Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Soul destiny.......

Soul destiny.......

That's a bit of a hopeful stretch, since it is love to judge righteously. Complete justice would be reaping what we've sown. Believers can escape justice by throwing themselves on the "mercy of the court" so to speak. Those whose conscience is so seared that they have become evil through and through need to be put down like the rabid dog they've become.

So infinite love considers some souls as falling to the level of rabid dogs to be "put down" (incinerated in the flames of gehenna, but never fully dying, kept in a conscious state of endless torment and suffering for all eternity)?
That is loving?

Now souls who have reached a state of no return, having fully embraced iniquity wholeheartedly, where sin has effected its harvest of destruction in the soul, reaching a final culmination of the payment of its wages in 'death' (disintegration, termination of individual conscious existence, destruction of personhood)....that is another matter. This would be the second death, from which there is no resurrection.

ECT (past discussion catalog)

A true Father considers the eternal value and potential of his children, and does all to foster, supply and facilitate their well-being, happiness and prosperity. Only IF a soul has truly exhausted all its opportunities to fulfill its purpose of being and wholeheartedly embraced iniquity for itself thus reaping death for itself, could it terminate its life-potential and opportunity of living into the ages, or immortality. These souls DIE in the final and ultimate sense, the spiritual and material elements of these personalities return to Source. (Note this 'death' is permanent destruction of the personal existence, NOT a living soul in some state of conscious misery, gloom, suffering or pain, gridlocked in that condition for all eternity permanently).

Besides the canonical scriptures, we have a vast library of spiritual teachings from spirits themselves in the Spiritualist schools which more often support continued conscious existence after physical death, so we have a broader more replete treasury of information to research and consider on the topic.

Love's will does not change, while universal laws govern soul progress, evolution and destiny. The debate is in the 'terms' and 'details'.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Soul Voyaging........

Soul Voyaging........

Spoiler
Some points/questions please?

1) I have seen no biblical evidence that the Pharisees believed that anyone was conscious after death. Scripture itself says no such thing. Would you please share what source you are using for this assumption? The reason I am asking is because I suspect this is one of those things that is oft repeated without being checked. Source, please? If you think you have a scripture, read it carefully first please.

2) Other than my question above, our question has nothing to do with Pharisee or Sadducee. Let's try to avoid red herrings.

3) There is a difference in something being hidden, compared to flat-out contradicting what was already given by God through the holy scripture. Consider also Amos 3:7, "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." It is also written that God "cannot lie" (Titus 1:2) and that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine..." The "scripture" that they are talking about specifically includes the Old Testament.

4) Did you read that excerpt from "Discourse to the Greeks" where Josephus describes what he believes hell is like? The details he gives are far too elaborate and descriptive making it clearly obvious that the source is not scripture. What he says certainly isn't from the gospel, so where does he get his information from? Besides this, his description actually conflicts with Jesus's parable of Lazarus and the rich man in a few places. Do you suppose that it might be wise to consider that Jewish traditions and/or folklore might not always be on target?

Titus 1:14 KJV
(14) Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

If there was no such thing as Jewish fables, why would there me a mention like this in Titus?

5) There is nothing extreme in saying that contrasting Jewish fable with Greek fable makes a good setting for the parable on hand. May I also point out that "Lazarus and the rich man" is spoken in the same style as parables, introduced in the same fashion as other parables, surrounded by other parables, and that there is no indication from Jesus that this is anything but another parable? To me, an attempt to dismiss this one story as "not a parable" seems more desperate.

ECT theologians usually acknowledge the story as parable, but seeing as this passage provides about 40% of the argument for all ECT arguments, instead affirm that even if it is a parable, it must be meant to teach eternal conscious torment. But they allow it status among the rest of the parables.

6) If one reads the Bible from Genesis onward in canonical order, you will find many and numerous bits that describe death as the absence of consciousness. God introduces the subject himself in Genesis, when he plainly spells out for Adam what will happen when he dies - he came from the dust, and shall return to the dust. What you won't find is anything (either before or after) the parable of Lazarus to give weight that it is an real actual setting. To make such an assumption you'd have to set aside all the previous scripture (and some of what comes after as well.)

So yes, it would be an entirely new doctrine and/or revelation.

7) I am a bit confused as to your list of scriptures here. Of the five, I don't know why you gave four of them, and the fifth we already reviewed.

Job 19:25-27 ... does nothing for your point. Job prophesies the resurrection of the dead and that God himself will stand on the earth.
Psalm 49:12,20 ... man perishes in the same fashion as the beasts. Unless we assume all dogs go to heaven, I'm not sure why you gave this.
Psalm 73:24 ... What does "Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory" have to do with the state of death?
Psalm 16:10 "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption"

Lon, I really don't know what you are thinking here. There's nothing in any of those passages to suggest death is anything other that the cessation of thought, love, hatred, envy, and being.

1 Samuel 28:15 "The ghost of Samuel" passage. There's two aspects here. First, respected theologians from many different angles agree this was not Samuel, but a devil. This is as easy to find as Wikipedia:

If you read the King Jame's Daemonologie, the topic is discussed by the characters there, and this dialogue also agrees that "Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light" and that an apparition summoned through necromancy is a fake, and that the souls of the dead lie in rest until the resurrection.

Aside from that, even if you were to believe the witch and the apparition, Samuel doesn't say he came from a place of bliss and happiness like the "Abraham's bosom", the spirit says "Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?" "Disquieted" means that he was quiet, and now is no longer. So even if a witch could bring up the souls of the dead, the spirit itself said its former state was "quiet"

So I'm not sure where you were going with these. Can you offer explanation?

8) Can you also please explain what you mean by this, below? Did you mean a different passage? Because Job's prophecy of the resurrection and Christ's return hardly is at odds with my hermeneutic.

Just in case we have different translation, here's what my bible says:
Spoiler
Job 19:25-27 KJV(25) For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
(26) And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
(27) Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Job also says quite a few other things about the state of death - if we are looking at Job, are we allowed to consider the rest of what Job himself says? Because back when I did the Genesis forward copy-down-all-death-reference study, the book of Job was a gold mine.

9) Someone can "read" without being much of a "reader." Paul was a writer, Apollos was a speaker. No need for astonished blue face emotes.

10) Your argument for the validity of "orthodox" as a measure might be more persuasive had the orthodox side not taken to persecuting and/or killing their opponents that disagreed with them on this topic. Regardless, it is written that a man cannot have two masters. Either we agree that the scripture alone is our source of doctrine, or that tradition decides what we believe. We can't pick both, or we will favor one over the other.

So this may feel like I am pressing you, but I am hoping you can confirm that "scripture only" is our accepted and agreed upon standard.

11) Would you do me a favor, and take a close look at the "ECT Fathers" link you just provided? This is one of the typical examples of irresponsible ECT propaganda. It's plainly inaccurate and attempts to claim anyone and everyone, regardless of whether the claim has merit. For example, let's pull up the first on on the list, with the quote from Ignatius of Antioh 110 AD (you posted this so please read carefully):

Did you see that? The result of departing into unquenchable fire is to suffer death. There's nothing about eternal conscious torment or being conscious while dead in that passage, yet "Please Convince Me" Jim Wallace (I have actually talked with him before) attempts to claim him as "Eternal Conscious Torment" support. He does this because he needs people from that time period.

When you place a person into a fire and quench the fire, you might save some of the dead body from being consumed. If you do not quench the fire, they will be completely burnt up.

Lon, speaking frankly, pulling up a link from Jim Wallace (of all people) and using that as evidence that "the early fathers were eternal conscious torment" when it is clearly insufficient on its face, without having asked to compare the doctorate research paper I mentioned... . You need to look carefully at what you present to make sure it's being above board.

Here's a list of earlier fathers (earlier than Tertullian and Clement of Alexandria) that were not "Immortal soul" or "Eternal conscious torment"
Spoiler

Clement of Rome
Writer(s) of Odes of Solomon
Ignatius of Antioch
Polycarp of Smyrna
Papias of Hierapolis
Writer(s) of Didache
Quadratus of Athens
“Mathetes”
Clement of Corinth
Barnabas of Alexandria
Aristides of Athens
Hermas of Rome
Justin of Samaria
Tatian of Assyria
Theophilus of Antioch
Melito of Sardis

source: "The Doctrine of Immortality in the Early Church, by Dr. John H. Roller

The aforementioned Henry Constable essays also has his own research with similar agreement (one of them did, I saw the chart again today). Eternal Conscious Torment and "immortal souls" creep into the writings with Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian.

Now I will grant that the idea may have been setting in before then, as evidenced by Justin's warning to the Jew that there there might be some who called themselves Christian, but blaspheming against the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, by saying their souls went to heaven when they died.... because there must have been some like that for Justin to make such a comment. Justin said "call them not Christian" as they were a minority sect outside of proper orthodox Christianity.

(The definition of orthodox changes with the times, Lon)

Anyway, moral of the story Lon, make sure to look carefully at what someone "claims" is support for ECT before passing it on as proof. The support attempts for ECT are often less than fair or objective in their zeal.

If I seem a bit frustrated it's because I've seen this all too many times. Someone sees the word "fire" or "unquenchable" and claims it's proof someone believed that people burned without end while conscious. It's like they get so excited at the prospect of support that they no longer critically analyze the material.

No offense meant, honest.

Spoiler

I don't believe a study of Sheol alone, sufficient. There needs to be an awareness of other scriptures. In some ways, to me, it seems we are reinventing the wheel of debate between the Pharisees and Sadducees, over this same topic. The Sadducees were convinced that the dirt was the end (Sheol) from the scriptures. The Pharisees believed, from the scriptures, that there was consciousness after death (Sheol).
I don't believe it is consistent, at least it isn't to me:
Job 19:25-27 Psalm 49:12,20 Psalm 73:24 Psalm 16:10 1 Samuel 28:15
Hi Rosen,

So far in my history of sharing here, I've leaned more towards 'conditional immortality' over ECT, and sometimes towards universalism :) - there are also points of view within each category and sometimes crossovers. In a more liberal context I draw from the entire library (collective) also of Spiritualist Philosophy and spirit-communications, and modern day psychical research, mediumship, afterlife/NDE studies, etc....I believe all must be considered, even though this particular thread is seeking to determine if ECT is 'biblical' or not, but as I've shared, this term or determiniation is arbritary for the most part because anyone can deem anything 'biblical', and that doesn't always mean much because so many passages are open to 'interpretation', let along 'translation' issues. At best 'biblical' means whatever one deems to be within the 'biblical-canon' of only 66 books, standardized by 'tradition'. And they are still arguing overing semantics. - this extends right into our definitions in their full metaphysical dimensions of 'denominations' of 'life' or 'death', and then what each language brings to the 'fore' concerning each particular term, further 'coordinated' within any given 'context'.

In the full multi-dimensional context of the soul and its 'eternal progression', 'immortality-potential', 'ultimate destiny',...the Bible only offers its own limited terms, meanings and implications, and even still, you have so many different opinions, beliefs and assumptions about this or that. You open to the whole library of human experience, religious knowledge, psychical research, etc, and you expand your horizons, which helps temper against becoming dogmatic about a particular interpretation or translation, then assuming that it alone is 'right/correct' (orthodox). In my own research there is still much open to 'speculation' and some things you just don't know (and must accept an 'agnostic' position on). My limited finite brain can only access or 'interface' so much given my conditional existence, even though I may have a fragment of the infinite Deity indwelling my mind, a deposit or trust given by the Creator, which my personality can fuse with, if I should so choose life, and thereby 'put on immortality'.

All that is going on here is an adventure or exploration in consciousness anyways,...we are just individual units of consciousness having a human experience in space-time,....whether our own individual identity/personality continues on, is subject to so many possibilities and assumptions, but no matter your view, if 'God' or the Creator and His laws that govern the ultimatums of life and death are universally consistent, then it would be upon the working of those cosmic laws and our own free will that ultimately determines individual destiny by what kinds of seeds of thoughts, words and actions we engage in (karma).

In that continuum-context....we are co-creators of our own destiny always, even as we 'choose', 'believe' and 'intend'....so it will be to us (law of faith). I trust the universal reality, the Absolute itself, and the laws which uphold all relative reality, all conditional existence. That Absolute never changes its essential nature and essence, but all else is subject to change, modification, conditioning (evolution, birth, death, rebirth).

Rosenritter

It seems that Freelight would understand how a loving God could "put down" rebellious creations in the same sense that we might have to put down vicious animal without needing to inflict unnecessary cruelty. What he doesn't understand is for what purpose a loving God would inflict senseless torment when it has no potential for any positive purpose.

Given that we are charged to "preach the gospel" to the whole world, and Peter has told us that we need to be "ready always to answer" the questions put to us, this does put the burden of evidence upon those that claim the bible teaches Eternal Conscious Torment to be able to answer this moral dilemma in a way that makes sense.

Saying "that's the way it is because God is and he has power so that he can do what he wants and therefore it must be good" doesn't sound like persuasive preaching. Yet I think that's what I've heard so far, if you don't count Pastor Buddy's "I would need to see people constantly tortured to keep myself obedient to God for eternity."

By the way... when she was younger, my wife asked similar questions of her pastor, but she was never given an answer that made any sense. It's not just Freelight who notices this.

So infinite love considers some souls as falling to the level of rabid dogs to be "put down" (incinerated in the flames of gehenna, but never fully dying, kept in a conscious state of endless torment and suffering for all eternity)?
That is loving?

Now souls who have reached a state of no return, having fully embraced iniquity wholeheartedly, where sin has effected its harvest of destruction in the soul, reaching a final culmination of the payment of its wages in 'death' (disintegration, termination of individual conscious existence, destruction of personhood)....that is another matter. This would be the second death, from which there is no resurrection.

ECT (past discussion catalog)

A true Father considers the eternal value and potential of his children, and does all to foster, supply and facilitate their well-being, happiness and prosperity. Only IF a soul has truly exhausted all its opportunities to fulfill its purpose of being and wholeheartedly embraced iniquity for itself thus reaping death for itself, could it terminate its life-potential and opportunity of living into the ages, or immortality. These souls DIE in the final and ultimate sense, the spiritual and material elements of these personalities return to Source. (Note this 'death' is permanent destruction of the personal existence, NOT a living soul in some state of conscious misery, gloom, suffering or pain, gridlocked in that condition for all eternity permanently).

Besides the canonical scriptures, we have a vast library of spiritual teachings from spirits themselves in the Spiritualist schools which more often support continued conscious existence after physical death, so we have a broader more replete treasury of information to research and consider on the topic.

Love's will does not change, while universal laws govern soul progress, evolution and destiny. The debate is in the 'terms' and 'details'.

way 2 go

I see a little room for something.....in that it was before the Lord's resurrection.

sure , but the annihilation person must take baby steps , by first understanding
Jesus spoke the truth of what exist .
It may even be the position of the sheep and goats until the final judgment. The two seemed to be separated according do their deeds rather than their beliefs. :idunno:

there is a lot to be gleaned from what Jesus said one being "they will not be persuaded, even though one rose from the dead."

Luk 16:28 for I have five brothers, so that he may testify to them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
Luk 16:29 Abraham said to him, They have Moses and the Prophets, let them hear them.
Luk 16:30 And he said, No, father Abraham, but if one should go to them from the dead, they would repent.
Luk 16:31 And he said to him, If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded, even though one rose from the dead.

Last edited:

way 2 go

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by patrick jane

You believe in a left wing snowflake God

Not quite,...but a God of true integrity, whose administration of justice and mercy is perfectly governed by divine love and wisdom.

Consider the constitution of such a Heavenly Father whose will is for the good, well-being and prosperity of his children.

an amalgam god from all your pagan gods is not the real one

Joh_14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me.

glorydaz

That is loving?

Yes, if you don't want the rabid dog wreaking havoc on the rest of mankind.

glorydaz

With language like "put down like ... a rabid dog" you sound like you've adopted Annihilation (or at least understand it.)

2 Peter 2:11-12 KJV
(11) Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
(12) But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

I see both sides of this issue. I also see other possibilities that include combinations of the two.

I've adopted none of them. :)

glorydaz

Obviously Jesus is referencing things that are recognized by his audience. Greek folklore and Jewish fable are things that exist with known settings. Of course Jesus didn't have to make these up. If he was making up something new, then they might get confused. But then again, Jesus did say that parables cloaked understanding, so they would not understand, did he not?

Matthew 13:10-14 KJV
(10) And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
(11) He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
(12) For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
(13) Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
(14) And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

I think Jesus said that. Do you agree Glorydaz?

If someone in the audience preferred folklore and fable over that which was already revealed by Moses and the prophets, and they get confused... Jesus says that's fine, let their understanding be taken away.

No, I don't agree. Jesus would never present a false picture of the afterlife. Not only would it be a lie, but it would be totally impossible for Him to do so....because it would be a lit. Promoting a fable? No never.

Lon

Some points/questions please?

1) I have seen no biblical evidence that the Pharisees believed that anyone was conscious after death. Scripture itself says no such thing. Would you please share what source you are using for this assumption? The reason I am asking is because I suspect this is one of those things that is oft repeated without being checked. Source, please? If you think you have a scripture, read it carefully first please.
Acts 23:6-8 Matthew 22:23-46 Mark 12:18-27 Luke 20:27-38
2) Other than my question above, our question has nothing to do with Pharisee or Sadducee. Let's try to avoid red herrings.
"If" it has to do with your first objection, and it does, then it cannot be a red herring...
3) There is a difference in something being hidden, compared to flat-out contradicting what was already given by God through the holy scripture. Consider also Amos 3:7, "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." It is also written that God "cannot lie" (Titus 1:2) and that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine..." The "scripture" that they are talking about specifically includes the Old Testament.
Agreed. I believe the ONLY contradiction is in your construct understanding, than in the scriptures themselves.

4) Did you read that excerpt from "Discourse to the Greeks" where Josephus describes what he believes hell is like? The details he gives are far too elaborate and descriptive making it clearly obvious that the source is not scripture. What he says certainly isn't from the gospel, so where does he get his information from? Besides this, his description actually conflicts with Jesus's parable of Lazarus and the rich man in a few places. Do you suppose that it might be wise to consider that Jewish traditions and/or folklore might not always be on target?
Hippolytus more likely.
Titus 1:14 KJV
(14) Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
If there was no such thing as Jewish fables, why would there me a mention like this in Titus?
It doesn't apply. The Lord Jesus Christ gave Luke 16:19-31

5) There is nothing extreme in saying that contrasting Jewish fable with Greek fable makes a good setting for the parable on hand. May I also point out that "Lazarus and the rich man" is spoken in the same style as parables, introduced in the same fashion as other parables, surrounded by other parables, and that there is no indication from Jesus that this is anything but another parable? To me, an attempt to dismiss this one story as "not a parable" seems more desperate.
I didn't dismiss it. In fact, I said if it were a parable, it makes the problem worse, if it were to the Pharisees, He is warning them of ECT.

ECT theologians usually acknowledge the story as parable, but seeing as this passage provides about 40% of the argument for all ECT arguments, instead affirm that even if it is a parable, it must be meant to teach eternal conscious torment. But they allow it status among the rest of the parables.
:nono: No such acknowledgement exists. Rather, they acknowledge it has some things in common with parables, but a lot of differences as well.
Again, if a parable, to me, it makes it doubly problematic.
6) If one reads the Bible from Genesis onward in canonical order, you will find many and numerous bits that describe death as the absence of consciousness. God introduces the subject himself in Genesis, when he plainly spells out for Adam what will happen when he dies - he came from the dust, and shall return to the dust. What you won't find is anything (either before or after) the parable of Lazarus to give weight that it is an real actual setting. To make such an assumption you'd have to set aside all the previous scripture (and some of what comes after as well.)

So yes, it would be an entirely new doctrine and/or revelation.
My model is up for debate, HOWEVER, mine isn't far from Christendom at large. Only a few from our camp, then cults believe as you do.
I'm not necessarily trying to talk you out of anything here, just give you perspective as well as give you feedback on a few of your thoughts here, that I and most of the rest of the Church believe are incorrect.

7) I am a bit confused as to your list of scriptures here. Of the five, I don't know why you gave four of them, and the fifth we already reviewed.

Job 19:25-27 ... does nothing for your point. Job prophesies the resurrection of the dead and that God himself will stand on the earth.
Psalm 49:12,20 ... man perishes in the same fashion as the beasts. Unless we assume all dogs go to heaven, I'm not sure why you gave this.
Psalm 73:24 ... What does "Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory" have to do with the state of death?
Psalm 16:10 "For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption"

Lon, I really don't know what you are thinking here. There's nothing in any of those passages to suggest death is anything other that the cessation of thought, love, hatred, envy, and being.
Again, our assumptions have us understanding something completely different. When Pharisees and Sadducees argued over the same scriptures, of course you and I are going to argue as well. The Lord Jesus Christ said "He is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Abraham was in Paradise, by such reckoning. It is scriptural and why the majority of us believe differently than you do. Some Catholics believe as you do, but Augustine argued against it. Those Soul-sleep Catholics are remiss in their history, I believe.

1 Samuel 28:15 "The ghost of Samuel" passage. There's two aspects here. First, respected theologians from many different angles agree this was not Samuel, but a devil. This is as easy to find as Wikipedia:

If you read the King Jame's Daemonologie, the topic is discussed by the characters there, and this dialogue also agrees that "Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light" and that an apparition summoned through necromancy is a fake, and that the souls of the dead lie in rest until the resurrection.

Aside from that, even if you were to believe the witch and the apparition, Samuel doesn't say he came from a place of bliss and happiness like the "Abraham's bosom", the spirit says "Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?" "Disquieted" means that he was quiet, and now is no longer. So even if a witch could bring up the souls of the dead, the spirit itself said its former state was "quiet"
I was agreeing with a point you had made by the example. You had said:
10. Do you disagree that the people of Christ's day would have heard of stories where people went to hell and back? Or do you disagree that the Jewish prophets of scripture spoke of death and hell as nothingness? Or do you disagree that they were inspired? You said you disagree. With which part?
You can come up with passages of your own, instead of Samuel/Saul. I was simply acquiescing the point, not trying to get off topic.
So I'm not sure where you were going with these. Can you offer explanation?
Two assumptions: 1) that bodies lie in the ground dead, until resurrection as per your and a few Jews like the Sadducees believed.
2) The orthodox view (and mine): Jesus corrected the Sadducees: "God of the Living, NOT the dead." Clearly Jesus said Abraham was alive at the time.
8) Can you also please explain what you mean by this, below? Did you mean a different passage? Because Job's prophecy of the resurrection and Christ's return hardly is at odds with my hermeneutic.
We bring our own perceptions to passages, therefore we see specific verses supporting what we believe. Acts 23:6-8 Matthew 22:23-46 Mark 12:18-27 Luke 20:27-38

Just in case we have different translation, here's what my bible says:
Spoiler
Job 19:25-27 KJV(25) For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
(26) And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
(27) Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

Job also says quite a few other things about the state of death - if we are looking at Job, are we allowed to consider the rest of what Job himself says? Because back when I did the Genesis forward copy-down-all-death-reference study, the book of Job was a gold mine.

9) Someone can "read" without being much of a "reader." Paul was a writer, Apollos was a speaker. No need for astonished blue face emotes.
2 Timothy 2:15
10) Your argument for the validity of "orthodox" as a measure might be more persuasive had the orthodox side not taken to persecuting and/or killing their opponents that disagreed with them on this topic. Regardless, it is written that a man cannot have two masters. Either we agree that the scripture alone is our source of doctrine, or that tradition decides what we believe. We can't pick both, or we will favor one over the other.
Again, today 'orthodox' means "what the vast majority of us holds in common.' You might have had something of a point when Rome was the only one on the block.

So this may feel like I am pressing you, but I am hoping you can confirm that "scripture only" is our accepted and agreed upon standard.
Unless it is 'logically' unassailable, but it'd have to be mutual as well. As far as 'orthodox' these are what the 'majority' (and VAST majority) believes is biblical.

11) Would you do me a favor, and take a close look at the "ECT Fathers" link you just provided? This is one of the typical examples of irresponsible ECT propaganda. It's plainly inaccurate and attempts to claim anyone and everyone, regardless of whether the claim has merit. For example, let's pull up the first on on the list, with the quote from Ignatius of Antioh 110 AD (you posted this so please read carefully):Did you see that? The result of departing into unquenchable fire is to suffer death. There's nothing about eternal conscious torment or being conscious while dead in that passage, yet "Please Convince Me" Jim Wallace (I have actually talked with him before) attempts to claim him as "Eternal Conscious Torment" support. He does this because he needs people from that time period.

When you place a person into a fire and quench the fire, you might save some of the dead body from being consumed. If you do not quench the fire, they will be completely burnt up.
Yes, I read it. Yes I saw that the first half could go either way. Did you keep reading? :think: That is the more important question.

Lon, speaking frankly, pulling up a link from Jim Wallace (of all people) and using that as evidence that "the early fathers were eternal conscious torment" when it is clearly insufficient on its face, without having asked to compare the doctorate research paper I mentioned... . You need to look carefully at what you present to make sure it's being above board.
I didn't really care who the guy was, but rather the list of quotes. NewAdvent.org also had the same list.

Here's a list of earlier fathers (earlier than Tertullian and Clement of Alexandria) that were not "Immortal soul" or "Eternal conscious torment"
Spoiler

Clement of Rome
Writer(s) of Odes of Solomon
Ignatius of Antioch
Polycarp of Smyrna
Papias of Hierapolis
Writer(s) of Didache
Quadratus of Athens
“Mathetes”
Clement of Corinth
Barnabas of Alexandria
Aristides of Athens
Hermas of Rome
Justin of Samaria
Tatian of Assyria
Theophilus of Antioch
Melito of Sardis

source: "The Doctrine of Immortality in the Early Church, by Dr. John H. Roller
The link I gave were quotes. Simply citing a source isn't helpful, rather we'd want to read what each of them wrote rather than taking it from Dr. Roller's mouth.

The aforementioned Henry Constable essays also has his own research with similar agreement (one of them did, I saw the chart again today). Eternal Conscious Torment and "immortal souls" creep into the writings with Clement of Alexandria and Tertullian.

Now I will grant that the idea may have been setting in before then, as evidenced by Justin's warning to the Jew that there there might be some who called themselves Christian, but blaspheming against the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, by saying their souls went to heaven when they died.... because there must have been some like that for Justin to make such a comment. Justin said "call them not Christian" as they were a minority sect outside of proper orthodox Christianity.

(The definition of orthodox changes with the times, Lon)
As with prior, these kinds of assertions need links else it is 2nd and 3rd hand information. I 'can' look them up, but without direct quotes, it makes chatting on a forum a long arduous process.

Anyway, moral of the story Lon, make sure to look carefully at what someone "claims" is support for ECT before passing it on as proof. The support attempts for ECT are often less than fair or objective in their zeal.
Imho, I've seen even you do this. At the very least, the link I provided gave direct quotation. While the link is 2nd hand information, the direct quotes, and my reason for linking, were not. I gave it because it was very simple to look at exactly what those ECF's said, and not simply a paraphrase or assertion of what they said.

If I seem a bit frustrated it's because I've seen this all too many times. Someone sees the word "fire" or "unquenchable" and claims it's proof someone believed that people burned without end while conscious. It's like they get so excited at the prospect of support that they no longer critically analyze the material.

No offense meant, honest.
None taken. I appreciate you giving your perspective. It helps, when we both know we aren't going to change the other, but are rather discussing strong and weak points. Discussion then, rather aids us in how we think about this topic, as well as draws us at least to understand where the other is coming from.

In Him -Lon

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I see both sides of this issue. I also see other possibilities that include combinations of the two.

I've adopted none of them. :)

Great to see you keep an "open mind", and continue to consider all possible or probable points of view :thumb:

No matter.....if God is truly DIVINE, and has all the character 'God' is supposed to have, his ministry of justice and mercy is wholly trustworthy, and only He could render to each "according to their deeds", knowing the heart and soul of each individual and rendering to them their true compensations, but always is His eternal love and mercy forebearing all souls, willing that all be saved, all being given the opportunity to fulfill their purpose for being, which opens the field of experience to the full potential/possibilities of both 'life' and 'death'.

Rosenritter

I have yet to find two of these "I came back from the dead" stories that don't contradict both with themselves and the scripture. But tell me, how do you choose which personal stories to believe in? I know people who have personal stories of past life experiences. Do you just choose the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't like? Sort of like the Old Age Evolutionists do with the radioactive dating, they keep the 2% of the dates the like and ignore all the rest?

here is someone that died and came back

http://www.metaxastalk.com/podcast/thursday-march-30-2017/

Mickey Robinson author of Falling Into Heaven: A Skydiver's Gripping Account of Heaven, Healings and Miracles.

Rosenritter

You keep assuming that Jesus was presenting a picture of the afterlife. And as per as "promoting a fable" he turned it inside out and on its head. If you wanted to take it seriously, Jews are tormented and Gentiles accepted by Abraham. That's not the way the fable was supposed to work, was it? Receive good things in this lifetime, and be punished later, receive bad things, and be rewarded later.

If you actually believe that the parable of Lazarus was not a parable and that that is the way things in, do you actually take that to heart? If so, consistent action to love your neighbor would be to inflict as much misery on them in this life as possible, that they might be lifted to Abraham's Bosom. Likewise you would want to give monetary gifts and enrich your enemies, knowing you'd get them in the end as fates were reversed.

Think about it for a moment... I doubt you're being consistent in this aspect. When the actions required to mesh with professed belief become absurd or intuitively wrong, that's a sign that there's something else that might be wrong with the base assumptions.

Along that line of questioning (I have a similar style question depending on your answer) what do you believe happens to a child that dies three days after birth? Or even before birth? Of a believer that baptizes their child? Or doesn't baptize them yet? Or if the parents were infidels?

No, I don't agree. Jesus would never present a false picture of the afterlife. Not only would it be a lie, but it would be totally impossible for Him to do so....because it would be a lit. Promoting a fable? No never.

Rosenritter

We do have people that came back from death. The child of the widow that the prophet raised. The daughter of Jarius. Lazarus. A man that Paul raised that fell from the rafters. Yet the scripture doesn't record any testimonies from them that "this and that happened while I was dead." Their silence on the subject is unanimous.

I didn't listen to that, but we know Lazarus died and was called forth from the grave. He heard the Lord say "Come forth" and he did.

way 2 go

I have yet to find two of these "I came back from the dead" stories that don't contradict both with themselves and the scripture. But tell me, how do you choose which personal stories to believe in? I know people who have personal stories of past life experiences. Do you just choose the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't like? Sort of like the Old Age Evolutionists do with the radioactive dating, they keep the 2% of the dates the like and ignore all the rest?

I believe Jesus , he came back from the dead .

I also believe

Luk 16:22 And it happened that the beggar died and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom. The rich one also died and was buried.
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame.