Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Timotheos

It simply doesn't make any sense that God would wake all those wicked from the dead just to make them dead again. He has told us that they would suffer eternally and that DOES make sense. We just need to believe Him.

I'm sorry that it doesn't make sense to you. It is what the Bible says will happen. It doesn't make sense to me that God would send the wicked to Hell where they are tortured alive forever while they are dead, then resurrect them, then send them BACK to Hell for a second round of eternal torture.

He has told us that they will perish, He has told us that the wages of sin is death, He has told us that the way is wide that leads to destruction, we just need to believe Him. He never said that the wicked will go to Hell when they die where they will be tortured alive forever while they are dead. I believe God, I do not believe you. But I don't care what Hell you want to believe in. It doesn't affect me. All I can do is point out to you what the Bible says. And it doesn't support your fairy-tale-horror-story of Eternal Torture in Hell.

God's Truth

Yes, On Judgment Day.
John 5:28-29

Those who are judged to be outside of Christ will go to their second death, they will perish just as the Bible says.

The scriptures say that all will be raised immortal. How will the wicked die if they are raised in immortal bodies?

Aimiel

I'm sorry that it doesn't make sense to you. It is what the Bible says will happen.
Don't be... it doesn't make sense to OTHER sensible persons, also. :think:
It doesn't make sense to me that God would send the wicked to Hell where they are tortured alive forever while they are dead, then resurrect them, then send them BACK to Hell for a second round of eternal torture.
Actually, you're right, which is why the dead are held in prison in hell until judgment, which is when they along with Satan, Death and Hell as well as all other evil spirits are relegated to the fire that never goes out which will torment them forever: the Lake of Fire.
He has told us that they will perish, He has told us that the wages of sin is death, He has told us that the way is wide that leads to destruction, we just need to believe Him. He never said that the wicked will go to Hell when they die where they will be tortured alive forever while they are dead.
Actually, He did, you simply skimmed that part of The Holy Scriptures and believe what you want.
I believe God, I do not believe you.
Same here.
But I don't care what Hell you want to believe in.
I don't believe in hell, I do know that it exists, since The One Whom I do believe in (Jesus) described it thoroughly while He was on the earth and warned us that we should even go so far as to cut off one of our arms or legs rather than enter that place.
It doesn't affect me.
It does: since you're the one spreading non-Biblical lies regarding people's eternal destiny. :duh:
All I can do is point out to you what the Bible says.
Why do you only point to Scriptures which seem to support your belief, then? You never acknowledge or come to understand Scriptures which dis-prove your theories.
And it doesn't support your fairy-tale-horror-story of Eternal Torture in Hell.
I've never said such. I've always said that Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire, since Hell is an evil spirit, as well as a place under the earth. The eternal torment takes place in the Lake of Fire. You need to study your Bible and get your stories straight. :readthis:

Timotheos

The scriptures say that all will be raised immortal. How will the wicked die if they are raised in immortal bodies?
The scriptures do not say that those who will perish will be raised imperishable. Only those who are in Christ will be raised imperishable. The rest perish just as the Bible says.

Timotheos

Don't be... it doesn't make sense to OTHER sensible persons, also. :think:Actually, you're right, which is why the dead are held in prison in hell until judgment, which is when they along with Satan, Death and Hell as well as all other evil spirits are relegated to the fire that never goes out which will torment them forever: the Lake of Fire. Actually, He did, you simply skimmed that part of The Holy Scriptures and believe what you want.Same here.I don't believe in hell, I do know that it exists, since The One Whom I do believe in (Jesus) described it thoroughly while He was on the earth and warned us that we should even go so far as to cut off one of our arms or legs rather than enter that place.It does: since you're the one spreading non-Biblical lies regarding people's eternal destiny. :duh:Why do you only point to Scriptures which seem to support your belief, then? You never acknowledge or come to understand Scriptures which dis-prove your theories.I've never said such. I've always said that Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire, since Hell is an evil spirit, as well as a place under the earth. The eternal torment takes place in the Lake of Fire. You need to study your Bible and get your stories straight. :readthis:

You people keep changing your story willy nilly. Hell is a spirit now? How is a Bible believer supposed to keep up with all of your fables?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Love makes whole......

Love makes whole......

The scriptures do not say that those who will perish will be raised imperishable. Only those who are in Christ will be raised imperishable. The rest perish just as the Bible says.

Beyond all the technical definitions, the concept of ECT is deplorable and horrific, which is why many reject it. My views on ECT shared previously here. It remains that Infinite LOVE does all its power to save, heal, redeem, restore, encourage, empower souls to fulfill their purpose and destiny, for such is Love's nature and will. A soul that has wholly chosen against life, love, truth and all that is good, may reach a point of no return, where sin whole-heartedly embraced results in real 'death' (disintegration), non-existence, negation. These souls do not burn or suffer forever in a lake of fire or hell-like state, but actually become no more. They perish.

There are other views/possibilities such as universalism, reincarnation, and 'eternal progression' for all. Love does all in its power to fulfill itself, notwithstanding the liberties of free will, so that 'extinction' or 'final death' is more tenable than ECT, which condemns souls to an eternity of endless torment and suffering to no end, which reflects not a God of love, but a merciless, illogical and insane 'god'.

pj

God's Truth

I have scripture that says the dead will be raised imperishable.

1 Corinthians 15:52 in a moment, in the blinking of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

Show scripture that say the wicked will not be raised imperishable.

Aimiel

1 Corinthians 15:52 in a moment, in the blinking of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

:thumb:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Prove that the Bible is nonsense then. Show me the verse that says the wicked go to Hell when they die where they are tortured alive forever, silly boy.

We have given you these verses over and over. You are dismissive and not seriously wrestling with the biblical, historical, orthodox view.

To google you go...we have better things to do...:readthis:

Timotheos

I haven't seen you guys post any verse that says the wicked go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever. I'm not dismissive. I'm just asking, if you are so sure, so sure that I can be called foolish, show the proof. If you are so right, it should be easy. It isn't too much to ask why you believe what you believe. I've given the proof of what I believe. And obviously I've been to Google. The defense of eternal torture is embarrassingly weak. Logical fallacies are just accepted when it comes to hell. Your side has been dismissive, not me. Read their posts. Look at how they act. I can't even say what they are, it would be vulgar. Its sad, the depths they sink to.

Timotheos

Psalm 37:20 "The wicked will perish". The passage you quoted is talking about Christians, not those who are perishing.

God's Truth

Psalm 37:20 "The wicked will perish". The passage you quoted is talking about Christians, not those who are perishing.

You did not give a scripture that says what you say. You did not give a scripture that says the wicked will rise with mortal bodies.

God's Truth

Are you sure perish means not exist?

Read this scripture.

Psalm 92:9 For surely your enemies, LORD, surely your enemies will perish; all evildoers will be scattered.

From this scripture, it shows perish could mean to suffer destruction or ruin. We see that perish could not mean not exist, because the scripture says they were scattered.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Tim fails to recognize the semantic range of meaning of words, all relevant verses exegeted in context, etc. He has a preconceived idea and twists verses to fit it.