Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Lon

Lon, how do any of those passages below give any evidence that a Pharisee believes that the dead are conscious?
I really have no idea what you're thinking.

Acts 23:6-8 Acts 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.
Sadducees: Annihilation. Pharisees: :nono: the body is dead, spirit alive.

Matthew 22:23-46 Matthew 22:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead, but of the living.”
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob: Not dead "living" at the time this was said.

Mark 12:18-27 Mark 12:27 "He is not God of the dead, but of the living. You are quite wrong.”

Luke 20:27-38 Luke 20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Lon

I have yet to find two of these "I came back from the dead" stories that don't contradict both with themselves and the scripture. But tell me, how do you choose which personal stories to believe in? I know people who have personal stories of past life experiences. Do you just choose the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't like? Sort of like the Old Age Evolutionists do with the radioactive dating, they keep the 2% of the dates the like and ignore all the rest?

:think: John 11:43 When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out.”
Matthew 28:6 He is not here, for he has risen, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay.
Acts 9:40 But Peter put them all outside, and knelt down and prayed; and turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up.
Acts 20:8-10
Part the problem of compromising on any one orthodox point, is that it causes and more than not requires a compromise on other orthodox positions.

Be careful how far you are willing to go before you toss out all orthodox scriptural points altogether. -Lon

Last edited:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I wish annihilation were true, but it cant be, or eternal life isnt true.

One is not contingent on the other. Dispensational understanding of Sh'ol from the Lake of Fire and concluded judgment is the key.

Romans 6:24
2 Cor. 5:8
1 Cor. 15
And... Psalm 37:10 are more than sufficient to sustain that our souls remain alive after death... and... all scripture that says all that is old will be done away with cinches it all up.

The annihilation argument that denies that our souls go on... unless willfully destroyed by God... is futile.

This is why Jesus gave us this verse... (Mt. 10:28)

I'm still out for a couple more days... but... I figured I would express my perspective.

After all... Mt. 19:26

All respect,

- EE

glorydaz

We do have people that came back from death. The child of the widow that the prophet raised. The daughter of Jarius. Lazarus. A man that Paul raised that fell from the rafters. Yet the scripture doesn't record any testimonies from them that "this and that happened while I was dead." Their silence on the subject is unanimous.

There was no news media pumping them for those details....which could only distract from the miracle. But we do have other portions of scripture...this being one of the best. (One that many people try to explain away the same as they do Luke chapter 16.

1 Samuel 28:3
Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, even in his own city. And Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land.

1 Samuel 28:15-16 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do. Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?​

We know every word spoken by Samuel came true....his sons would die with him on the field of battle. Samuel asked why he had "disquieted him" (being as how he was comfortable in Abraham's bosom).

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
One is not contingent on the other. Dispensational understanding of Sh'ol from the Lake of Fire and concluded judgment is the key.

Romans 6:24
2 Cor. 5:8
1 Cor. 15
And... Psalm 37:10 are more than sufficient to sustain that our souls remain alive after death... and... all scripture that says all that is old will be done away with cinches it all up.

The annihilation argument that denies that our souls go on... unless willfully destroyed by God... is futile.

This is why Jesus gave us this verse... (Mt. 10:28)

I'm still out for a couple more days... but... I figured I would express my perspective.

After all... Mt. 19:26

All respect,

- EE

yes, it has to be, since the exact same greek word is used in the exact same phrase for eternal life and eternal death.

glorydaz

Hmmm. I can see your point, but if there can be eternal life, it seems there can be eternal death.

Let's just say....those who believe receive eternal life (when the believe).

Those who do not believe, will be raised to be judged, but there is no life in them.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Hmmm. I can see your point, but if there can be eternal life, it seems there can be eternal death.

Those who do not believe, will be raised to be judged, but there is no life in them.

But it also says in revelation that there will be everlasting torment in the lake of fire where they are sent.

way 2 go

Joh_6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Rosenritter

Now that you mention it, I was thinking that it didn't sound like Josephus. The Josephus who only made an indirect reference to Christ when he mentions "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James"[ ...

And your objection of "doesn't apply" likewise doesn't apply to the story setting of a parable. You keep getting ahead of yourself on this one.

It doesn't apply. The Lord Jesus Christ gave Luke 16:19-31

Pharisees weren't being warned of Eternal Conscious Torment. First, you haven't yet shown a source (biblical or otherwise) to evidence that any Pharisees believed that death was a conscious expereince, second, there is no "eternal" in the story, as the judgment is not yet and the end effect of the punishment of judgment is described as destruction into ash from both Jesus and John the Baptist.

I didn't dismiss it. In fact, I said if it were a parable, it makes the problem worse, if it were to the Pharisees, He is warning them of ECT.

So if "no such acknowledgement exists" then please explain why Matthew Henry, John Gill ,and Albert Barnes all identified the passage as a parables within their Bible commentaries? I'm not going to do the copy and paste a second time. Fairness of rational discussion means that you need to at least provide a reason if you are going to ignore evidence. Just saying "not so" is what Way 2 Go does, which is why I largely ignore him.

:nono: No such acknowledgement exists. Rather, they acknowledge it has some things in common with parables, but a lot of differences as well.
Again, if a parable, to me, it makes it doubly problematic.

Lon, numbers or what is thought to be majority aren't a valid measure in this sort of question. When Elias was in the minority, and thought he was the only one left, God assured him that there were seven thousand men who had not yet bowed the knee to Baal. Yet even those seven thousand of minority were thought to be much less, if at all, because they were persecuted by the majority.

It may be that many who intuitively can tell there is something wrong with "Eternal Conscious Torment" may not be properly armed with scriptures, or attempt a proper "on the scripture only" request for review and/or confrontation. However, I have personal first-hand experience witnessing abominable behavior that is railed upon those that do question, especially if on the basis of scriptures. So much that I started a collection documenting all the variety of bad behavior, from those that supposedly are supposed to be representatives of God and who with their mouths, at least, profess that "scripture only" and to "prove anything if asked."

Not everyone is like that. But it's fairly common. You likely have more of Christendom that believes similarly but you won't ever hear from them for a variety of reasons, including that they don't want to be attacked. They may not be equipped to answer every question that might be put to them, but even you aren't able to answer every question put to you, and you have the benefit of an official bible education.

My model is up for debate, HOWEVER, mine isn't far from Christendom at large. Only a few from our camp, then cults believe as you do.
I'm not necessarily trying to talk you out of anything here, just give you perspective as well as give you feedback on a few of your thoughts here, that I and most of the rest of the Church believe are incorrect.

You haven't yet shown me how "Abraham was alive in Paradise" is compatible with Jesus proving the resurrection of the dead by "God is the God of the Living." If Abraham was in Paradise, he doesn't need to be raised for God to be the "God of the Living." Until and unless you manage to reconcile that, in a way that at least makes reasonable sense to someone such as myself (I try to be fair) please realize that your assumption isn't a settled point yet.

I was agreeing with a point you had made by the example. You had said:

You can come up with passages of your own, instead of Samuel/Saul. I was simply acquiescing the point, not trying to get off topic.

Sorry, I have trouble understanding what you mean with the super short responses sometimes.

Two assumptions: 1) that bodies lie in the ground dead, until resurrection as per your and a few Jews like the Sadducees believed.

Correction, and an important one. Sadducee did not believe that bodies lay in the ground dead until the resurrection. Sadducees denied that there was ANY resurrection. This is described as the dividing point between Pharisee and Sadducee.

Rather, "the dead lay silent in the dust until the resurrection" is what the Pharisees believed. No mention is made of a dispute between these factions as to the state of death, only whether the dead would be raised from death. Look at verses that you have already posted, it says as much.

Acts 23:6-8 KJV
(6) But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
(7) And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
(8) For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

Why do you say the Sadducees believed we were dead until the resurrection?

2) The orthodox view (and mine): Jesus corrected the Sadducees: "God of the Living, NOT the dead." Clearly Jesus said Abraham was alive at the time.

Which brings us back to Tyndale's question to Sir Thomas More. Any assumption that the dead were conscious means that Christ's answer does nothing to prove the resurrection. Given that Jesus said that this was to prove the resurrection, specifically and for no other purpose, and nothing else was said to offer proof, ergo his statement does NOT mean that the dead are alive, but requires that the dead are dead in every sense of the word.

Jesus corrected the Sadducees, but he corrected them about the resurrection, not anything else. Please, the text says exactly that!

Matthew 22:31-32 KJV
(31) But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
(32) I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Do you see where Jesus says "As touching the dead, that they live in Paradise..." or anything like that there? I don't. If you do, please point them out to me and underline or use color or something.

2 Timothy 2:15
Again, today 'orthodox' means "what the vast majority of us holds in common.' You might have had something of a point when Rome was the only one on the block.

Today's churches aren't that different from when they were officially under Rome. Some of the people changed, for a bit, a few of the customs, but the same base human attributes that brought corruption in the first case are still present and reassert themselves. Who was it that said that the tree of liberty must continually be refreshed with the blood of patriots? One attempt at reformation doesn't fix everything at once, and before you know it a new generation has entirely different objectives.

Unless it is 'logically' unassailable, but it'd have to be mutual as well. As far as 'orthodox' these are what the 'majority' (and VAST majority) believes is biblical.

I was hoping for a more enthusiastic commitment to "scripture only." Not tradition first, and interpreting all scripture in the light of that tradition. If one isn't willing to attempt to put aside preconceived ideas and let the scripture naturally build itself up in the order God gave them to us, and then compare the results, you will never have a fair comparison.

You say that "the majority of Christianity believes..." but Lon, how much of this "majority of Christianity" do you think has read the whole Bible at cover to cover (at least) maybe once? The first ECT quote in James Wallace list was from a person who said that the souls of the wicked are immortal.... yet scripture tells us that Jesus only hath immortality, and that immortality is only given as a gift to those who believe in Jesus Christ, something that the blessed saints in Christ only put on in the resurrection. Yet this so-called "Father" is accepted as Orthodox when he blatantly denies the scripture. Something is wrong with this picture...

Yes, I read it. Yes I saw that the first half could go either way. Did you keep reading? :think: That is the more important question

I had a "discussion" with Jim Wallace some years back about less-than-accurate posting of those lists. For example, he was listing Justin Martyr as being a proponent of "Eternal Conscious Torment" and "immortal souls." Most people believe those lists because they don't suspect someone will flat-out lie to them. For example, he had Justin Martyr in the middle of his list, who also has these clear statements in his writings:

"... why do we any longer endure those unbelieving and dangerous arguments, and fail to see that we are retrograding when we listen to such an argument as this: that the soul is immortal, but the body mortal... this we used to hear from Pythagoras and Plato, even before we learned the truth."

" ... and by whom God destroys both the serpent and those angels and men who are like him; but works deliverance from death those those who repent of their wickedness and believe in him..."

" the fire of judgment would descend and utterly dissolve all things, even as formerly the flood left no one but him only with his family who is by us called Noah..."

A good half of his list (the earlier half) was filled with bogus claims as to early Christian Fathers. Since I persisted on attempting to talk with him on it, he finally removed Justin Martyr only (who I was using as my prime example) and stopped responding. Point being, don't trust lists from James Wallace without first verifying the information yourself.

I didn't really care who the guy was, but rather the list of quotes. NewAdvent.org also had the same list.

It's not the person I care about either, but rather the dishonesty of those lists. More so about the unwillingness of the authors to make corrections when (presumed) mistakes or oversights are brought to their attention. I am reminded of how state-sponsored textbooks continue to use arguments and evidences that have been proved false or fake hoaxes, but their response is that they won't update the textbooks because they need to have some sort of evidence for evolution.

The link I gave were quotes. Simply citing a source isn't helpful, rather we'd want to read what each of them wrote rather than taking it from Dr. Roller's mouth.

You can ask him for a copy. He has materials he shares on request. Or ask me and I'll share the copy I got from him. But the list you gave incorrectly listed authors with annihilation language as ECT, without any mention of "immortal soul" or "torment without end" when he said that the result of eternal fire was "death."

... and this is getting longer. To be continued.

glorydaz

You keep assuming that Jesus was presenting a picture of the afterlife.

Nope, I'm just not "assuming" He was saying something other than what He said, in words that can be read by all.

And as per as "promoting a fable" he turned it inside out and on its head. If you wanted to take it seriously, Jews are tormented and Gentiles accepted by Abraham. That's not the way the fable was supposed to work, was it? Receive good things in this lifetime, and be punished later, receive bad things, and be rewarded later.

Uh, I don't see a thing about Jews and Gentiles there, but of sheep and goats of any nationality. It had nothing to do with being rich or poor, but in an attitude of the heart. The beggar was not greedy...he would have been content with crumbs. The rich man wouldn't even feed the "least of these". The Lord was showing, with the very picture, of what awaited both of those mentioned.

If you actually believe that the parable of Lazarus was not a parable and that that is the way things in, do you actually take that to heart? If so, consistent action to love your neighbor would be to inflict as much misery on them in this life as possible, that they might be lifted to Abraham's Bosom. Likewise you would want to give monetary gifts and enrich your enemies, knowing you'd get them in the end as fates were reversed.

That's truly silly. It's the HEART....it has nothing to do with money, but the LOVE of money (and greed and selfishness).

Think about it for a moment... I doubt you're being consistent in this aspect. When the actions required to mesh with professed belief become absurd or intuitively wrong, that's a sign that there's something else that might be wrong with the base assumptions.

Nope, I preach the Gospel to anyone that cares to hear. Then they can know that they will go to be with the Lord when they pass from this life. They will not have to stand before the great white throne, but will have entered eternal life.

Along that line of questioning (I have a similar style question depending on your answer) what do you believe happens to a child that dies three days after birth? Or even before birth? Of a believer that baptizes their child? Or doesn't baptize them yet? Or if the parents were infidels?

All children (from conception to the age of accountability) go to be with the Lord when they die.

Baptism has nothing to do with anything. One's parents have nothing to do with whether someone is saved or not....except for the fact that believers raise their children to know God compared to the infidels. God sees into the hearts of all men, and He alone will be able to judge rightly.

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
I'll discuss this more later...

I'll discuss this more later...

But it also says in revelation that there will be everlasting torment in the lake of fire where they are sent.

You won't like this reply... but it is intellectually honest... whereas the argument you and Way 2 Go are now employing is not. Honesty is more important than all human doctrines... so... I know this will be artificially rebutted and such... and note... I leave room for all scripture in these matters... but... blunt honesty applied...

aiónios: agelong, eternal
Original Word: αἰώνιος, ία, ιον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: aiónios
Phonetic Spelling: (ahee-o'-nee-os)
Short Definition: eternal, unending
Definition: age-long, and therefore: practically eternal, unending; partaking of the character of that which lasts for an age, as contrasted with that which is brief and fleeting.

thanatos: death
Original Word: θάνατος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: thanatos
Phonetic Spelling: (than'-at-os)
Short Definition: death
Definition: death, physical or spiritual.

apóleia: destruction, loss
Original Word: ἀπώλεια, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: apóleia
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-o'-li-a)
Short Definition: destruction, ruin, loss
Definition: destruction, ruin, loss, perishing; eternal ruin.

zóé: life
Original Word: ζωή, ῆς, ἡ
Transliteration: zóé
Phonetic Spelling: (dzo-ay')
Short Definition: life
Definition: life, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence.

So... um... Eternal ... yes... but Thanatos, Zoe, and apóleia ... NO.

It is a "choice" to teach that God will eternally torture those judged to be hopelessly wicked.

It is not contingent on eternal life.

Your argument is contingent on the word...
aiónios... And um... this word isn't Zoe, Thanatos or apoleia.

Zoe isn't Thanatos and apóleia ...

So... that is a false argument and goes back to the need to scour ALL scripture in this matter.

It is misleading to say "Eternal" is the issue here.

The issue is Zoe and Thanatos... also "apoleia"... NOT "Eternal/"aiónios"

This... whoever taught you this was being "dishonest" at worst... uninformed "at best"... doctrinally biased at the most accurate.

All respect... but sincere and honest rebuttal,

- EE

Keep in mind Moses said "this"... "Ex. 32:32 Now if You would only forgive their sin. But if not, please erase me from the book You have written.”

Mercy... Hosea 6:6 ...

Last edited:

glorydaz

Well, look who is alive when they are tossed in....

Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Then we see "death and hades" were cast in (second death). Those not found in the book of LIFE.

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.​

glorydaz

You won't like this reply... but it is intellectually honest... whereas the argument you and Way 2 Go are now employing is not. Honesty is more important than all human doctrines... so... I know this will be artificially rebutted and such... and note... I leave room for all scripture in these matters... but... blunt honesty applied...

aiónios: agelong, eternal
Original Word: αἰώνιος, ία, ιον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: aiónios
Phonetic Spelling: (ahee-o'-nee-os)
Short Definition: eternal, unending
Definition: age-long, and therefore: practically eternal, unending; partaking of the character of that which lasts for an age, as contrasted with that which is brief and fleeting.

thanatos: death
Original Word: θάνατος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: thanatos
Phonetic Spelling: (than'-at-os)
Short Definition: death
Definition: death, physical or spiritual.

apóleia: destruction, loss
Original Word: ἀπώλεια, ας, ἡ
Transliteration: apóleia
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-o'-li-a)
Short Definition: destruction, ruin, loss
Definition: destruction, ruin, loss, perishing; eternal ruin.

zóé: life
Original Word: ζωή, ῆς, ἡ
Transliteration: zóé
Phonetic Spelling: (dzo-ay')
Short Definition: life
Definition: life, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence.

So... um... Eternal ... yes... but Thanatos, Zoe, and apóleia ... NO.

It is a "choice" to teach that God will eternally torture those judges wicked.

It is not contingent on eternal life.

Your argument is contingent on the word...
aiónios... And um...

Zoe isn't Thanatos and apóleia ...

So... that is a false argument and goes back to the need to scour ALL scripture in this matter.

It is to say "Eternal" is the issue here.

The issue is Zoe and Thanatos... also "apoleia"... NOT "Eternal/"aiónios"

This... whoever taught you this was being "dishonest" at worst... uninformed "at best"... doctrinally biased at the most accurate.

All respect... but sincere and honest rebuttal,

- EE

You lost me right from the start. What is your point besides they don't know and you do?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Aionios Zoe.........

Aionios Zoe.........

This reasoning doesn't hold, since souls can truly 'die', and its apparently clear that souls who choose life can also "put on immortality". Some may disintegrate (perish), while others integrate themselves towards survival(life) into future ages by their union with God in the divine nature. "Aionion" is the adjective form of "aion," in the singular form and means "pertaining to an eon or age, an indeterminate period of time."

If Everlasting Punishment is not Eternal then how can Life be Eternal? (Matthew 25:46)

Remember, 'aion' pertains to an indefinite period or dispensation of time (an 'age'), it does equally connote what the English word 'eternal' or 'everlasting' means, hence the nuance of misconstrued implications.

Granted this miscorrelation, 'eternal punishment' does not necesesarily imply 'eternal torture in hellfire' either,...all this is merely read into the text. So all factors have to be considered here. Remember, those who do not accept God's offer of salvation and ultimately die in their state of embraced iniquity, reaching a point of no return, finally rejecting life...these ones PERISH. Yet those who accept the Son of God, these are given aionian life (life into the ages, enduring for an age). - So this understanding and what an 'aion' is, is essential to comprehend the entire context.

0----------------------0

46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'

-Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

“And these shall go away into age-abiding correction, But the righteous into age-abiding life.”

-Rotherham Emphasized Bible, 1959

0----------------------0

We are dealing with 'ages', 'epochs', 'dispensations', 'indefinite periods of time', but pertaining to an 'age' none-the-less.

Finally, those who do not attain to 'immortality' or become a partaker of the divine nature, do not have the condition, qualities or attribuets of immortality (divine nature), and those who wholly embrace iniquity and totally and finally reject 'God',.....are destroyed, disintegrated, dissolved, terminated, expunged from existence, absorbed back into the OverSoul of Creation, as all atoms, elements and energy returns to their primal SOURCE.

I find this view reasonable/logical within its own contextual frame, although other views and paradigms may have their place, as the relate or differ in some aspects. What is the condition of those who do NOT put on immortality? - what is the condition of those who DO put on immortality? Is there a noted difference? Well for one, those who have 'put it on',...can no longer die :) - those who have not, are still subject to the conditional nature of 'mortality' and may suffer thereby, to one degree or another, some kind of 'death', whether temporal (for an age) OR a more permanent death, such as the 'second death'. There are many layers to this onion ;)

Rosenritter

.. just continuing. I was reading through my copy of Dialogue with Trypho to find a specific quote and it took a while because I forgot how to use PDF word search...

As with prior, these kinds of assertions need links else it is 2nd and 3rd hand information. I 'can' look them up, but without direct quotes, it makes chatting on a forum a long arduous process.

On one hand I don't like going in this direction because I don't really consider the content of that relevant to myself. But it seems that a presumption of "orthodoxy" might interfere with scriptural interpretation so I pursue this aiming for a level playing field, so to speak. Will do my best to help give you proper context.

Imho, I've seen even you do this. At the very least, the link I provided gave direct quotation. While the link is 2nd hand information, the direct quotes, and my reason for linking, were not. I gave it because it was very simple to look at exactly what those ECF's said, and not simply a paraphrase or assertion of what they said.

It's from Dialogue with Trypho (of which I just referred to paging through) and I forgot how long it was. Was writing down interesting points until I found the specific quote...

One of his chapters is titled "The soul is not in its own nature immortal" (chapter V). Chapter VI speaks of the soul of man, saying "For to live is not its attribute, as it is God's; but as man does not live always, and the soul is not for ever conjoined with the body, since, whenever this harmony must be broken up, the soul leaves the body, and the man exists no longer; even so, whenever the soul must cease to exist, the spirit of life is removed from it, and there is no more soul, but it goes back to the place from whence it was taken." In chapter XXXVI he includes a proof that Christ is the Lord of Hosts, based on Psalm 24 with the assumption that Jesus is the only one who has ever ascended to heaven. Chapter C. "God destroys both the serpent and those angels and men who are like him: but work deliverance from death those who repent of their wickedness ..."

Seems I passed it in my skimming, it's back from Chapter LXXX

Then I answered, "I am not so miserable a fellow, Trypho, as to say one thing and think another. I admitted to you formerly, that I and many others are of this opinion, and [believe] that such will take place, as you assuredly are aware; but, on the other hand, I signified to you that many who belong to the pure and pious faith, and are true Christians, think otherwise. Moreover, I pointed out to you that some who are called Christians, but are godless, impious heretics, teach doctrines that are in every way blasphemous, atheistical, and foolish. But that you may know that I do not say this before you alone, I shall draw up a statement, so far as I can, of all the arguments which have passed between us; in which I shall record myself as admitting the very same things which I admit to you. For I choose to follow not men or men's doctrines, but God and the doctrines [delivered] by Him.

For if you have fallen in with some who are called Christians, but who do not admit this [truth], and venture to blaspheme the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob; who say there is no resurrection of the dead, and that their souls, when they die, are taken to heaven; do not imagine that they are Christians, even as one, if he would rightly consider it, would not admit that the Sadducees, or similar sects of Genistæ, Meristæ, Galilæans, Hellenists, Pharisees, Baptists, are Jews (do not hear me impatiently when I tell you what I think), but are [only] called Jews and children of Abraham, worshipping God with the lips, as God Himself declared, but the heart was far from Him. But I and others, who are right-minded Christians on all points, are assured that there will be a resurrection of the dead, and a thousand years in Jerusalem, which will then be built, adorned, and enlarged, [as] the prophets Ezekiel and Isaiah and others declare.

Regardless of anything else, this portion of the dialogue helps to establish that at the time of Justin Martyr, there were some who were beginning to say that their souls went to heaven when they died. As far as I know, this is the earliest such reference (albeit indirect). I am not aware of any Christian writer who said such a thing prior to this time. And notice that Justice declares them in the same sense as a rogue sect, or in other words, not orthodox Christians.

Notice that Justin also equates "go to heaven when you die" as a denial of the resurrection (in addition to blasphemy). If blasphemy seems like a strange charge, remember that when speaking to Trypho that it was Jesus and Jesus only that ascended to heaven, thus making him the LORD of Hosts in the 24th Psalm. Thus, placing anyone else in heaven presumes to be that LORD of Hosts. At least I think that was what was on his mind.

Anyway, point I was making is that if we went back to 120 years after Christ's death, if would rather be your opinion that was counted as heretical and unorthodox. As we get further and further away in time from the original source of our doctrine, it is more and more important that we be willing to reforge anything back from the source scripture.

None taken. I appreciate you giving your perspective. It helps, when we both know we aren't going to change the other, but are rather discussing strong and weak points. Discussion then, rather aids us in how we think about this topic, as well as draws us at least to understand where the other is coming from.

In Him -Lon

By the way, I don't necessarily agree with everything Justin says, but when I read as he talks to the Jew, he is filled with earnest enthusiasm. His heart seems to be right. I couldn't understand what he was saying to the Greeks because when he switched into Greek culture mode it was very disorientating. Justin does say some things that sound strange like seemingly conflicting references of eternal fire (and Henry Constable had a very good item that finally made sense of that) but he does serve to evidence that at least at the time of 120 years after Christ's death, "going to heaven when you die" was an unorthodox minority, and that "immortal souls" as in "soul exists without the body" was considered the mistake of Greek philosophy and a denial of the resurrection.

All of this, and my goal is really asking for "scripture only" as in "build up everything from scratch using only scripture from the beginning and not presumption of orthodoxy in current tradition." Surely that is a reasonable request?