John 20:28 and the Trinity

Rosenritter

Where have I stated or argued the "god" mentioned in 2 Cor 4:4 was anyone but Satan? You've obviously been misreading this thread. Apple7 is the one denying "the god of this world" in 2 Cor 4:4 refers to Satan as the majority of Christianity understand the verse, he believes that "the god" in 2 Cor 4:4 refers to Jesus, that is the interpretation I referred to as unorthodox. I believe the "god" mentioned is speaking of Satan as you do.

You need to be arguing against your brother in christ apple7 regarding this topic, not me, we are in agreement.

I was asking myself why you would be arguing that point, and I went and reread it a few times to make sure. Seems I still got it wrong. I apologize for the confusion.

Is Apple Calvinist? That might explain why he would read "God" as blinding the minds of everyone to prevent them from the gospel.

Pierac

Don't copy and paste from websites with words that are not your own without at least citing the source. That didn't even respond to the content of the post and as such merits no reply.

Sorry, but they are my own words/research
If you can get them to re-open My Trinity Talk thread that had over 2000 post... the one that converted so many Trinitarians like you to see the truth... the one that it was deleted several years ago because of this fact... then I could cite the sources... But they won't do that!

You think I'm new here?

So... Now that you that you failed to change the topic.... what was the in error in my post?
What was Biblically incorrect in my post?

:rolleyes:
Paul

way 2 go

your cut n paste from
https://debatingchristianity.com/forum/pda/thread.php?topic_id=30015

Why do you teach what you hear in Church and not study for yourself!

You teach GodH430 =el-o-heem' Plural of H433 ; gods as if it's an American term/belief!

Why do I... someone so lowly in life have to teach you the truth... It's out there if you only look!
bragging about being humble , good start.

what you are teaching is not true , so in looking for truth I would never find it.
what I do find contradicts what you teach.
Elohim
Elohim has been a very confusing word for many people. The word elohim is used various ways in Scripture. It is not only used to describe the Almighty, but also individual pagan gods and even mighty human beings. Elohim may be translated as God, god, angels, judges, or even a human being who stands as God's representative or agent.

left out on purpose GodH430 =el-o-heem' Plural of H433 ; gods , sin of omission

For example
Spoiler
, the sons of Heth address Abraham as "a mighty prince," the word for "mighty" being elohim (Genesis 23:6). Some translations have Abraham here being called "Prince of God." Take another instance. In Exodus 4, the Lord tells Moses that he "shall be as God" (elohim) to his brother Aaron. Moses will have God's words in his mouth, and will stand as God's representative before Aaron. Here is a case where an individual human is called elohim. Again in Exodus 7:1, the Lord says to Moses, "See, I make you God [elohim] to Pharaoh." No one dares to suggest that there is a plurality of persons within Moses because he is called elohim, that is, God's representative. The pagan god Dagon is also called elohim in the Hebrew Bible. The Philistines lamented that the God of Israel was harshly treating "Dagon our God [elohim]" (1 Sam. 5:7). Dagon was a single pagan deity. The same holds true for the single pagan god called Chemosh: “Do you not possess what Chemosh your god [elohim] gives you to possess?" (Jud. 11:24). The same for the single deity called Baal.

The Hebrew language has many examples of words which are plural but whose meaning is singular. In Genesis 23, Abraham's wife Sarah dies. The Hebrew text says, "the lives [plural] of Sarah were 127 years" (v. 1). Even the plural verb that accompanies the pronoun does not mean Sarah lived multiple lives. The Hebrews never taught reincarnation or plurality of personhood. Another example of this kind of anomaly in the Hebrew language is found in Genesis 43. After Joseph wept to see his brothers, we read that Joseph "washed his faces" (plural). This is another instance where in the Hebrew language the plural noun functions as a singular noun with a singular meaning, unless, of course, Joseph was a multi-faced human being! The same occurs in Genesis 16:8 where Hagar flees from "the faces" (plural) of her mistress Sarah. These are "anomalies" of the Hebrew language that are clearly understood by Hebrew scholars who rightly translate to a singular form in English.

The better explanation is that the Hebrews used a form of speech called "the plural of majesty." Put simply this means that someone whose position was warrant of dignity was spoken in this way as giving a sign of honor. The plural acted as a means of intensification:
Elohim must rather be explained as an intensive plural, denoting greatness and majesty.

Whenever the word elohim refers to the God of Israel the Septuagint uses the singular and not the plural. From Genesis 1:1 consistently right through, this holds true. The Hebrews who translated their own scriptures into Greek simply had no idea that their God could be more than one individual, or a multiple personal Being! This is true too when we come to the New Testament
. The New Testament nowhere hints at a plurality in the meaning of elohim when it reproduces references to the One God as ho theos, the One God.
:blabla:
the word "run" has 97 definitions , context is key

I gave context of why I believe Elohim is translated Gods
you did not say why it could not be Gods or even admit it could be Gods

Gen 1:1 is consistent with Joh 1:1-2

God is consistent , you not so much

with God & God
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.

My friend... It's easier for you to believe a lie you have heard 1000 times, than to believe the truth you have heard once!

Here's your once on the topic!

:sherlock::poly:
Paul
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

are you JW or mormon ?

NWL

I was asking myself why you would be arguing that point, and I went and reread it a few times to make sure. Seems I still got it wrong. I apologize for the confusion.

Is Apple Calvinist? That might explain why he would read "God" as blinding the minds of everyone to prevent them from the gospel.

There's no need to apologize, we all misread things at times.

I'm not sure what he is, I've asked him before but don't recall getting a reply.

Pierac

Paul did NOT say that Jesus was ONLY a man.

You post as less than a child.

Jesus said that He would raise Himself from the dead. Was Jesus a liar?

Was Moses a Liar when He said he was the Lord Thy GOD?

Deu 29:2 And Moses summoned all Israel and said to them, "You have seen all that the LORD did before your eyes in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh and all his servants and all his land; the great trials which your eyes have seen, those great signs and wonders. "Yet to this day the LORD has not given you a heart to know, nor eyes to see, nor ears to hear. "I have led you forty years in the wilderness; your clothes have not worn out on you, and your sandal has not worn out on your foot."You have not eaten bread, nor have you drunk wine or strong drink, in order that you might know that I am the LORD your God.

You only see your American culture in scripture... You fail to understand the Hebrew concept of Agency

DID Jesus raise himself up... or was he dead? Becauce if he was not dead you have no forgiveness of sin my friend!

Act 2:24 "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.

Act 2:32 "This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses.

Act 3:15 but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses.

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
According to this verse your not saved because you think He raised himself! :think:

Act 2:23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death. "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.

You fail to understand... Jesus is the first born from the dead to be raised by GOD!!! Jesus is the second Adam! 1Co 15:45 So also it is written, "The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

Stop following the traditions of men... They lead to spiritual death
Paul

Right Divider

Body part
Was Moses a Liar when He said he was the Lord Thy GOD?

Deu 29:2 And Moses summoned all Israel and said to them, "You have seen all that the LORD did before your eyes in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh and all his servants and all his land; the great trials which your eyes have seen, those great signs and wonders. "Yet to this day the LORD has not given you a heart to know, nor eyes to see, nor ears to hear. "I have led you forty years in the wilderness; your clothes have not worn out on you, and your sandal has not worn out on your foot."You have not eaten bread, nor have you drunk wine or strong drink, in order that you might know that I am the LORD your God.

You only see your American culture in scripture... You fail to understand the Hebrew concept of Agency

DID Jesus raise himself up... or was he dead? Becauce if he was not dead you have no forgiveness of sin my friend!

Act 2:24 "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.

Act 2:32 "This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses.

Act 3:15 but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses.

Rom 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
According to this verse your not saved because you think He raised himself! :think:

Act 2:23 this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death. "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.

You fail to understand... Jesus is the first born from the dead to be raised by GOD!!! Jesus is the second Adam! 1Co 15:45 So also it is written, "The first MAN, Adam, BECAME A LIVING SOUL." The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.

Stop following the traditions of men... They lead to spiritual death

Paul
Was Jesus a liar when He said that He would raise Himself from the dead?

Pierac

your cut n paste from

what you are teaching is not true , so in looking for truth I would never find it.

with God & God
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

are you JW or mormon ?

No... I follow no man or religion. I only seek out the truth... and few have it! Paul knew...1Co 13:9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

For now I seek as much part as I can know/find until the partial will be done away. Just know that you will not find it in any religion.

I have studied all Christian denominations, where and why do they differ? Start here and you will see the traditions of men come to light. It's like picking spiritual meat off of bones!

Paul

Pierac

your cut n paste from

with God & God

Whenever the word elohim refers to the God of Israel the Septuagint uses the singular and not the plural. From Genesis 1:1 consistently right through, this holds true. The Hebrews who translated their own scriptures into Greek simply had no idea that their God could be more than one individual, or a multiple personal Being! This is true too when we come to the New Testament. The New Testament nowhere hints at a plurality in the meaning of elohim when it reproduces references to the One God as ho theos, the One God.

Don't skim.... read.
Paul

Pierac

Was Jesus a liar when He said that He would raise Himself from the dead?

Just like Moses When He said... I am the LORD your God... Deu 29:6 :readthis:
Moses when from 3rd person to 1st person in one speech!

Study the Hebrew concept of Agency!

:think:
Paul

Rosenritter

Sorry, but they are my own words/research
If you can get them to re-open My Trinity Talk thread that had over 2000 post... the one that converted so many Trinitarians like you to see the truth... the one that it was deleted several years ago because of this fact... then I could cite the sources... But they won't do that!

You think I'm new here?

So... Now that you that you failed to change the topic.... what was the in error in my post?
What was Biblically incorrect in my post?

:rolleyes:
Paul

1. If those were your words, they were words from another time and place that didn't respond to the post in question. As such they might as well have been from someone else because they weren't applicable. The point I addressed was that the use of the word "man" does not mean that the subject is neither God nor angel. Proof was provided.

2. "... the one that converted so many Trinitarians like yourself to see the truth?" leaves me rather skeptical of your ability to gauge the topic at hand. I'll grant respect if you can correct what you can discern (and correct) what you might have said wrong within that statement.

3. You were changing the subject (as to the implications or lack thereof from the word "man"). But if you want a critique of the rest of that cut-and-paste non-answer, yes, there were errors.

"To say that the Messiah is God Himself is to contradict the whole point of this prophecy.
For it announces that the ultimate spokesman for God is expressly not God but a human being"

The point of the prophecy was not that the prophet would not be God, but rather that he would not speak with the "voice of the LORD" that shook mountains and the "great fire" that frightened them to fear of death.

In addition, Jehovah God says clearly that he is not a man (
Numbers 23:19; Job 9:32). The converse is therefore true: if a person is a man, then he can not be God.

Taking these passages out of context will result in error, as is already demonstrated from the previous passages where God if called a man when he visited Abraham. Further example of the error of your "man is not God is not a man" interpretation is found where God visited Jacob in the night and wrestled with him.

Genesis 32:24 KJV
(24) And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

Genesis 32:30 KJV
(30) And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Whatever your interpretation may be, it was not shared by Jacob, nor by Moses who wrote the account concerning Abraham,

That said, I am not interested in pulling apart thousands of pages of your previous posts. I would be content if you would deal with the point at hand concerning the integrity of your specific argument. "Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God" is not a valid argument against the Christ's identity. It is a way of referring to the real person they would recognize.

As for Peter speaking to the actual and ultimate identity of Jesus beyond his mere introduction, look here:

Acts 2:32-35 KJV
(32) This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
(33) Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
(34) For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
(35) Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

Why is it important that he tells them that David is not ascended to heaven? Because David himself prophesied of one who would ascend to heaven, and this Jesus is He who ascended. See Psalm 22, Psalm 23, and finally Psalm 24. This King of Glory who ascends to the hill of the LORD, who receives the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation, this King of Glory is the LORD of Hosts.

Psalms 24:1-10 KJV
(1) A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
(2) For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
(3) Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
(4) He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
(5) He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
(6) This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah.
(7) Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
(8) Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
(9) Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
(10) Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

And if we needed any more identification of the LORD of Hosts and the King of Glory, we are also told that this is the creator of the world and the seas. "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." (John 1:3).

Plainly speaking, an argument that "man" means "not God" rather than "found in fashion as a man" (Php 2:8) runs into problems when compared against other scripture.

Philippians 2:6-11 KJV
(6) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
(7) But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
(8) And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
(9) Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
(10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
(11) And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

... which is Paul's interpretation of this passage from Isaiah....

Isaiah 45:21-23 KJV
(21) Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.
(22) Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
(23) I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Paul considered the name and title of Jesus Christ as interchangeable with God in the context of "there is no God beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me." Paul was not Unitarian; no Unitarian speaks that way.

Rosenritter

Paul

Or perhaps you might consider that the inflection of the voice can indicate quote marks.

Deuteronomy 29:6 KJV (quotation marks added for emphasis, not in original)
(6) Ye have not eaten bread, neither have ye drunk wine or strong drink: "that ye might know that I am the LORD your God."

It's a phrase with which they ought to be familiar.

Exodus 6:6-7 KJV
(6) Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will rid you out of their bondage, and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:
(7) And I will take you to me for a people, and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.

Exodus 16:11-12 KJV
(11) And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
(12) I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God.

... for example, that is. That phrase "I am the LORD your God" occurs some 33 times in the Old Testament. It's summoning the familiar phrase and theme. That isn't the Unitarian "theory of agency" supposed to explain away why our God is not our God, it's the well known figure of speech known as quotation. Except they didn't use quotation marks or quote tags in the Hebrew.

Right Divider

Body part

Paul
Apparently your just going to ignore what the LORD Jesus Christ said. That makes sense as it's the only way to make your fairy tale come true.

Joh 2:19-21 KJV Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (20) Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? (21) But he spake of the temple of his body.

There is no "agency" there, only your vivid imagination.

way 2 go

Whenever the word Elohim refers to the God of Israel the Septuagint uses the singular and not the plural. From Genesis 1:1 consistently right through, this holds true. The Hebrews who translated their own scriptures into Greek simply had no idea that their God could be more than one individual, or a multiple personal Being! This is true too when we come to the New Testament. The New Testament nowhere hints at a plurality in the meaning of elohim when it reproduces references to the One God as ho theos, the One God.

Don't skim.... read.
Paul
Good thing we have the Hebrew to show us Elohim .

theos all 3 times in these 2 verses

Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Dartman

Shalom.

The following verse seems to imply that Jesus is God. But is that what it says? Discuss.

John 20:28 NASB - Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Shalom.

Jacob
First, the meaning of those 5 words cannot be known without the context.
Here is an example;

My brother, and my dog!

Please tell me what I mean, by these 5 words, almost an EXACT quote of Thomas, without more context.

Of course you can't.

The context is crucial.

Second, the context in John 20:24-29 is discussing Thomas' doubt, that his God had resurrected his Lord.

There's your context, and there is the meaning of Thomas' answer to Christ proving that his God had resurrected his Lord.

Thomas' very correctly praised them both.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
First, the meaning of those 5 words cannot be known without the context.
Here is an example;

My brother, and my dog!

Please tell me what I mean, by these 5 words, almost an EXACT quote of Thomas, without more context.

Of course you can't.

The context is crucial.

Second, the context in John 20:24-29 is discussing Thomas' doubt, that his God had resurrected his Lord.

There's your context, and there is the meaning of Thomas' answer to Christ proving that his God had resurrected his Lord.

Thomas' very correctly praised them both.

Interesting perspective. I am not sure that I follow you.

Dartman

Interesting perspective. I am not sure that I follow you.
Thomas didn't believe Jesus had been resurrected. He said he WOULDN'T believe, unless he handled the wounds. Jesus proved to Thomas, that his God had resurrected his Lord. Thomas then exclaimed praise for BOTH, his God, and his Lord.

NOTHING in the context indicates Jesus and Thomas were discussing whether Jesus was GOD, or not! Thomas' remark MUST be interpreted by the context.

Does that help?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Thomas didn't believe Jesus had been resurrected. He said he WOULDN'T believe, unless he handled the wounds. Jesus proved to Thomas, that his God had resurrected his Lord. Thomas then exclaimed praise for BOTH, his God, and his Lord.

NOTHING in the context indicates Jesus and Thomas were discussing whether Jesus was GOD, or not! Thomas' remark MUST be interpreted by the context.

Does that help?

I can see the interpretation that Jesus is Lord and that God is God. Thomas was talking to Jesus. It depends on how his words were spoken if it was all an address to Him.

glorydaz

Does that help?

It helps me see that your are trying to lead the babes astray.
Just as your father in the garden did, "Ye shall not surely die". Gen. 3:4KJV

Jesus said....."I will raise it up."

John 2:19-22 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.​

And He added....

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

glorydaz

I can see the interpretation that Jesus is Lord and that God is God. Thomas was talking to Jesus. It depends on how his words were spoken if it was all an address to Him.

Good for you, Jacob. "Thomas answered and said to HIM.." Not them, but HIM. Don't let the serpent blind you to this very important truth. "Be not faithless, but believing"....as Jesus said to Thomas.

John 20:27-29KJV
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Good for you, Jacob. "Thomas answered and said to HIM.." Not them, but HIM. Don't let the serpent blind you to this very important truth. "Be not faithless, but believing"....as Jesus said to Thomas.

John 20:27-29KJV
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.​

Is the word God here used of God or Jesus?