Theology Club: Is MAD doctrine correct?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I did not say that it was. You assumed that. I was just asking if the KJV is not good enough, which translation do you use?

Some of your friends are KJVO and consider it perfect, contrary to the evidence. KJV adds another interpretative step since we need to also figure out which old English words have changed over the centuries to now.

I am willing to consider any major evangelical version including KJV.

www.biblegateway.com

Despite strengths and weaknesses (pros and cons to functional vs formal equivalence with no version free of some bias or mixing of philosophies....more literal is not always more accurate since Greek and English have different idioms, etc.), one could consider KJV, NKJV, ESV, NASB, HCSB, NLT, etc.).

If you must rant, do what I do...expose the JW/WT NWT as a sectarian perversion that removes the Deity of Christ. Attacking godly, capable evangelical translations and translators is misguided.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
It is a simple question to answer if "the Bible" is your final authority. Which "the Bible" is your final authority?

Holy Scripture is my final authority.

There is a difference between "bible" and "scripture," I hope you know.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
It is a simple question to answer if "the Bible" is your final authority. Which "the Bible" is your final authority?

Trick question....no one Bible, especially KJV, is the final authority. God has allowed us to need to dig deeper than reading a cartoon. Saying KJV is your final authority is begging the question (same arguments could be used for ESV-only) and still does not remove the need for interpretation. Mormons interpret the same KJV differently than you and I in Jn. 10, etc.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Holy Scripture is my final authority.

There is a difference between "bible" and "scripture," I hope you know.

Even Jesus used LXX and NT writers quoted it under inspiration of the Spirit despite it being an imperfect translation. They called it the Word of God since minor issues do not change belief or practice. KJVO have even gone as far as denying the LXX exists?!

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some of your friends are KJVO and consider it perfect, contrary to the evidence. KJV adds another interpretative step since we need to also figure out which old English words have changed over the centuries to now.

I am willing to consider any major evangelical version including KJV.

www.biblegateway.com

Despite strengths and weaknesses (pros and cons to functional vs formal equivalence with no version free of some bias or mixing of philosophies....more literal is not always more accurate since Greek and English have different idioms, etc.), one could consider KJV, NKJV, ESV, NASB, HCSB, NLT, etc.).

If you must rant, do what I do...expose the JW/WT NWT as a sectarian perversion that removes the Deity of Christ. Attacking godly, capable evangelical translations and translators is misguided.

Where does all the aside come from. You seem very defensive.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Even Jesus used LXX and NT writers quoted it under inspiration of the Spirit despite it being an imperfect translation. They called it the Word of God since minor issues do not change belief or practice. KJVO have even gone as far as denying the LXX exists?!

Any person who is truly desirous of growing in the truths of God, will be interested in the original languages used by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to form the Holy Scriptures.

In our day and age, with so many resources on the internet, and in publications available to the average layman, some amount of study into the Hebrew and Greek is possible, and there is no excuse not to avail oneself of this kind of learning.

Those who rigidly demand adherance to KJV only, are intellectually lazy, IMO.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Any person who is truly desirous of growing in the truths of God, will be interested in the original languages used by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to form the Holy Scriptures.
Anyone who has all scripture is throughly furnished (2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV). I see that you think you need look elsewhere to be taught of the Holy Ghost. I've no need for that. (1 Corinthians 2:13 KJV). I have everything I need in my KJB!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Where does all the aside come from. You seem very defensive.

heir, STP, etc. are KJVO, MAD, etc. and impossible to reason with. You seem to spout the party line of theirs without the same vitriol or understanding? When heir and others attack the grace of God leading to my salvation and misrepresent me as the spawn of Satan, I have no patience for it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I believe the pure and preserved words of the Lord are found in the King James Bible.

Your belief is not based on evidence, just circular reasoning, so you have presumption and error, not faith based on knowledge. Insisting others follow your dogmatism or have their salvation questioned is the sign of ignorant arrogance and immaturity, flesh, not spirit/Spirit.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Anyone who has all scripture is throughly furnished (2 Timothy 3:16-17 KJV). I see that you think you need look elsewhere to be taught of the Holy Ghost. I've no need for that. (1 Corinthians 2:13 KJV). I have everything I need in my KJB!

Your KJV only buddies on forums I am on say the Oxford Dictionary is necessary (and it is), yet Greek language tools are not. This is ridiculous.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
heir, STP, etc. are KJVO, MAD, etc. and impossible to reason with. You seem to spout the party line of theirs without the same vitriol or understanding? When heir and others attack the grace of God leading to my salvation and misrepresent me as the spawn of Satan, I have no patience for it.

I don't believe that I have done this. The simple basis of salvation is Romans 10:9-10. If you have claimed it for yourself you should have no problem. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is an extension of that belief, is it not?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I don't believe that I have done this. The simple basis of salvation is Romans 10:9-10. If you have claimed it for yourself you should have no problem. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is an extension of that belief, is it not?

I Cor. 15, I fully affirm. To make it the only statement of the gospel is their problem. You are more reasonable because you have had a more biblical, balanced background with AOG.

They are simply misrepresenting and misunderstanding me and are not qualified to discuss theology with fellow believers in a civilized way. This is a sectarian, divisive mentality, not one of love and unity in Christ around essentials as we are commanded.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
It starts with the belief that God has indeed preserved his Word.
The fact that she believes it is the KJV is secondary to the main issue.

Why do you not believe the Word is preserved?

I believe God has preserved His Word as evidenced by hundreds of millions of mature, godly disciples who cannot read KJV or have not used it.

He has preserved His Word, but not in the meticulous control English version of KJV only (you don't even use 1611, so why the hype?).

Denying Calvinistic sovereignty is not denying biblical sovereignty.

Denying BOM as Scripture is not denying biblical Scripture.

Denying Muhammed or Qu'ran is not denying Jesus or Bible.

Denying KJVO is not denying KJV, preservation, Bible, God.

Denying OSAS, MAD, speaking in tongues, etc. is not denying Christ/gospel.

Denying transubstantiation, infant baptism, Mass, etc. is denying Catholicism, not the Bible, not Christ, not Christianity.

etc. etc.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Indeed, let it correct you, rather than you correcting it. :up:

Where KJV is wrong, it must be corrected. NKJV is not perfect, but it does make some valid changes even as KJV translators used and corrected versions before it (KJV did not fall from the sky perfect).