Is Islam compatible within Western Society?

njspolk

He is preaching reality. You will never see this level of barbarism among so many of one particular religion as you do with Islam. You have to go back almost a thousand years to see anything similar in Christianity.

Just because it happened along time ago doesn't mean it didn't happen or we don't hold responsibility or it was any less horrible than it was. Genocide is still genocide. Hitler was not worse than ISIS and the Church at one point was no better than Hitler or ISIS.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is so one-sided and wrong. These are Islamic extremists. Not the majority of worldwide Muslims. You're preaching hate, not the all-embracing love of Christ
Wow.
God was preaching hate when He commanded the Israelites to wipe out a group of people, every man, woman, and child.

Folks that think they are nicer than God makes me want to puke.

PureX

For every photo of a Muslim terrorizing someone there is a photo of Christian klansmen doing the same.

Israeli-Teens.jpg

The photos don't impress me. Zealots and murderers exist in all the major religions.

njspolk

Wow.
God was preaching hate when He commanded the Israelites to wipe out a group of people, every man, woman, and child.

Folks that think they are nicer than God makes me want to puke.

See, and this is where we have obvious differences to how we approach Scripture. Was is God who actually commanded the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child in the OT? Or was it Israel's way of shifting the blame to God to justify their evil behavior? If the God of the OT actually called the people of Israel to commit genocide then what distinguishes him from the God of Islam?

I don't think I, or anyone, is as loving and compassionate as God. I actually think the exact opposite, which is why I can't read Scripture as inerrant. It was written by humans. We are fallen and there were many authors, and many people who chose what books fit the criteria of Canon. There's no way that someone didn't make a mistake or interpreted something incorrectly. Scripture points to salvation and to the character of God and his relation to his creation. How can a loving God, personified in Jesus Christ be so incredibly distinct? They aren't, but the way he is described is very different from the OT and NT. We have to approach Scripture with reason, tradition and experience. Without those four all theology and interpretation goes wrong.

That's how we need to approach other religions and scriptures as well. Not with closed minded hate, but open minded and compassionately.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was is God who actually commanded the Israelites to kill every man, woman, and child in the OT?
That's what scripture says.

which is why I can't read Scripture as inerrant. It was written by humans.
What human method have you come up with to determine which of scripture you want to believe and which you do not?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's how we need to approach other religions and scriptures as well. Not with closed minded hate, but open minded and compassionately.
Being open minded is OK as long as you don't open it up with such a huge gap that your brains fall out.

njspolk

That's what scripture says.

What human method have you come up with to determine which of scripture you want to believe and which you do not?

Every approach to Scripture is human-made. That's my point. That's why we're having a discussion. We have different approaches and perspectives that bring new questions to light. God reveals himself through Scripture and discussion about Scripture, especially when people disagree on it. My approach is not the sole and authoritative approach and neither is yours or anybody else's. And my brains haven't fallen out...at least I hope not :dizzy:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
London's Muslim mayor Sadiq Khan believes Islam is completely compatible within Western Society yet studies contradict this claim.
They don't. First, even taking your reading a large number of Muslims could comfortably exist within Western compacts. Why? Because only 23% of them believe that Sharia law should be used in place of the prevailing law. That means that 77% are okay with living by the laws established.

Below are the results of a study on a representative 1081 muslims of the more than 3 million living in Britain:
You should cite the study. That way we can look at the authority and methodology. If it's the one I'm thinking of (the ICM polling) the MCB has already attacked the methodology, polling within larger Muslim concentrations of the poor, by way of, where the more conservative view is more likely to be evidenced.

You should read the latest from Pew on the divide in Islam over national law (link).

If you look at it you'll find that in countries like Turkey, Burkino Faso, Lebanon and Indonesia less than a quarter of the population even supports the notion of the Quran usurping the existing, secular law. Essentially, where you find Western traditions in place and a regard for democracy you find populations that, as with Christianity here, exist comfortably within a secular context where some disagreement is inevitable, but far from fatal or even violent in nature.

Another interesting point of departure, in Turkey, the shift is toward the Western notion of secular government. In 2012, some 27% of citizens in Turkey thought the Quaran shouldn't even influence their laws. Today that figure is 36%.

Something to consider about your data. First, Britain has had a large influx of Muslims from areas lacking a Western tradition. More like Pakistan and less like Turkey, as Muslim citizens go. So the pool isn't indicative of the point, necessarily. Or representative of what will tend to happen as generations remain within Western confines (see: Turkey, etc.).

But let's look at what's here within its context.

Only 74 percent completely condemn “suicide bombing to fight injustice”;
What does "completely" mean? (rhetorical) We have 26% who won't utterly dismiss it within a hypothetical where it was used to oppose "injustice". That's vague enough to be problematic, even while noting that three quarters of the Muslims are living peaceably within the framework of our laws and contrary to your notion that they can't by it's murky light. And let's distinguish between "completely condemn" and "participate". Because you might sympathize with the monk who self-immolates in the name of protest without either being willing to facilitate or join in the conduct.

And what level of injustice are we talking about? Would any Christian consider sacrificing his life to end a thing he thought of as intrinsically evil? I think we've done that a few times in history.

Only 66 percent completely condemn stoning those who commit adultery;
I've read Christians who condone death for adulterers. But you're really noting that even within this fairly conservative sampling the strong majority reject the practice.

Only 53 percent completely condemn violence against those who mock Muhammad;
How many Americans would completely condemn unspecified violence against a Muslim spitting on the American flag? Careful with those stones (either). But about half recognize you have to take discomfort in a Western setting. I'd like to see our polling on my question. I'm wondering if we'd get the half. It's not that hard to paint with these sort of questions.

Only 34 percent would contact police if they believed someone close to them was involved with jihadism;
Unsurprising in poor, everyone knows everyone social sub-stratas. A bit like the relation between the poor and our own police.

23 percent believe Sharia law should replace British law in areas with large Muslim populations;
Meaning the overwhelming majority don't. And you also need to look into what manifestation of Sharia. Pew has and I related it in another thread. What you'd find is that even among those who want Sharia, they mostly want it a) in civil, not criminal matters and b) want it for Muslims and not for the general population. But that sort of in depth will really narrow the sensational point, so you'll have to go to more legitimate and objective purveyors of polling, like Pew, to find it.

52 percent believe homosexuality should be illegal;
A near even split.

Only 54% of mainline Protestants believe homosexuality should be accepted by society. (Pew, Dec. 2015 link) And, according to Pew we're the 13th most accepting country on the point in the entire world. If you think about the implications of that the numbers inside a narrowed slice of Islam are actually encouraging.

31 percent believe polygamy should be legal;
Makes sense given the traditions and backgrounds. There are many outside of Islam who would likely agree or at least wonder why it is our business.

39 percent believe women should always obey their husbands;
Ohboy, there goes Crucible, heading to Mecca.

More seriously, set this poll in play: should Christians support wives disobeying their husbands? See what happens. Now I'm already on the record stating that if you have to get someone to "obey" you in a marriage you're doing it wrong, that if we love and put the other first the impact of that will negate the point, but go on and ask and see how easy, again, it is to paint with a question.

35 percent believe Jews have too much power in the UK.
So 65% of the generally less affluent, less educated and more conservative Muslims still aren't crazy enough to buy into a racist mindset? Sweet. :thumb:

Is the Muslim mayor correct or is Donald Trump
Clearly, the Mayor of London is right, unless you squint and pretend or play with the data.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

shagster01

Probably one similar to the human method you use in picking which english translation conveys the message most accurately. That is, relying on humans (many of whom disagree) to tell you.

shagster01

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." John 10:10

That's nice, but God says to convert to his way or burn in Hell. Same as Islam.

Do you disagree?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's nice, but God says to convert to his way or burn in Hell. Same as Islam.

Do you disagree?

Christianity gives you the choice throughout life to send yourself to hell. Islam not only say it but says that those who are non-converts are infidels and worthy of death.

shagster01

Christianity gives you the choice throughout life to send yourself to hell. Islam not only say it but says that those who are non-converts are infidels and worthy of death.
You have a choice to do what God/Allah says or not in both. The result for not doing it is death for both.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Convert or be destroyed" -Allah

"Convert or be destroyed" -God

God does not ask for your conversion. Nor does he want it. Allah is an Arabic word for God. What does that have to do with muslims who demand you observe islam or you will die? Did you float that red herring on purpose?

Muslims say convert to their way or they will cut your head off in front of your family. I say, if you don't want to be with God, fine. He won't force you. Being cast from his presence will in fact be torturous for you. That is the part you are missing.