Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
The universe didn't exist 40,000 years ago.

hmmn. can't figure out how to post an image.

Link

Have you even bothered to read the Bible?

Time and time again. It was my religion to study it every day for many years. Decades. FWIW.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, - Romans 1:18 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans1:18&version=NKJV

"Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth." Colossians 3

The Bible doesn't say "torture," though, now does it?

Torture - torment. Same thing.

Truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it?

rstrats

Arthur Brain,
re: "... if unbelief is the killer then many will miss the mark."

And since beliefs cannot be consciously chosen I wonder what a person is suppose to do?

Arthur Brain

Arthur Brain,

And since beliefs cannot be consciously chosen I wonder what a person is suppose to do?

Well isn't that a conundrum? And which is the right one? There's plenty here who would label you an "unsaved heretic" if you don't hold to the correct belief system within Christianity alone so that's fun isn't it?

Arthur Brain

hmmn. can't figure out how to post an image.

Link

Time and time again. It was my religion to study it every day for many years. Decades. FWIW.

"Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience, 7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth." Colossians 3

Torture - torment. Same thing.

Truth hurts sometimes, doesn't it?

Yeah, torture/torment. There's suuuuuch a significant difference.

:rain:

rstrats

ok doser,
re: "how do you figure that?"

Well, I have never been able to consciously choose any of the beliefs that I have nor has anyone that I have asked to demonstrate such an ability complied with my request. Are you suggesting that you have the ability?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
ok doser,
re: "how do you figure that?"

Well, I have never been able to consciously choose any of the beliefs that I have nor has anyone that I have asked to demonstrate such an ability complied with my request. Are you suggesting that you have the ability?

do you believe in man-made global warming?

do you believe a child deserves to live before it is born?

do you believe homosexuality is a societal ill?

Aimiel

So there is a woman standing on the moon?
A simple, "No," would have been an easier answer. So, since you've absolutely no idea of symbolism compared to descriptive language, you probably wouldn't want to try to read Revelation without either a commentary or someone to guide you.

clefty

A simple, "No," would have been an easier answer. So, since you've absolutely no idea of symbolism compared to descriptive language, you probably wouldn't want to try to read Revelation without either a commentary or someone to guide you.

Absolutely no idea? Ouch...

Perhaps you think we are to eat His literal flesh too?

marhig

Arthur Brain,

What do you mean by "beliefs can't be consciously chosen" thanks

rstrats

ok doser,
re: "do you believe in man-made global warming? do you believe a child deserves to live before it is born? do you believe homosexuality is a societal ill? "

No, yes and yes. Any particular reason for asking?

Last edited:

rstrats

glorydaz,
re: "You don't think you consciously choose what to believe?"

I can consciously choose what I would like to believe, but I have never been able to then go ahead and consciously engender the belief.

rstrats

marhig,
re: "What do you mean by 'beliefs can't be consciously chosen'"

That a person is not able to consciously engender a new belief with regard to the existence of someone or something or with regard to the truth about a proposition.