs. While the Catholic Church paid lip service to the ECFs they did not actually read them primarily because their works were written in Greek. Western clerics read Augustine because he wrote in Latin and because Augustine was one of the founders of Western Catholicism. Luther, who had been an Augustinian monk also picked up many ideas from the Bishop of Hippo.

Surely you are not taking the indefensible position that the ECFs believed the particular set of beliefs we now call "Reformed" doctrine (i.e.,TULIP). This is utterly not true. The citations I have made accurately reflect what the mainstream view that was had been taught for more than three hundred years starting in the First Century.

The question to be answered is, whether "reformed doctrine" represents the pristine teaching of the early church If it does, why did the earliest generations of orthodox teachers not only fail to repeat it but actively proclaim a message that was in many ways the total opposite of it? John Calvin knew the ECFs disagreed with Augustine. That is why he downplayed their significance.

Shasta

Some have made the point directly and indirectly that Calvin's teaching does not definitively express modern Reformed doctrine. Well since I am not well read on Reformed Doctrine and I have not attended a Reformed Church since I was a child, I can allow that this might be true; nevertheless, the OP in this thread is not what modern Reformed thought says. It is about what the opinions of its forefather John Calvin. Still, I think you cannot put too much distance between him and the modern expressions of His movement. After all, his Institutes is still being used as a reference point.

j4jesus09

Sounds like something the Devil would say.

How would you explain this dialogue in heaven? 2 Chronicles 18:18-22

Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing on his right and on his left. 19 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab king of Israel into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’

“One suggested this, and another that. 20 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’

“‘By what means?’ the Lord asked.

21 “‘I will go and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.

“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

22 “So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Are you suggesting that not only the command of Satan but a person's obedience to it wasn't according to God's eternal decree?

I've already quoted Calvin saying almost that exact thing!

“The devil, and the whole train of the ungodly, are in all directions, held in by the hand of God as with a bridle, so that they can neither conceive any mischief, nor plan what they have conceived, nor how muchsoever they may have planned, move a single finger to perpetrate, unless in so far as he permits, nay unless in so far as he commands, that they are not only bound by his fetters but are even forced to do him service” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 17, Paragraph 11)

“But since he foresees future events only by reason of the fact that he decreed that they take place, they vainly raise a quarrel over foreknowledge, when it is clear that all things take place rather by his determination and bidding.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 6)​

Are not Satan's commands events? Is not a person's obedience to those commands also events? Which events, in your view, did not take "place rather by His determination and bidding"?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Shasta

How would you explain this dialogue in heaven? 2 Chronicles 18:18-22

Micaiah continued, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne with all the multitudes of heaven standing on his right and on his left. 19 And the Lord said, ‘Who will entice Ahab king of Israel into attacking Ramoth Gilead and going to his death there?’

“One suggested this, and another that. 20 Finally, a spirit came forward, stood before the Lord and said, ‘I will entice him.’

“‘By what means?’ the Lord asked.

21 “‘I will go and be a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all his prophets,’ he said.

“‘You will succeed in enticing him,’ said the Lord. ‘Go and do it.’

22 “So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”

I can think of three instances in scripture that speak of demons asking God's permission to perpetrate some mischief on people. Two of these you have already mentioned. To this I will add Jesus remark to Peter,

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded (or begged) to have you, that he might sift you like wheat" (Luke 22:31)

In the case of Job he had a hedge of protection that Satan had to ask God to remove so he could test him. I am inclined to think that Peter was in the same category and that, as a believer, he too was under God's protection. The status of these two men was such that Satan had to petition God before he could tempt him.

Do demons always have to ask permission before they tempt believers? I do not know that there is an answer to this in scripture. Certainly, Job and Peter received some severe testing from the Devil. Maybe they only have to ask when they want to instigate extreme measures.

I doubt if those who deliberately have put their lives at the Enemy's disposal have special protection. Thus Satan "entered the heart of Judas Iscariot" but only after he had been surrendering himself to Satan for a long time.

The case of Ahab was different than that of Job and Peter because God's intention was not redemptive. He wanted to bring him to judgement. Are we to conclude from this that God is in the business of coordinating and micro-managing the demon hordes of the Kingdom of Darkness? If that is God's occupation then what purpose do the "powers, principalities, rulers over the darkness of this world" and even Satan himself serve? The enemy has his own forces organized under his delegated authorities through whom orders sent out to carry out his will. The idea of God continually and closely monitoring and managing the spirits of darkness seems to contradict the spirit of Paul's words:

"...what fellowship have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, (2 Corinthians 6:15)

Think about Jesus' parable about the demons that were cast out and who went to wander through dry places. Eventually returned to the person with 7 times more reinforcements. There is no mention of them having to ask permission but it would really not be necessary since the person, made himself ]vulnerable to further attack. by not getting his life "filled" I think a lot of attacks occur because people play with sin.

Consider all the horrible crimes that are committed daily across the world. Are we prepared to take the position that God in the business of personally dispatching all the demonic messengers to rape, murder, commit incest, abuse children, inspire theft on the basis that He on three occasions allowed otherwise Godly men to be tested and ensured the judgement of two ungodly men? I do not think there is enough about it in scripture to say very much except that sometimes God allows or uses the enemy's work to advance His own interests.

Shasta

Who made the comment that when one obeys the devil they are obeying God?

Its an inference. If the Devil is doing God's will isn't it possible that sometime or another by doing what the Devil wants you are doing God's will also?

Look at it another way. It is not God's will that you sin but you do anyway sometimes. Does this not show that your will is stronger than God's?

How is it that grace which was supposedly irresistible in bringing you to salvation is not so irresistible that it keeps you from sinning after you are saved?

Cedarbay

Its an inference. If the Devil is doing God's will isn't it possible that sometime or another by doing what the Devil wants you are doing God's will also?

Look at it another way. It is not God's will that you sin but you do anyway sometimes. Does this not show that your will is stronger than God's?

How is it that grace which was supposedly irresistible in bringing you to salvation is not so irresistible that it keeps you from sinning after you are saved?
We shall never be free from sin and temptation in this life. The great apostle Paul describes this so well in Romans, chapter 7. The victory is Rom. 8:1-2

Last edited:

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
I can think of three instances in scripture that speak of demons asking God's permission to perpetrate some mischief on people. Two of these you have already mentioned. To this I will add Jesus remark to Peter,

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded (or begged) to have you, that he might sift you like wheat" (Luke 22:31)

In the case of Job he had a hedge of protection that Satan had to ask God to remove so he could test him. I am inclined to think that Peter was in the same category and that, as a believer, he too was under God's protection. The status of these two men was such that Satan had to petition God before he could tempt him.

Do demons always have to ask permission before they tempt believers? I do not know that there is an answer to this in scripture. Certainly, Job and Peter received some severe testing from the Devil. Maybe they only have to ask when they want to instigate extreme measures.

I doubt if those who deliberately have put their lives at the Enemy's disposal have special protection. Thus Satan "entered the heart of Judas Iscariot" but only after he had been surrendering himself to Satan for a long time.

The case of Ahab was different than that of Job and Peter because God's intention was not redemptive. He wanted to bring him to judgement. Are we to conclude from this that God is in the business of coordinating and micro-managing the demon hordes of the Kingdom of Darkness? If that is God's occupation then what purpose do the "powers, principalities, rulers over the darkness of this world" and even Satan himself serve? The enemy has his own forces organized under his delegated authorities through whom orders sent out to carry out his will. The idea of God continually and closely monitoring and managing the spirits of darkness seems to contradict the spirit of Paul's words:

"...what fellowship have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15 Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, (2 Corinthians 6:15)

Think about Jesus' parable about the demons that were cast out and who went to wander through dry places. Eventually returned to the person with 7 times more reinforcements. There is no mention of them having to ask permission but it would really not be necessary since the person, made himself ]vulnerable to further attack. by not getting his life "filled" I think a lot of attacks occur because people play with sin.

Consider all the horrible crimes that are committed daily across the world. Are we prepared to take the position that God in the business of personally dispatching all the demonic messengers to rape, murder, commit incest, abuse children, inspire theft on the basis that He on three occasions allowed otherwise Godly men to be tested and ensured the judgement of two ungodly men? I do not think there is enough about it in scripture to say very much except that sometimes God allows or uses the enemy's work to advance His own interests.

This is why the trinity doctrine is heresy.

You do not know how to differentiate between God and his son.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic

Duh? :sherlock:

Colossians 1:16 KJV

16 For by him were all things created , that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Romans 9:20 KJV

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God ? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

You show yer ignorance of what grace is.

j4jesus09

If God is or isn't we know that He has.The point is it's in the bible, that should inform us that it happens and we should be wise to consider.

Shasta

We shall never be free from sin and temptation in this life. The great apostle Paul describes this so well in Romans, chapter 7. The victory is Rom. 8:1-2

I agree. I was merely pointing out what I see as flaws in Calvin's system. Specifically I was making the point that if God can use irresistible grace to make a person come to salvation then He should be able to use this same grace to keep his chosen from sinning. Yet for some reason there is a odd incongruity between how grace works before and after salvation. This presents no problem to my own belief system. I think men are drawn by the Spirit but must yield their will voluntarily, both in salvation and afterward.

Shasta

If God is or isn't we know that He has.The point is it's in the bible, that should inform us that it happens and we should be wise to consider.

I am just saying we should not go beyond the text and say the Devil is always running ideas past God and asking permission to carry out every mission. This would make God the micromanager of Satan's kingdom. I think the most we can say is that sometimes (especially in the case of God's elect) Satan has to ask permission to put them through severe testing. At times God also uses Satan to destroy someone already under judgment. I think generally people put themselves at risk through sinning or consorting with evil spirits.

j4jesus09

I am just saying we should not go beyond the text and say the Devil is always running ideas past God and asking permission to carry out every mission. This would make God the micromanager of Satan's kingdom. I think the most we can say is that sometimes (especially in the case of God's elect) Satan has to ask permission to put them through severe testing. At times God also uses Satan to destroy someone already under judgment. I think generally people put themselves at risk through sinning or consorting with evil spirits.

God is in control! Spiritual warfare can be tough. We know ephesians 5 says we battle spiritual forces. The passage in 2nd chronicles and many more show us the dialogue that is taking place in the spiritual realms. You have the instance in Job, you have Elijah seeing the angels all around, you have the demons begging to go in the swine and much more. 2chronicles proves when you obey the lying spirits you were actually obeying God!

Cedarbay

I agree. I was merely pointing out what I see as flaws in Calvin's system. Specifically I was making the point that if God can use irresistible grace to make a person come to salvation then He should be able to use this same grace to keep his chosen from sinning. Yet for some reason there is a odd incongruity between how grace works before and after salvation. This presents no problem to my own belief system. I think men are drawn by the Spirit but must yield their will voluntarily, both in salvation and afterward.
God's grace works the same before and after conversion, Shasta.

According to Phil 2:12-13, the work of sanctification is God's work, for His own pleasure. He does the willing and He helps us perform all good works for Him.