ECT ICON OF THE VIRGIN MARY FROM THE EARLY CHURCH PERIOD

HisServant

Your tradition is to eschew any history, and rely only on limited sources(scripture only) to decide matters of history. That leaves you at a definite disadvantage.

I don't rely on scriptures alone when it comes to history... I also rely on other early christian manuscripts from the 1st to the 3rd century.. at least until Rome got involved.

Once Rome got involved, you see a massive effort to fabricate history in its favor to legitimize itself.... we are VERY lucky any non-Roman documents escaped its attempts to destroy them.

Cruciform

I asked you to show in the Bible where Mary was revered as a perpetual virgin.
You can begin with this.

Now go ahead and cite the biblical text which states that "Everything believed by Christians must be spelled out explicitly in the Bible." Chapter-and-verse, please.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Don't even get me started with that "Mother of God" blaspheme.
  • Jesus Christ was/is God Incarnate
  • Mary carried and gave birth to Jesus Christ
  • In this sense, therefore, Mary is the "Mother of God"

If you reject Mary as Theotokos ("God-Bearer"), which of the first two premises do you deny?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

The Jewish virginity test was to check for an intact hymen, which would be impossible for Mary to have had after she gave birth... and it doesn't grow back.
Unfortunately for your assumptions, this is not the criterion of "virginity" in the 1st century in the context of Jesus' miraculous conception and birth. Rather, Mary herself stated the criterion in her reply to the angel: "...I do not know a man" (Lk. 1:34, NKJV). In modern terms, she had not had sexual relations, and it was specifically this which defined her as a "virgin." So much for your unbiblical assumption.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Right Divider

Body part

If you reject Mary as Theotokos ("God-Bearer"), which of the first two premises do you deny?

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
Yes, Romanist.... I understand your bogus reasoning and your use of the fallacy of the false dilemma.

Mary was the mother of Jesus ONLY in regards to His HUMANITY and is NOT in ANY regard His mother in regards to His DEITY.

Your bogus RCC doctrine tries to conflate these TWO natures and is completely invalid. Your "church" always tries to elevate Mary far above the position that God gives her.

john w

Hall of Fame

-Jesus Christ was/is God.

-Elizabeth, who gave birth to John, was the cousin of Mary, who gave birth to the Lord Jesus Christ.

-Therefore, Elizabeth is "The Aunt of God," and John the Baptist is therefore "The Cousin of God."

Roman deception-a 6 year old can see through this blasphemous, satanic deception, sophistry.

Right Divider

Body part
-Jesus Christ was/is God.

-Elizabeth, who gave birth to John, was the cousin of Mary, who gave birth to the Lord Jesus Christ.

-Therefore, Elizabeth is "The Aunt of God," and John the Baptist is therefore "The Cousin of God."

Roman deception-a 6 year old can see through this blasphemous, satanic deception, sophistry.
It spreads like a staph infection.

Right Divider

Body part
Paul himself acknowledges Luke's Gentile identity when he includes Luke among his (Paul's) uncircumcised companions (Col. 4:10-14). Try again.
This explanation is much better than your incorrect understanding: http://www.levitt.com/essays/luke
The Lists in Colossians

In Colossians 4, the Apostle Paul closes his letter by listing the various people who are with him as he writes the epistle, and some of those who are addressed. In these lists Paul makes mention of some who are of “the circumcision” (Col. 4:10–11), and are, therefore, Jews. Although it is not perfectly clear which men are referred to, they are presumably the previous three: Aristarchus, Mark and Jesus called Justus. Paul apparently does not include Tychicus and Onesimus, mentioned before in verses 7–9, as being in the circumcision group.

Later in this same chapter, in verse 14, Paul refers to Luke, the beloved physician. The argument is made that, as Luke is not mentioned in the list of those of “the circumcision”, he therefore must not be a Jew. However, this is very slim evidence, indeed. In the above reference, Paul is speaking of his fellow workers in the preaching ministry. However, Luke was not ever described as being actively involved in the work of preaching, but was rather Paul’s personal physician and historian. It would not be appropriate to put Luke in the list with those who were active in the preaching ministry, regardless of background.

Thus, there are reasons other than background why Luke would not be included in the list of “the circumcision.” It is risky to build a concept on evidence which is so weak, and this is the strongest evidence in the Bible that those who believe Luke was a Gentile use to prove their point.

Right Divider

Body part
No one ever says she is God. That is you assuming. Jesus is God. Mary is his mother. You figure it out, it's pretty basic.
To call Mary "the mother of God" is calling her God.

As I said, Mary has NOTHING to do with the DEITY of Jesus Christ. Therefore, it is completely inappropriate and blasphemous to call her that.

His humanity is NOT His deity and His deity is NOT His humanity.

To mix and confuse these leads to heresies and false doctrines galore.

brewmama

To call Mary "the mother of God" is calling her God.

As I said, Mary has NOTHING to do with the DEITY of Jesus Christ. Therefore, it is completely inappropriate and blasphemous to call her that.

His humanity is NOT His deity and His deity is NOT His humanity.

To mix and confuse these leads to heresies and false doctrines galore.

LOL! Talk about heresies! The whole point of the title is to affirm that Jesus was both God and man.

"The Council of Ephesus decreed, in opposition to those who denied Mary the title Theotokos ("the one who gives birth to God") but called her Christotokos ("the one who gives birth to Christ"), that Mary is Theotokos because her son Jesus is one person who is both God and man, divine and human.[5][6] Cyril of Alexandria wrote, "I am amazed that there are some who are entirely in doubt as to whether the holy Virgin should be called Theotokos or not. For if our Lord Jesus Christ is God, how is the holy Virgin who gave [Him] birth, not [Theotokos]?" (Epistle 1, to the monks of Egypt; PG 77:13B). Thus the significance of Theotokos lies more in what it says about Jesus than any declaration about Mary, according to this Catholic doctrine."