Is God Truly All Powerful?

Caledvwlch

Clete said:
Then regardless of what state of rebellion you are in now, God's grace is sufficient for you.

2 Timothy 2:13
If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself.

Well I just brought it up because the others had gotten away from the subject and you had brought up having once been a Christian so I thought it would be a good opportunity to find out whether you were ever saved or not. Looks like you were and therefore are and so I'm glad I brought it up. We can continue this or we can talk about the nonexistence of time, whichever you prefer.

Resting in Him,
Clete
It doesn't matter to me. It's all about the post count in the end, isn't it? I don't think we were getting anywhere with the time discussion, anyway, and since we seem to have morphed another thread into the same discussion, we might as well continue it there.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God_Is_Truth said:
i like how sozo defined it awhile back. he said faith was "complete, unequivocal, and absolute surrender to God".

Faith is more than 'easy believism'.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:
The "evidence of things unseen"? If that isn't an oxymoron... "The evidence of that for which there is no evidence" in other words.

This is presumption. Biblical faith does have historical evidence. We know the evidence of God though many spiritual things are unseen to the physical eye. They are still real like the wind or electricity.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:
Yes. Absolutely.

This is possible, but the OSAS people cannot accept this. Regardless, he needs to repent and renew his relationship and commitment. God's grace is sufficient, but we must yield to it. Salvation is not coerced.

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
Good greif man, I didn't ask for a recital. And no, frankly, I don't think it sounded about right at all. Many of the right words are there but nothing of the substance, the heart of it. This might as well have been a recital of the third paragraph of the 7th chapter from 'War and Peace'. Memorization or intellectual agreement is not what makes a Christian.

Let me ask again in a different way and maybe we can make better progress.

Do you now or have you ever believed....

• that God created the universe and everything in it?
  • that this same creator became a man like one of us yet without sin?
  • that Jesus is that man?
  • that you are an evil sinner and deserve to be punished by God for your sin?
  • that Jesus suffered and died in order to take the punishment you deserve upon Himself?
  • that God raised Jesus from the dead?

Any person who answers "no" to any one of these questions, as asked, IS NOT A CHRISTIAN and is not saved and never was, period.

On the other hand, if you ever did believe these things and truly accepted what Jesus did at Calvary as payment for your own sin, then not only were you saved and given eternal life but you are saved and have eternal life.

Which group are you in?

Resting in Him,
Clete

False dichotomy (logical fallacy) if OSAS is not true. Mental assent to doctrine does not make one saved. There must be head and heart trust. The third option would be that he once believed and trusted these truths and was saved, but now has renounced them and is no longer a believer. He is an agnostic or an unbeliever by definition. What we are years ago, may or may not be what we are now. This has been hashed out on other threads, so let us keep on topic about God's power.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Caledvwlch said:
The "evidence of things unseen"? If that isn't an oxymoron... "The evidence of that for which there is no evidence" in other words.
No. Air is unseen is it not? Love is unseen. There may be evidence of it, in actions, but the love itself is not tangible. Get the picture?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
godrulz said:
False dichotomy (logical fallacy) if OSAS is not true. Mental assent to doctrine does not make one saved. There must be head and heart trust. The third option would be that he once believed and trusted these truths and was saved, but now has renounced them and is no longer a believer. He is an agnostic or an unbeliever by definition. What we are years ago, may or may not be what we are now. This has been hashed out on other threads, so let us keep on topic about God's power.

I suppose you just glazed over where I said "Memorization or intellectual agreement is not what makes a Christian." as well as points 4 & 5 of my list of beliefs, eh?

Why do you display such keen ability to think and reason clealy nine days out of ten and then when this subject comes up you lose all sense of intellectual honesty? I don't get it. It's very disapointing really. :nono:
I've said nothing here that isn't the very gospel itself...
Rom. 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

servent101

Lighthouse
the Bible is very clear that God operates within the confines of time. And get off your whack job rant about closed canon. I don't beleive God is done talking to us, I just don't beleive He will ever contradict Himself, idiot. Get a clue

No – you get a clue, the Bible does not address that question – yes there are some mentions of length of time in Scripture – but you seem to reason that God either does or does not function in Time as we know it, which is illogical, since God can do both, not one or the other. But the more ludicrous claims by you – thinking that the Bible addresses these issues – so you get a clue and stop trying to make the Bible the definitive source of all Spiritual knowledge – this is where you get mixed up, for to make the Bible seem like the definitive source of all Spiritual knowledge you take what it says and apply it to a subject that the author was not addressing.

As well as a literal interpreted book – everyone who seems to take it this way – literal – trying to worship the god of the literal eternal and literal hell and brimstone – it simply cannot be done, one cannot worship such a diabolical monster and stay sane.

This is not a put down post Lighthouse, you are taking what is not even remotely addressed in Scripture and building a case on illogical logic.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

servent101

Clete

Actually the very word gospel does not exist - the word is devised to take the place of Good News, for when the exegesis of the Scripture was accomplished, they had a hard time to say Good News to people, what they called a so called responsible exegesis of the Scripture was anything but Good News, so they coined the word Gospel to sort of keep the people from asking questions about what was so called orthodox doctrine.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

servent101

Caledvwitch
Nicely put. The scripture doesn't address the issue, and while it's kind of silly to argue about it, I find it to be a refreshing and dynamic discussion which pushes us to try to imagine things beyond the scope of that which we cannot understand. Lighthouse doesn't seem to be willing to do that. His loss, I guess.

Thanks, the concept of arguing about the fact that Scripture does not address the issue, to me is worth pointing out, as there is so much that Scripture is used to deduce doctrine on that it does not address – the so called people who do such exegesis come up with the excuse that Scripture is absolute and inerrant in all situations, and go on to say that if there is a doctrine that is not there, there is a reason for that, and that it should be left out – but when I point out that their
Scripture is absolute and inerrant in all situations
is in fact not there in the Writings … they start to quote some Old Testament Verse, like lean not on your own understanding … and when I point out the fact that they are leaning on their own understanding… well I do see that there in a tizzy, unable to reason, so I dig deeper, and conclude that anyone who tries to worship the literal god of eternal searing flesh and torture… that those who attempt to worship this god of the literal interpretation of Scripture, that it drives them insane.

As for lighthouse, as much as he will not like me for it, I do have to say that he is well on his way to living a life of complete and utter incoherency, and this is actually hell. His torment shows in the very arrogant name-calling and degenerate almost obscene behavior he shows towards other posters on the board – but what can I do? He feeds off the energy, it is a physical addiction to the chemicals that are produced by his feelings of indignation, and a lot of them suffer from that here at TOL –

For myself I try to realize how aweful it is to carry on such discussions, I take no pleasure in such posting whatsoever, I sort of threaten myself that if I enjoy such discourse with people like Lighthouse, that I could be punished by being reincarnated as the bacteria in stool.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
serpent101 said:
Lighthouse

No – you get a clue, the Bible does not address that question – yes there are some mentions of length of time in Scripture – but you seem to reason that God either does or does not function in Time as we know it, which is illogical, since God can do both, not one or the other. But the more ludicrous claims by you – thinking that the Bible addresses these issues – so you get a clue and stop trying to make the Bible the definitive source of all Spiritual knowledge – this is where you get mixed up, for to make the Bible seem like the definitive source of all Spiritual knowledge you take what it says and apply it to a subject that the author was not addressing.
You really don't think there is any evidenmce in scripture that God does not operate outside of the succession of events? Do you really think time was created? No, the Bible does not say either way, but anyone with half a brain can deduce that time is not something tangible, nor dimensional where it can be existed outside of. And the source of Spiritual knowledge is the Holy Spirit of God. I trust Him, even when it comes to the Bible. Because not every interpretation is correct, and only He knows what He was saying.

As well as a literal interpreted book – everyone who seems to take it this way – literal – trying to worship the god of the literal eternal and literal hell and brimstone – it simply cannot be done, one cannot worship such a diabolical monster and stay sane.
Do you really think that's how I see God? Yes, I believe there are literal things in the Bible, but there are symbolic things as well. And when I trust in the Spirit, He leads me into the truth, so I know the difference.

This is not a put down post Lighthouse, you are taking what is not even remotely addressed in Scripture and building a case on illogical logic.
And? So what if it isn't addressed in Scripture? Should I just ignore it? I thought the canon wasn't closed.:rolleyes: Of course, how sure are you that it isn't addressed in Scripture?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Clete said:
I suppose you just glazed over where I said "Memorization or intellectual agreement is not what makes a Christian." as well as points 4 & 5 of my list of beliefs, eh?

Why do you display such keen ability to think and reason clealy nine days out of ten and then when this subject comes up you lose all sense of intellectual honesty? I don't get it. It's very disapointing really. :nono:
Rom. 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Please, meester, sir. Do not take away my rep points
:dizzy:

Aimiel

servent101 said:
...when I point out...
...they are leaning on their own understanding…
so I dig deeper, and conclude...
For myself I try to realize...
Wait a minute, who is leaning on their own understanding here? Servent seems to think that he can 'dig deeper' into his own understanding of his 'interpretation' of The Word of God and conclude that everyone but himself is in error. Aren't we supposed to obey The Lord, Who said, "Come, let us reason together?" He also said we shouldn't lean on our own understanding. Not being in a relationship with The Lord, Servent doesn't understand The Word of God, but merely gives it lipservice.
servent101 said:
With Christ’s Love

Servent101
Hogwash. There's no one on TOL who shows less love for those who truly are Christ's than Serpent101!!! :Servent:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
servent101 said:
Clete

Actually the very word gospel does not exist - the word is devised to take the place of Good News, for when the exegesis of the Scripture was accomplished, they had a hard time to say Good News to people, what they called a so called responsible exegesis of the Scripture was anything but Good News, so they coined the word Gospel to sort of keep the people from asking questions about what was so called orthodox doctrine.

With Christ's Love

Servent101
This could be the stupidest post of all time! :darwinsm:

Caledvwlch

lighthouse said:
You were in Christ? You had a relationship wiht Christ?
Um... I'm sure we've been over this before, but I like Granite's take: Since I don't believe anybody can have a relationship with Christ, then no, I didn't.