If Evolution

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
If we came from apes, then apes also would have evolved into humans,

What gave you that idea? That one made "Answers in Genesis" list of "arguments we think creationists should not use." It called the "If you're alive, your uncle has to be dead" argument.

You wouldn't have just some evolving and not the rest, and i trust in God and I know he created the universe and I know he created man as a man and a woman.

If you'll go that far, why not accept the way He did it?

6days

Greg Jennings said:
A neutral mutation neither helps nor hurts an individual.
How does having 1 dorsal fin instead of 2 help OR hurt a shark in comparison to its peers?

Not ONE of you YECs can answer that question. And you still won't. You just whine
You were answered Greg, although it was mocking you a bit for not understanding your own 'argument. You first thought sharks gained a fin. Then you realized it was LOSS, or reduction of a fin.

You were also told that there does not seem to be any such thing as a mutation that is neutral. Most geneticists now refer to them as "near neutral" or " very slightly deleterious". (The belief in neutral mutations is mostly an evolutionary belief from the past which modern science is debunking)

6days

Barbarian said:
...why not accept the way He did it
Do you mean the way God says He did it?... here are some things God says... I believe.

Gen. 1:11 Their seeds produced plants and trees of the same kind.

GEN. 1:17-19 God set these lights in the sky to light the earth, to govern the day and night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. And evening passed and morning came, marking the fourth day.

Gen.1:25 God made all sorts of wild animals, livestock, and small animals, each able to produce offspring of the same kind.

Gen. 2:21, 22 While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man’s ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib

EX. 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth,

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you mean the way God says He did it?... here are some things God says... I believe.

GEN. 1:17-19 God set these lights in the sky to light the earth, to govern the day and night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. And evening passed and morning came, marking the fourth day.

Gen.1:25 God made all sorts of wild animals, livestock, and small animals, each able to produce offspring of the same kind.

Gen. 2:21, 22 While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man’s ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib

Don't quote the Bible around Blablaman, he'll turn to ash.

ThisIsMyUserName

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Precisely. It's not written in stone and merely inspired.

I'm pretty sure to be able to make such a claim, you would have to know all the beliefs of every Christian in the world.

Please don't assert things that you have no knowledge of.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/02/10/darwin-day/

You try getting 40 authors into a single room and have them write a book with a cohesive plot, no contradictions, no errors, and all be focused on one Person.

I think you may be overestimating the quality just a bit. The very fact that the whole thing as you say was written down by so many different authors and edited by committee. Nonetheless is (unfortunately) riddled with errors and contradictions. Yup - sounds human to me.
It's funny, cause even the Muslims have a better excuse - they believe their book (which plagiarised the bible so evidently) was written down by an illiterate farm-boy.

Scripture says that God divided the waters above and the waters below, putting a firmament between them.

Ever heard of the Hydroplate theory?
Which side are you on?
That's an argument in favour of my position. Precisely why the literal interpretation is so laughable.

Red herring and rabbit trail.

Nope. A demonstration of my point. And it seems you already know why it counts :)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

As you know, Christians realize that the two different creation stories in Genesis are figurative. This isn't new. It was known long before modern science. Your modern revision of Genesis is just that; a modern revision.

It won't send you to hell for making it up, unless you make an idol of your new doctrine. Don't do that.

Greg Jennings

You were answered Greg, although it was mocking you a bit for not understanding your own 'argument. You first thought sharks gained a fin. Then you realized it was LOSS, or reduction of a fin.

You were also told that there does not seem to be any such thing as a mutation that is neutral. Most geneticists now refer to them as "near neutral" or " very slightly deleterious". (The belief in neutral mutations is mostly an evolutionary belief from the past which modern science is debunking)

Again ------ answer this question: how does having one dorsal fin help OR hurt a nurse shark survive as opposed to having two??

I'm gonna make this one real short so you can't get dodge my question

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The ... creation stories in Genesis are figurative.

Then you'll be able to explain what the details mean. What are the firmaments if they are only figurative? Why were plants created on their day? Why did God work for six days and rest on the seventh?

And why should we accept your assertion that the story cannot mean what it plainly says? Because you stamp your foot and declare yourself in the majority?

As you know, you've got nothing.

2003cobra

Then you'll be able to explain what the details mean. What are the firmaments if they are only figurative? Why were plants created on their day? Why did God work for six days and rest on the seventh?

And why should we accept your assertion that the story cannot mean what it plainly says? Because you stamp your foot and declare yourself in the majority?

As you know, you've got nothing.

What is the firmament?

It is the solid dome above the earth on which the sun, moon, and stars were placed.

It has the windows of heaven through which the rain and snow come.

On top of it are the storehouses of snow and water.

Of course it is figurative. We know the sky is not laid out like that.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is the firmament?It is the solid dome above the earth on which the sun, moon, and stars were placed.It has the windows of heaven through which the rain and snow come.On top of it are the storehouses of snow and water. Of course it is figurative. We know the sky is not laid out like that.

I thought you weren't talking to me. :idunno:

If you do want to talk to me, can you not make stuff up about the Bible. :up:

If your cartoon idea was what the Bible taught, that would make it wrong, not figurative.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What is the firmament?

It is the solid dome above the earth on which the sun, moon, and stars were placed.

It has the windows of heaven through which the rain and snow come.

On top of it are the storehouses of snow and water.

Of course it is figurative. We know the sky is not laid out like that.

Incorrect. You're speaking of "the firmament of the heavens."

The "firmament," or "raqia," is the ground beneath our feet. The Hebrew word "raqqa" (verb) means:

to pound the earth (as a sign of passion); by analogy to expand (by hammering); by implication, to overlay (with thin sheets of metal):—beat, make broad, spread abroad (forth, over, out, into plates), stamp, stretch.

The "firmament of the heavens" is the sky above, including the stars in the night sky. Essentially the rest of the universe not including the earth.

Raqia is also translated "expanse" or "vault."

You may have heard of the show "The Expanse"? What's it about? Space.

6days

As you know, Christians realize that the two different creation stories in Genesis are figurative. This isn't new. It was known long before modern science. Your modern revision of Genesis is just that; a modern revision.
Haha...Why not just accept God's Word for what it says? You can't seem to let Scripture stand as it is, without putting your spin on it. I think you suggested we should believe God's Word 'as it is'?

EX. 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth

6days

Greg Jennings said:
Again ------ answer this question: how does having one dorsal fin help OR hurt a nurse shark survive as opposed to having two?
You must be arguing against [MENTION=92]The Barbarian[/MENTION]? You were arguing that mutations gave the sharks an extra fin. He agreed with you. Now, you are arguing that mutations caused a loss of a fin.

THE Biblical model is that God designed things perfectly... and that creation has now been subjected to entropy. Mutations corrupt and destroy. Some humans function fine on one kidney, but it's much better to have both working the way God designed us.

Greg... give it up... Your argument is silly, and it's false. You likely even forget why you brought up the topic of sharks fins ( you were trying to prove that there was such a thing as a neutral mutation). As you said extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and you have provided none. Even the link you provided has nothing suggesting you are correct.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian suggests:

Haha...Why not just accept God's Word for what it says?

Yep. You can't seem to let Scripture stand as it is, without putting your spin on it. Instead of reworking parables into literal history, just let them be what they are.

Greg Jennings

You must be arguing against [MENTION=92]The Barbarian[/MENTION]? You were arguing that mutations gave the sharks an extra fin. He agreed with you. Now, you are arguing that mutations caused a loss of a fin.

THE Biblical model is that God designed things perfectly... and that creation has now been subjected to entropy. Mutations corrupt and destroy. Some humans function fine on one kidney, but it's much better to have both working the way God designed us.

Greg... give it up... Your argument is silly, and it's false. You likely even forget why you brought up the topic of sharks fins ( you were trying to prove that there was such a thing as a neutral mutation). As you said extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and you have provided none. Even the link you provided has nothing suggesting you are correct.

No you fool. We've been talking about neutral mutations. It doesn't matter if a fin is gained or lost. Save me your trite talking points and try to have a conversation. I don't appreciate you lying about me again, either. I've counted 5 that you thrown out against me in the last week. You're a bad Christian if you can't even avoid lying about an anonymous person.

I'll post the quote and link here again to prove you a liar:
"The research team is also examining the effects of radiation on other animals and plants both on the atoll and in the surrounding seas. Palumbi said nurse sharks with only one dorsal fin, instead of two, have been spotted, possible evidence of mutations caused by radiation exposure."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/455292001

For the 5th time, coward: How does having one dorsal fin as opposed to two help OR hurt a nurse shark survive?

2003cobra

I thought you weren't talking to me. :idunno:
I don’t know where you got that idea.
If you do want to talk to me, can you not make stuff up about the Bible. :up:
That stuff is in the Bible, and it is ancient Hebrew cosmology.

Haven’t you read these things in the scriptures?

If your cartoon idea was what the Bible taught, that would make it wrong, not figurative.
That is the interpretation approach called “it’s literal or it’s a lie.”

Don’t stick with that. It makes Christians look like idiots and it turns people away from the gospel.

2003cobra

Haha...Why not just accept God's Word for what it says? You can't seem to let Scripture stand as it is, without putting your spin on it. I think you suggested we should believe God's Word 'as it is'?

With that approach, you must affirm that, at the Last Supper, Jesus handed the Apostles cups of blood and His own body to eat.

If not, you are putting your own spin on God’s Words and not believing it as it is.

6days

With that approach, you must affirm that, at the Last Supper, Jesus handed the Apostles cups of blood and His own body to eat.

If not, you are putting your own spin on God’s Words and not believing it as it is.
You must have a headache when the weather reporter tells you the sun will rise in the East at 7AM. Do you always have discernment problems?

6days

Barbarian said:
. You can't seem to let Scripture stand as it is

EX. 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth