ECT Jesus Return

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Is there a trans that says countries plural?

Yes, the King James

(Luke 21:21 KJV) Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

Interplanner

OK, it is 'tais chorais,' so it's plural alright. I have to look this up and see what is going on with special plurals, and why NIV or TEV would dismiss it. And also see if 'chorais' was ever used about, say, Greece or Egypt, or if it just means rural/agricultural parts or just other provinces. Interesting! Thanks!

iamaberean

There's more to it.

Jesus came in 70AD on the Feast of Trumpets.

Because the Feast of Trumpets occurred on a new moon, the Israelites never knew for sure what day it would be. The Sanhedrin used to send out two witnesses to confirm the new moon. It was very difficult on cloudy days, and sometimes they didn't see it for two or three days.

Only when the two witnesses returned to the Sanhedrin to confirm the new moon, did the Feast of Trumpets begin.

When Jesus said "But of that day and hour knoweth no man" it was a hint that He would return on the Feast of Trumpets, which is exactly what He did in 70AD

Here is what the two witnesses would look for:

young_moon.jpeg

This may be true, but my contention is how would one live their life if they knew the exact day and time their death would come?

Interplanner

Unless it wasn't their death, IamB. It was instructions on when to leave Jerusalem and Judea. To be safe from their destruction. To leave like Lot.

Jerry Shugart

You keep copying and pasting the same thing over and over again, without addressing the fact that Christ Jesus only told those in Judaea to flee to the mountains.

This wasn't a warning?:

"And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth" (Lk.21:34-35).​

You have already been shown this warning but yet you are unable to learn. You just keep using your same old arguments even though they have already been answered!

All the signs took 40 years.

This has not yet been fulfilled:

"And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth (oikoumene)" (Lk.21:25-26).​

Well known preterist author Gary DeMar says the following about the meaning of the Greek word oikoumene:

"The case can be made that 'oikoumene' is used exclusively for the geographical area generally limited to the Roman empire of the first-century and the territories immediately adjacent which were known and accessible to first-century travelers. When first-century Christians read the word 'oikoumene,' they thought of what they knew of their world" [emphasis mine] (Gary DeMar, "The Gospel Preached to All the World, Part 3 of 4; The Preterist Archive).​

There has never been a time when a judgment came over an area of land which equaled what the first century Christians knew of their world.

I answer your points and you do not even try to answer this point of mine!

Interplanner

There were two legions that were sent at Jerusalem. Does it matter how many when your city is surrounded? It doesn't make any difference. 1.2M Jews died in the whole DofJ. What four corners are you talking about?

Cross Reference

There were two legions that were sent at Jerusalem. Does it matter how many when your city is surrounded? It doesn't make any difference. 1.2M Jews died in the whole DofJ. What four corners are you talking about?

So what?? They will probably lose another 1.2 before then end of this age!!

And yes it does matter. You are merely stretching out one to make two to save face. <I detest "Word" abusers, those who need to make fit the scriptures to their ill-fated doctrines>

What four corners of the earth do you believe Jesus is referring to here: Rev 7:1 KJV?

Interplanner

the reason the armies matters is because when Lk 19 says the city will be surrounded by armies and then it is in that generation and it is pulverized, that is what Christ is talking about happening in that generation. Otherwise he is a space case on drugs.

So now I see. 1.2M Jews death don't matter to you? What kind of a believer are you? ROm 9-11 wants them in God's mission because they have some innate abilities and backgrounds.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think the Jews went to the four corners when the DofJ occurred. Most of those who did not die became slaves on the Roman market.

Do history then theology.

Cross Reference

the reason the armies matters is because when Lk 19 says the city will be surrounded by armies and then it is in that generation and it is pulverized, that is what Christ is talking about happening in that generation. Otherwise he is a space case on drugs.

So now I see. 1.2M Jews death don't matter to you? What kind of a believer are you? ROm 9-11 wants them in God's mission because they have some innate abilities and backgrounds.

You have no idea what you are talking about if you think the Jews went to the four corners when the DofJ occurred. Most of those who did not die became slaves on the Roman market.

Do history then theology.
Get saved and cry out to God for His understanding.

Interplanner

You have no idea, sir.

To be saved is to embrace Rom 3:21-26 as the truth. What are you talking about...on an exclusively Christian theology site, no less? You never explain anything.

Cross Reference

You have no idea, sir.

To be saved is to embrace Rom 3:21-26 as the truth. What are you talking about...on an exclusively Christian theology site, no less? You never explain anything.

To one ingrained in error, it is not possible. Why waste my time just to have it mis-represented by you as the only way you can 'guide' your way out for your lack of understanding.. You have proven sufficiently you have no foundation upon which to understand God's word. Sorry but, the scholarly approach is no approach. You will never come to knowledge with that being your way. If you were born again, you would know that.

Interplanner

Nonsense. What exactly? You're too general and all you do is hate and despise. You don't have any thing to assert in hundreds of posts. You don't even bulldoze me with what you have that is sooooo superior and clear.

iamaberean

When do you believe the resurrection takes place? And what occurs at that point?

Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

When Jesus said the temple would be destroyed they understood that this would mean the end of the age, which includes judgment.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

I Corinthians 15:51-52

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.
For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

I Thessalonians 4:14-17

Clearly, Paul thought he would be alive for the resurrection, but even he got that wrong (for even if it was in 70AD he didn't make it that far). And we read this in Revelation :

The dead in Christ are Jews, those of faith. that were also referred to as sleeping.
We and all Christians have been told that we shall never die. But when we leave this body we take on our glorified body (changed) and will for ever be with the Lord.

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Revelation 20:4-5

Verse 5 clearly puts a 1000 year (at minimum) hiatus between the ruling and reigning of the saints (with Christ) and the resurrection. Per Paul's descriptions above, the resurrection involves Christ's return.

Do you separate the resurrection from Christ's return?

EDIT : And note the contrast....those in verse 4 who refused the mark of the beast LIVED and reigned with Christ 1000 years. The rest of the dead LIVED NOT until that thousand years were up. So they actually lived....

It seems to me that the Preterist position requires this to mean the apostles (and other believers) were raised up and live for this 1000 years or more (starting in 70AD) while the others who die simply have to wait until that period is over. If this is all in the past, that is....

NO, I don't separate the resurrection from Christ's return!
The thousand years you speak of is not one thousand years, if so the scripture would have said so. What is says is 'the thousand years were finished.' Greek word 'chiloi' is an unknown number unless a qualifier is given, such as one, two, three etc. Check out the rest of those scriptures in Revelation that speak of 'thousand' and you will find these qualifiers.

Interplanner

The fullness or times of the Gentiles is one of two major periods from the understanding of Judaism at the time of the 1st century. They knew it was about to begin, but they thought it meant their taking the law to the nations. We find a trace of this in Mt 23 which Jesus despised. Because he meant for the Gospel to be taken and for the whole thing to have an entirely new feel.

The whole rest of history once this starts is the times of the nations. It was not a "parenthesis" in their understanding; it was what was supposed to happen once Messiah came. But the mysterious thing needed to be un-hidden, Eph 3:5-6. That myterious thing was that the whole redemptive effort of God was going forward through the Gospel (the key phrase in those verses) not through the Law. This is why Judaizers who champion the Law are such a bane to Paul, constant friction, persecution. They are trying to fulfill the Judaistic messianic dream which is embedded in the Law rather than the Gospel.

The idea here is not that there is an end to this and then more things are done to or with or through Israel. This was the end phase of history, because it was Messiah's age. The blinder that tripped up Israel so badly was the embedded Law, especially how they approached it after exile. Most of the features of the Messianic age are not that far removed from them, but they defined everything in terms of the Law. (This, btw, made it inflammatory when Christ said he was the Manna from heaven, because by this time Judaism believed the Law was the thing the Manna pictured.)

Last edited:

andyc

Where do you think we are on God's clock concerning the return of Jesus and the gathering a way of the Church?

Do not afraid to state your position, it is your position. You do not have to explain pre-trib, mid-trib, or post-trib.

What is the next thing that will bring the Jesus return and the gathering away.

Is there anything in the way to at this time that prevents it.

Of course God is on time every time.

The Second Coming is a favorite of mine and of those ate nursing home, because soon we'll be with Jesus and all our trials will be over -- Amen! and Amen!

Hallelujah I can hardly wait ... Even so come Lord Jesus!

Hi Psalmist

I kinda feel that the anti Christ has to be revealed as per what Paul explained. Then it gets interesting.

Godbless you and wife!

Andy