JOHN 3:14 LIFTED UP

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
Let me know if you wish to continue in this discussion and I will provide more clarity as best I can
Yes, I am interested. I would also like you to explain Paul's message in Galatians where Paul pronounces a curse upon the preaching of any other Gospel in Galatians 1:6-9 and then his exposition in Galatians 3:8,16,26-29 and other detail. My impression is that you also combine some sort of heaven going at death, rather than resurrection at the return of Christ. I believe in the mortality of the soul and sleep awaiting the resurrection.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE,Yes, I am interested. I would also like you to explain Paul's message in Galatians where Paul pronounces a curse upon the preaching of any other Gospel in Galatians 1:6-9 and then his exposition in Galatians 3:8,16,26-29 and other detail. My impression is that you also combine some sort of heaven going at death, rather than resurrection at the return of Christ. I believe in the mortality of the soul and sleep awaiting the resurrection.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor

I will first address the perversion of the gospel.
First thing is to establish what is the gospel of Christ (Galatians 1:7). The gospel of Christ can be found starting in Mark (Mark 1:1) and I believe Romans 1:16 is saying that it is the gospel of Christ that went first to the Jews by Peter and the apostles. The gospel of Christ is the progressive revelation of the salvation provided in Christ. The twelve apostles were told to preach the gospel of the kingdom (Mark 1:14), which is the prophetic kingdom in which Israel will reign with Christ on earth for a thousand years (Revelation 5:10, 20:4) and be a blessing to the Gentile nations (Isaiah 60:3) that will also enter the kingdom based on how they treat Israel in the tribulation (Matthew 25:32). They preached faith in Christ as their Messiah and the Son of God (John 20:31) who would establish the kingdom. They preached the grace of Christ (Acts 15:11) who shed his blood for the new testament to forgive their trespasses committed under the first testament (Hebrews 9:15) and provide remission of sins through his name in the new testament (Luke 24:47).
Paul was given further revelation of the grace of Christ that all are justified freely (Romans 3:24) and that Jew and Gentile are one body in this dispensation (Romans 12:5 1 Corinthians 12:27).
The gospel message given the twelve apostles was not the complete gospel but they had to believe the gospel of Christ as revealed to them at that time.
Those who were adding circumcision and law keeping to the gospel of Christ were perverting the grace of Christ. Peter was rebuked because he separated himself with those who said circumcision was needed for salvation and going back under the law for salvation.

Last edited:

DougE

Greetings again DougE,Yes, I am interested. I would also like you to explain Paul's message in Galatians where Paul pronounces a curse upon the preaching of any other Gospel in Galatians 1:6-9 and then his exposition in Galatians 3:8,16,26-29 and other detail. My impression is that you also combine some sort of heaven going at death, rather than resurrection at the return of Christ. I believe in the mortality of the soul and sleep awaiting the resurrection.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor
Galatians 3:8 God gave Abraham the gospel saying "In thee shall all nations be blessed."
This was the gospel given to Abraham and to be believed. The gospel was progressively revealed and found in the gospel of God which included this gospel. Whatever was given at their time (or dispensation) was to believed. The gospel of God progressively revealed the justification to eternal life which is in Christ Jesus. Promised by the law and the prophets, and found in scriptures. It encompasses God's grace; God reconciling sinful mankind to himself; reconciling both heaven and earth in Christ.

Starting with Adam, by whom, sin entered, and death by sin. God revealed the promise of a seed, which is Christ, for salvation. See Genesis 3:15

God revealed the righteousness by faith from Abraham, who believed God when the gospel was preached to him. See Galatians 3:6 Galatians 3:8

God further revealed the promised seed in regard to Abraham in Galatians 3:16 which is Christ.

The gospel of God revealed Moses and the law. The law, which imputes sin, by which there is the knowledge of sin. The law, our schoolmaster, to bring us to Christ. See Romans 3:20 and Galatians 3:24

God revealed that Jesus, our righteousness, would come through the seed of David, and the establishment of the everlasting kingdom and throne. See 2 Timothy 2:8 and Hebrews 1:8

God revealed that Jesus, who is the righteousness of God, the promised seed, was in the midst of Israel and is the Christ, the Son of God and that justification to eternal life was given to those who believe on the name of Jesus. God revealed that Jesus would shed his blood, and die, for the new testament. See Acts 13:23 and Matthew 26:28

The gospel of God declares Jesus is the Son of God by his resurrection which was foretold in the law and the prophets. The resurrection was also revealed to the twelve disciples by Jesus Himself. See Psalms 16:10 Matthew 20:19

Paul would preach the gospel of God, in which, he proved Jesus as Christ, the Son of God from the scriptures. He preached repentance toward God and faith toward the Lord Jesus Christ. See Acts 9:20 Acts 17:3 Acts 28:23 and Acts 20:21

Paul revealed all the elements that comprised the gospel of God, which foretells, and reveals that Jesus is the promised seed that would be the Saviour, the Christ, and the Son of God. The gospel of God is the bedrock for the gospel of the grace of God, the gospel of Christ, for Paul's gospel to reveal the full accomplishment of the cross, and the grace of God, in Christ Jesus, that provides salvation freely by faith alone in Christ.

Galatians 3:28 is saying that in Christ all are one and if in Christ, then we are Abraham's seed by faith. We are not physically children of Abraham nor are we given the promises of Israel but we are joint-heirs with Christ (Galatians 4:7 Romans 8:17)

DougE

Kind regards
Trevor

We as the body of Christ will go to heaven (Ephesians 2:6) and be with Christ upon death (2 Corinthians 5:4-8).

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,

I appreciate your extensive explanations. I agree with much of what you have stated, But I will quote only a few portions that I have some differences or difficulties:
The gospel of God is the bedrock for the gospel of the grace of God, the gospel of Christ, for Paul's gospel to reveal the full accomplishment of the cross, and the grace of God, in Christ Jesus, that provides salvation freely by faith alone in Christ.
You seem to be stating here that there are two different Gospels, “the gospel of God” and “the gospel of the grace of God”. I believe that there is only one Gospel. I have reservations about what you are suggesting by “faith alone in Christ”.
The twelve apostles were told to preach the gospel of the kingdom (Mark 1:14), which is the prophetic kingdom in which Israel will reign with Christ on earth for a thousand years (Revelation 5:10, 20:4) and be a blessing to the Gentile nations (Isaiah 60:3)
We as the body of Christ will go to heaven (Ephesians 2:6) and be with Christ upon death (2 Corinthians 5:4-8).
I have quoted these two portions together. The second I do not agree with as I believe that the dead are resurrected at the return of Christ after being asleep in the dust of the earth Daniel 12:2-3. We do not have immortal souls and do not go to heaven at death. The first, I do not believe that it is “Israel” who reigns upon the earth with Christ, but the faithful and these will be immortal, while the converted nation of Israel will be mortals. Are you suggesting that during the 1000 years the faithful will be in heaven, while Jesus will be upon the earth with Israel?

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE,

I appreciate your extensive explanations. I agree with much of what you have stated, But I will quote only a few portions that I have some differences or difficulties:
You seem to be stating here that there are two different Gospels, “the gospel of God” and “the gospel of the grace of God”. I believe that there is only one Gospel. I have reservations about what you are suggesting by “faith alone in Christ”.
I have quoted these two portions together. The second I do not agree with as I believe that the dead are resurrected at the return of Christ after being asleep in the dust of the earth Daniel 12:2-3. We do not have immortal souls and do not go to heaven at death. The first, I do not believe that it is “Israel” who reigns upon the earth with Christ, but the faithful and these will be immortal, while the converted nation of Israel will be mortals. Are you suggesting that during the 1000 years the faithful will be in heaven, while Jesus will be upon the earth with Israel?

Kind regards
Trevor

Hey there
The gospel of God that Paul preaches is comprehensive as I detailed and establishes Jesus according to the law and prophets as Christ, the Son of God from the seed of David and by his resurrection. The revelations given to Paul fully expounded this gospel.

Yes during the reign the believers in the body of Christ will be in heavenly places. All things will be gathered together in Christ (Ephesians 1:10).

Only the body is referred to as sleeping (Matthew 27:52)

Why do you say you have reservations of faith alone in Christ?

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
The gospel of God that Paul preaches is comprehensive as I detailed and establishes Jesus according to the law and prophets as Christ, the Son of God from the seed of David and by his resurrection. The revelations given to Paul fully expounded this gospel.
From my perspective, the only difference between what Paul preached and Peter and Philip was additional minor but important detail. They all preached the One Gospel that had been revealed from Eden.
Yes during the reign the believers in the body of Christ will be in heavenly places. All things will be gathered together in Christ (Ephesians 1:10).
I believe that “heavenly places” is figurative language, not literally in heaven. This is our staus now:
Ephesians 2:4-6 (KJV): 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Only the body is referred to as sleeping (Matthew 27:52)
This is a larger subject but I do not believe in immortal souls.
Why do you say you have reservations of faith alone in Christ?
The phrase “faith alone” has been used and expounded by many and represents all of this exposition, but I believe that individual faith has both quantity and quality and the necessary faith is an affectionate belief in the One Gospel consists of a belief of the things concerning the Name of Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God Acts 8:5-6,12 and this motivates to be baptised in water in identification with the death and resurrection of Christ Romans 6:1-8, and thereafter a faith that lives the crucified / resurrected life Galatians 2:20. My assessment of those that claim “faith alone” do not agree with this definition, and may consent to concepts as OSAS and Holy Spirit almost full guidance from within.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE, From my perspective, the only difference between what Paul preached and Peter and Philip was additional minor but important detail. They all preached the One Gospel that had been revealed from Eden. I believe that “heavenly places” is figurative language, not literally in heaven. This is our staus now:
Ephesians 2:4-6 (KJV): 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: This is a larger subject but I do not believe in immortal souls. The phrase “faith alone” has been used and expounded by many and represents all of this exposition, but I believe that individual faith has both quantity and quality and the necessary faith is an affectionate belief in the One Gospel consists of a belief of the things concerning the Name of Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God Acts 8:5-6,12 and this motivates to be baptised in water in identification with the death and resurrection of Christ Romans 6:1-8, and thereafter a faith that lives the crucified / resurrected life Galatians 2:20. My assessment of those that claim “faith alone” do not agree with this definition, and may consent to concepts as OSAS and Holy Spirit almost full guidance from within.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor

Peter and Paul both preached Jesus but did not preach the same gospel messages. Below are the differences between the gospels and Apostleship's of Peter and Paul.

Peter's Apostleship: His Apostleship was commanded by Jesus Christ along with the other eleven disciples before Paul. Peter was primarily the Apostle to Israel (Galatians 2:8). Peter's Apostleship was diminishing after Paul was converted.

Paul's Apostleship: Paul was persecuting the church of God before being converted. After his conversion Paul was given revelations from the Lord Jesus Christ; Paul did not learn from any man including the twelve Apostles (Galatians 1:12). Paul was primarily the Apostle to Gentiles (Romans 11:13 2 Timothy 1:11).

Peter's Justification: Peter and the other eleven Apostles taught justification unto eternal life by believing on the name of Jesus; by believing Jesus is Christ, the Son of God (Acts 10:43 Matthew 16:16 Acts 4:12 Acts 2:36 John 20:31).

Peter preached that Israel received the new covenant by the crucifixion and shed blood of Jesus (Matthew 26:28 1 Peter 1:2 1 Peter 1:19 Acts 3:18 1 Peter 2:24 Acts 3:25). Peter preached forgiveness of sin at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19).

Paul's Justification: Paul taught justification unto eternal life by the cross (1 Corinthians 1:18 Galatians 6:14 Colossians 1:20). Justification by faith that Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again for complete salvation unto eternal life (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Colossians 2:10). Paul taught forgiveness of all sin now by the blood of Jesus (Ephesians 1:7).

Peter's gospel: Peter preached remission of sins in the name of Jesus (Acts 10:43). Peter taught the gospel of the kingdom (Luke 9:2 Luke 9:6 2 Peter 1:11). Israel would inherit the promise of the Davidic kingdom on earth (Luke 1:32 Genesis 13:15). Israel would rule and reign with Jesus for a thousand year period (Revelation 20:6). Israel would be a light for salvation unto the Gentile nations that would enter the kingdom (Isaiah 42:6).

Paul's gospel: Paul taught the gospel of the uncircumcision (Galatians 2:7). Paul taught salvation to all freely by faith in Christ apart from the covenants of Israel and apart from keeping the law (Romans 9:4 Romans 3:28 Galatians 2:19).

Peter and the resurrection: Peter preached the gospel of the circumcision (Galatians 2:7). Israel under the old covenant promises was promised to be a holy nation and a kingdom of kings and priests to rule over the Gentile nations with Christ (Revelation 1:6 Exodus 19:6 Revelation 5:10). Peter preached that the resurrection of Christ gave Israel assurance of that coming kingdom because Christ was raised to sit on the throne of David in that prophetic kingdom (1 Peter 1:3 Acts 3:25 Acts 2:30). Peter preached the receiving of the Holy Ghost to enable Israel to enter the kingdom (Jeremiah 31:33 Acts 2:33 Acts 2:38).

Paul and the resurrection: Paul taught that Christ was risen for our justification (Romans 4:25).

Peter and works: Peter preached works as necessary for salvation in order to enter the kingdom (Acts 10:35 1 Peter 1:15 1 Peter 2:9 2 Peter 1:10-11). Peter preached to Israel repentance and baptism for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38). Peter preached holiness and to remain steadfast unto the coming of Jesus and his kingdom (2 Peter 3:17).

Paul and works: Paul taught salvation without works (Titus 3:5 Romans 4:6 Ephesians 2:8-9).

Peter and the church: Peter preached to Israel (Acts 3:12). Gentiles had to come through Israel and it's covenants to be added to the church (Exodus 12:48 Acts 11:1); Gentiles had to believe the preaching of the word delivered to Israel as preached by Peter (Acts 13:48).

Paul and the church: Paul taught the church as the body of Christ, a new creature where there was neither Jew or Gentile (Galatians 6:15 Galatians 3:28 Ephesians 2:14).

Peter and heaven: Peter taught that Israel would receive the kingdom on earth ( Luke 9:2 Luke 9:6 2 Peter 1:11 Acts 2:30). He taught their reward was stored in heaven but not in heaven (1 Peter 1:4).

Paul and heaven: Paul taught the church seated with Christ in heavenly places (Ephesians 2:6).

Both Peter and Paul were ordained of God to preach the gospel. Those who believed their gospels are in Christ. Peter's gospel faded away as Israel was diminished and is not the gospel that is preached today. Paul preaches the gospel by which we are saved today. Paul in his epistles reveal the mysteries and doctrine for the church today.

DougE

Greetings again DougE, From my perspective, the only difference between what Paul preached and Peter and Philip was additional minor but important detail. They all preached the One Gospel that had been revealed from Eden. I believe that “heavenly places” is figurative language, not literally in heaven. This is our staus now:
Ephesians 2:4-6 (KJV): 4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) 6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: This is a larger subject but I do not believe in immortal souls. The phrase “faith alone” has been used and expounded by many and represents all of this exposition, but I believe that individual faith has both quantity and quality and the necessary faith is an affectionate belief in the One Gospel consists of a belief of the things concerning the Name of Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God Acts 8:5-6,12 and this motivates to be baptised in water in identification with the death and resurrection of Christ Romans 6:1-8, and thereafter a faith that lives the crucified / resurrected life Galatians 2:20. My assessment of those that claim “faith alone” do not agree with this definition, and may consent to concepts as OSAS and Holy Spirit almost full guidance from within.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor

Justification unto eternal life is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8 Romans 5:1)and can not be lost because it rests in the merits of what Jesus accomplished for us and his imputed righteousness (Romans 4:24).

Romans 6 is speaking of being baptized by the Spirit... there is nothing about water in these verses.

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
Justification unto eternal life is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8 Romans 5:1)and can not be lost because it rests in the merits of what Jesus accomplished for us and his imputed righteousness (Romans 4:24).
I maintain my reservation on the expression “faith alone”. Justification unto eternal life is by an affectionate belief of the true One Gospel of the Kingdom and Name, and unless this faith develops and motivates to bring forth the crucified / resurrected life, in other terms the fruit of the Spirit, then an initial partial faith could lead to failure. Consider the various responses in the Parable of the Sower.
Romans 6 is speaking of being baptized by the Spirit... there is nothing about water in these verses.
I am satisfied with my treatment of this in Posts #11 and #13. I appreciate your Post on Peter and Paul, but cannot accept most of your suggestions and distinctions as I believe that Peter and Paul both preached the One Gospel. Will the faithful be in heaven for the 1000 years, while Jesus is on the earth with Israel?

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE, I maintain my reservation on the expression “faith alone”. Justification unto eternal life is by an affectionate belief of the true One Gospel of the Kingdom and Name, and unless this faith develops and motivates to bring forth the crucified / resurrected life, in other terms the fruit of the Spirit, then an initial partial faith could lead to failure. Consider the various responses in the Parable of the Sower.
I am satisfied with my treatment of this in Posts #11 and #13. I appreciate your Post on Peter and Paul, but cannot accept most of your suggestions and distinctions as I believe that Peter and Paul both preached the One Gospel. Will the faithful be in heaven for the 1000 years, while Jesus is on the earth with Israel?

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor
Yes the believers in the body of Christ will be in heaven during the 1000 years

Please tell me what is the one true gospel?

How much of the fruit of the Spirit is needed to be assured of salvation unto eternal life?

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
Yes the believers in the body of Christ will be in heaven during the 1000 years
I suggest that this is where your two Gospel theory fails. I would rather be with Jesus. Jesus expounds Psalm 110:1 by adding the additional view that the Jews and Gentiles will be with Jesus during the 1000 years, and also the Apostles will share His throne:
Revelation 3:21 (KJV): To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Matthew 19:28 (KJV): And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Please tell me what is the one true gospel?
Luke summarises the One Gospel using the terms “the things of the Kingdom and Name of Jesus Christ” in the following:
Luke 20:34–36 (KJV): 34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Acts 28:30–31 (KJV): 30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, 31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Luke is the author under inspiration of The Acts, and he only sees the need to summarise the Gospel as preached by Philip and Paul using these identical terms.

To determine what Luke means by these terms it is necessary to consider the more detailed explanation as given by the Speeches by Peter in Acts 2 and 3. We could quote some of these speeches, but the following could be a start, as these teach that Jesus was a man approved of God, that he has been raised from the dead and is now seated at the right hand of God, and that he is to return to refresh and restore all things as prophesied in all the prophets:
Acts 2:22 (KJV): Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Acts 2:31–36 (KJV): 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Acts 3:19–21 (KJV): 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

How much of the fruit of the Spirit is needed to be assured of salvation unto eternal life?
God is the Judge, but there are many exhortations for us to patiently endure unto the end. It is most probably more a matter of direction and perseverance rather than quantity. But the following is what Peter suggests:
2 Peter 1:1–11 (KJV): 1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: 2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE, I suggest that this is where your two Gospel theory fails. I would rather be with Jesus. Jesus expounds Psalm 110:1 by adding the additional view that the Jews and Gentiles will be with Jesus during the 1000 years, and also the Apostles will share His throne:
Revelation 3:21 (KJV): To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Matthew 19:28 (KJV): And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Luke summarises the One Gospel using the terms “the things of the Kingdom and Name of Jesus Christ” in the following:
Luke 20:34–36 (KJV): 34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Acts 28:30–31 (KJV): 30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, 31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Luke is the author under inspiration of The Acts, and he only sees the need to summarise the Gospel as preached by Philip and Paul using these identical terms.

To determine what Luke means by these terms it is necessary to consider the more detailed explanation as given by the Speeches by Peter in Acts 2 and 3. We could quote some of these speeches, but the following could be a start, as these teach that Jesus was a man approved of God, that he has been raised from the dead and is now seated at the right hand of God, and that he is to return to refresh and restore all things as prophesied in all the prophets:
Acts 2:22 (KJV): Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Acts 2:31–36 (KJV): 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Acts 3:19–21 (KJV): 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

God is the Judge, but there are many exhortations for us to patiently endure unto the end. It is most probably more a matter of direction and perseverance rather than quantity. But the following is what Peter suggests:
2 Peter 1:1–11 (KJV): 1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: 2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, 3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: 4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor
May I ask if you are a Jehovah witness?

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
May I ask if you are a Jehovah witness?
No, I disagree with JW teaching and practise on many issues.. I belong to a smaller fellowship, a lay movement, with a fairly established understanding and statement of faith, each meeting autonomous, and with a reasonable ebb and flow of people and ideas within the accepted standard of belief. I am the librarian for our meeting, but we have 7-8 speakers/expositors and visiting speakers. It is an encouraging, interesting and beneficial environment, with an all age Sunday School, oldest 102, and weekly memorial, and public address and Bible Class and some combined regional meetings and other activities.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE,No, I disagree with JW teaching and practise on many issues.. I belong to a smaller fellowship, a lay movement, with a fairly established understanding and statement of faith, each meeting autonomous, and with a reasonable ebb and flow of people and ideas within the accepted standard of belief. I am the librarian for our meeting, but we have 7-8 speakers/expositors and visiting speakers. It is an encouraging, interesting and beneficial environment, with an all age Sunday School, oldest 102, and weekly memorial, and public address and Bible Class and some combined regional meetings and other activities.

Kind regards
Trevor

Ok
The reason I asked was you seem to hold similar doctrine in regards to soul sleep and the deity of Christ, unless I have misunderstood.

I still am unclear as to the gospel...could you please state it in your words.

I say it is by believing in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus as complete payment of our sins and by believing in him....we have the forgiveness of all sin by his blood and have his righteousness imputed to us to be made accepted by God. It cant be lost but rewards can. We are to live for him according to his word and out of love and gratefulness apply it to our lives.

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
The reason I asked was you seem to hold similar doctrine in regards to soul sleep and the deity of Christ, unless I have misunderstood.
We do not use the term “soul sleep” as we believe that the whole being returns to the dust until the resurrection Genesis 3:19, Daniel 12:2-3, John 11:11-14. JWs believe in the pre-existence of Christ and suggest that he was Michael the Archangel. We believe that Jesus did not pre-exist and was and is a human, the Son of God by birth through Mary because God the Father was his father in the conception / birth process. I could list other differences, but a few important ones could be mentioned. I believe that Jesus will return and sit upon the Throne of David in Jerusalem for the 1000 years, while JWs believe that Jesus will remain in heaven. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus, which includes his body, while JWs believe that Jesus rose, but his fleshly body was preserved. Most JWs do not partake of the bread and wine, and only celebrate the memorial once a year, but we meet each week and each baptised member partakes of the bread and wine in remembrance of the sacrifice and death and resurrection of Jesus.
I still am unclear as to the gospel...could you please state it in your words.
I say it is by believing in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus as complete payment of our sins and by believing in him....we have the forgiveness of all sin by his blood and have his righteousness imputed to us to be made accepted by God. It cant be lost but rewards can. We are to live for him according to his word and out of love and gratefulness apply it to our lives.
I believe that the death and resurrection is representative not substitutionary. We need to be united with him in belief and baptism, and this is the basis for forgiveness when we acknowledge the righteousness of God revealed in His death and resurrection. Yes, it is important to see that the sacrifice of Christ is central to the Gospel and this is perhaps the most motivating element, but the Gospel comprehends all aspects of the Kingdom and Name. This encompasses the promises in Eden concerning Eve, the various promises to Abraham including the land and the seed, the promises to David. It includes all the Kingdom promises in the prophets and Jesus and the NT writers, and the teaching concerning Christ’s suffering and salvation through His Name. It involves the way of life Matthew 5-7. It involves understanding who Jesus is, as He is our Lord, the Christ and the Son of God. Perhaps this will be sufficient as an introduction, but much could be written on each aspect, and other aspects not mentioned as yet.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE,We do not use the term “soul sleep” as we believe that the whole being returns to the dust until the resurrection Genesis 3:19, Daniel 12:2-3, John 11:11-14. JWs believe in the pre-existence of Christ and suggest that he was Michael the Archangel. We believe that Jesus did not pre-exist and was and is a human, the Son of God by birth through Mary because God the Father was his father in the conception / birth process. I could list other differences, but a few important ones could be mentioned. I believe that Jesus will return and sit upon the Throne of David in Jerusalem for the 1000 years, while JWs believe that Jesus will remain in heaven. I believe in the resurrection of Jesus, which includes his body, while JWs believe that Jesus rose, but his fleshly body was preserved. Most JWs do not partake of the bread and wine, and only celebrate the memorial once a year, but we meet each week and each baptised member partakes of the bread and wine in remembrance of the sacrifice and death and resurrection of Jesus.
I believe that the death and resurrection is representative not substitutionary. We need to be united with him in belief and baptism, and this is the basis for forgiveness when we acknowledge the righteousness of God revealed in His death and resurrection. Yes, it is important to see that the sacrifice of Christ is central to the Gospel and this is perhaps the most motivating element, but the Gospel comprehends all aspects of the Kingdom and Name. This encompasses the promises in Eden concerning Eve, the various promises to Abraham including the land and the seed, the promises to David. It includes all the Kingdom promises in the prophets and Jesus and the NT writers, and the teaching concerning Christ’s suffering and salvation through His Name. It involves the way of life Matthew 5-7. It involves understanding who Jesus is, as He is our Lord, the Christ and the Son of God. Perhaps this will be sufficient as an introduction, but much could be written on each aspect, and other aspects not mentioned as yet.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hello Trevor
I do not understand how you say Jesus is just a man and say he is Lord.

You say that his death was not substitutionary which is not upheld by:
Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Jesus appeased God in being our substitute and taking the punishment for our sins

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

TrevorL

Greetings again DougE,
I do not understand how you say Jesus is just a man and say he is Lord.
He is a very specially prepared man:
Psalm 80:17 (KJV): Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, upon the son of man whom thou madest strong for thyself.

There are two OT words translated “Lord” or “LORD”. One of these usually represented by “LORD” is the Name of the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. The other represents lord, master, ruler. These two different words occur in one of the most frequently quoted and expounded passages in the NT, Psalm 110:1 and an important exposition is in the following:
Acts 2:34–36 (KJV): 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
You say that his death was not substitutionary which is not upheld by:
Romans 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
Jesus appeased God in being our substitute and taking the punishment for our sins

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
This speaks of the righteousness of God. Is it just or righteous to punish the innocent and let the guilty go free? If Jesus appeased God in being our substitute and taking the punishment for our sins, why do others suffer, such as Abel, Job, and even after the crucifixion Paul and Peter? Was God’s anger still simmering or is this part of a larger perspective of why the faithful suffer? If Jesus has taken the punishment for our sins, how can it be said that our sins have been forgiven, if they are already paid for?

My first concept to explain this subject is that Jesus as a mortal descendant of Adam was subject to death. In his death and resurrection He reverses the sentence of Genesis 3:19, as He was sinless, and God is righteous and merciful, He could not see corruption and return to the dust. I would be interested if you agree with this.

Kind regards
Trevor

DougE

Greetings again DougE, He is a very specially prepared man:
Psalm 80:17 (KJV): Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, upon the son of man whom thou madest strong for thyself.

There are two OT words translated “Lord” or “LORD”. One of these usually represented by “LORD” is the Name of the One God, Yahweh, God the Father. The other represents lord, master, ruler. These two different words occur in one of the most frequently quoted and expounded passages in the NT, Psalm 110:1 and an important exposition is in the following:
Acts 2:34–36 (KJV): 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
This speaks of the righteousness of God. Is it just or righteous to punish the innocent and let the guilty go free? If Jesus appeased God in being our substitute and taking the punishment for our sins, why do others suffer, such as Abel, Job, and even after the crucifixion Paul and Peter? Was God’s anger still simmering or is this part of a larger perspective of why the faithful suffer? If Jesus has taken the punishment for our sins, how can it be said that our sins have been forgiven, if they are already paid for?

My first concept to explain this subject is that Jesus as a mortal descendant of Adam was subject to death. In his death and resurrection He reverses the sentence of Genesis 3:19, as He was sinless, and God is righteous and merciful, He could not see corruption and return to the dust. I would be interested if you agree with this.

Kind regards
Trevor

Trevor
I am unable to respond at this time