Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Rosenritter

Nonsense. That's like saying God didn't need to ask Adam how they knew they were naked. He asked because He wanted to hear what Adam had to say for himself. :duh:

You caught nobody but yourself and your grasping at straws.

Glory dear, you missed the boldface emphasis. The point was not the "why" but the "thou" ...

If God had raised up Samuel, he wouldn't be asking that question now, would he? He would say 'The LORD hath sent me because ..." and not "why hast thou disquieted me" .... that thou is Saul, not God.

It wasn't God doing the disquieting, rather this Samuel gave credit for power of the act to Saul and the witch.

Rosenritter

Rosey, it seems you've done too much outside "research". The Bible has a fount of information concerning how the enemy works with unbelievers and believers. How he uses the lusts of the flesh and the pride of life to distract us from our path. Wile is his way....not hammers flying across the room..

If you do not attribute the poltergeist-style moving objects to the work of devils, what do you attribute it towards? Windstorms? Angels at play? Devils can behave in all variety of manner Daz.

Satan has no "inside information". He and his fallen angels are kept on a short leash. They can tempt and deceive, but they cannot "deflect arrows". It's the LORD alone who has the power of life and death.

If Satan has no inside information, then what of the several previously-cited New Testament examples where the devil-possessed identified and shouted out "Here comes the Son of God" and the like from a distance? You aren't a member of the spirit world Daz, so given that you aren't a first-hand witness, I'll take what the New Testament gives as it gives it.

Sorry, Rosey, but you've been watching too much tv.

The examples of moving objects (and broken glass) weren't from television. I could name the people it happened to, some of those people I've known for many years on a first-name see-every-day basis.

But yet you say only the LORD has power over life and death, but you allow the witch to summon the dead without God. The apparition of Samuel (which was only visible to the witch, or at least she claims it was) didn't say that God raised him, or that God sent him, but that Saul and the witch disquieted him.

So here's a real question for you: if "Samuel' was sent to Saul for the purpose of spurring him to repentance, then how come:

1) "Samuel" never preached a message of repentance?
2) "Samuel" was only visible to the witch?
3) "Samuel" gave credit for the summoning to the witch, rather than clarifying that he was sent by the LORD?
4) "Samuel" didn't condemn the practice of necromancy, just to keep the record straight?

Rosenritter

No, I believe man is easily deceived, and it's deception that is satan's greatest tool.

And some people fall for that deception easily:

2Co 11:13-15
(13) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
(14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
(15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

You say it, but you fall short of realizing the implications of what you just said. The devil can transform himself into the likeness of a prophet, most especially when it only has to be seen by a single witch. Your strongest premise seems to be the declaration that anything that declares itself to be a friendly spirit must therefore be a friendly spirit.

1Jn 4:1
(1) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

What were the works of this spirit? It did not claim to be sent by God, nor advocated repentance and turning to God. It endorsed necromancy and the power of witches, it offered no solution for sin, rather it was a back door willing to talk when God had chosen silence.

glorydaz

Glory dear, you missed the boldface emphasis. The point was not the "why" but the "thou" ...

If God had raised up Samuel, he wouldn't be asking that question now, would he? He would say 'The LORD hath sent me because ..." and not "why hast thou disquieted me" .... that thou is Saul, not God.

It wasn't God doing the disquieting, rather this Samuel gave credit for power of the act to Saul and the witch.

Rosey dear, you missed what I was saying. Just because someone knows the "why" doesn't mean they won't ask...the purpose being to hear what the other person would say.

I understood Samuel was speaking to Saul.....Samuel wanted to hear what Saul had to say for himself.

Why is that so difficult to understand? Or were you just hoping to make it look like I was too stupid to figure out who Samuel was speaking to? :think:

glorydaz

If you do not attribute the poltergeist-style moving objects to the work of devils, what do you attribute it towards? Windstorms? Angels at play? Devils can behave in all variety of manner Daz.

If Satan has no inside information, then what of the several previously-cited New Testament examples where the devil-possessed identified and shouted out "Here comes the Son of God" and the like from a distance? You aren't a member of the spirit world Daz, so given that you aren't a first-hand witness, I'll take what the New Testament gives as it gives it.

The examples of moving objects (and broken glass) weren't from television. I could name the people it happened to, some of those people I've known for many years on a first-name see-every-day basis.

But yet you say only the LORD has power over life and death, but you allow the witch to summon the dead without God. The apparition of Samuel (which was only visible to the witch, or at least she claims it was) didn't say that God raised him, or that God sent him, but that Saul and the witch disquieted him.

So here's a real question for you: if "Samuel' was sent to Saul for the purpose of spurring him to repentance, then how come:

1) "Samuel" never preached a message of repentance?
2) "Samuel" was only visible to the witch?
3) "Samuel" gave credit for the summoning to the witch, rather than clarifying that he was sent by the LORD?
4) "Samuel" didn't condemn the practice of necromancy, just to keep the record straight?

Lord have mercy.

You assume what your friends claimed to see really happened. :chuckle:

You assume only the witch saw Samuel (but Saul says otherwise).
You assume the witch called Samuel up (when the witch was clearly shocked he appeared).

You falsely claim Samuel gave credit to the witch for the summoning (he did no such thing).

You assume I'm stupid enough to keep beating this dead horse. If you want to discuss scripture, I'm all for it. I will not buy into your odd fancies about the spirit realm, and your false claims about what the scripture clearly states.

glorydaz

And some people fall for that deception easily:

2Co 11:13-15
(13) For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
(14) And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
(15) Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

You say it, but you fall short of realizing the implications of what you just said. The devil can transform himself into the likeness of a prophet, most especially when it only has to be seen by a single witch. Your strongest premise seems to be the declaration that anything that declares itself to be a friendly spirit must therefore be a friendly spirit.

Oh dear, so you think that means that those false prophets who sit with us in the church pews are actually demons...spirits? :chuckle:

That is speaking of people who are not saved pretending to be saved, and the falseness of their message. I'm sorry, but this is getting more than a bit ridiculous. :rotfl:

Rosenritter

Rosey dear, you missed what I was saying. Just because someone knows the "why" doesn't mean they won't ask...the purpose being to hear what the other person would say.

I understood Samuel was speaking to Saul.....Samuel wanted to hear what Saul had to say for himself.

Why is that so difficult to understand? Or were you just hoping to make it look like I was too stupid to figure out who Samuel was speaking to? :think:

The ghost of Samuel said, why have thou disquieted me... the LORD didn't bring this Samuel. Had the LORD raised him, he would have asked, "Why has the LORD summoned me to thee?" The credit and the source for the summoning was given to Saul and his witch.

Last edited:

Rosenritter

Lord have mercy.

You assume what your friends claimed to see really happened. :chuckle:

You assume only the witch saw Samuel (but Saul says otherwise).
You assume the witch called Samuel up (when the witch was clearly shocked he appeared).

You falsely claim Samuel gave credit to the witch for the summoning (he did no such thing).

You assume I'm stupid enough to keep beating this dead horse. If you want to discuss scripture, I'm all for it. I will not buy into your odd fancies about the spirit realm, and your false claims about what the scripture clearly states.

Are you of the persuasion that says that there are no such things as devils loose in the world, thus denying that such events (as you dismissed above) do happen? I remember hearing some logic sometime that went like this:

1) There are no such things as devils in the world,
2) Because the only way to banish those devils would be with the Holy Spirit,
3) And there is no Holy Spirit in the world,
4) Therefore because there is no holy spirit to counter them there are no devils in the world.

It sounds very much like you are employing some sort of assumption or similar logic like that above. You, who are not a witness to the events, and offer no scripture that would legitimately counter such a claim, claim that it is absurd to believe that they could happen.

glorydaz

The ghost of Samuel said, why have thou disquieted me... the LORD didn't bring this Samuel. Had the LORD raised him, he would have asked, "Why has the LORD summoned me to thee?" The credit and the source for the summoning was given to Saul and his witch.

That's pure conjecture on your part....because it's the only thing that fits your "story".

Samuel saw Saul....who he recognized immediately, and said to Saul, "Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?" Samuel understood what you do not. Only God can bring forth people like Samuel, Moses, and Elijah. Samuel knew quite well that God had brought him up, and when he saw Saul, he asked why it was he wanted to see him. It can't get any plainer than that.

To assume you know what Samuel "would have asked" is nonsense...and wishful thinking.

The fact is, Samuel was not "summoned", he was "brought up". The fact that he was brought up shocked the witch, so all your speculations are the worst case of grasping at straws I've ever seen.

glorydaz

Are you of the persuasion that says that there are no such things as devils loose in the world, thus denying that such events (as you dismissed above) do happen?

I remember hearing some logic sometime that went like this:

1) There are no such things as devils in the world,
2) Because the only way to banish those devils would be with the Holy Spirit,
3) And there is no Holy Spirit in the world,
4) Therefore because there is no holy spirit to counter them there are no devils in the world.

It sounds very much like you are employing some sort of assumption or similar logic like that above.

I remember hearing there were flying saucers in this world, but the government is hiding the evidence.

You can't possibly be serious with that list of speculations. Those are as bad as your witch of Endor ones.

You, who are not a witness to the events, and offer no scripture that would legitimately counter such a claim, claim that it is absurd to believe that they could happen.

Who said there was no scripture to counter you claims?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God did speak to Saul through legitimate means...Samuel. In fact, God spoke to Saul many times....just as He did to Israel, time and time again. I'm surprised you don't make that comparison yourself. Then, God saw how Samuel mourned for Saul, and He knew the love Samuel had for him. Do you not recall how God heeded Moses' pleas for the children of Israel? Have you forgotten all the times God gave another chance to those He had planned harm? Exodus 32:14

You made that up.

There comes a time with the unrepentant that God will not speak to them, when they become double dead.

Jer 7:16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.

That seer had no power to call up Samuel. She was surprised when he appeared. I find it hard to accept that a false spirit would repeat exactly what Samuel had already told Saul, and that he would be able to predict Saul and his sons' deaths the next day. Surely you don't think seers have that power.

A witch can not raise up Gods prophets from the dead.

Not at all. It fits in perfectly with what our Lord described in detail in Luke 16.

No, it does not.

And Samuel died...after which Saul repented. He stopped seeking to kill David. Are you going to tell me, AMR, that even a man like King Saul can't repent? Samuel was dead. Who else would God send to repeat His message to Saul and to warn him of his short time on this earth?

More of your made up stuff.

There was no warning, as one might find to a repentant one.

Saul did not repent, What verses says he did??

1 Sam. 26:21 Then said Saul, I have sinned: return, my son David: for I will no more do thee harm, because my soul was precious in thine eyes this day: behold, I have played the fool, and have erred exceedingly.

It was not true repentance for Saul continued on with his [playing the fool.

and his particular sin concerning the temple bought about the death penalty regardless.

Things changed after Samuel's death and God is more than able to bring forth a Prophet from the dead ...He did with Moses and Elijah on the Mount of Transfiguration.

God did not bring up Samuel, only a form of Samuels flesh which satan knew well, like he knows yours.

Moses was alive from the dead through the arch angel bringing him from the grave to wherever Elijah who did not die, now still is.

And His mercy endureth forever. There were others who God hid his face from....for a time and a purpose. Hope is not gone unto they sleep the sleep of death. Not even for Saul.

Psalm 13:1-3
How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me? How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me? Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;​

That is a prayer of men who were persecuted by men like Saul.

This is what David said about men like King Saul--

Rom 11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
Rom 11:9 And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them:
Rom 11:10 Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

He was hoping to speak to Samuel, and knew Samuel would tell him the truth.

No. Saul was more concerned about his own neck.

That's because a demon would not have the information Samuel had. Of course a demon shouldn't be believed. That was not the case here, however. It was Samuel, and he could be believed, and he spoke what ONLY God can know--that Saul, Jonathan, and his other two sons would die the next day. You can't explain that away, dear friend. ;)

Paul had been told before that time.

Besides which, the scripture, itself, says it was Samuel, and the LORD had rejected Saul from being KING over Israel. I think it would be wrong to read more into it than is actually there.

1 Sam. 15:26 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.

Maybe you should read all what Samuel said to Saul before that time, and what it says in the law which warranted his death.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ah, the "spirit of this age"? Where is your verse?

:popcorn:

You should know this before following the RCC version of events.

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world (age)

LA

glorydaz

You made that up.

There comes a time with the unrepentant that God will not speak to them, when they become double dead.

Jer 7:16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.

But, when does that time actually come? As I said, the Lord God is long suffering. It is not for you or anyone else to say when that "last chance" will be.

Jeremiah 18:11 Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.

I'll need facts, not just conjecture and private interpretation if you want to discuss Samuel and Saul. I am not as long suffering as our Lord is.

glorydaz

You should know this before following the RCC version of events.

Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world (age)

LA

That has nothing to do with what you claim.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But, when does that time actually come? As I said, the Lord God is long suffering. It is not for you or anyone else to say when that "last chance" will be.

Jeremiah 18:11 Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.

I'll need facts, not just conjecture and private interpretation if you want to discuss Samuel and Saul. I am not as long suffering as our Lord is.

God said--

You disagree with His word.

LA