ECT II Timothy 2: 15 and Dispensationalism's Rightly Dividing the Word of God.

northwye

II Timothy 2: 15 and Dispensationalism's Rightly Dividing the Word of God.

II Timothy 2:15 says "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Here is the key part: ορθοτομουντα τον λογον της αληθειας

The King James Version translates ορθοτομουν as "rightly dividing."

τον λογον της αληθειας means "the word of truth."

The word dividing is given as the proof of the dispensationalist method of dividing scripture. This is taken as a directive to divide the Bible into many different administrations, or dispensations. And Ii Timothy 2: 15 is also taken by dispensationalists as justification for their dividing and making separate the Jews, those of the physical Bloodline from Abraham, from the Gentiles.

And in their continuation of Old Covenant Israel, which is ethnic or national Israel, as existing alongside the Body of Christ, dispensationalists create by this division two peoples of God and two different programs, which contradicts New Testament scripture. In fact, the New Testament states that all of faith. everyone, regardless of his DNA, are unified together in Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit.

In fact, dispensationalists, following their belief that II Timothy 2: 15 directs them to make divisions in New Testament doctrines, make new divisions that the founders of this theology did not make.

"The Greek word ὀρθοτομέω, orthotomeō, in II Timothy 2: 15, translated “divided”, means to “cut straight”, not just “cut." It also means to “direct aright; to set forth truthfully, without perversion or distortion.” Orthotomeo means to cut it straight, not adding to the word or taking away from it so that the Word of God is changed to fit the doctrines of a Church Theology.

The above is from: Wesley J.Perschbacher. The New Analytical Greek Lexicon. Peabody: Hendrickson, 1990, page 296.

Last edited:

DAN P

II Timothy 2: 15 and Dispensationalism's Rightly Dividing the Word of God.

II Timothy 2:15 says "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Here is the key part: ορθοτομουντα τον λογον της αληθειας

The King James Version translates ορθοτομουν as "rightly dividing."

τον λογον της αληθειας means "the word of truth."

The word dividing is given as the proof of the dispensationalist method of dividing scripture. This is taken as a directive to divide the Bible into many different administrations, or dispensations. And Ii Timothy 2: 15 is also taken by dispensationalists as justification for their dividing and making separate the Jews, those of the physical Bloodline from Abraham, from the Gentiles.

And in their continuation of Old Covenant Israel, which is ethnic or national Israel, as existing alongside the Body of Christ, dispensationalists create by this division two peoples of God and two different programs, which contradicts New Testament scripture. In fact, the New Testament states that all of faith. everyone, regardless of his DNA, are unified together in Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit.

In fact, dispensationalists, following their belief that II Timothy 2: 15 directs them to make divisions in New Testament doctrines, make new divisions that the founders of this theology did not make.

"The Greek word ὀρθοτομέω, orthotomeō, in II Timothy 2: 15, translated “divided”, means to “cut straight”, not just “cut." It also means to “direct aright; to set forth truthfully, without perversion or distortion.” Orthotomeo means to cut it straight, not adding to the word or taking away from it so that the Word of God is changed to fit the doctrines of a Church Theology.

The above is from: Wesley J.Perschbacher. The New Analytical Greek Lexicon. Peabody: Hendrickson, 1990, page 296.

Hi and just where did the 12 apostles EVER PREACH the DISPENSATION of the MYSTERY , like Col 1:25 and 26 OR Rom 16:25 and 26 OR Eph 3:2 , 9 and 10 ??

You are the fraud here and will never answer what OIKONOMIA really means , can you ??

dan p

northwye

At the start of the Scofield Reference Bible it says: "A dispensation is a period of time during which man is tested in respect of obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God."

Oikonomia is used eight times in the New Testament:

In Luke 16:1-4, the Greek word οικονομιας, oikonomias,appears four times, and each time it is translated as steward or stewardship..

In 1 Corinthians 9:17, Paul says "For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me."

In Ephesians 1:10 Paul talks about "That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:"

In Ephesians 3:2 Paul says "If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward:"

In 1 Timothy 1:4, Paul warns Timothy, "Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do." "godly edification which is in faith," contains the word oikonomia, and could be translated, "God's administration, which is in faith."

The question is "Is there any indication, in the usages of oikonomia in Scripture, of the texts referring to periods of time?

Is there any indication in these texts using oikomonia of "obedience to some specific revelation of the will of God" during different periods of time? The answer is no."

northwye

There is an interesting New Testament scripture in which Paul uses oikonomia as well as μυστηριον or musterion, which is important to dispensationalists in their dividing of doctrine.

This is Colossians 1: 25-27:, "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26.Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27. To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"

What is the mystery in Colossians 1: 25-27? The dispensationalists might get it wrong.

Is this mystery the Gospel of Faith according to Paul, which for dispensationalists may be divided from the preaching of the Kingdom of God by other New Testament writers? This may be what some dispensationalists believe.

What the mystery turns out to be is found at the end of verse 27: "Christ in you, the hope of glory." The mystery of God's plan of redemption was that Jesus Christ not only would appear in the form of man on earth, would be put to death, be buried, and then not only would rise from the dead, but Christ would actually live in each member of his transformed and redeemed people in the New Covenant - not exactly what dispensationalists emphasize - "Christ in you, the hope of glory."

northwye

"Scofield had one opinion.

Many other dispensationalist teachers have said otherwise and named Scofield and said he was wrong."

This is too vague. How was Scofield wrong?

But saying that Scofield somehow did not teach that a dispensationist dispensation is a period of time during which men are tested by God in some specific way is doing the same thing as some dispensationalists will do with quotes from other Founders of dispensationalism saying the theology teaches that God has two peoples and two different programs - and then saying these guys like Lewis S. Chafer, Charles Ryrie, or J. Dwight Pentecost are wrong, implying that dispensationalism does not teach that God has two different peoples.

Dispensationalism could not survive as the most popular Church Theology in the evangelical denominations if there was little agreement among dispensationalists about what the theology teaches? Or Could it still survive?

Dispensationalism can be seen to be a dialectic or argument in opposition to the meaning of several New Testament scriptures.

John 10: 16, Romans 12: 4-5 and Ephesians 4: 4 deal with the doctrine that God has one group of his elect, not two groups as dispensationalism postulates.

Romans 10: 12 and Galatians 3: 28 focus on the doctrine that there is a unity of all who are in faith, regardless of their genetics, that is, that there is a unity between believing Gentiles and believing Jews. This contradicts dispensationalim's postulate that God has two separate peoples Old Covenant Israel and the Church.

Romans 2: 28-29 is a little more subtle, but these two verses imply that there is a transformation for Jews who come to faith in Christ, and for them things of the flesh, are no longer important but things of the Spirit are important. This is not in line with the dispensationalist system, which apparently continues to honor the physical bloodline from Abraham.

Romans 9: 6-8 says that not all of those of the physical bloodline are the children of God, that is of the elect, and that the children only of the flesh, that is of the bloodline, are not the children of God. Then I Corinthians 10: 18 affirms again that there is a group under the Old Covenant who are of the Bloodline but are not God's children.

Romans 11: 17-20 says that those of the physical Bloodline who were in unbelief are cut off, contradicting in general the dispensatgionalist attempt to say that all of the Bloodline are of the elect.

II Corinthians 3: 6-11, Hebrews 10: 9, and Hebrews 8: 13 all say that the Old Covenant was done away with, disagreeing with a fundamental assumption of dispensationalism, that the Old Covenant continues with its Old Covenant people, along with the Church.

Galatians 3: 3, 16-17, 27-29 say that God decides who is saved by faith and not by that which is physical, Paul says in Galatians 3: 14 'That the blessings of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. " "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

In a way here on TOL, the Argument itself replaces dispensationalism theology. So what is valued is the Argument or Quarrel.

Last edited:

northwye

Now the TOL ETC dispensationalists have tried to hijack this thread to change the topic which they may not like. Where is Sherman - nowhere to be seen.

Dispensationalism focuses so much upon its argument with New Testament Scripture that this dialectic and argument distracts from the love of the Truth - II Thessalonians 2: 10-12 - so much that many do not see the importance of John 3: 1-6. Then that quarrel with dispensationalism distracts from contemplating on Colossians 1:25-26, "the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you. the hope of glory."

The word alethia is used a great many times in the New Testament.

We are transformed by the word of the Truth, where it is implied that the tranformation - metamorthousthe - metamorphosis - or renewing of the mind is by the Truth in the Gospel in Romans 12: 2.

"And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth." John 17: 19

DAN P

There is an interesting New Testament scripture in which Paul uses oikonomia as well as μυστηριον or musterion, which is important to dispensationalists in their dividing of doctrine.

This is Colossians 1: 25-27:, "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
26.Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
27. To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:"

What is the mystery in Colossians 1: 25-27? The dispensationalists might get it wrong.

Is this mystery the Gospel of Faith according to Paul, which for dispensationalists may be divided from the preaching of the Kingdom of God by other New Testament writers? This may be what some dispensationalists believe.

What the mystery turns out to be is found at the end of verse 27: "Christ in you, the hope of glory." The mystery of God's plan of redemption was that Jesus Christ not only would appear in the form of man on earth, would be put to death, be buried, and then not only would rise from the dead, but Christ would actually live in each member of his transformed and redeemed people in the New Covenant - not exactly what dispensationalists emphasize - "Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Hi and all anti-Paul question Paul and are WRONG as they will never believe what the MYSTERY / MUSTERION really means , like you !!

MUSTERION / MYSTERY just means SECRET , HIDDEN , and only CONFIDED to the Body of Christ !!

Col 1:27 means this , This whom God WILLED , to make KNOWN what is the RICHES of the GLORY of THIS MYSTERY among the GENTILES , which is Christ in you , the hope of GLORY !!

#1 First , God has WIILED this MYSTERY only to the Body of Christ !!

#2 , The same Greek word MYSTERY / MUSTERION is used in Ron 16:25 and 26 !!

#3 , The first verb is WILLED. WOULD / THELO which a verb in the AORIST TENSE and looks back to when this MYSTERY was given to Paul in Acts 9:15 and in 1 Cor 9:17 !!

#4 OIKONOMIA means OIKOS means HOUSE and NOMOS means LAW and that means HOUSE RULES , and will you explain THAT ??

#5 The next verb is MAKE KNOWN / GNORIZO is also in the PAST TENSE of Paul's ministry Rom 1:1 where Paul is APHTOIZO / LIMITED to only preach the GOSPEL of God !!

#6 So when Paul began to preach his GOSPEL , the 12 were preaching the Kingdom of Heaven in Matt 10:2-10 is given what the Kingdom of Heaven preaching MEANS !!

#7 And at the same TIME they are still teaching the LAW of Moses , Acts 21:20 !!

Looks like all can go back to school and see IF , 1 + 1 +1 = 3 !!

dan p

northwye

When dispensationalists claim to disagree with the doctrines of the Founders of this theology this can be seen to be a form of a deceptive use of the dialectic. That is, the dispensationalist who argues against what Lewis S. Chafer, Charles Ryrie, or J. Dwight Pentecost say about dispensationalism teaching that God has two different peoples and two different programs - for Old Covenant Israel and the Church - these dispensationalists may not themselves be disagreeing with the Founders. They may be saying this as part of their dialectic to promote an argument and to put the opponent off guard. The same goes for dispensationalists who say that C.I. Scofield is wrong in saying that the dispensationalist dispensation involves periods of time and specific tests by God.

In other words its not an honest argument.

"Liberals don’t believe there is such a thing as “fact” or “truth.”
Everything is a struggle for power between rival doctrines." Ann Coulter

musterion

Whatever happened to ol' Musty, anyways?
@musterion hallooo? You still there?

Yeah, I miss Musty! @musterion

I know where he is. I'll send him a hello from you guys. :)

Howdy, brethren and sisteren. First time I've posted since I left. Miss y'all, but do not miss what TOL turned into. If it's changed for the better, let me know...life has settled out a lot in recent months. If not...see y'all in glory!

musterion

I tried that, Glory, but I didn't have the patience to tolerate them who seek out and disrupt on purpose, no matter what the topic. Still don't have the patience and never will. Life's too short.

Love you all. Florida winter was long shirt sleeve weather in Ohio. People here actually complain about being cold. Heh.

glorydaz

I tried that, Glory, but I didn't have the patience to tolerate them who seek out and disrupt on purpose, no matter what the topic. Still don't have the patience and never will. Life's too short.

Love you all. Florida winter was long shirt sleeve weather in Ohio. People here actually complain about being cold. Heh.

Yeah, life is too short to worry about the idiots. But, we have made some fast friends here....brothers and sisters in the Lord....members of the same body. Please remember that as you go about your fancy life out there in Florida. Sherman has been working hard to keep threads from being disrupted. When I look at the world around me, I don't think TOL is as bad as it could be. Yikes, it's getting bad out there, isn't it?

musterion

It's no worse than it was before, I don't think. Only difference is, Trump caused the Left to start dropping their masks and stop pretending. They're starting to show themselves for what some of us knew they were all along and more people see it than before. That's a good thing.

But those of us on TOL saw that in action over the past few years. ;)

PS

Florida dodged a fatal bullet this week with Gillum. Whew, that was close.