I'm new here

Zeneta

Let me reflect on this. Your question was why some people refuse to think for themselves? I think it is due to the nature of a culture of "joining" groups. And, of course, each group a person joins has some form of leadership that stands ever ready to tell the group membership what to believe.

People want to be part of a group of like minded individuals, there is safety in numbers after all.

Just because "some form of leadership" stands ready to tell the group what to believe, allowing them to do so as a cost of membership is a very scary proposition.

You may be right.

I hope to God you are wrong.

Zeneta

Thanks for the link.

I will review it when I get more time.

Happily, I can say that I'm a Non-Conformist.

IMJerusha

So, what I'm specifically interested in, short of crisis, what causes someone to examine their own worldview?

When folks don't recognize that it's a Who and not a what that causes them to examine their worldview, it is sort of a crisis.

Welcome to TOL!

Zeneta

When folks don't recognize that it's a Who and not a what that causes them to examine their worldview, it is sort of a crisis.

Welcome to TOL!

Yes,

However, I am certain most folks don't recognize any particular cause for them to examine their worldview.

Much like an epiphany.

It comes to them in the most unpredictable situations.

In crisis, they/we actively seek answers.

Short of crisis, I want to know more about the why and how an individual is suddenly moved to seek truth.

IMJerusha

Yes,

However, I am certain most folks don't recognize any particular cause for them to examine their worldview.

Much like an epiphany.

It comes to them in the most unpredictable situations.

In crisis, they/we actively seek answers.

Short of crisis, I want to know more about the why and how an individual is suddenly moved to seek truth.

I chalk it up to God kicking them in the pants!

Zeneta

I chalk it up to God kicking them in the pants!

God or a Satan (that doesn't exist)

In the minds of our secular world, there is no Satan, and certainly no God.

The kick in the pants, does it come with an authority that is beyond question or doubt ?

Dena

You want to know about those who seek the truth as you see it...or just in general, those who evaluate their worldview? Those are two different questions.

IMJerusha

God or a Satan (that doesn't exist)

In the minds of our secular world, there is no Satan, and certainly no God.

The kick in the pants, does it come with an authority that is beyond question or doubt ?

Whether one acknowledges God and Satan does not change the fact that God's Law is written on the hearts of all people and that it is written with an authority that ignores belief or non-belief. If one is secular, it is their choice to be so.

Wile E. Coyote

...in all honesty, my first reaction is to immediately wonder if anyone who would say such a thing already has some issues of his or her own that way...
My thoughts exactly. Zeneda comes here not knowing us and just assumes that we don't think for ourselves. She is in for a rude awakening.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Hi,

My goal and field of study are the same.

The nature of understanding.

Not so much what people believe, but the foundations for those beliefs and how they change.

Why not state your intensions/goals in a more understandable way?? You're trying to articulate/post
as if you're a self-styled member of the "higher echelon of intelligentsia!"!" Bring it down a notch
or two Einstein!!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
In addition, I'd like to explore ideas I have that may move people

Here's one of my favorites :)

600-snow.jpg

fool

Hall of Fame
So Zeneta;
What do you want?
Spill it.
Get it out there.
What is it that you think people are refusing to think for themselves about?
Fashion?
Interior decor?

bybee

I'm here to learn.

I hope to gain a deeper understanding of why some people refuse to think for themselves.

In addition, I'd like to explore ideas I have that may move people, and the related concepts which underlie fundamental beliefs.

Apologetics.

Presuppositional, as well as, evidential.

More importantly, not what folks believe, but what is their foundation for that belief, and how to get people to examine that foundation.
This is a classic example of a "presuppostion" and judgmentally loaded post!
I shall enjoy knocking you off your elevated pedestal! :devil:

bybee

So Zeneta;
What do you want?
Spill it.
Get it out there.
What is it that you think people are refusing to think for themselves about?
Fashion?
Interior decor?

No doubt, in the fulness of time, The Zeneta shall show us our inferior ways! I can't wait!