Islamic Terrorists France: 12 dead, police gunned down

Repentance

BANNED
Banned
Which by itself puts you outside the realm of decent people. Short of incitement to violence (for which I'd put some very strict controls on what constitutes incitement), there should be no restraint at all on free speech. Slander or libel may have consequences later, but prior restraint is inherently evil.

If God gives people the freedom to disregard His laws, then who are you to object to Him doing so?

Who are you to speak for Him to decide?

If you are person who makes fun of massacres you are not decent in my book. Es-tu Charlie?

God gives people the power to choose evil. God sets us all the test. Part of what the people of God are expected to do is justice and to prevent evil as much as possible.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[H]e Prophet (pbuh)...
1 Jn 4:1

flintstones.jpg

See:

Islam

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
Which by itself puts you outside the realm of decent people. Short of incitement to violence (for which I'd put some very strict controls on what constitutes incitement), there should be no restraint at all on free speech. Slander or libel may have consequences later, but prior restraint is inherently evil.

If God gives people the freedom to disregard His laws, then who are you to object to Him doing so?

Who are you to speak for Him to decide?

If you are person who makes fun of massacres

I said anything that would suggest that? (Barbarian checks) No, turns out that I didn't. In fact, I suggested the opposite. You're not a very honest person, are you?

you are not decent in my book.

But your book allows massacres and sometimes celebrates them.

Es-tu Charlie?

Indeed.

God gives people the power to choose evil. God sets us all the test. Part of what the people of God are expected to do is justice and to prevent evil as much as possible.

Justice is preventing people from abusing each other. Unless a person harms others, his sins are between him and God.

Repentance

BANNED
Banned
Turkey has banned the burka in public buildings, and has for far longer than France. Clean your own house before peeking in the neighbor's windows.
As Turkey is not being a hypocrite. I don't see them preaching about freedom of speech/expression.

And if you are Charlie then you make fun of massacres. They have made fun of the innocent peaceful protesters who were killed by the Egyptian police/authorities during their uprising. The cartoon appeared to show that the Quran couldn't prevent their deaths. I find that so disgusting. Are you that low?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would never agree to the definition of freedom of expression/speech that includes the freedom to blaspheme religion or to slander or to hate speech.

So you don't believe in freedom of speech. Got it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
As Turkey is not being a hypocrite. I don't see them preaching about freedom of speech/expression.

It's in the Kemalist constitution.

And if you are Charlie then you make fun of massacres.

I'm not Charlie. I'm Barbarian. I think those who mock anyone's faith are wrong. I just note that freedom includes the right to be an anti-religion bigot.

They have made fun of the innocent peaceful protesters who were killed by the Egyptian police/authorities during their uprising. The cartoon appeared to show that the Quran couldn't prevent their deaths. I find that so disgusting.

Yep. They still have a perfect right to be disgusting.

Are you that low?

You may have noticed that I considered the most outstanding hero in the French terrorist attacks to be Ahmed Merabet, the Muslim police officer who gave his life defending those who mocked his religion. I don't think that makes me "low." The question is, are you?

Granite

Hall of Fame

And if you are Charlie then you make fun of massacres. They have made fun of the innocent peaceful protesters who were killed by the Egyptian police/authorities during their uprising. The cartoon appeared to show that the Quran couldn't prevent their deaths. I find that so disgusting. Are you that low?

Well obviously the Quran couldn't, so what's your complaint?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I would never agree to the definition of freedom of expression/speech that includes the freedom to blaspheme religion or to slander or to hate speech.
Why not?

I have changed my mind on the Paris shootings.
Excellent. Why?

I now condemn it fully because of two reasons. Killing of a Muslim and the lack of sharia courts/law in France. They still would be severely punished by God.
So murder is only fully worthy of condemnation because Muslims were killed? Not so excellent. Welcome to the eleventh century, you're going to love it.

Nazaroo

So murder is only fully worthy of condemnation because Muslims were killed? Not so excellent. Welcome to the eleventh century, you're going to love it.

This is priceless.

The very thing wrong with Islam, systemic 'us vs them' mentality
and a two-tier legal system (one for Muslims and one for others),
is what is being honoured and accepted as perfectly normal (because the Quran says so?)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If you are person who makes fun of massacres you are not decent in my book.

I agree, and you had better be ready to leave Islam then. Or are you old enough to remember the celebrations and mocking of americans who died in the world trade center tragedy and all the videos of muslims giving candy to their children in celebration as well as the mocking of people here?

DilatedMind

It's interesting how little of what you write about what I write has anything to do with what I've actually written.

Values aren't objective absent an independent arbiter and a standard that exists as an absolute regardless of our preference. Otherwise (and it's peculiar that I should have to explain this to an atheist) it's only a choice you've made in context. That you can rationalize a value isn't the same animal. Sure, a republic is better for most people. But why is what's better for most people the standard again?

That's why I said you were running in a circle on that one.

It's absolutely necessary if you want to claim objective truth in relation to a moral standard, supra.

Really? This philosophical chestnut? Absent the arbiter, which, presumably must be the Creator of the Universe; there's obviously no realm of thought where the arbiter is simply the (dare I say it) democratic principle of success? Get off your high horse. The religious claim here is moribund. And I dare say you damn well know it.
The ability for a human being to flourish actually does, objectively, depend on the absenteeism of the sorts of constraints applied by religion. Amplify that by magnitudes for the religions which constrain 50% of the population to chattel.

Logic is no more limited to a time frame than atheism appears, in your part, to be rooted in logic.
What? Logic 'appeared' well before the abrahamic religions. If this statement was intended to be more than pseudo intellectualism, you've lost me, sunshine.

Again not something I'm arguing against.
Though you have made every attempt to suggest that I thought otherwise.

No, a thing having benefit for X (with X being one or many) is certainly a good for X, but it doesn't follow that the standard is objectively true, only that it is true that the standard is beneficial for X, which I've never argued against. When you attempt to compare and declare X superior then you've overstepped, absent that authority I spoke to. Y's context, which you're comparing it to, will likely have a very different expectation and valuation.
Keep pulling back to this fallacy. I'm sure it serves you well.
But you are wrong.
What Authority are you speaking about, and what evidence do you have that this Authority has validity?
Which is where this stupid assertion falls, flatly on its arse.
You have exactly zero answer that has weight.

That really isn't the problem. The problem is that you're confusing the objective truth that X is beneficial with the idea that X is objectively superior. It isn't unless you accept the premise that its founded upon, which isn't objectively, demonstrably true absent that independent authority and arbiter.
It really is the problem. You're confusing your own ability to believe in some sort of ineffable higher power (absent of evidence), with the subtle realities of dealing with complex, incompatible modes of thought. Well done. You seem to think you've got it pegged. But please understand that you, and those like you are a problem. By all means, continue being presented with a serious philosophical issue; gaze at your navel for a while, and then raise your head only to suggest that more navel introspection is the only solution.
You've made a catastrophic error. You've simply assumed there is a supernatural arbiter, and thus decided no further thought is required. Once again, have your biscuit. But, while you're munching on said biscuit, do not try to assert any sort of superiority. You have none.

As an atheist you can argue for the king's standard, the mob's standard, the general or particular welfare and it remains objectively true that whichever standard you present will be superior for the recipient of the benefit, but that doesn't make it superior to the competitive idea, except within that confine (which itself is arbitrary).
The Competitive Idea? It's true in the sense that members of those societies are more fulfilled by the standards of those societies.
You're going back to your silly ineffable, yet utterly non-defined arbiter again, aren't you? More biscuits on the tray.

It's easily arguable, outside of the metaphysical value, that Christendom did far more good than it ever did ill, depending on your context.
I agree. Pretty much one of my central points, I think you'll find.

You have to make the case I owe reparations, which you haven't. That argument leads you back across the pond and by it you can tax nearly every people against some other, earlier and dominant culture. But it doesn't have much to do with my point, noting your impatience is a bit selectively problematic.
I do? Well, that or you read what I actually typed.

There is no "Islamic world". There are nations, many of which are Islamic. There are a great many people living in nations that aren't Islamic who are Muslims as well. At least one and arguably more of those Islamic states are staunch allies.
The 'Islamic World' is the reality of the constituents of Islam. There is an Islamic World. There is a Christian World, a Football World, a Capitalist World, a Goth World, etc, etc. You are, rather stupidly arguing against the central pilar of your own rather weak argument. But do crack on.
For my own comment, I was referring to those countries which have a stated Islamic Government. They do exist. I spend a lot of time in them.

Yes, we did. That's literally a nonsensical thing to write. You want a history lesson? You want to walk through the Holy Roman Empire and beyond?
Honestly.
I know you get a lot of credit here. But consider the source. Do I need a history lesson? Get over yourself. You're barking up the wrong tree here, sunshine. We did not observe wiser cultures because they were not wiser. We have built upon the foundations of previous cultures.
Get. Over. Yourself.
The chart of human progress has been trending upwards. There have been troughs, and plateaus, but wisdom has only come from observance. Never, and I do mean Never, from revelation.
Nonsensical? Once again, you're just not paying attention.

Didn't do anything of the sort. Stop overly romanticizing the moment.
Well, yeah, you did. As I just elucidated.

For those of us lucky enough to be living the life of a have and in certain parts of the world, absolutely. In many parts of the world, not so much. It's also a world more dangerously perched on the potential edge of extinction, one of our own making.

Yes. And?

And, again, the problem is with some elements of Islam in some areas of the world and not, demonstrably, with most of the well over a billion adherents.

Yup. Again, what's your point? You're neatly missing the history again, aren't you, while desperately trying to make me out to be saying all muslims are evil.
Idiot.
It's almost funny to see if the penny stamped with the phrase 'reformation' will drop with you people.

Numinous? Nonsense. Stalin was filled with hubris, with the foolish notion of self as the final arbiter of the good, as was Mao. They murdered in the millions in the name of no God at all.
And Stalin and Mao weren't full of the numinous delusion of grandiose power? Do you even own a dictionary?

Nearly monolithic, to read you.
And, not for the first time, you'd be wrong.

Your playing that card is hysterical (either). :plain:
Really? Have you ever read your own text? You have your own thread devoted to where you think you've out smarted other people. You've developed solipsism to an actual space on the internet where people can just perma-link it and drop in on you thinking you're very clever. Which you resolutely are not. Take a big whiff, sunshine; you're so full of yourself you don't even know when to stop.

Declarations aren't argument. Look at how I've answered you. That's argument. Supporting conclusion with fact, by way of. Noting actual problems with the construction of a contrary posit, that sort of thing.
And yet you see fit to declare to your heart's content. You're a funny little bugger, to be sure. How you've answered has been arguments to authority (often your own), and an utterly stupid and disjointed observance of history and politics. You've utterly refused to address the facts as they are and ran away to areas of philosophy that are either not relevant or out-dated. More biscuits.

See, that's sort of your song and dance. It has the form of something but reduces to emotion and a willingness to declare against someone without making the case.
I made the case. With a song and dance? Maybe. But the case is made. Not answered though. You have your own song and dance. And, to your credit, you do think you can cut a rug.

I'm not offering platitudes of any sort.
Maybe you'll do better when if you come back.
Maybe not. At least you managed it without cursing...so that's something.

Oh, you.

Maybe you'll do better.

One can only hope.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Really? This philosophical chestnut? Absent the arbiter, which, presumably must be the Creator of the Universe; there's obviously no realm of thought where the arbiter is simply the (dare I say it) democratic principle of success?
The arbiter you choose can be anything. What it can't be is objectively true that a valuation, however chosen, is more than subjectively true to the individual absent that Creator/authority/absolute.

The ability for a human being to flourish actually does, objectively, depend on the absenteeism of the sorts of constraints applied by religion. Amplify that by magnitudes for the religions which constrain 50% of the population to chattel.
In fact, atheists self describe as less happy than their counterparts among the faithful, which is reasonable when you consider the familial nature of congregations at their best, the emotional and intellectual satisfaction of absolute purpose, meaning and survival.

What Authority are you speaking about, and what evidence do you have that this Authority has validity?
The only independent authority for value would be a morally perfect being, the root of that particular, God. The evidence is rationality, supra. Or, without that being and that independent and absolute valuation there is no absolute moral truth, only subjective value, however arrived at.

The Competitive Idea?
The only one that can actually advance an objective moral truth and the one without which no objective moral truth can exist.

I was referring to those countries which have a stated Islamic Government. They do exist. I spend a lot of time in them.
That leaves out a large segment of Islam and a qualification would have been reasonable. The anecdote may be used to illustrate a point made by sufficient fact and argument, but it should never be confused with argument or rule and can't establish it.

You're barking up the wrong tree here, sunshine. We did not observe wiser cultures because they were not wiser. We have built upon the foundations of previous cultures.
It's a peculiar civilization that takes a thing as its own without valuing it.
There have been troughs, and plateaus, but wisdom has only come from observance.
Of what? Ourselves? You only just finished telling me those older examples we built upon weren't wise.
Never, and I do mean Never, from revelation.
Depends on the underlying truth, but all you do there is restate your context/atheism.

You're neatly missing the history again, aren't you, while desperately trying to make me out to be saying all muslims are evil.
No, I was following your unqualified "Islamic World" to take in all of Islam.

Calm yourself. It's only argument...well, it would be if you could manage one. I omit the more of the same "you people" business, though it continued to illustrate part of your problem.

And Stalin and Mao weren't full of the numinous delusion of grandiose power? Do you even own a dictionary?
Numinous: 1. supernatural, mysterious; 2. filled with a sense of the presence of divinity : holy​

Those are your primary and secondary uses. Not really a good fit for Stalin and Mao, are they.

You have your own thread devoted to where you think you've out smarted other people.
Said the only one of us to use "idiot" in a conversation. :plain: Actually, I enjoy repartee and I connect people via that to threads and debates they might otherwise miss, among other things.

I omitted most of the sort of messenger nonsense, but to note a habit of yours and the obvious answer:
How you've answered has been arguments to authority (often your own)
Here's an exercise you won't take but it would help you: demonstrate me doing anything of the sort.

I'll wait while it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Nazaroo

Does "DilatedMind" mean you dropped acid?
Because your posts read alot like Timothy Leary in his babbling phase.

You know that was an MKULTRA experiment to derail
the anti-war effort, right?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I agree, and you had better be ready to leave Islam then. Or are you old enough to remember the celebrations and mocking of americans who died in the world trade center tragedy and all the videos of muslims giving candy to their children in celebration as well as the mocking of people here?
Most Americans are unaware that the people of Iran spontaneously took to the streets of Terhan with candles and singing the night of September 11th. There were thousands of demonstrators. Some carried signs that said "We Are ALL Americans Now."

These folks were avowed Muslims, as well.

FOX "News" certainly said nothing about this.

Why?