Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
still waiting for you to describe your compassion and empathy for the person who kidnaps, tortures, rapes and murders seventeen children

if you do, i'll tell you about my empathy and compassion for that person

Me, very little to none.

then i have more empathy and compassion than you, for i would encourage them to turn to Christ before justice is served upon them

No, you don't ....

actually, i do, because i would have more concern for their eternal existence than you would

Arthur Brain

let's see how that would work in Hitler's case

God: "Bad Hitler! Don't ever do that again or I won't let you into heaven!"

Hitler: "OK. Sorry."

God: "Good Hitler! Come on in!"

Care to play out a similar scenario of Q&A where the victims are in the equation?

:think:

ok doser

Care to play out a similar scenario of Q&A where the victims are in the equation?

:think:

sure!

God: "Hello Hitler victim! Howdja like to accept Christ as your savior and come into heaven?"

Hitler victim: "Dude! That sounds awesome!"

God: "Come on in!"

Arthur Brain

actually, i do, because i would have more concern for their eternal existence than you would

No, what you do is frequently quote mine and post about how you look forward to other people suffering. As quoted.

Maybe you should go back to people having some cartoon ideas about hell or maybe just watch some.

ok doser

still waiting for you to describe your compassion and empathy for the person who kidnaps, tortures, rapes and murders seventeen children

if you do, i'll tell you about my empathy and compassion for that person

Me, very little to none.

then i have more empathy and compassion than you, for i would encourage them to turn to Christ before justice is served upon them

No, you don't ....

yep :)

Aimiel

Obdiously: ECT is Biblical. It's described in several places and implied in several others. Denying that Scripture means what It says is anti-Biblical (read: heretical).

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So, what's the claim?

If you blow it in this life, you remain separated from God for all eternity?
Just wander around with no one to talk to?

You burn in hellfire for all eternity?
Like the burning bush, but never burn up?

God expects us to forgive, but He refuses?
He is unable?
He is too Righteous to forgive everyone?

Jesus answered this:

Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” - Luke 17:3-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke17:3-4&version=NKJV

God cannot forgive someone who is unrepentant.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Uh oh, I said that once, and I was accused of using the Lord's name in vain. :chew:

I'm sick and tired of watching you derail this thread.
I have some questions I'd like to ask PPS.

If that's a malfunction, then sue me. Or report me. I don't really care which.

Oh, and your response above is personalizing this conversation.
Knock it off, Glory.

Doser is trying to stay on topic.

You're not helping.

Arthur Brain

Jesus answered this:

Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” - Luke 17:3-4 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke17:3-4&version=NKJV

God cannot forgive someone who is unrepentant.

Supposing in time everyone is? Or is this finite plain the only time where any divine work has effect?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Supposing in time everyone is? Or is this finite plain the only time where any divine work has effect?

Paul answered this:

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law(for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them )in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. - Romans 2:12-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans2:12-16&version=NKJV

So that even some hindu farmer living up on some mountain who has never been in contact with a Bible or Christian can come to know God, even if he doesn't know His name.

Arthur Brain

Knock it off, Glory.

Doser is trying to stay on topic.

You're not helping.

How about you knock it off in turn?

I notice you didn't even attempt to reply to me after Doser made his stupid and trolling "cartoon" nonsense post. You're not helping any when you enable and give high fives to that dishonest garbage.

You might still be a mod JR but you don't deserve any respect when you endorse stuff like that.

Arthur Brain

Paul answered this:

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law(for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them )in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. - Romans 2:12-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans2:12-16&version=NKJV

So that even some hindu farmer living up on some mountain who has never been in contact with a Bible or Christian can come to know God, even if he doesn't know His name.

Oh, and they're all going to be disposed to believing in the same deity as you with your Bible at hand and some handy quotes? What the heck would a Hindu farmer know about the epistles of Paul? What would a starving family in Ethiopia know about much besides just trying to survive?

:rain:

ok doser

How about you knock it off in turn?

I notice you didn't even attempt to reply to me after Doser made his stupid and trolling "cartoon" nonsense post. You're not helping any when you enable and give high fives to that dishonest garbage.

You might still be a mod JR but you don't deserve any respect when you endorse stuff like that.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Oh, and they're all going to be disposed to believing in the same deity as you with your Bible at hand and some handy quotes? What the heck would a Hindu farmer know about the epistles of Paul? What would a starving family in Ethiopia know about much besides just trying to survive?

:rain:

Read the passage again, Artie listen to what it's saying.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law(for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them)in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. - Romans 2:12-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans2:12-16&version=NKJV

Paul's gospel is true, no matter who hears or doesn't hear it.

Arthur Brain

Read the passage again, Artie listen to what it's saying.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law(for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves,who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them)in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel. - Romans 2:12-16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans2:12-16&version=NKJV

Paul's gospel is true, no matter who hears or doesn't hear it.

What point do you think you're making with that exactly? A person's conscience doesn't require an innate knowledge of law. In some cases it was those who thought they were so clued up on it that lacked the very attributes of humanity they were rebuked for. The legalists during Christ's ministry didn't fare very well.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Everyone is mostly referring to sins (plural articular hamartemata), not sin (singular anarthrous hamartia).

Individual acts are the not the fundamental issue of salvation and that which Christ directly died for. Christ died directly and primarily for sin as a human condition and state of being, individually applied; then the inclusion is for the individual acting and resulting acts/actions of the redeemed. (This is why Calvinism and Arminianism are a false dichotomy based upon a false premise with opposing emphases.)

There should never be a primary evaluative emphasis on individual acts on a scale from benign to heinous. The focus is upon the state of being for all individuals. Salvation is first an ontological issue, and secondarily an economy issue.

Doing bad versus badder versus baddererest things is not the consideration for salvation. Murder, or even genocide, is not something that prevents salvation. But there are other factors to consider if someone has gotten to that point of sin (singular anarthrous hamartia) as their state of being. It requires frustrating grace in a greater manner to be in that condition ontologically.

ok doser

Says the guy who had to go running to the report shed when he didn't like being called out.

:plain:

i'm sorry artie, i shouldn't have posted that

but i'll stand by my report to the woodshed - you were personalizing the argument

in fact you've been doing that all afternoon

if you really want to have a discussion about empathy and compassion, i'm up for it, but leave off the personalizing jabs, ok?

in fact, i started a new thread for it: http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...on-for-Mass-Murderers-Rapists-Child-Molesters