Is rape "about" sex?

glassjester

Seems sex is a obvious factor but not an exclusive one.

Yes. I agree.

It is the common theme in all instances of rape, though.
Whereas anger, revenge, and violence may be an aspect of some rape cases; sex is an aspect of all rape cases (even the ones that include a desire for dominance).

Rape is a crime of lust.

quip

BANNED
Banned
from your first link:

x Misconception

Sexual assault is sex.

✔ Truth

Sexual assault is an act of violence, not sex.

roman polanski drugged a thirteen year old girl and raped her, non-violently

bill cosby drugged and raped his victims, non-violently

Subduing with drugs with intent to rape could still be considered to some degree a violent act, the same with intimidation/domination. All victims are left with psychological scars...if not physical.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Subduing with drugs with intent to rape could still be considered some degree violence, the same with intimidation/domination.

no

violence is violence

quip said:
All victims are left with psychological scars...if not physical.

iirc, some of cosby's victims were initially unaware that anything wrong had happened

glassjester

The first link simply states rape is "not about sex," without any reference to actual motives of actual rapists.

The second link cites interviews with actual rapists, and in almost every single case, they did it because they wanted to have sex with that particular person.

So what's your verdict on this, Quip?
What seems to be the truth?
Do rapists rape primarily because they want sex, or primarily because they want power?

glassjester

Power via the sexual act.

Your opinion on the matter seems to completely defy the evidence presented in the second link that you provided.

That link, by the way, is the only one that cited actual motivations of actual rapists.
Everything else I'm reading on this just asserts that rape is committed for power.

glassjester

Yes way.

From your link:
1)A married man raped his 10-year old niece after getting drunk and coming home:

“Later, I regretted so much for having done such an act. I think I committed this crime because I was drunk and because of the sexual urge that I had since I had already separated from my wife because of her unfaithfulness.”

3)” She was attractive, sexy, beautiful, and seductive. On that day, she was in a miniskirt and the clothing was tight on the body. Her lipsticks were red ‘hot,’ and she was proud. I was stronger and more robust than her, so I overpowered her. I was drunk and did not know I was wronging her.”

6)” The woman was wearing a transparent cloth, and immediately after she greeted me, my body got erected. I tried to seduce her, but she refused to abide by my views. My wife had left for her parents’ house the previous week, and since I was used to performing sex with her always I had a lot of sexual urge.”

quip

BANNED
Banned
Your opinion on the matter seems to completely defy the evidence presented in the second link that you provided.

That link, by the way, is the only one that cited actual motivations of actual rapists.
Everything else I'm reading on this just asserts that rape is committed for power.

Well, everyone (more/less) harbors sexual impulses; not so with power issues. Deadly combo.

glassjester

That's just 3 examples.

14 of the 20 examples were primarily done for sexual gratification.
Three of them, the author of the blog lists as "unclear."
And three seemed to be done out of anger (but obviously still involved sex).

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Well, everyone (more/less) harbors sexual impulses; not so with power issues. Deadly combo.

Could be harbored sexual impulses because of social rejection and the violent impulse takes over to satisfy the sexual impulse. Really, I don't think it is a one size fits all subject, different things motivate different people. We all can agree these are all deviant behaviors no matter the motivator but, I think that to try to find a root cause that fits every situation is not possible.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Could be harbored sexual impulses because of social rejection and the violent impulse takes over to satisfy the sexual impulse. Really, I don't think it is a one size fits all subject, different things motivate different people. We all can agree these are all deviant behaviors no matter the motivator but, I think that to try to find a root cause that fits every situation is not possible.

bingo! :first: