Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

KingdomRose

Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) biblical or not?

Which verses in the Bible support ECT and which verses in the bible support the doctrine that the wicked perish instead?

The doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment is not Biblical. "Eternal Torment" is, but there is no consciousness involved. What does the Greek word for "torment" actually mean? It comes from the root word meaning "jailer." What does a jailer do? He severely restricts someone's movements....he basically immobilizes a person. The person can't do the things he normally does. So when the scripture says, "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented [basani'zo] day and night forever and ever," (Revelation 20:10, NASB) it means that the devil and his minions will be permanently prevented from doing anything.

The word is also used in regard to a boat not being able to sail as it is used to doing (Matthew 14:24; Mark 6:48). It was being restrained, as the devil will be. Eternally restrained, because he will be dead. He will perish, along with everyone who chooses not to follow God.

Just as the lake of fire is symbolic of eternal destruction in Revelation, the mention of "the fire prepared for the devil & his angels" (Matthew 25:41) is symbolic as well, meaning complete annihilation. Along with that is also "Gehenna," which Jesus used a few times to demonstrate what happens to the wicked (Matthew 5:22,29,30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33)---they are obliterated just like something thrown on the burning trash heap. They will no longer exist.

Luke 16:19-31 is quoted by many to prove the existence of a literal hell-fire. But it is far from such an idea. It is a metaphorical illustration of a greater issue that Jesus wanted to confront the Pharisees with. Not one thing in that parable can be taken literally. First of all, Jesus used the word "Hades" when saying where the "Rich Man" was. That Greek word means the grave, and only the grave. (The death of the Rich Man signified a great change in the situation of the Pharisees, in their relation to God. They were no longer in His favor, because they weren't spiritually feeding the people. The death of Lazarus also meant a change for them; the common people who accepted Christ were deemed dead to their old ways [Romans 6:11].) The fire that Jesus wove into the story signified the discomfort of the irresponsible religious leaders because they were being exposed by Jesus and his out-spoken truth about them. The great chasm signified the rift between the religious leaders, and the common people ("Lazarus") who accepted Christ. Much more can be said, but it becomes clear that the existence of a fiery hell is spurious, erroneous, bogus.

On the other hand, there are quite a few verses that say clearly what will happen to the wicked:

"...Fear Him who is able to DESTROY both soul and body in [Gehenna]." (Matt.10:28, NASB) Being consigned to Gehenna refers to utter destruction from which no resurrection is possible.

"The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2Peter 3:9, NASB)

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16, NASB)

[Jesus will be] "dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal DESTRUCTION..." (2Thessalonians 1:8,9, NASB)

Now to me this shows quite plainly that the wicked will be unconsciously DEAD forever, not continuing to live on in a bar-b-que pit.

way 2 go

The eternal punishment is eternal destruction. The question was "Which verses support the doctrine of eternal torment and which verse support the doctrine that the wicked will perish?"
You haven't shown any verses that say that the eternal punishment is to be eternal torment. Daniel 12:2 even says that only SOME will have everlasting life. If the doctrine of eternal torture is correct then Daniel 12:2 is wrong, because ALL would have everlasting life, some in bliss and the rest in hellish torture. Since Daniel 12:2 is not wrong, then the doctrine of hellish torture must be wrong.
:nono:
Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

2 GROUPS OF PEOPLE
some to everlasting life AND some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mat 25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Maybe. The person could be alive and experiencing shame and contempt, BUT they would have to have eternal life in order to be eternally alive and experiencing shame and contempt. The verse says only SOME are raised to eternal life.
one of your mistakes is
you won't admit that there is such a thing as
being spiritually dead
then you get everything wrong from there

Luk 16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
Luk_20:38 Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him."
Joh_5:25 "Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
The other way to look at this is that some are raised to eternal life, and the others are not. The ones that are not raised to eternal life will perish. (The Bible talks about the second death, for those who do not receive eternal life)

The right way to look at it is believers to everlasting life, and unbelievers to shame and everlasting contempt.

So the shame and contempt is the shame and contempt of living people for those who reject God. Hitler is rotting in the grave right now. As a German I have shame for what he did, and contempt for him. Hitler is dead, he is not experiencing shame and contempt, but there is shame and contempt for him. I hope that helps explain my belief.
shame and everlasting contempt for believers :vomit:

unbelievers have shame and everlasting contempt.

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Timotheos

2 GROUPS OF PEOPLE
some to everlasting life AND some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Mat 25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

one of your mistakes is
you won't admit that there is such a thing as
being spiritually dead
then you get everything wrong from there

Luk 16:30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
Luk_20:38 Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living, for all live to him."
Joh_5:25 "Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

The right way to look at it is believers to everlasting life, and unbelievers to shame and everlasting contempt.

shame and everlasting contempt for believers :vomit:

unbelievers have shame and everlasting contempt.

Please refer to my previous post which explains Daniel 12:2. As a reminder, that verse says that only SOME will receive eternal life. If you are correct, then ALL will receive eternal life, some in heavenly bliss and the rest in hellish torture. That contradicts what Daniel 12:2 says. I have a choice to make, I can either believe YOU, or I can believe what the BIBLE says. I will believe what the Bible says, even though I can see that you really really like the doctrine of eternal torment.

Timotheos

The doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment is not Biblical. "Eternal Torment" is, but there is no consciousness involved. What does the Greek word for "torment" actually mean? It comes from the root word meaning "jailer." What does a jailer do? He severely restricts someone's movements....he basically immobilizes a person. The person can't do the things he normally does. So when the scripture says, "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented [basani'zo] day and night forever and ever," (Revelation 20:10, NASB) it means that the devil and his minions will be permanently prevented from doing anything.

The word is also used in regard to a boat not being able to sail as it is used to doing (Matthew 14:24; Mark 6:48). It was being restrained, as the devil will be. Eternally restrained, because he will be dead. He will perish, along with everyone who chooses not to follow God.

Just as the lake of fire is symbolic of eternal destruction in Revelation, the mention of "the fire prepared for the devil & his angels" (Matthew 25:41) is symbolic as well, meaning complete annihilation. Along with that is also "Gehenna," which Jesus used a few times to demonstrate what happens to the wicked (Matthew 5:22,29,30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33)---they are obliterated just like something thrown on the burning trash heap. They will no longer exist.

Luke 16:19-31 is quoted by many to prove the existence of a literal hell-fire. But it is far from such an idea. It is a metaphorical illustration of a greater issue that Jesus wanted to confront the Pharisees with. Not one thing in that parable can be taken literally. First of all, Jesus used the word "Hades" when saying where the "Rich Man" was. That Greek word means the grave, and only the grave. (The death of the Rich Man signified a great change in the situation of the Pharisees, in their relation to God. They were no longer in His favor, because they weren't spiritually feeding the people. The death of Lazarus also meant a change for them; the common people who accepted Christ were deemed dead to their old ways [Romans 6:11].) The fire that Jesus wove into the story signified the discomfort of the irresponsible religious leaders because they were being exposed by Jesus and his out-spoken truth about them. The great chasm signified the rift between the religious leaders, and the common people ("Lazarus") who accepted Christ. Much more can be said, but it becomes clear that the existence of a fiery hell is spurious, erroneous, bogus.

On the other hand, there are quite a few verses that say clearly what will happen to the wicked:

"...Fear Him who is able to DESTROY both soul and body in [Gehenna]." (Matt.10:28, NASB) Being consigned to Gehenna refers to utter destruction from which no resurrection is possible.

"The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2Peter 3:9, NASB)

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16, NASB)

[Jesus will be] "dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal DESTRUCTION..." (2Thessalonians 1:8,9, NASB)

Now to me this shows quite plainly that the wicked will be unconsciously DEAD forever, not continuing to live on in a bar-b-que pit.

Exactly. Jesus said it clearly. Fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in gehenna. It makes a lot of sense to believe HIM rather than these nobodys who claim that our souls will be tortured alive forever in hell.

way 2 go

Please refer to my previous post which explains Daniel 12:2. As a reminder, that verse says that only SOME will receive eternal life.
yes believers receive eternal life

If you are correct, then ALL will receive eternal life
only you would think eternity in hell would be eternal life

I believe in spiritually dead
Mat_8:22 And Jesus said to him, "Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead."

spiritually dead bury the physically dead

the spiritually dead go to shame and everlasting contempt.

way 2 go

:darwinsm:

"tossed" and "toiling" in the lake of fire still works but torment is better

in your case heaven is symbolic
and everlasting life is symbolic too

Luke 16:19-31 is quoted by many to prove the existence of a literal hell-fire. But it is far from such an idea. It is a metaphorical illustration of a greater issue that Jesus wanted to confront the Pharisees with. Not one thing in that parable can be taken literally. First of all, Jesus used the word "Hades" when saying where the "Rich Man" was. That Greek word means the grave, and only the grave.
Luk 16:24"for I am tormented in this flame. "

(The death of the Rich Man signified a great change in the situation of the Pharisees, in their relation to God. They were no longer in His favor, because they weren't spiritually feeding the people.
and now its up to you and the 144,000

The death of Lazarus also meant a change for them; the common people who accepted Christ were deemed dead to their old ways [Romans 6:11].) The fire that Jesus wove into the story signified the discomfort of the irresponsible religious leaders because they were being exposed by Jesus and his out-spoken truth about them. The great chasm signified the rift between the religious leaders, and the common people ("Lazarus") who accepted Christ. Much more can be said, but it becomes clear that the existence of a fiery hell is spurious, erroneous, bogus.

naming Lazarus makes it a recounting of an event that actually happened

your spirit will go on

body and soul being destroyed in the lake of fire
Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet doing signs before it, (by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast), and those who had worshiped his image. The two were thrown alive into the Lake of Fire burning with brimstone.

Joh 3:18 He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.

for you shame and everlasting contempt.

Dan 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to

Timotheos

yes believers receive eternal life
And non believers will not receive eternal life, therefore they cannot be conscious forever in hell. The Bible specifically states that they will perish.

only you would think eternity in hell would be eternal life
I am not the one who believes that the wicked will be conscious forever in hell. If the wicked are conscious in hell forever, then they have eternal life in hell. The Bible says that they do not have eternal life, therefore they cannot be conscious of torture forever in hell. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Do they have eternal life or not? If they have eternal life, then Daniel 2:12 is wrong that only some are raised to eternal life. If they do not have eternal life, then the doctrine of eternal conscious torture is wrong, since they are not conscious for all eternity.

The Bible specifically states that the wicked will perish and will be no more, therefore they cannot be alive forever in torment in hell.

way 2 go

And non believers will not receive eternal life, therefore they cannot be conscious forever in hell. The Bible specifically states that they will perish.
Like I said only you would think eternity in hell would be eternal life
I would consider being in hell spiritually dead and in eternal punishment .

I am not the one who believes that the wicked will be conscious forever in hell.
that's me

If the wicked are conscious in hell forever, then they have eternal life in hell.
no

Mat_25:30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'
The Bible says that they do not have eternal life, therefore they cannot be conscious of torture forever in hell
....The rich man also died and was buried,
Luk 16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Do they have eternal life or not?

Isa 14:9 The place of death is excited that you are coming. Sheol is waking the spirits of all the leaders of the earth for you. Sheol is making the kings stand up from their thrones to meet you.
Isa 14:10 They will make fun of you, saying, "Now you are as dead as we are. Now you are just like us."

If they have eternal life, then Daniel 2:12 is wrong that only some are raised to eternal life. If they do not have eternal life, then the doctrine of eternal conscious torture is wrong, since they are not conscious for all eternity.
it does not say all shall awake to everlasting life
which is how your trying to read it
making Christians suffer shame and everlasting contempt.

The Bible specifically states that the wicked will perish and will be no more, therefore they cannot be alive forever in torment in hell.
so , every body dies

Luk 16:22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried,
Luk 16:23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
A parable is just that, a 'story' used to illustrate a lesson

A parable is just that, a 'story' used to illustrate a lesson

Hi Freelight,

Pardon me for jumping in here...

Why do you say that? How do you know it's a parable?

Hi Derf,

I tried to find my previous post you were responding to (maybe from another thread) :think: - anyways, there are quite a few people and bible commentators that believe its just a 'parable'...with supports. Now what proof do you have that it really took place...or is somehow an authentic story? (corrobating historical evidence? 2 or 3 other confirming accounts anywhere?...for starters). Weighing the evidence in either view is the way to go, then use your own logic, reason and spiritual intelligence ;)

There's no indication that it ends, either, except that for some reason the rich man thought Lazarus would be able to do something he couldn't do himself, which was to get out of the place.

Well, if it cant be assumed either way, let reason and wisdom afford the best 'interpretation'. As you may have read, my views challenging ECT are shared here thru-out, the beginnings cataloged here. The lesson in the story is about suffering brought upon oneself from 'selfishness', refusing to serve/love another. That its a 'parable' is also reflective of the 'belief' that paradise/hades were side by side in the underworld, as some apocryphal works describe Jesus going down there and liberating the saints, taking them up into heaven, while 'hades' (hell) is supposedly still under the earth, perhaps being the lake of fire (again, pick your metaphors).

So what karma awaits the one that rejects the sacrifice of the eternal and sinless son of God?

Your question is built on a presupposition however. Note, the universal law of action/consequence (karma) still continues, regarding every action, so if you want to throw in some matter of one accepting or rejecting something (note these are proposed by your own 'terms'), that will depend on the nature and effects of any given decision. Divine love and wisdom rules and Love's will is to save/restore, but the laws/principles that govern cause/effect still hold, as long as any kind of action has any conditioning or determining power. What is sown, is reaped,....action-sequence-consequence. When Love reigns, the law(all laws) are fulfilled, and THERE is 'heaven' (such a 'realm' is not necessarily localized anywhere, but where 'God' IS).

More about the story of Lazarus being a parable here.

Ben Masada

The bible does not say eternal conscious torment....to say it does shows a lying deceitful spirit.

It says eternal punishment

Also, eternal punishment would be a kind of hyperbolism as man is concerned, considering that there is nothing eternal about man either in terms of punishment or rewards if we taken into consideration that all Divine promises are conditional.

Timotheos

Luke 16:19 to end.

Hmmm, the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man.
Do you think that this parable is talking about the final judgment? The rich man's brothers are still alive, so how could it? This parable is talking about the intermediate state of the dead, not the final state.

Speaking of the Gospel of Luke, Jesus said in Luke 13:3 "Unless you repent, you will likewise perish."

What do you think is the fate of people who refuse to repent of their sins? Do you think that they will perish, or do you think that they will be sent to hell to experience eternal conscious torment?

Timotheos

that's me
That's interesting, because Jesus Christ said in Luke 13:3 that those who refuse to repent will perish. So tell me again what you believe the fate is of those who refuse to repent. Will they perish as Jesus said, or will they go to hell to experience eternal conscious torment?

As for me, I agree with Jesus Christ.

lifeisgood

Hmmm, the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man.
Do you think that this parable is talking about the final judgment? The rich man's brothers are still alive, so how could it? This parable is talking about the intermediate state of the dead, not the final state.

Speaking of the Gospel of Luke, Jesus said in Luke 13:3 "Unless you repent, you will likewise perish."

What do you think is the fate of people who refuse to repent of their sins? Do you think that they will perish, or do you think that they will be sent to hell to experience eternal conscious torment?

For me talking about those who have repented (Abraham's bosom) and those who have not (the rich man tormented in this flame.)

31 And Abraham said unto him [tormented in this flame], If they hear not Moses and the prophets [if they do not repent by their preaching about God], neither will they be persuaded [they will not repent and will be with you as soon as they die], though one rose from the dead [they will not even believe when Jesus Christ resurrect from the dead].

lifeisgood

All I can say is:
- God is Just.
- God makes no mistake.
- I believe Jesus and He said Hell does exist.

How is it going to be, I'll leave that to God.

But as Hell was not created for man, the ones who go there, go there by their own volition and rejection of the only way of NOT going there --- Jesus Christ and His work on the Cross of Christ.

Timotheos

All I can say is:
- God is Just.
- God makes no mistake.
- I believe Jesus and He said Hell does exist.

How is it going to be, I'll leave that to God.

But as Hell was not created for man, the ones who go there, go there by their own volition and rejection of the only way of NOT going there --- Jesus Christ and His work on the Cross of Christ.

Thanks. So far nobody has answered my question. It seems like such an easy question. Jesus said that "Unless you repent, you will likewise perish", so the obvious answer to the question "What happens to those who refuse to repent?" is "They will perish". So far, not one person has gotten this question right. Weird, huh?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
'perish' appears to mean 'perish'.......

'perish' appears to mean 'perish'.......

Thanks. So far nobody has answered my question. It seems like such an easy question. Jesus said that "Unless you repent, you will likewise perish", so the obvious answer to the question "What happens to those who refuse to repent?" is "They will perish". So far, not one person has gotten this question right. Weird, huh?

Its coming down to the 'definition' of 'words' again,....and what is really meant by 'perish', specifically in the original language and the meaning in proper 'context'. Then we have to consider the constitution of man, and which parts if any are imperishable and what parts are perishable, if man is composed of both to any degree. Here we get deeper into the metaphysics of soul and spirit, so these elements have to be considered.

On the face of it, some passages do imply 'destruction', 'perishing', 'death', but how total are these terms and do they apply to the entire soul-entity and personality, to the point of 'total dis-integration', whereby a soul is 'wiped out' of existence? The 'second death' would appear to be a 'transformation' on a metaphysical level, while the first death refers to the normal course of physical death. Is the transformation of the soul a 'disintegration' into 'nothingness' (soul-death/conditional immortality) or transformation into a new creation, a purified resurrected soul (as some Universalists claim?). So we have these two options, besides ECT in hellfire.

Timotheus,...could you list all the passages that speak of 'perishing', 'destruction', or 'death' of the unrepentant, supporting 'conditional immortality'? I know we've covered many already. I forget if we discussed your view of 'free will' and where it plays into this, and if our own 'freedom of choice' is the determiner of IF we receive eternal life or if we perish. In other words do you believe it is our 'free will' alone that determines the soul's destiny? - either life (survival) or death, so that is each individual soul is responsible for its own decisions.

Timotheos

Well, there is no way to post ALL of the scripture that supports the doctrine that the wicked will be destroyed, I would have to post nearly the entire Bible to do that. Here is a partial list:
Psalm 37:10
In just a little while, the wicked will be no more, though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there.
Psalm 37:20
But the wicked will perish, the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures, they vanish - like smoke they vanish away.
Psalm 37:38
But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed, the future of the wicked will be cut off.
Ezekiel 18:4
Behold, all souls are mine, the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine, the soul who sins shall die.
Malachi 4:1
For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.
Matthew 3:12
He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire
Matthew 7:13
The gate is wide that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many
Matthew 10:28
Fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna
Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will likewise perish
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life
Romans 1:12
For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.
Romans 5:12
Sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
1 Corinthians 15:55-59
O death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
Philippians 1:28
This is a sure to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.
1 Thessalonians 5:3
While people are saying "there is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them...
2 Thessalonians 1:9-10
They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day...
Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
James 1:15
Sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.
2 Peter 2:1 ...bringing upon themselves swift destruction.
2 Peter 2:3
And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.
2 Peter 2:6
By turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly,
2 Peter 2:12...will also be destroyed in their destruction.
1 John 5:11-13
And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Well, there is no way to post ALL of the scripture that supports the doctrine that the wicked will be destroyed, I would have to post nearly the entire Bible to do that. Here is a partial list:
Psalm 37:10
In just a little while, the wicked will be no more, though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there.
Psalm 37:20
But the wicked will perish, the enemies of the Lord are like the glory of the pastures, they vanish - like smoke they vanish away.
Psalm 37:38
But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed, the future of the wicked will be cut off.
Ezekiel 18:4
Behold, all souls are mine, the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine, the soul who sins shall die.
Malachi 4:1
For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch.
Matthew 3:12
He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire
Matthew 7:13
The gate is wide that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many
Matthew 10:28
Fear the one who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna
Luke 13:3
No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will likewise perish
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life
Romans 1:12
For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.
Romans 5:12
Sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
1 Corinthians 15:55-59
O death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
Philippians 1:28
This is a sure to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.
1 Thessalonians 5:3
While people are saying "there is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them...
2 Thessalonians 1:9-10
They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day...
Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
James 1:15
Sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.
2 Peter 2:1 ...bringing upon themselves swift destruction.
2 Peter 2:3
And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.
2 Peter 2:6
By turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly,
2 Peter 2:12...will also be destroyed in their destruction.
1 John 5:11-13
And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

Super, now could you address my inquiry about 'free will'?

Timotheos

Super, now could you address my inquiry about 'free will'?

Sorry, as you know, I'm a bit distracted right now.

freelight said:
In other words do you believe it is our 'free will' alone that determines the soul's destiny? - either life (survival) or death, so that is each individual soul is responsible for its own decisions.
Tough question. I believe that sin, by it's nature, causes death. James said "sin when it is fully grown brings forth death", and Paul said "sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin". So a person who is "in" sin will naturally perish. But then again, God is capable of removing our sins, He is capable and willing. He offers forgiveness of sins, which removes the penalty of sin, death. We retain the freedom to choose to accept this removal of sins or reject it. It is not free will that determines whether a person has eternal life, it is whether or not sin remains. But it is free will that determines whether a person will accept the forgiveness of sin that God offers.