Interpretation

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
I repeat. Scripture can only mean what scripture meant. The meaning will always be revealed to the redeemed, regenerate and repentant sinners as, when and if they need it. The rest of you are kept in the dark.

The words you use will be interpreted differently by each reader.

It means what it means to the reader.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Truster

Did you mean interest or the will?

Seek and you will find...

The Bible is the revealed will and testament of the Almighty. Like a human will, once it has passed through probate, it becomes a public document and can be read by anyone. Reading the will however does not give the reader an interest in the estate. Only the testator has the right to nominate heirs.

Hence, an interest in the will.

oatmeal

How many different ways could one interpret the scriptures? Does interpretation come from God or from man? Why does this make a difference? Is the literal translation the only one with merit? Why or why not? Who holds the power to declare which interpretation is most appropriate? Can one interpretation be more correct or more accurate than another? What evidence or support is available to suggest that an entity has the authority to determine which interpretation is valid and/or more valid than another? Who is interpreting the evidence or support that is being used to come up with the original interpretation? Does one interpretation have all the correct answers and if it doesn't, does that invalidate any of the viewpoints that do make sense? Does any one interpretation make perfect sense? What should we do if someone proposes an alternative interpretation that we know through discernment makes much more sense to us? Is it okay to continue believing one interpretation if we know there is a more accurate one available? What would prevent us from accepting a more true interpretation of the scriptures were it to be presented to us?

If we truly believed that God is the sole author of scripture, we would never attempt to interpret it.

II Peter 1:20

It not our job to interpret it but simply to let it speak for itself.

For example, Genesis 1:1 is self explanatory. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth

Who? God

did what? created

what did He create? the heaven and the earth.

when did God do this? in the beginning.

Not one iota of interpretation. See, let it speak for itself

Same with John 3:16 and Romans 10:9 and many other passages

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
There is also the potential of purposeful manipulation of the text. There has certainly been opportunities and motives over the last 6000 years or so.

Yes, there are variant readings in biblical manuscripts, and some ommissions, interpolations, additions in some cases. Like any textual study, you research and consider all variant readings and come to the best contextual translation/interpretation with the texts available, as well as considering all literature associated with the subjects, persons and time period (non-canonical works, apocrypha, etc.)

I have no problem with this in whatever religious tradition or scriptures I'm studying, since I do not hold to a concept of 'inerrancy' or 'infallibility' of scriptures, and I deny the necessity of such a belief, since religious writings are more or less inspired, depending on various factors of their transmission. No matter, whatever truth is being shared,...it still must undergo translation and interpretation,...there will be some degree of distortion, and this is natural to our finite minds and this realm of conditional existence. Only what is absolute is absolute, all else is relative.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I repeat too.......

I repeat too.......

I repeat. Scripture can only mean what scripture meant. The meaning will always be revealed to the redeemed, regenerate and repentant sinners as, when and if they need it. The rest of you are kept in the dark.

You'd like to give the so called 'redeemed'/'elect' special privileges, and 'assume' they get special grants and treatment,.....making 'God' a respector of persons, the pontiff of a 'chosen people', exclusive "bless me" club, and other frills. Anyone can claim special rights and privileges, this doesnt make it so. Sorry, this kind of 'special me' theology doesnt cut it. God's grace is universally available.

Scripture means what it means to those who assume whatever it means, HOWEVER they 'translate' and 'interpret' it. - some meanings and values are indeed fundamental/essential to the text, while other aspects of it are subject to 'interpretation'. - has it dawned on you to see how many religious sects use the Bible as their 'guide' and have different and unique doctrinal emphasis and dogmas? - amid all the various christian denominations, there is a wide VARIETY of translations and interpretations. (this goes for any religious cult-ure or tradition, of course).

There is one universal Light, but so many ways that light gets refracted/reflected/trans-formed thru the lens of the mind. One Light and Spirit is the LIFE of all, but minds translate and interpret some things differently, according to point of view. Each individual sees from their own 'point of view'.

My former statement below holds :)

According to whom? There are still issues of 'translation' and 'interpretation'. All 'translations' of an original language into another, suffer from some 'distortion' from the original. 'Interpretation' further distorts, so that all 'interpretations' are more or less relative.

Truster

You'd like to give the so called 'redeemed'/'elect' special privileges, and 'assume' they get special grants and treatment,.....making 'God' a respector of persons, the pontiff of a 'chosen people', exclusive "bless me" club, and other frills. Anyone can claim special rights and privileges, this doesnt make it so. Sorry, this kind of 'special me' theology doesnt cut it. God's grace is universally available.

Scripture means what it means to those who assume whatever it means, HOWEVER they 'translate' and 'interpret' it. - some meanings and values are indeed fundamental/essential to the text, while other aspects of it are subject to 'interpretation'. - has it dawned on you to see how many religious sects use the Bible as their 'guide' and have different and unique doctrinal emphasis and dogmas? - amid all the various christian denominations, there is a wide VARIETY of translations and interpretations. (this goes for any religious cult-ure or tradition, of course).

There is one universal Light, but so many ways that light gets refracted/reflected/trans-formed thru the lens of the mind. One Light and Spirit is the LIFE of all, but minds translate and interpret some things differently, according to point of view. Each individual sees from their own 'point of view'.

My former statement below holds :)

The privileges and pre-evangelism is for the heirs and for the heirs alone.
The law and the threatenings, for non compliance, are for every man who is not an heir.

Now, I've given you the facts. What I can't do is give you the spiritual capacity to absorb, comprehend and receive the comfort and assurance these facts communicate.

Scripture can only mean, convey and communicate, what scripture meant and was meant to do.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
Yes, there are variant readings in biblical manuscripts, and some ommissions, interpolations, additions in some cases. Like any textual study, you research and consider all variant readings and come to the best contextual translation/interpretation with the texts available, as well as considering all literature associated with the subjects, persons and time period (non-canonical works, apocrypha, etc.)

I have no problem with this in whatever religious tradition or scriptures I'm studying, since I do not hold to a concept of 'inerrancy' or 'infallibility' of scriptures, and I deny the necessity of such a belief, since religious writings are more or less inspired, depending on various factors of their transmission. No matter, whatever truth is being shared,...it still must undergo translation and interpretation,...there will be some degree of distortion, and this is natural to our finite minds and this realm of conditional existence. Only what is absolute is absolute, all else is relative.

I have spoken to someone who did a degree in ancient text and he told me how there were many hand written texts which 'proved' they were a true record.

However considering the strong motive the Romans would have had to tweak things their way and that period 2 or 3 hundred years after Christ where there seems to be complete chaos.

If something fundamental was changed it would affect the interpretation of a lot of other things.

My two main issues.

1. The name Yeshua being replaced with Jesus. Jesus I believe has power and I believe is the true name of God and must be said in the English way.

It doesn't have the same power said the Spanish way, (this is why no one gives the name Jesus to their children in English speaking countries but they do in Spanish speaking countries.

Also to support this a special Greek letter was made up to denote the new J sound.

2. Again a name issue. We start with God (Elohim). In Genesis 4 we have Lord (YHWH). Same thing? Perhaps we wouldn't think so if it wasn't for Genesis 2,3.

Anyway I will leave it at that for now.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
dogma gridlock.......

dogma gridlock.......

The privileges and pre-evangelism is for the heirs and for the heirs alone.
The law and the threatenings, for non compliance, are for every man who is not an heir.

Now, I've given you the facts. What I can't do is give you the spiritual capacity to absorb, comprehend and receive the comfort and assurance these facts communicate.

Scripture can only mean, convey and communicate, what scripture meant and was meant to do.

Your 'interpretation' among many others is noted ;)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Differences in manuscripts.............

Differences in manuscripts.............

I have spoken to someone who did a degree in ancient text and he told me how there were many hand written texts which 'proved' they were a true record.

However considering the strong motive the Romans would have had to tweak things their way and that period 2 or 3 hundred years after Christ where there seems to be complete chaos.

The thing is no original autographs exist, unless someone can prove their 'copy' is the original. So we have but copies of copies, and even though scribes were very diligent to copy carefully we have variant readings and some distinguishable manuscript traditions or groupings, which reflect the religious communities related to the scribe, their nuances and inflections of doctrine.

It would be a natural logical occurance due to man's own writing of his own gospels, creating his own myths, and in recounting of supposed historical events, for some details or records to contradict each other, or be another point of view from a writer of those same events. Some inconsistencies may appear, or some 'redactions' or 'interpolations' may be apparent within a given context.

Dr. Steven DiMattei examines contradictions in an objective fashion seeing that such accounts were written for various reasons by their writers within their own cultural-setting, societal constructs, belief-systems, etc. See: - What is the Bible? - his seminal work is mostly the OT, but I look forward to him doing the NT sometime. His approach is not anti-religious or anti-faith necessarily, put historical in context, in understanding some of the factors that would account for any 'contradictions' in the records.

Zeke

Luke 17:20-21, a good foundation to build on with spiritual stones concerning that inner witness/voice that gives liberty the letter can never do 2Cor 3:6, it always demands one bows the knee to some system born from the traditions of men where equality is a meaningless word under their creeds and moral dogma, who are clearly holding hands with world in its quest of governing minds into that prison.

The outward is the broad road everyone is taught to follow, and defend it till their last breath unless they have a revelation from? within.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Kingdom within.....................

Kingdom within.....................

The outward is the broad road everyone is taught to follow, and defend it till their last breath unless they have a revelation from? within.

Adding to Luke 17:21,....we also have Gospel of Thomas saying 113 -

His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to come?" <Jesus said>, "It is not by being waited for that it is going to come. They are not going to say, 'Here it is' or 'There it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and people do not see it."

-LAYTON

The true light is the gnosis within the soul, by the essence and revelation of the spirit, which is not sourced in or limited to the physical world or the realm of appearances.

Don't forget our 'Gospel of Thomas' thread here,....we are going thru sayings and commentating,....we are so far up to saying 49, among the 114 sayings.

Zeke

Adding to Luke 17:21,....we also have Gospel of Thomas saying 113 -

His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to come?" <Jesus said>, "It is not by being waited for that it is going to come. They are not going to say, 'Here it is' or 'There it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and people do not see it."

-LAYTON

The true light is the gnosis within the soul, by the essence and revelation of the spirit, which is not sourced in or limited to the physical world or the realm of appearances.

Don't forget our 'Gospel of Thomas' thread here,....we are going thru sayings and commentating,....we are so far up to saying 49, among the 114 sayings.

The universe which we study with such care is a dream, and we the dreamers of the dream, eternal dreamers dreaming non eternal dreams. One day, like Nebuchadnezzar we shall awaken from the dream, from the nightmare in which we fought with demons, to find that we really never left our eternal home; that we were never born and have never died save in our dream. Neville Goddard awakening imagination.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Only Mind interprets. Spirit is just BEING.

Only Mind interprets. Spirit is just BEING.

The universe which we study with such care is a dream, and we the dreamers of the dream, eternal dreamers dreaming non eternal dreams. One day, like Nebuchadnezzar we shall awaken from the dream, from the nightmare in which we fought with demons, to find that we really never left our eternal home; that we were never born and have never died save in our dream. Neville Goddard awakening imagination.

;)

Yes, the concept of the 'dream' has many parallels in the mirror of consciousness, but the question is....what is 'real' and what is more or less 'illusion'(maya)? - and our true seeking is into that which is truly real, the unborn, timeless, undying, infinite, incorruptible, stainless REALITY :) - In this conditional realm of existence, the play of space and time....images, sights, appearances comes and go,...while all the while the crystal diamond light of pure consciousness abides as the eternal witness, the ONE in which all these movements and images arise within, and then dissolve back into. - and so....as long as relativity plays out and unfolds its potentials and possibilities....dreaming, sleeping and awakening continues...in the eternal process. - ALL in this conditional realm of existence is subject to 'interpretation' and 'translation'...while that which is prior to and transcending space, time and change....ever ABIDES.

I Am :)

I as pure awareness...am the eternal witness-consciousness. I am even that which is prior to consciousness, that unborn space from out of which consciousness itself arises.

Last edited: