John 20:28 and the Trinity

Dartman

I can see the interpretation that Jesus is Lord and that God is God. Thomas was talking to Jesus. It depends on how his words were spoken if it was all an address to Him.
The verse says; "And Thomas ANSWERED, and said ...." It does NOT say, "And Thomas CALLED Jesus.."
Thomas answered the point Jesus was making; Christ's God, and Thomas' God, had just raised Thomas' Lord from the dead.
John 20:17 ... but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

glorydaz

The verse says; "And Thomas ANSWERED, and said ...." It does NOT say, "And Thomas CALLED Jesus.."
Thomas answered the point Jesus was making; Christ's God, and Thomas' God, had just raised Thomas' Lord from the dead.
John 20:17 ... but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Oh my, you have a hiss in your words....so intent you are to lead this one astray.

We outnumber you, evil one.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

It says and said unto him. Good with John 20:17.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Thomas realized and confessed that Jesus was his LORD and GOD.

Jesus is God come in the flesh. Which is what we've all been trying to explain to you for years.

Jesus is the Word made flesh. The Word was with God and the Word was God. Difficult to say Jesus is God come in the flesh. Who was with God before the world began?

Dartman

It helps me see that your are trying to lead the babes astray.
Just as your father in the garden did, "Ye shall not surely die". Gen. 3:4KJV

Jesus said....."I will raise it up."
John 2:19-22 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.​

And He added....

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Your confusion is common. It's been brainwashed into mainstream Christianity for about 18 centuries.
Jesus DID raise up, AFTER his God had resurrected him from the dead, the tomb, hell.
Jesus DID "take up his life again", AFTER his God had resurrected him from the dead, the tomb, hell.

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)

Acts 13:30-37 But God raised him from the dead:
31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.
32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that He hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art My Son, this day have I begotten thee.
34 And as concerning that He raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Acts 17:30-31 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Rom 10:9
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

You are in serious jeopardy, since you reject the "Jesus" preached in Scriptures, and that his God raised him from the dead.

Eph 1:17-20 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of His power to usward who believe, according to the working of His mighty power,
20 Which He wrought in Christ, when He raised him from the dead, and set him at His own right hand in the heavenly places,

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1 Peter 1:19-21 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Dartman

It says and said unto him.
Of course. It was a conversation about the resurrection of Jesus. It is perfectly understandable that Thomas' would praise both his God, and his Lord.
Jacob said:
Good with John 20:17.
My point was, according to Jesus, Thomas' God IS HIS God also. Plus Jesus PLAINLY, and CLEARLY stated that his Father is "the ONLY true God."
If you truly follow Jesus, you will believe his words.

Dartman

Oh my, you have a hiss in your words....so intent you are to lead this one astray.

We outnumber you, evil one.
That's a VERY comforting ratio!

Matt 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Matt 7:13-15 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

You think I have a "hiss" .... I think you have a howl.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Of course. It was a conversation about the resurrection of Jesus. It is perfectly understandable that Thomas' would praise both his God, and his Lord.
My point was, according to Jesus, Thomas' God IS HIS God also. Plus Jesus PLAINLY, and CLEARLY stated that his Father is "the ONLY true God."
If you truly follow Jesus, you will believe his words.
I understand your perspective but I am not certain in regard to the interpretation that I know in regard to rejecting it, for somehow I know it, what it is.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I'm sorry, I didn't follow that.
The interpretation that I know is that Thomas was proclaiming Jesus to be His Lord and God, saying that Jesus is God. Then there were the JWs who said that he was saying that Jesus is Lord and His God was Thomas' God. I have seen Thomas' words as an exclamation. But I am not a JW so I do not follow their interpretation.

glorydaz

Jesus is the Word made flesh. The Word was with God and the Word was God.

Difficult to say Jesus is God come in the flesh.

Why is it difficult to say, you just said it?

Who was with God before the world began?

Who do you think the "us" and "our" refers to?

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.​

You said, above, that the Word who became flesh was with God and was God, so clearly the Word was there.

And the Holy Spirit was there.

Gen. 1:1b And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.​

So that means that God, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit were all there.

glorydaz

Your confusion is common. It's been brainwashed into mainstream Christianity for about 18 centuries.
Jesus DID raise up, AFTER his God had resurrected him from the dead, the tomb, hell.
Jesus DID "take up his life again", AFTER his God had resurrected him from the dead, the tomb, hell.

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)

Acts 13:30-37 But God raised him from the dead:
31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.
32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that He hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art My Son, this day have I begotten thee.
34 And as concerning that He raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Acts 17:30-31 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Rom 10:9
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

You are in serious jeopardy, since you reject the "Jesus" preached in Scriptures, and that his God raised him from the dead.

Eph 1:17-20 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of His calling, and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of His power to usward who believe, according to the working of His mighty power,
20 Which He wrought in Christ, when He raised him from the dead, and set him at His own right hand in the heavenly places,

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1 Peter 1:19-21 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Cherry pickin' Charlie is at it again. When you read the word God, you only see the Father, but God is triune. Jesus said quite clearly that He would raise Himself, and you insist on calling Him a liar. :rolleyes:

You do that because you have convinced yourself that there was no OUR in the Genesis chapter 1...accusing God of lying once again. I have no pity for you. You've been told, and now you're here preaching your evil teaching to whomever will take your bait. Not good for you.

glorydaz

That's a VERY comforting ratio!

Matt 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Matt 7:13-15 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

You think I have a "hiss" .... I think you have a howl.

Still preaching law, I see. Suits you.

Dartman

Cherry pickin' Charlie is at it again. When you read the word God, you only see the Father, but God is triune.
Says no Scripture ever.
But Paul states that ANY "Jesus" other than the apostles PREACHED, is deception. You have yet to provide ANY example of your "Jesus" being preached to ANY audience, ANYWHERE in Scripture.
glorydaz said:
Jesus said quite clearly that He would raise Himself, and you insist on calling Him a liar.
No, Jesus isn't a liar. Intentionally Misrepresenting my words IS a lie.
Jesus most certainly DID raise up, just as soon as his God had resurrected him.

Dartman

Still preaching law, I see. Suits you.
Thank you.
I am pleased that you recognize Jesus' commandments as Law ..... and you bet I am still preaching his commandments.
John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me

John 14:24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Rosenritter

Thomas didn't believe Jesus had been resurrected. He said he WOULDN'T believe, unless he handled the wounds. Jesus proved to Thomas, that his God had resurrected his Lord. Thomas then exclaimed praise for BOTH, his God, and his Lord.

NOTHING in the context indicates Jesus and Thomas were discussing whether Jesus was GOD, or not! Thomas' remark MUST be interpreted by the context.

Does that help?

Funny how John doesn't record it like that if that was what he meant.