Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Caino

BANNED
Banned
If God tormented people in a hell for eternity for not trusting in his goodness, perhaps with enough time he would prove his goodness through that torment, confess their sins, and be saved. Psalms 51:17 does say "the sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise." Are you saying that you don't think that an eternity of torment would eventually persuade those that did not believe that God is love?

1 John 4:16 KJV
(16) And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

... !?

Did you just say "perhaps with enough time he would prove his goodness through that torment, confess their sins"????

Sin is to choose mans way over Gods. Torture, burning is cruel, it is mans way not Gods.

Prove goodness through torture???? :jawdrop::doh:

God proves his goodness by exhausting every avenue of mercy and forgiveness. There was even a time delay in offering redemption to Lucifer and those who followed him. Evil only exists as it is the shadow of Gods goodness.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Genesis 3:1 "...did God really say...?" :think:

:doh: And you take comfort in that? That you are stubborn enough to question God??? :doh:
Ezekiel 18:23 Ezekiel 33:11 yet Matthew 25:46

Mark 9:47 You hate the Lord Jesus Christ.

Mark 12:27
You seek to usurp God and have us worship you and your righteousness over and above His.
You are better than God by your own beliefs. Sad stuff, always, Caino. You are your own grandpa and your own god. :(

I'm not questioning God at all, I question the speculation and conjecture of the culturally biased Holy men who wrote the scripture and then convinced the people that God actually wrote them! What I hate is inconsistency and untruth. You hate what I have to say not because it's so untrue but because you know it's true and that angers you.

Maybe one day Lon you will see the light and have the courage to defend the character of the Heavenly Father who we can see in the life of Christ and know in spirit. You are only insulting your own integrity and sense of justice in dragging yourself down and into the dim and distant past to make excuses for such a dysfunctional afterlife deity concept.

The entire idea of an Absolute creating Finite children, allowing an evil invisible superior Satan creature to mislead them, even partnering with evil to trick them for some sort of testing followed by the outrageous eternal condemnation in Hell fire, that's not a Loving Father at all! How do I know? Because I am a child of I AM, I have the innate ability to recognize a moral outrage when I see it!!!! My religion does not conflate faith with denying my own God given sensibilities.

Sin contains within it the seeds of it's own destruction. When one completely identifies with sin there is no place for them to go in Gods creation. In a spiritual sense they are "unreal". There is "no truth in them", they are unsalvageable. The function of correcting and suffering is of no further value. The judgment and by their own choice is cessation of existence. The idea that God would resurrect them from the dead for the meaningless purpose of eternal torture is a hateful accusation against the Heavenly Father. No such God exists.

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
God is not torturing anyone , He is the judge

Joh_3:19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

Mat 13:41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers,
Mat 13:42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 13:43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Mat_25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

I don't think Jesus was always remembered word for word perfectly which is understandable. Perhaps latter scribes who believed in Hell fire and torture thought they would fix it????

This is how I believe that conversation went:

"In the great day of the kingdom judgment, many will say to me, `Did we not prophesy in your name and by your name do many wonderful works?' But I will be compelled to say to them, `I never knew you; depart from me you who are false teachers.' But every one who hears this charge and sincerely executes his commission to represent me before men even as I have represented my Father to you, shall find an abundant entrance into my service and into the kingdom of the heavenly Father." UB 1955

Zeke

You don't even believe there is a "Jesus" :noway:

Christ in you the mystery that is still a mystery to you! How many times have I posted Luke 17:20-21 along with 1Cor 3:16 you be lie eve a Roman lie not realizing you are that divine seed portrayed by Jesus who was Spirit the innerman that Romans 7 explains was in man like many other hints like Galatians 4:1-28, but you only get that through revelation Lon Galatians 1:12, until then you will be a worldly educated son of Hagar who kills the message 2Cor 3:6 cloud watching "persona" looking for an outward savior Matt 11:11 babylon still in the traditional crib.

Rosenritter

1. Saul persecuted Christ by hunting and slaying the saints, and he didn't apologize right away either. I'm not in agreement with Tertullian and Augusting and Calvin that persecution of heretics is the will of God and beneficial for the church. If we use Christ's example, he ate and socialized with known sinners, publicans, and samaritans. Who needs the physician, the well or the unwell? If Caino starts to use scriptural authority, we should encourage him at that point (to do otherwise would seem hypocritical.)

2. You have started to contradict yourself. You yourself posted passage references, supposedly for Caino to read in your response to himthat state in that so many words that the soul is subject to death. Death, in any normal use of the word, means the cessation of life. I can probably find a contextual passage or two in the canon that also proves the dictionary definition, if need be.

How can you possibly say that death is not the cessation of life? That is the most fundamental basic meaning of the word! See 1 Kings 21:15, "not alive, but dead." You can make anything say anything if you selectively reverse the meanings of key words!

Ezekiel 18:20-23 KJV
(20) The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
(21) But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
(22) All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
(23) Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

This passage seems applicable to both points.

:nono: He quotes Urantia against Him Crucified and does not apologize for anything He says.

Assumptions. You are assuming one kind of death, I the other. Matthew 25:46 "Death" does not mean, by ANY necessity, cessation of the soul.

Because Caino doesn't believe scriptures UNLESS they support his Urantia book. That is the same way with every cult. Again, learn who the players are. A VAST majority of those who agree with you in this thread are cultists that do not at all support Biblical inerrancy. IOW, you cannot go 'protecting' or 'supporting' heretics without being seen as sympathetic to cults and heresy (damnable ones).

Imho, 1) you are not much of a heretic nor desire to be 2) you don't need to be giving heretics a glimmer of hope that in any way, ruins the words of God that they already decided on their own, is NOT His words. IOW, don't give them a reason to go their merry way to judgment. You are actually harming them, not helping a whit.

Rosenritter

The only good support I have seen that defends the resurrection against the spiritualism of "immortal ghosting" and the destruction of the wicked (as compared to their preservation in immortal torment) comes from those that understand and concur with Biblical authority.

Then William Tyndale and Martin Luther can also join me as heretics in this regard. If it's names and reputation you are concerned about, you won't find men more respected than these. You can also find them in Fox's Book of Martyrs. These excerpts again, are from between Sir Thomas More and William Tyndale. They talked a bit like we do here, excepting Thomas More actually sought to kill his opponents (and their friends) at the same time.

Spoiler

[193] More:---“Item, that there is no purgatory.”

Tyndale
:---Believe in Christ, and thou shalt shortly find purgatories enough, as ye now make others feel.

More
---“Item, that all souls lie and sleep till doomsday.”

Tyndale
:---And ye, in putting them in heaven, hell, and purgatory, destroy the argument wherewith Christ and Paul prove the resurrection. What God doth with them, that shall we know when we come to them. The true faith putteth the resurrection, which we be warned to look for every hour. The heathen philosophers, denying that, did put that the souls did ever live. And the pope joineth the spiritual doctrine of Christ and the fleshly doctrine of philosophers together; things so contrary that they cannot agree, no more than the Spirit and the flesh do in a christian man. And because the fleshly-minded pope consenteth unto heathen doctrine, therefore he corrupteth the scripture to stablish it. Moses saith in Deut. “The secret things pertain unto the Lord, and the things that be opened pertain unto us, that we do all that is written in the book.” Wherefore, sir, if we love the laws of God, and would occupy ourselves to fulfil them, and would on the other side be meek, and let God alone with his secrets, and suffer him to be wiser than we, we should make none article of the faith of this or that. And again, if the souls be in heaven, tell me why they be not in as good case as the angels be? And then what cause is there of the resurrection?

Spoiler

[200]
More:---“Martin will abide but by the scriptures only.”

Tyndale
:---And ye will come at not scripture only. And as for the old doctors, ye will hear as little, save where it pleaseth you, for all your crying ‘Old holy fathers.’ For tell me this, why have ye in England condemned ‘The Union of Doctors,’ but because ye would not have your falsehood disclosed by the doctrine of them?

[202] More:---“What shall he care how long he live in sin, that believeth Luther, that he shall after this life feel neither good nor evil, in body nor soul, until the day of doom?”

Tyndale
:---Christ and his apostles taught no other; but warned to look for Christ’s coming again every hour: which coming again because ye believe will never be, therefore have ye feigned that other merchandise.

Imho, 1) you are not much of a heretic nor desire to be 2) you don't need to be giving heretics a glimmer of hope that in any way, ruins the words of God that they already decided on their own, is NOT His words. IOW, don't give them a reason to go their merry way to judgment. You are actually harming them, not helping a whit.

Rosenritter

You failed to answer the question. How does Christ's answer prove the resurrection? Jesus says "As touching the resurrection of the dead" ... "that they rise" and then proceeds to say that God is the God of the living.

If the dead are actually "alive in spirit" all this time, how does Christ's answer prove the resurrection of the dead?

Rather Jesus was "proving" the dead have not ceased being...just because their body is dead. The fact that He is their God shows they have being. In fact, Luke says, they live unto Him.
Luke 20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

In Luke chapter 16, Jesus gives us a beautiful look into the place of the dead. Hades, Paradise, Abraham's Bosom, Sheol....those all speak of the place of waiting.

Lon

I'm not questioning God at all, I question the speculation and conjecture of the culturally biased Holy men who wrote the scripture and then convinced the people that God actually wrote them! What I hate is inconsistency and untruth. You hate what I have to say not because it's so untrue but because you know it's true and that angers you.
:doh: Your stuff CANNOT be true simply because it is written by 3rd graders. At least you've been plain enough that you hate the Bible. Thanks for that. :up: The ONLY reason I engage you is to let others know you are not a Christian but a Urantian. It makes a difference in conversations.

Maybe one day Lon you will see the light and have the courage to defend the character of the Heavenly Father who we can see in the life of Christ and know in spirit. You are only insulting your own integrity and sense of justice in dragging yourself down and into the dim and distant past to make excuses for such a dysfunctional afterlife deity concept.
You can dream. God answers my prayers. I MUST be doing something right, by human standards and reasoning.

The entire idea of an Absolute creating Finite children, allowing an evil invisible superior Satan creature to mislead them, even partnering with evil to trick them for some sort of testing followed by the outrageous eternal condemnation in Hell fire, that's not a Loving Father at all! How do I know? Because I am a child of I AM, I have the innate ability to recognize a moral outrage when I see it!!!! My religion does not conflate faith with denying my own God given sensibilities.
There you go. You are trolling all of TOL with your gibberish.

Sin contains within it the seeds of it's own destruction. When one completely identifies with sin there is no place for them to go in Gods creation. In a spiritual sense they are "unreal". There is "no truth in them", they are unsalvageable. The function of correcting and suffering is of no further value. The judgment and by their own choice is cessation of existence. The idea that God would resurrect them from the dead for the meaningless purpose of eternal torture is a hateful accusation against the Heavenly Father. No such God exists.
....er....because you say so? I'll listen to God. You? :nono:

Lon

1. Saul persecuted Christ by hunting and slaying the saints, and he didn't apologize right away either. I'm not in agreement with Tertullian and Augusting and Calvin that persecution of heretics is the will of God and beneficial for the church. If we use Christ's example, he ate and socialized with known sinners, publicans, and samaritans. Who needs the physician, the well or the unwell? If Caino starts to use scriptural authority, we should encourage him at that point (to do otherwise would seem hypocritical.)
"Jewish" sinners. Caino is NOT using scriptures. You go ahead and learn the hard way. I'm done with this part of the conversation. He just said to me above that he hates the men that wrote the Bible because they were liars :doh:

2. You have started to contradict yourself. You yourself posted passage references, supposedly for Caino to read in your response to himthat state in that so many words that the soul is subject to death. Death, in any normal use of the word, means the cessation of life. I can probably find a contextual passage or two in the canon that also proves the dictionary definition, if need be.
Sorry, this paragraph is nonsense. There is no contradiction. None.

How can you possibly say that death is not the cessation of life? That is the most fundamental basic meaning of the word! See 1 Kings 21:15, "not alive, but dead." You can make anything say anything if you selectively reverse the meanings of key words!
Adam and Eve died the day they ate the fruit. Death is not cessation. You have a tent that lives biologically, and a spirit that "lives" only if you are in Christ. Therefore, life and death are words that stand for more than one concept, both. Learn them.

Ezekiel 18:20-23 KJV
(20) The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
(21) But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
(22) All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.
(23) Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
Do you have a concordance? Get one and look up what words are translated from either Hebrew or Greek.

This passage seems applicable to both points.
A soul experiences the death of its body/tent. You do not 'cease to exist' when you die. You should entertain the idea that spiritual death is separation from God. Some people believe we were created self-willed. As such, it points toward a being that doesn't cease. If so, men who reject God will 'live' that way without Him, by their own choice. Stop trying to blame God for wicked man's choices. You are a bleeding liberal at that point, trying to save the wicked when they, themselves, are past the point of no return. By this, I do not mean give up, but I mean don't make excuses for them, or wind up on the wrong side, hating God by your deference to those wicked. God loves them. You are supposed to as well but NOT if you neglect the first command, in order to do it. I don't know if I can get you to understand this point. "The second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself."

Lon

The only good support I have seen that defends the resurrection against the spiritualism of "immortal ghosting" and the destruction of the wicked (as compared to their preservation in immortal torment) comes from those that understand and concur with Biblical authority.

Then William Tyndale and Martin Luther can also join me as heretics in this regard. If it's names and reputation you are concerned about, you won't find men more respected than these. You can also find them in Fox's Book of Martyrs. These excerpts again, are from between Sir Thomas More and William Tyndale. They talked a bit like we do here, excepting Thomas More actually sought to kill his opponents (and their friends) at the same time.

Spoiler

[193] More:---“Item, that there is no purgatory.”

Tyndale
:---Believe in Christ, and thou shalt shortly find purgatories enough, as ye now make others feel.

More
---“Item, that all souls lie and sleep till doomsday.”

Tyndale
:---And ye, in putting them in heaven, hell, and purgatory, destroy the argument wherewith Christ and Paul prove the resurrection. What God doth with them, that shall we know when we come to them. The true faith putteth the resurrection, which we be warned to look for every hour. The heathen philosophers, denying that, did put that the souls did ever live. And the pope joineth the spiritual doctrine of Christ and the fleshly doctrine of philosophers together; things so contrary that they cannot agree, no more than the Spirit and the flesh do in a christian man. And because the fleshly-minded pope consenteth unto heathen doctrine, therefore he corrupteth the scripture to stablish it. Moses saith in Deut. “The secret things pertain unto the Lord, and the things that be opened pertain unto us, that we do all that is written in the book.” Wherefore, sir, if we love the laws of God, and would occupy ourselves to fulfil them, and would on the other side be meek, and let God alone with his secrets, and suffer him to be wiser than we, we should make none article of the faith of this or that. And again, if the souls be in heaven, tell me why they be not in as good case as the angels be? And then what cause is there of the resurrection?

Spoiler

[200]
More:---“Martin will abide but by the scriptures only.”

Tyndale
:---And ye will come at not scripture only. And as for the old doctors, ye will hear as little, save where it pleaseth you, for all your crying ‘Old holy fathers.’ For tell me this, why have ye in England condemned ‘The Union of Doctors,’ but because ye would not have your falsehood disclosed by the doctrine of them?

[202] More:---“What shall he care how long he live in sin, that believeth Luther, that he shall after this life feel neither good nor evil, in body nor soul, until the day of doom?”

Tyndale
:---Christ and his apostles taught no other; but warned to look for Christ’s coming again every hour: which coming again because ye believe will never be, therefore have ye feigned that other merchandise.

:nono: You do not read OR comprehend well. Both quotes are talking about Catholic doctrines: One Purgatory and the other soul-sleep or 'cessation' of conscience. The latter, is somewhat addressing your belief as wrong, as well. Read for comprehension. -Lon

Rosenritter

If your definition of "Conservative Evangelical Fundamental" means "believing the dead are alive" then your definition is clearly circular. Not that it actually matters, but there are a fair amount of Christians that will side with me on this, some of them with names you might even recognize. Not that it matters a whit to me, but would John Stott be a sufficient modern example to disprove your assertion?

I guess you didn't deem William Tyndale as Evangelical enough - he was martyred for translating the bible and distributing it illegally in England... seems to me that you've adopted the circular definition method. A method, I might add, which is meaningless regardless. What happened to "scripture only" rather than "let's take a poll and make sure we have approval of our fellows?" Who is it trying to please men here?

No Conservative Evangelical Fundamental believer will side with you on this. It may surprise you, and I hope it does, that you are in an extreme minority regarding this passage as far as Christians. As far as the world? Yeah, you are among good company. The question: Who are you willing to compromise? God or men. It must lean toward biblical revelation or toward men's sensibilities. NonChristians are very happy with the idea of annihilation. Atheists are resigned to it. Your 'sensitive' gesture, one way or the other, never makes more converts to Christianity, just 'more comfortable' rejecters. Think about that long and hard (please).

And I showed you, point-blank, the Sadducees were wrong. The Pharisees got it right on this one.

Others might be better educated (doubtful) but I'm reasonably intelligent and fairly confident. Appeals to authority or to someone supposedly 'smarter' aren't going to work.

Snippets, most often out of context, never ever bother me. Everyone who has EVER tried to talk me out of a belief, tends to never have the credential integrity for it. An internet search doesn't help much. I've been over study on this doctrine many times. I am sympathetic toward annihilationists BUT I am unconvinced of anywise a superior intellect, study integrity, or strong history of appeal. So 1) You can believe as you desire and have some little scriptural confidence, but to me, it doesn't look right. BECAUSE I am unmovingly convinced Luke 16:19-31 Luke 17:1-4 as a warning, only convinces me further that it is not just a story. You can 'assert' opposed, but that's all you've got. I believe you are wrong and can defend a reasoned response to why it is more likely true, not just a story, than not.

... and so you have unmovingly decided that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man is not a parable, but a real story, with real elements. Never mind that the Bible states with precision that it is a parable, of which parables by nature are known to contain fictional elements. Matthew 13:34, Mark 4:34, "... all these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them.That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet... " Jesus was speaking before a multitude, Luke lists the multitude as present, ergo, Jesus does not suddenly change his speech and insert a non-parable in the mix without warning.

But as you say, you've chosen to make up your mind regardless of what anyone has to say on the matter. Even Matthew, Mark, and the prophet.

:nono: I rather believe God is good and that I don't 'have' to be the one to defend Him. He has rocks for that, among other things. Rather, I'm only concerned (only) with being biblical, not 'emotional' or subjective.

I don't think you believe God is actually good, I think you're redefining good to match what you have chosen to believe about God. Since when is keeping trillions alive for the sake of inflicting unending and infinite amounts of pain and torment an attribute of goodness? What would you think of someone who tortured an animal for pleasure, keeping it alive for just a couple weeks at a time? Multiply that by a million million, and again.

Goes both ways. ▲ Read ▲ Deference to a pagan does not make less pagans. There is no real sense you are helping them at all and may very well be hurting them. I did not come to Christ fearing eternal torment. I came because love drew me. Those without Christ are, imho, already living in this hell. If it weren't for saints and the presence of God, it'd be unbearable. In the end, hell will be all of us removed. It is already happening in society. Those flames, whatever they may be, may very well be flames of their own making and desire.

Pardon this interjection, but my understanding of Calvinism was that it was impossible to help or hurt anyone, that all was predetermined and unchangeable. I am not of Calvinist persuasion, but I thought that you were. Have I misunderstood you?

And the second question, from the way you are describing things it sounds like you don't believe in a literal hell fire. "Those without Christ are .. already living in this hell?" "Hell is all of us removed?" "Flames of their own making and desire?" The bible says no such thing Lon. Here's what it does say: "For behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the ay that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch." Mal 4:1 KJV. None of this liberal "hell is the world without us" that it sounds like you're saying. "Burn them up" it says. "Leave them neither root nor branch" it says. Nothing about living in hell.

Not at all, I am sympathetic, and would be an annihilation proponent if I believed I could with any biblical integrity.

So far your arguments have been exactly that the Bible does NOT have integrity. Here's what I've seen you use so far:
1) The Bible has to be read with custom definitions that means the opposite of their normal meaning, including "death" "live" and "perish"
2) Most of the Bible that speaks of death and judgement has no actual clue to the reality and should be ignored, or at least dismissed by "they only meant physical death"
3) A philosophical "non-physical death" must be invented and accepted, in line with the pagan Greek philosophical traditions. The Bible must be read with this filter accepted as a given, and must yield to this standard.
4) Christ is allowed to contradict himself and otherwise make a fool of his own arguments, as long as this pagan tradition is preserved.
5) Scriptural contradicts are ignored, and pointed questions are passed over hoping they will be buried under tons of added postings

All of this he said/she said, goes both ways. You are actually more entrenched than I. I would believe what you believe in a moment if I felt it was biblically supported. I do not.

:nono: I'm not for pick'n'choose theology. I'm for truth.

You don't believe God when he says "You shall surely die" now, do you Lon? The serpent said "You shall not surely die" and you've chosen to believe that, instead. I guess God didn't understand death back then?

You don't believe the gospels when they say that Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables, and without parables he spoke not unto them. You'd rather prefer to believe that a parable is no parable at all.

You don't believe Jesus when he says that without repentance, the wicked will surely perish. That's one of the words that you've redefined, in a way that the Bible never defines nor requires.You don't believe the Bible when it says the wicked will be reduced to ashes, and be no more. You don't believe the Bible when it says that death is the cessation of being, the absence of love, thought, hatred, envy, or the knowledge that one is alive, and that the wicked are not troubled in death. How is "knowledge that you are dead" something that is a physical thing, Lon? You've chosen to read everything though a non-biblical pagan filter! OF COURSE ITS GOING TO COME OUT DIFFERENT!

As much as I care for people, I cannot and will not seek your approval foremost. I will rather seek God foremost. Allowing a nonChristian (by his own rejection of us), to dictate what the bible says to you, is a grave mistake. They may occasionally side with us, but we have nothing in common. 2 Corinthians 6:15
I think I'm actually better at this than you, simply because you don't line-item your responses like I do. :think:
Glad to hear it. Luke 16:19-31, imho, contradicts you. Let's talk about the Bible instead of our mercurial sensibilities.

Answer the questions then Lon. Stop dodging them. What is the name of the rich man in this parable? Likewise, do you accept all parables as containing real elements? If so, prove to me you're being consistent. Because I'm aware of parables where the plants speak among themselves and hold elections.

Rosenritter

Glorydaz, until you can satisfactorily explain how "God is not the God of the dead but of the living" can co-exist with "I will prove the resurrection will happen in the future because the dead are alive right this minute" then that passage is your burden to explain, not mine.

God is the God of the living because Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will live in the resurrection. They are obviously NOT ALIVE right now, or else Jesus would have been unable to use them as examples to prove the necessity of resurrection.

If there were no resurrection, then Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob would never live, and THEN God would not be "the God of the Living." Read this several times until you understand this please. I don't understand why you're not getting it.

Mark 12:26-27 KJV
(26) And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
(27) He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Jesus did not say, "And as touching spirits in heaven, that they live" ... but "as touching the dead, that they rise." "God is the God of the living" is what is used as the proof. What part do you not understand, that if the dead were alive in heaven, that "God of the living" would do nothing to prove the resurrection?

Yet you don't hear what Jesus said quite clearly that God is not the God of the dead but of the living? How can you not understand what is so clearly stated. :think:

I can understand your confusion. Not only is man a living soul, but he is triune with a spirit, soul, and body. When Paul says forty souls were lost at sea, he is speaking of their physical life. The "breath of life" belongs to the body. It is the body that dies and it's the body that is resurrected.

If souls sleep after death, how is it that they can cry out with a loud voice?
Revelation 6:9-10
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?​

The soul is the who of us....our thinking our emotions and our reasoning. Our spirit is the means with which we communicate with God. Those in Christ will never die (although our body will....unless the Lord comes first and we are changed). Otherwise, our bodies will be resurrected. As Paul says, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Don't you believe that?

Souls slain under the altar can cry out in the same context as horses run through heaven carrying riders named Death, Famine, War, and Disease. Regardless, just because it's interesting, let's pretend for a moment that these are conscious souls, aware, and all that: here's some problems you would face:

1) The altar is on the earth, not in heaven
2) These saints are tormented because they are not avenged
3) Those that killed them have not been punished yet

Mountains and hills clap their hands for joy and skip like lambs. It's called personification and its not unusual element in a dream or vision.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Paul does not say that "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord." I've a friend that took about forty-fifty translations and looked for that phrase. It's not there. You're misquoting it. I'll use King James here but this should hold true no matter what you pick up:

Spoiler
2 Corinthians 5:1-8 KJV(1) For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
(2) For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
(3) If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
(4) For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
(5) Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
(6) Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
(7) (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
(8) We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Read the passage I included above. In context. Paul specifically states that we will not be unclothed, but clothed upon. Your version has the saints unclothed for up to two thousand years before they are clothed upon. "Mortality swallowed up of life" is the same language Paul uses to describe the resurrection of the dead in 1 Corinthians.

While we are at home in this body, we are absent from the Lord. And if you believe what the Bible says about death, you would also know that it involves no conscious experience, nor knowledge or awareness of the passage of time. One instant alive and about to die, the next instant resurrection. No time for the individual in between.

So is "absent from the body present with the Lord?" No. And you won't find a single bible that says that. Are we willing to be absent from the body, and present with the Lord? Yes. It's stated as a sequence, not an equivalence.

Rosenritter

Your belief depends on a misquote of 2 Corinthians 5:8, requiring Paul to contradict what he said just a few verses above in the same chapter?

▲There you go ▲ Rosenritter (just above Glory, she beat me to 'submit'). It is your call from pagans to abandon the scriptures and the harsh God of the Bible.

According to them, as I said, He cannot be trusted or followed. Your 'deference' to them causes them to disdain Him

"comfortably" imho. Between the two of us? They reject us both BUT hope you will join them. That is the only difference,

I believe, you are making. To me, it only leads to confusion. The only ones I'm interested to talk with about these discussions

for the most part, are Christians. The lost are merely looking for 'yet another excuse' to follow their flesh and interests of those bits of flesh.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
:doh: Your stuff CANNOT be true simply because it is written by 3rd graders. At least you've been plain enough that you hate the Bible. Thanks for that. :up: The ONLY reason I engage you is to let others know you are not a Christian but a Urantian. It makes a difference in conversations.

You can dream. God answers my prayers. I MUST be doing something right, by human standards and reasoning.

There you go. You are trolling all of TOL with your gibberish.

....er....because you say so? I'll listen to God. You? :nono:

As usual emotional Lon has no response because there is no justification for a deity that says in effect "love me or I will throw you in Hell forever"!.

Lon

As usual emotional Lon has no response because there is no justification for a deity that says in effect "love me or I will throw you in Hell forever"!.
Nope. There is emoting but it is on your part. You ran to a book written by third graders. I wasn't that guy.

Like an 'adult' I wrestled with the text instead of running away.

Lon

Your belief depends on a misquote of 2 Corinthians 5:8, requiring Paul to contradict what he said just a few verses above in the same chapter?
No.
If your definition of "Conservative Evangelical Fundamental" means "believing the dead are alive" then your definition is clearly circular. Not that it actually matters, but there are a fair amount of Christians that will side with me on this, some of them with names you might even recognize. Not that it matters a whit to me, but would John Stott be a sufficient modern example to disprove your assertion?
Anglican. NOT a Conservative Fundamental Evangelical.
Quit trying to one-up me. This posturing will have me leaving you to your ignorant arrogance if you continue. I have little patience for those who aren't here to learn. You don't have to be on TOL 'to learn' but it kind of becomes posturizing. I have the where-with-all and credentials. You can pursue them or ignore them yourself, if you like. "misquote" and 'fair amount' (no there are not), are just posturing words of feigned superiority and assertion. I'm not interested.

I guess you didn't deem William Tyndale as Evangelical enough - he was martyred for translating the bible and distributing it illegally in England... seems to me that you've adopted the circular definition method. A method, I might add, which is meaningless regardless. What happened to "scripture only" rather than "let's take a poll and make sure we have approval of our fellows?" Who is it trying to please men here?
Nope. My patience with you is wearing thin. It means I'm done. Believe as you like, Rosenritter. I will believe as God has called me to believe and understand His word. There is no point in continuing. There are hundreds of pages now that cover this material sufficiently. Don't listen to your own demise. I've already said I'd be an annihilationist if I could. My own studies of those scriptures show annihilation as thin. Not well represented at all. I would be one if I believed scripture would allow it. I genuinely, scripturally, believe I cannot. Your understanding of my theology, let alone anyone else's is not understood by you either. You need to study a lot more, talk a lot less.
... and so you have unmovingly decided that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man is not a parable, but a real story, with real elements. Never mind that the Bible states with precision that it is a parable
Go read again, young pup. Learn to speak to your elders and betters with more deference and esteem while you are at it. There is no respect here on your part. Do you realize you've become snarky since being here on TOL?

of which parables by nature are known to contain fictional elements. Matthew 13:34, Mark 4:34, "... all these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them.That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet... " Jesus was speaking before a multitude, Luke lists the multitude as present, ergo, Jesus does not suddenly change his speech and insert a non-parable in the mix without warning.
You are inept. Read it all. Again. You are clearly wrong. That change-up was made well before Luke 16:19 and you are remiss in noting it. Stop being a student who 'asserts.' It is pathetic and ridiculous. You are not my peer. I've been at this a lot longer than you and with the appropriate education behind it.

But as you say, you've chosen to make up your mind regardless of what anyone has to say on the matter. Even Matthew, Mark, and the prophet.
Nope, just you and unbelievers.

I don't think you believe God is actually good, I think you're redefining good to match what you have chosen to believe about God. Since when is keeping trillions alive for the sake of inflicting unending and infinite amounts of pain and torment an attribute of goodness? What would you think of someone who tortured an animal for pleasure, keeping it alive for just a couple weeks at a time? Multiply that by a million million, and again.
I don't care what you believe. You are rewriting God. You are angry with God, if He isn't exactly like you expect. Guess what? You are not that awesome. You don't get to redefine God. Caino does. He hates the Bible. If you hate it too, you can move on to something ridiculous. As for me and my house....
And yeah, I'm looking for that integrity. If it doesn't exist (and you are quickly dropping the ball on that expectation), then you can go your own way. I'm giving you the majority of the Protestant view and bringing that wealth to bear and you are thinking it is just you and me. :nono: You are against all of 'us' and being snarky and arrogant about it.

Pardon this interjection, but my understanding of Calvinism was that it was impossible to help or hurt anyone, that all was predetermined and unchangeable. I am not of Calvinist persuasion, but I thought that you were. Have I misunderstood you?
Not important at the moment. I'm about to let you go because of this post and the one prior. Not my cup of tea. I'm not interested when the things of God become fodder for banter and bad behavior. I will not discuss God on such a field of dishonor.

And the second question, from the way you are describing things it sounds like you don't believe in a literal hell fire. "Those without Christ are .. already living in this hell?" "Hell is all of us removed?" "Flames of their own making and desire?" The bible says no such thing Lon. Here's what it does say: "For behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the ay that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch." Mal 4:1 KJV. None of this liberal "hell is the world without us" that it sounds like you're saying. "Burn them up" it says. "Leave them neither root nor branch" it says. Nothing about living in hell.
I'd answer, but you aren't interested, just incredulous. None of this is a 'real' inquiry :plain:

So far your arguments have been exactly that the Bible does NOT have integrity. Here's what I've seen you use so far:
1) The Bible has to be read with custom definitions that means the opposite of their normal meaning, including "death" "live" and "perish"
Nope, just yours :plain:

2) Most of the Bible that speaks of death and judgement has no actual clue to the reality and should be ignored, or at least dismissed by "they only meant physical death"
Nope. Yours is the private interpretation. You could have asked. This too is not a question, nor even an honest assessment. It is an accusation REGARDLESS of counterfactuals.

3) A philosophical "non-physical death" must be invented and accepted, in line with the pagan Greek philosophical traditions. The Bible must be read with this filter accepted as a given, and must yield to this standard.
Nope. A professor, much more adept than you (or me) walked me through this. You've got nothing left but snarky and are playing the part of ignorance and foolery.
Good on you for doing theology this way. It suddenly became 'you and me' instead of a desire to praise and worship the God of the universe. Nice going :up:

4) Christ is allowed to contradict himself and otherwise make a fool of his own arguments, as long as this pagan tradition is preserved.
No, but The Lord Jesus Christ can certainly make a fool of your understanding. Instead of entertaining that uncomfortable thought, you went to the absurd. :applaud:

5) Scriptural contradicts are ignored, and pointed questions are passed over hoping they will be buried under tons of added postings
Just more thoughtless posting and 'fake' assessment that you don't actually believe. I've shown you, you are the one that is lazy in replies, do not line item your response, nor apply yourself past your own posturing. There is NO teaching stubborn or fool. It cannot be done until pigheaded stops being an arrogant know-it-all who doesn't really know anything but his own shallow dredges.

You don't believe God when he says "You shall surely die" now, do you Lon? The serpent said "You shall not surely die" and you've chosen to believe that, instead. I guess God didn't understand death back then?
▲Arrogant trash talk▲ NONE of it from God. :nono:
None of it. Get over yourself.

You don't believe the gospels when they say that Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables, and without parables he spoke not unto them. You'd rather prefer to believe that a parable is no parable at all.
Trash talk. I certainly do.

You don't believe Jesus when he says that without repentance, the wicked will surely perish. That's one of the words that you've redefined, in a way that the Bible never defines nor requires.You don't believe the Bible when it says the wicked will be reduced to ashes, and be no more.
The MAJORITY of us don't believe you. Has nothing to do with your snarky 'you don't believe' trash talk. All of us disagree with you. How arrogant can you get? Dare I get there with you? :nono: I'll bow out and just 'think' I'm
incredibly smarter and wiser than you for not stooping to this trash talk inanity.

You don't believe the Bible when it says that death is the cessation of being, the absence of love, thought, hatred, envy, or the knowledge that one is alive, and that the wicked are not troubled in death. How is "knowledge that you are dead" something that is a physical thing, Lon? You've chosen to read everything though a non-biblical pagan filter! OF COURSE ITS GOING TO COME OUT DIFFERENT!
Actually, I believe that man is you. You'd rather bow to the lost, than God and would rather have their approval, as evidenced in this thread, than be a workman approved by God, or one who understand his own limited place against the greater church around him. NONE of this is a gauntlet at my feet, but the church at large. That's why I'm both smarter and wiser, "me" is "Us." You just aren't THAT smart. Sorry. You shouldn't be this stupidly arrogant. You aren't old enough for another.

Answer the questions then Lon. Stop dodging them. What is the name of the rich man in this parable?
:doh: I'm not going to tell you what I think of you here..... THINK! What would I actually tell you? What would you tell yourself!?

Likewise, do you accept all parables as containing real elements?
Here's another real-brainer of a question :doh: Of COURSE there are real elements! :doh:
:nono: I've no idea what to do with a kid like you. The skull is too thick. The arrogance too high and above.

If so, prove to me you're being consistent. Because I'm aware of parables where the plants speak among themselves and hold elections.
:sigh: So arrogant :( So much to teach you and you will not :( The plants that speak aren't actually 'plants.' :(

Last edited:

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Nope. There is emoting but it is on your part. You ran to a book written by third graders. I wasn't that guy.

Like an 'adult' I wrestled with the text instead of running away.

You don't really think the Urantia revelation was written by 3rd graders, you just have no answer for it's consistent teachings when you have to defend the claims of the Hebrew priest.

Since you keep bringing it up:

"Early man entertained no ideas of hell or future punishment. The savage looked upon the future life as just like this one, minus all ill luck. Later on, a separate destiny for good ghosts and bad ghosts— heaven and hell—was conceived. But since many primitive races believed that man entered the next life just as he left this one, they did not relish the idea of becoming old and decrepit. The aged much preferred to be killed before becoming too infirm.

Almost every group had a different idea regarding the destiny of the ghost soul. The Greeks believed that weak men must have weak souls; so they invented Hades as a fit place for the reception of such anemic souls; these unrobust specimens were also supposed to have shorter shadows. The early Andites thought their ghosts returned to the ancestral homelands. The Chinese and Egyptians once believed that soul and body remained together. Among the Egyptians this led to careful tomb construction and efforts at body preservation. Even modern peoples seek to arrest the decay of the dead. The Hebrews conceived that a phantom replica of the individual went down to Sheol; it could not return to the land of the living. They did make that important advance in the doctrine of the evolution of the soul."

"The Jewish traditions of heaven and hell and the doctrine of devils as recorded in the Hebrew scriptures, while founded on the lingering traditions of Lucifer and Caligastia, were principally derived from the Zoroastrians during the times when the Jews were under the political and cultural dominance of the Persians. Zoroaster, like the Egyptians, taught the "day of judgment," but he connected this event with the end of the world." UB 1955

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
If the 'story' fits...use it.....

If the 'story' fits...use it.....

Continuing from here,

Some believe parables are 'real'.....especially when it supports their doctrinal belief :) - then all things 'figurative' can be 'adapted' to serve one's 'theology'. ECT is a deplorable belief which fosters insantiy and fear of God, since the conscience is naturally appalled at such a concept, especially in the light of God being INFINITE LOVE. Its a moral contradiction.

Lon

You don't really think the Urantia revelation was written by 3rd graders, you just have no answer for it's consistent teachings when you have to defend the claims of the Hebrew priest.

Since you keep bringing it up:
Spoiler

"Early man entertained no ideas of hell or future punishment. The savage looked upon the future life as just like this one, minus all ill luck. Later on, a separate destiny for good ghosts and bad ghosts— heaven and hell—was conceived. But since many primitive races believed that man entered the next life just as he left this one, they did not relish the idea of becoming old and decrepit. The aged much preferred to be killed before becoming too infirm.

Almost every group had a different idea regarding the destiny of the ghost soul. The Greeks believed that weak men must have weak souls; so they invented Hades as a fit place for the reception of such anemic souls; these unrobust specimens were also supposed to have shorter shadows. The early Andites thought their ghosts returned to the ancestral homelands. The Chinese and Egyptians once believed that soul and body remained together. Among the Egyptians this led to careful tomb construction and efforts at body preservation. Even modern peoples seek to arrest the decay of the dead. The Hebrews conceived that a phantom replica of the individual went down to Sheol; it could not return to the land of the living. They did make that important advance in the doctrine of the evolution of the soul."

"The Jewish traditions of heaven and hell and the doctrine of devils as recorded in the Hebrew scriptures, while founded on the lingering traditions of Lucifer and Caligastia, were principally derived from the Zoroastrians during the times when the Jews were under the political and cultural dominance of the Persians. Zoroaster, like the Egyptians, taught the "day of judgment," but he connected this event with the end of the world." UB 1955
Sorry. I really do, think it is the most brain-dead rubbish I've ever read.

[URL="http://www.dumbbook.com" said:
www.dumbbook.com[/URL]]Jesus derived much of his unusual gentleness and marvelous sympathetic understanding of human nature from his father; he inherited his gift as a great teacher and his tremendous capacity for righteous indignation from his mother. In emotional reactions to his adult-life environment, Jesus was at one time like his father, meditative and worshipful, sometimes characterized by apparent sadness; but more often he drove forward in the manner of his mother’s optimistic and determined disposition. All in all, Mary’s temperament tended to dominate the career of the divine Son as he grew up and swung into the momentous strides of his adult life. In some particulars Jesus was a blending of his parents’ traits; in other respects he exhibited the traits of one in contrast with those of the other.
:alien::cool: :dizzy: :spam::hammer::dunce::dead::bang::eek::kookoo::dizzy::flamer::vomit::baby::loser::maxi::troll::vomit::down: