Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

way 2 go

Really quick, my theology:

Those who died went either Hades (death and hades are thrown eventually into the lake of fire (hell) not to be confused).
One side of Hades as Luke 16 portrays, was Paradise, the other a place of torment. Any mention of the dead not 'aware' is in relation to their bodies and their awareness on earth. They were completely removed from 'life' on earth.

When Jesus died, He told the thief on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise. The Lord Jesus Christ preached to captives 'in prison' (Paradise). Because Abraham and all the other men of faith needed to be covered by the DBR of the Lord Jesus Christ, He explained to them in prison where their trust and hope were met in Him.

3 days later, The Lord Jesus Christ rose with those saints. He appeared to the disciples and went to His Father. He came back down, spent time with the disciples then rose again with all the saints after.

Now, when any die, they either go to hades or heaven (no longer Paradise).

Such does not contradict any scripture, but it does go against your beliefs concerning them. -Lon

yes .

our spirits continue to exist apart from our bodies in hades or heaven.

Reactions: Lon

way 2 go

If God really did torture people in Hell for an eternity for not trusting in his goodness
God is not torturing anyone , He is the judge

Joh_3:19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.

, they would be eternally right, reminded each painful day why they didn't trust him.

Mat 13:41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers,
Mat 13:42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 13:43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

Hell is a fictional creation of primitive men, for those who reject God death is the eternal consequence.

Mat_25:41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Lon

If God really did...
Genesis 3:1 "...did God really say...?" :think:

If God really did torture people in Hell for an eternity for not trusting in his goodness, they would be eternally right, reminded each painful day why they didn't trust him.
:doh: And you take comfort in that? That you are stubborn enough to question God??? :doh:
Ezekiel 18:23 Ezekiel 33:11 yet Matthew 25:46

Hell is a fictional creation of primitive men
Mark 9:47 You hate the Lord Jesus Christ.

for those who reject God death is the eternal consequence.
Mark 12:27
You seek to usurp God and have us worship you and your righteousness over and above His.
You are better than God by your own beliefs. Sad stuff, always, Caino. You are your own grandpa and your own god. :(

Zeke

Lon, do you realize that God being the "God of the Living" actually contradicts any assumption that the dead are currently alive? The passage is important enough to be repeated in multiple gospels:

Matthew 22:31-32 KJV
(31) But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
(32) I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Mark 12:26-27 KJV
(26) And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?
(27) He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Luke 20:37-38 KJV
(37) Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
(38) For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

Had this been in another context, there might be confusion, but Jesus specifically says that this is spoken as an intended proof of the resurrection of the dead. So here's my question for you: if Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are alive right now, then how does God being the God of the Living prove the resurrection of the dead? If they be alive at this moment, then they need not rise for "God of the Living" to be applicable.

If you prefer the more eloquent presentation of the question, here's William Tyndale's response when Sir Thomas More used the same phrase "God of the Living" to claim that the saints were alive in heaven:

Spoiler
from "An Answer to Sir Thomas More's Dialogue"

And when he proveth that the saints be in heaven in glory with Christ already, saying, ‘If God be their God, they be in heaven, for is not the God of the dead;’ there he stealeth away Christ’s argument, wherewith he proveth the resurrection: that Abraham and all saints should rise again, and not that their souls were in heaven, which doctrine was not yet in the world. And with that doctrine he taketh away the resurrection quite and maketh Christ’s argument of none effect. For when Christ allegeth the scripture, that God is Abraham’s God, and addeth to, that God is not God of the dead but of the living, and so proveth that Abraham must rise again, I deny Christ’s argument, and I say with M. More, that Abraham is yet alive, not because of the resurrection, but because his soul is in heaven.

And in like manner, Paul’s argument unto the Corinthians is nought worth: for when he saith, ‘If there be no resurrection, we be of all wretches the miserablest; here we have no pleasure, but sorrow, care, and oppression; and therefore, if we rise not again, all our suffering is in vain: ‘ ‘Nay, Paul, thou art un-learned; go to Master More, and learn a new way. We be not most miserable, though we rise not again; for our souls go to heaven as soon as we be dead, and are there in as great joy as Christ that is risen again.’ And I marvel that Paul had not comforted the Thessalonians with that doctrine, if he had wist it, that the souls of their dead had been in joy; as he did with the resurrection, that their dead should rise again. If the souls be in heaven, in as great glory as the angels, after your doctrine, shew me what cause should be of the resurrection?

The net effect of that argument backfires ... it doesn't support "the dead have awareness" but rather quite the opposite. The saints cannot be alive or Christ disproves his own argument in front of the Sadducees.

... which brings us back to the original question. Is it preferable that Jesus contradict the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in both Old and New Testaments (and disprove his own arguments) or is it worth considering that his parable might invoke non-literal elements for specific effect and meaning?

First resurrection is when you are born from above, until that happens you are dead spiritually, the second concerns the twinkling of an eye when you leave this body of corruption.

Lon

First resurrection is when you are born from above, until that happens you are dead spiritually, the second concerns the twinkling of an eye when you leave this body of corruption.
You don't even believe there is a "Jesus" :noway:

Rosenritter

You're mistaken about the thief on the cross: the thief didn't ask to be in Paradise immediately, and Jesus didn't promise he would be there immediately either. You're likely confusing the grammar of the English translation (mixing up will and shall) but even then, notice that Jesus says that the thief would be with him.

Luke 23:43 KJV
(43) And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The today modifies the shall, assigning the sealing of the promise that very day. Even King Saul and Solomon spoke in this way, if you have been so used to hearing bad grammar that it sounds strange. See 1 Samuel 18:21, 1 Kings 2:37 & 42. Or if Kings of Israel aren't enough, God speaks this way to Adam in the garden, "The day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" (it tells us when Adam died, and it wasn't that day.)

Besides, Jesus wasn't in Paradise on that day, or the next, or the one after that either. Scripture confirms that Christ was in hell, not paradise.

Did Jesus tell the thief that he would be in Paradise? Yes - but the fulfillment is at the same time as everyone else. That's affirmed by further scripture, when Paul speaks of the saints, he assures us that although they have not yet received the promise, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Hebrews 11:39-40 KJV
(39) And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
(40) God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Besides Jesus himself assuring us that no man has ascended to heaven, we have a by-the-way confirmation that the saints of old were not in heaven on the day of Pentecost. That is, he specifically says that David, the psalmist, whom God calls a man after his own heart, is not in heaven.

Acts 2:34-35 KJV
(34) For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
(35) Until I make thy foes thy footstool.

As such, I would say that "when people die they go to heaven" does contradict some scripture. It also destroys the gospel of the resurrection of the dead (why would it even be needed or desired?) as well as the problems that we've been laying out here as we go along: Christ contradicting scripture, destroying his own arguments as he gives them, Paul apparently not aware of this go-to-heaven doctrine as he instructs the churches, etc.

A question for you Lon: would you take a glance at this passage and make sure you're not reading it too quickly? I'll ask a couple questions after:

1 Peter 3:18-20 KJV
(18) For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
(19) By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
(20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

1. By grammar and meaning, by which did Christ preach to the spirits in prison? a) by being put to death or b) by being quickened by the Spirit?
2. What does it actually say was imprisoned? a) men or b) spirits?
3. Does Peter make any other reference to rebellious or imprisoned spirits in relation to the time of the great flood?

Spoiler
2 Peter 2:4-6 KJV
(4) For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
(5) And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;
(6) And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

There's enough loose ends in that arrangement to make a tangle of things pretty fast. If Jesus had to make a field trip to hell to give the saints an orientation, David must have slept through class or failed the exam. And there's still the problem Tyndale posed for us, that your interpretation requires that Jesus forgot entirely (within a sentence or two) that his point was to prove the resurrection. Other problems, such the word "perish" must now be interpreted as "preserve" and "death" means "truly alive in spirit" and the entire Bible now has to be read with a peculiar Orwellian Newspeak to preserve that foreign doctrine (which, as Tyndale says, "what not in the world at that time.")

The bigger problem is the elephant in the room that Caino continues to point out which few people really want to discuss. All those tricks and twists in order to prop up the old "Thou shalt not surely die" (from Genesis) also constructs a God that is either helpless to prevent untold agony or that truly enjoys the prospect of inflicting untold torment upon trillions of trillions, for no constructive or hopeful purpose, ever.

Paul comes straight out and tells us that we are not spirit, but remain flesh and blood until the resurrection, until we are changed. Given that he also tells us that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, how does this put anyone in heaven now, without resurrection, without first being changed???

1 Corinthians 15:50-53 KJV
(50) Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
(51) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
(52) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
(53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Really quick, my theology:

Those who died went either Hades (death and hades are thrown eventually into the lake of fire (hell) not to be confused).
One side of Hades as Luke 16 portrays, was Paradise, the other a place of torment. Any mention of the dead not 'aware' is in relation to their bodies and their awareness on earth. They were completely removed from 'life' on earth.

When Jesus died, He told the thief on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise. The Lord Jesus Christ preached to captives 'in prison' (Paradise). Because Abraham and all the other men of faith needed to be covered by the DBR of the Lord Jesus Christ, He explained to them in prison where their trust and hope were met in Him.

3 days later, The Lord Jesus Christ rose with those saints. He appeared to the disciples and went to His Father. He came back down, spent time with the disciples then rose again with all the saints after.

Now, when any die, they either go to hades or heaven (no longer Paradise).

Such does not contradict any scripture, but it does go against your beliefs concerning them. -Lon

Rosenritter

Just pointing out that the scriptures you gave Caino have no evidence of God "torturing people in hell for eternity?" Ezekiel tells us that God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked (but I guess it doesn't say anything about torturing the wicked after they are dead?) Matthew 25:46 speaks of the everlasting punishment of death, and unless this is one of the code words that we are supposed to swap, "Death" does not mean "Torment."

Now, is Caino questioning God? If he is, so did Abraham and Moses ... and God did hear them out. But I think it is more accurate that he is questioning you. If you claim to represent the Bible, and then you say that God is torturing more people than any dictator, but for an infinity.... you should be ready to give an answer when asked.

If you tell Caino that God is a mass torturer and he is not, and he believes you, and that belief in you causes him to stumble, then that would put you in a dangerous position.

Genesis 3:1 "...did God really say...?" :think:

:doh: And you take comfort in that? That you are stubborn enough to question God??? :doh:
Ezekiel 18:23 Ezekiel 33:11 yet Matthew 25:46

Mark 9:47 You hate the Lord Jesus Christ.

You seek to usurp God and have us worship you and your righteousness over and above His.
You are better than God by your own beliefs. Sad stuff, always, Caino. You are your own grandpa and your own god. :(

Rosenritter

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Caino

What Caino said there actually is backed up by scripture. In fact, he practically quoted scripture.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Now, I think it is obvious that it means "eternal death" and not "temporary death" here... so how is his taking the passage in Romans at face value usurping God? Have I missed something?

Rosenritter

Glorydaz, can you answer William Tyndale for us then? If Abraham was alive and aware, at that time when Jesus spoke, then how did he prove the resurrection? As much as I've asked that question to quite a few people, I have never yet seen anyone answer. They all dodge, and evade, and pretend it wasn't asked.

What is resurrected when the soul and spirit of man do not die? It's the body.
1 Cor. 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?​

Abraham was alive and aware, though his body was in the tomb. Jesus made it clear what being the God of the living meant.
Luke 16:23-25
And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.​

Rosenritter

You've made an assumption that men can live (and think, and be aware) without benefit of a living body. We already have a handful of passages (some of which I provided Lon already) that tell us that they do not.

By the way, even greater than that, where did you get the impression that the soul of man does not die? Is it not written, the soul that sinneth, it shall die?

Ezekiel 13:19 KJV
(19) And will ye pollute me among my people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, to slay the souls that should not die, and to save the souls alive that should not live, by your lying to my people that hear your lies?

Ezekiel 18:4 KJV
(4) Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Eze 18:20 KJV
(20) The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Revelation 16:3 KJV
(3) And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

"Soul" is a synonym for the whole man, the living, thinking, breathing man that is aware that he is. Yes, souls die. Where does it say that souls do not die? and the corresponding question is why should anyone think that one would continue to live as a spirit if they were slain? We aren't called spirits. Spirits are called spirits. Psalm 104:4 "Who maketh his angels spirits; his minsters a flaming fire:"

What is resurrected when the soul and spirit of man do not die? It's the body.
1 Cor. 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?​

Abraham was alive and aware, though his body was in the tomb. Jesus made it clear what being the God of the living meant.
Luke 16:23-25
And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.​

Lon

Just pointing out that the scriptures you gave Caino have no evidence of God "torturing people in hell for eternity?" Ezekiel tells us that God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked (but I guess it doesn't say anything about torturing the wicked after they are dead?) Matthew 25:46 speaks of the everlasting punishment of death, and unless this is one of the code words that we are supposed to swap, "Death" does not mean "Torment."
Luke 16:24 What do you think about that verse AND anybody like myself that assumes the Lord Jesus Christ is telling a story that has a man, in an actual place, tormented????
:think:
Now, is Caino questioning God? If he is, so did Abraham and Moses ... and God did hear them out. But I think it is more accurate that he is questioning you. If you claim to represent the Bible, and then you say that God is torturing more people than any dictator, but for an infinity.... you should be ready to give an answer when asked.
Luke 16:24 Go ahead. Ask. The Lord Jesus Christ didn't balk. Neither will I.
In the end, know this: I DON'T CARE what man thinks or that he wants to accuse God. Sure, men of God wrestled with God in the past. That isn't between you and I, that is between you and God very God. UNTIL you get an answer from Him, I'd suggest you are remiss to participate in this thread. Me? Job 13:15 I'd rather 'my' mind be obliterated by things too much for me, than to make it ever that God should bow to me and my whims, against His nature. Whatever His nature, 1) I assume He is the definition of Good, not me 2) That ANY adjustment is on my side.
If you tell Caino that God is a mass torturer and he is not, and he believes you, and that belief in you causes him to stumble, then that would put you in a dangerous position.

:doh: If you want to go Urantian and forget the Bible, do so. Caino has no intention of supporting anything in the Bible UNLESS it is found in U-rant-a-lot. That is his book of authority. I'd help if you knew who was saying what and when and using what source, and etc. I am not embarrassed about Luke 16:24. He is. Are you?

Rosenritter

If Way 2 Go ever raises a valid point, will someone bring it to my attention? I blocked him a long time ago, but if he ever manages an observation or conclusion of consequence I'm willing to answer it.

Rosenritter

Anyone in Christ's audience would have recognized the "Abraham's Bosom" and the Greek Hades as being completely fictional settings (just as if I started a story that began with Santa's Toyshop at the North Pole.) Granted that you are a couple thousand years (and a few hundred theologians) removed from that background, but you've also been offered solid scriptural references to not only prove what Christ and his audience would have as assumed givens, but also showing the details in the symbols Christ chose ... straight from the books of Moses, even.

So grouping yourself with any random person isn't really a fair comparison. A random person usually trusts their pastors and tradition to tell them straight and doesn't have the benefit of additional information. On the other hand, you have the benefit of education and specific scripture. And someone willing to talk about it that accepts the scripture in total. It's the part where you didn't question or acknowledge the "precept upon precept" part that has me not sure what to think.

Isaiah 28:13 KJV
(13) But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

What I think is that it is quite possible that you will think whatever you want to think, likely based upon the traditions you have chosen. If contradictions are created, you won't think about them, and if the resulting theology makes God a monster, you'll try not to think about that too much also. You may lash out at someone that notices the discrepancy between "God is love" and "God has more hatred then any being in existence" ... which is a defense mechanism because you don't have another way of dealing with it.

Luke 16:24 What do you think about that verse AND anybody like myself that assumes the Lord Jesus Christ is telling a story that has a man, in an actual place, tormented????
:think:

Luke 16:24 Go ahead. Ask. The Lord Jesus Christ didn't balk. Neither will I.
In the end, know this: I DON'T CARE what man thinks or that he wants to accuse God. Sure, men of God wrestled with God in the past. That isn't between you and I, that is between you and God very God. UNTIL you get an answer from Him, I'd suggest you are remiss to participate in this thread. Me? Job 13:15 I'd rather 'my' mind be obliterated by things too much for me, than to make it ever that God should bow to me and my whims, against His nature. Whatever His nature, 1) I assume He is the definition of Good, not me 2) That ANY adjustment is on my side.

But you're not willing to make adjustments on your side. You're showing that now. You have preconceived ideas and aren't willing to consider that you may be mistaken. When your notions make Jesus plainly contradict Jesus, make him upset his own arguments as they are being made, that should be a flag that maybe there should be an adjustment on your side.

:doh: If you want to go Urantian and forget the Bible, do so. Caino has no intention of supporting anything in the Bible UNLESS it is found in U-rant-a-lot. That is his book of authority. I'd help if you knew who was saying what and when and using what source, and etc. I am not embarrassed about Luke 16:24. He is. Are you?

But Caino hasn't said anything about Urantia on this topic. He quoted something that sounded like the epistle to the Romans practically word for word, and it sounded like you trashed him in response to that. If Caino wants to abide by Romans, I'm all for that. You should be too.

Lon, I don't dislike you, but I want to expect better of you on this. You aren't answering the questions or acknowledging points, you're skipping past hoping they'll be forgotten. Even one contradiction should raise a red flag...

Lon

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Caino

What Caino said there actually is backed up by scripture. In fact, he practically quoted scripture.
:nono: He quotes Urantia against Him Crucified and does not apologize for anything He says.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Assumptions. You are assuming one kind of death, I the other. Matthew 25:46 "Death" does not mean, by ANY necessity, cessation of the soul.

Now, I think it is obvious that it means "eternal death" and not "temporary death" here... so how is his taking the passage in Romans at face value usurping God? Have I missed something?
Because Caino doesn't believe scriptures UNLESS they support his Urantia book. That is the same way with every cult. Again, learn who the players are. A VAST majority of those who agree with you in this thread are cultists that do not at all support Biblical inerrancy. IOW, you cannot go 'protecting' or 'supporting' heretics without being seen as sympathetic to cults and heresy (damnable ones).

Imho, 1) you are not much of a heretic nor desire to be 2) you don't need to be giving heretics a glimmer of hope that in any way, ruins the words of God that they already decided on their own, is NOT His words. IOW, don't give them a reason to go their merry way to judgment. You are actually harming them, not helping a whit.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Glorydaz, can you answer William Tyndale for us then? If Abraham was alive and aware, at that time when Jesus spoke, then how did he prove the resurrection? As much as I've asked that question to quite a few people, I have never yet seen anyone answer. They all dodge, and evade, and pretend it wasn't asked.

Rather Jesus was "proving" the dead have not ceased being...just because their body is dead. The fact that He is their God shows they have being. In fact, Luke says, they live unto Him.

Luke 20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.

In Luke chapter 16, Jesus gives us a beautiful look into the place of the dead. Hades, Paradise, Abraham's Bosom, Sheol....those all speak of the place of waiting.

Lon

Anyone in Christ's audience would have recognized the "Abraham's Bosom" and the Greek Hades as being completely fictional settings (just as if I started a story that began with Santa's Toyshop at the North Pole.)
No Conservative Evangelical Fundamental believer will side with you on this. It may surprise you, and I hope it does, that you are in an extreme minority regarding this passage as far as Christians. As far as the world? Yeah, you are among good company. The question: Who are you willing to compromise? God or men. It must lean toward biblical revelation or toward men's sensibilities. NonChristians are very happy with the idea of annihilation. Atheists are resigned to it. Your 'sensitive' gesture, one way or the other, never makes more converts to Christianity, just 'more comfortable' rejecters. Think about that long and hard (please).
Granted that you are a couple thousand years (and a few hundred theologians) removed from that background, but you've also been offered solid scriptural references to not only prove what Christ and his audience would have as assumed givens, but also showing the details in the symbols Christ chose ... straight from the books of Moses, even.
And I showed you, point-blank, the Sadducees were wrong. The Pharisees got it right on this one.

So grouping yourself with any random person isn't really a fair comparison. A random person usually trusts their pastors and tradition to tell them straight and doesn't have the benefit of additional information. On the other hand, you have the benefit of education and specific scripture. It's the part where you didn't question or acknowledge the "precept upon precept" part that has me not sure what to think.
Others might be better educated (doubtful) but I'm reasonably intelligent and fairly confident. Appeals to authority or to someone supposedly 'smarter' aren't going to work.

Isaiah 28:13 KJV
(13) But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
Snippets, most often out of context, never ever bother me. Everyone who has EVER tried to talk me out of a belief, tends to never have the credential integrity for it. An internet search doesn't help much. I've been over study on this doctrine many times. I am sympathetic toward annihilationists BUT I am unconvinced of anywise a superior intellect, study integrity, or strong history of appeal. So 1) You can believe as you desire and have some little scriptural confidence, but to me, it doesn't look right. BECAUSE I am unmovingly convinced Luke 16:19-31 Luke 17:1-4 as a warning, only convinces me further that it is not just a story. You can 'assert' opposed, but that's all you've got. I believe you are wrong and can defend a reasoned response to why it is more likely true, not just a story, than not.

What I think is that it is quite possible that you will think whatever you want to think
Yep.

likely based upon the traditions you have chosen.
You can read through the thread. I've given a number of scriptures in it. It is awfully long now, with a lot of banter. It is all buried now. Often times, these forums are rather clearing houses of information, than reasoned and well thought and argued demonstrations.

If contradictions are created, you won't think about them, and if the resulting theology makes God a monster, you'll try not to think about that too much also.
Correct. I have a 'sense' of moral right and wrong. It came from somewhere. Logically, regardless of 'what happens next,' and seriously, none of my or your business, God is must be the source of that moral goodness and MUST necessarily possess it in perfection. "I" am the finite creature. As smart or wise as I think I am (and I do :( ), I am not God. My standards are not 'THE' standards. His are. Lest you protest, don't. We all assert our own sense of morality. It is part of our self-will and make-up. Mine HAS to be remolded. 1 John 3:2

You may lash out at someone that notices the discrepancy between "God is love" and "God has more hatred then any being in existence" ... which is a defense mechanism because you don't have another way of dealing with it.
:nono: I rather believe God is good and that I don't 'have' to be the one to defend Him. He has rocks for that, among other things. Rather, I'm only concerned (only) with being biblical, not 'emotional' or subjective.

But you're not willing to make adjustments on your side.
Goes both ways. ▲ Read ▲ Deference to a pagan does not make less pagans. There is no real sense you are helping them at all and may very well be hurting them. I did not come to Christ fearing eternal torment. I came because love drew me. Those without Christ are, imho, already living in this hell. If it weren't for saints and the presence of God, it'd be unbearable. In the end, hell will be all of us removed. It is already happening in society. Those flames, whatever they may be, may very well be flames of their own making and desire.
God does NOT have to annihilate one who was created otherwise. You are making a condition upon God before you'd accept Him. I have no such condition. Job 13:15

You're showing that now. You have preconceived ideas and aren't willing to consider that you may be mistaken
Not at all, I am sympathetic, and would be an annihilation proponent if I believed I could with any biblical integrity.

When your notions make Jesus plainly contradict Jesus, make him upset his own arguments as they are being made, that should be a flag that maybe there should be an adjustment on your side.
All of this he said/she said, goes both ways. You are actually more entrenched than I. I would believe what you believe in a moment if I felt it was biblically supported. I do not.

But Caino hasn't said anything about Urantia on this topic. He quoted something that sounded like the epistle to the Romans practically word for word, and it sounded like you trashed him in response to that. If Caino wants to abide by Romans, I'm all for that. You should be too.
:nono: I'm not for pick'n'choose theology. I'm for truth.

Lon, I don't dislike you, but I want to expect better of you on this.
As much as I care for people, I cannot and will not seek your approval foremost. I will rather seek God foremost. Allowing a nonChristian (by his own rejection of us), to dictate what the bible says to you, is a grave mistake. They may occasionally side with us, but we have nothing in common. 2 Corinthians 6:15
You aren't answering the questions or acknowledging points, you're skipping past hoping they'll be forgotten.
I think I'm actually better at this than you, simply because you don't line-item your responses like I do. :think:
Even one contradiction should raise a red flag...
Glad to hear it. Luke 16:19-31, imho, contradicts you. Let's talk about the Bible instead of our mercurial sensibilities.

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
life or death....really comes down to these in their ultimate sense.......

life or death....really comes down to these in their ultimate sense.......

The very concept of ECT is horrendous, yet some actually believe in such a 'god', which must reflect on some aspect of their own conscience, disturbed or twisted to believe such as 'just', while this also challenges other aspects of ethic and principles. My expounding of the inconsistencies of ECT (mostly on principle and other problems) were shared earlier in this thread here (blog portal on many posts addressing the subject), - my view remain basically the same.

Also important as we've covered are the ultimate conditions of 'life' and 'death', when considered, speak of a 'conscious existence' or one that is dis-integration of conscious existence, so that we see that 'death' defined in some passages speaks of a state of non-existence (extinction). In this view, we have the 'soul-death' concept, that a soul actually 'dies', as a full consequence of the total embrace of iniquity (the final harvest of willful and persistent sin, open rebellion), and that truly the wages of sin is 'death'. - this 'death' is not a prolonged or ceaseless state of eternal suffering, anguish or torment in a lake of fire, or anywhere. It is extinction of individual existence, the disintegration of the soul itself. The soul disintegrates and the energies and essences of the soul are absorbed back into the OverSoul of Creation, all elements return to their Source. That personality, that soul-unit is NO MORE. It DIES. So, a main 'crux' in this debate is what 'death' is, and HOW it is defined.

In any case,...as a spiritualist, I sometimes bounce from a form or universalism, to the 'soul-death' (annihilation) concept, but certainly CANNOT acccept the traditional concept of ECT in hellfire for all eternity, which is repugnant to all the virtues and values of 'God'.ECT is insanity, and its no wonder a good share in insane asylums have been so tormented by false religious teachings such as ECT in hellfire heaping coals of fire upon guilt ridden souls that they would as soon committ suicide, but still be consigned to the fires of hell, for such an act as well, so its a no-win situation.

In any case,...what passes off as 'religious truth' is a stench in the nostril of divine Love, and an affront to wisdom, let alone real justice which has within it mercy, forebearance, forgiveness and long suffering virtue which grants to all the space and time needed for a soul to choose repentance, before allowing such a soul to choose a final death or fate of non-existence (to say nothing of eternal torture in hellfire)

My former commentary stands,...and this is pretty much the same circle of wagons, not covering too much new ground except in spirals. Its still circular beyond what terms, meanings and values we can actually identify, relate, and conclude in a rational context.

Granted, there are other schools among spiritualists and spiritists that have spirit-communications which fill in the blanks that traditional schools lack or do not seem to resolve, so the Bible is NOT the only religious book or source that has truth or knowledge on these subjects. There is MUCH info. out there and research in these fields, soul-life, the afterlife, NDE's, OBE's, spirit-communications, mediumship, etc. While exploring these dimensions there are some things I dont know, some still speculating on/researching, and some principles that seem just, right, loving and universal in nature concerning soul progress and destiny. Its an awesome subject. Revelation is progression but some laws and principles are both universal and eternal. If a doctrine or dogma violates some basic principle or law, it much be questioned and challenged, since truth will not violate logic, reason or conscience.

glorydaz

You've made an assumption that men can live (and think, and be aware) without benefit of a living body. We already have a handful of passages (some of which I provided Lon already) that tell us that they do not.

Yet you don't hear what Jesus said quite clearly that God is not the God of the dead but of the living? How can you not understand what is so clearly stated. :think:

"Soul" is a synonym for the whole man, the living, thinking, breathing man that is aware that he is. Yes, souls die. Where does it say that souls do not die? and the corresponding question is why should anyone think that one would continue to live as a spirit if they were slain? We aren't called spirits. Spirits are called spirits. Psalm 104:4 "Who maketh his angels spirits; his minsters a flaming fire:"

I can understand your confusion. Not only is man a living soul, but he is triune with a spirit, soul, and body. When Paul says forty souls were lost at sea, he is speaking of their physical life. The "breath of life" belongs to the body. It is the body that dies and it's the body that is resurrected.

If souls sleep after death, how is it that they can cry out with a loud voice?

Revelation 6:9-10
And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?​

The soul is the who of us....our thinking our emotions and our reasoning. Our spirit is the means with which we communicate with God. Those in Christ will never die (although our body will....unless the Lord comes first and we are changed). Otherwise, our bodies will be resurrected. As Paul says, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Don't you believe that?

Lon

▲There you go ▲ Rosenritter (just above Glory, she beat me to 'submit'). It is your call from pagans to abandon the scriptures and the harsh God of the Bible.

According to them, as I said, He cannot be trusted or followed. Your 'deference' to them causes them to disdain Him

"comfortably" imho. Between the two of us? They reject us both BUT hope you will join them. That is the only difference,

I believe, you are making. To me, it only leads to confusion. The only ones I'm interested to talk with about these discussions

for the most part, are Christians. The lost are merely looking for 'yet another excuse' to follow their flesh and interests of those bits of flesh.

glorydaz

Anyone in Christ's audience would have recognized the "Abraham's Bosom" and the Greek Hades as being completely fictional settings (just as if I started a story that began with Santa's Toyshop at the North Pole.) Granted that you are a couple thousand years (and a few hundred theologians) removed from that background, but you've also been offered solid scriptural references to not only prove what Christ and his audience would have as assumed givens, but also showing the details in the symbols Christ chose ... straight from the books of Moses, even.

Oh dear. You honestly think our Lord Jesus Christ would repeat a story akin to Santa?

No, He specifically was revealing a great and wonderful truth...one that had been under a cloud for thousands of years. He was clarifying the fact that Abraham was not gone...just waiting until he would join our Lord in His kingdom. What a shame you don't see that. Soul sleep is one all cults insist on....because they refuse to accept the great hope of eternal life. :sigh:

What about Moses and Elijah appearing on the Mount of Transfiguration? Was that just an illusion?