I don't have a problem with the Iraq war or Afganistan war

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
We were more/less right to go into Iraq.

And if Pres O hadn't UNDONE what Bush did... we would not have ISIS

thanks a lot, pres

++

:think: Question:

Whether or not you agree that the Iraq invasion was a good decision aside:
Do you believe the reasons we were given for the invasion are/were accurate or do you believe they were a cover for other motives which, while in our best interests as a nation (Realpolitik-ally Speaking, that is) would not have played so well to the cameras.

(I'm not regurgitating the "blood for oil" meme here...That's a simplistic and entirely inaccurate slogan for an extensive and complicated situation.)

*While this question is directed at republicanchick anyone is welcome to give their opinion

rexlunae

We were more/less right to go into Iraq.

I'd love to see you answer TomO's question on this.

And if Pres O hadn't UNDONE what Bush did... we would not have ISIS

thanks a lot, pres

All President Obama did was leave the Iraqi government that we set up to rule Iraq as a sovereign nation according to the timeline established by President Bush. As it happens, the prime minister, democratically elected by the people of Iraq, was a Shiite sectarian thug named Nouri al-Maliki, who waited a week after our departure to indict his Sunni vice president on terrorism charges. Leaving the country in his hands was bad, but given that the Bush-era plan in Iraq was to leave them a democracy, what could we have done about it? Set up a coup? Yeah, we've got a great history with that in the Middle East...

In some ways, I think there was no path forward until we got out and allowed the Iraqis to run the country themselves. While we were there, the problem was a foreign occupation. Now, the real miscreants show themselves.

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
THIS JUST IN:

Obama ends world hunger!

Republicanchick complains.

republicanchick

:think: Question:

Whether or not you agree that the Iraq invasion was a good decision aside:
Do you believe the reasons we were given for the invasion are/were accurate or do you believe they were a cover for other motives which, while in our best interests as a nation (Realpolitik-ally Speaking, that is) would not have played so well to the cameras.

(I'm not regurgitating the "blood for oil" meme here...That's a simplistic and entirely inaccurate slogan for an extensive and complicated situation.)

*While this question is directed at republicanchick anyone is welcome to give their opinion

if there is anything going on in secret as you imply, I would have no way of knowing and neither would you. Do I trust our gummit? heck no... and even if a R was in charge, no guarantee of perfection in policiies...

But we were right to get rid of the monster Sadaam who murdered his own people... etc... and we are right to fight against the mindless, violent idiots who would kill all of us in the West...

if we let them and the lefties are letting them...

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
if there is anything going on in secret as you imply, I would have no way of knowing and neither would you. Do I trust our gummit? heck no... and even if a R was in charge, no guarantee of perfection in policiies...

Oh spare us your dishonest rhetoric. IF it was a Republican in charge, you would be using every excuse under the sun to justify ANYTHING they did.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

But we were right to get rid of the monster Sadaam who murdered his own people... etc... and we are right to fight against the mindless, violent idiots who would kill all of us in the West...

if we let them and the lefties are letting them...

Okay...So we'll put you down as an :idunno:

Anyone else have any ideas?

republicanchick

I'd love to see you answer TomO's question on this.

All President Obama did was leave the Iraqi government that we set up to rule Iraq as a sovereign nation according to the timeline established by President Bush. As it happens, the prime minister, democratically elected by the people of Iraq, was a Shiite sectarian thug named Nouri al-Maliki, who waited a week after our departure to indict his Sunni vice president on terrorism charges. Leaving the country in his hands was bad, but given that the Bush-era plan in Iraq was to leave them a democracy, what could we have done about it? Set up a coup? Yeah, we've got a great history with that in the Middle East...

we should have totally taken over the dang place, THEN left it in the hands of a WESTERN supporting person... someone we KNEW was that

rexlunae

we should have totally taken over the dang place, THEN left it in the hands of a WESTERN supporting person... someone we KNEW was that

So, permanent colonialism? How long do you think a pro-western dictatorship would survive on Iran's doorstep, with a huge population of radicalized individuals, and active al Qaeda presence, and restive Kurdish population, and decades of political repression?

republicanchick

So, permanent colonialism? How long do you think a pro-western dictatorship would survive on Iran's doorstep, with a huge population of radicalized individuals, and active al Qaeda presence, and restive Kurdish population, and decades of political repression?

we join with Israel, one kick-[uh... behind] military and we wipe out the Islam extremists..

and we burn the Koran so no one else is polluted by it (or we could just tear out the page that says to kill everyone who doesn't believe as he's supposed to... kinda like anti-Catholics wanna do w/ Catholics)

facetiousness alert

++

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you believe the reasons we were given for the invasion are/were accurate

Of course they were, and it was known well before the recent revelation about all the WMDs found in Iraq.

or do you believe they were a cover for other motives which, while in our best interests as a nation (Realpolitik-ally Speaking, that is) would not have played so well to the cameras.

Of course not. They were never going to just give us oil at a discount.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Of course they were, and it was known well before the recent revelation about all the WMDs found in Iraq.

Okay :)

Of course not. They were never going to just give us oil at a discount.

Re-read the last statement in my post. I wouldn't suggest anything that vacuous. ;)

rexlunae

I'm talking about the future

geez... always a non-answer from the lib gallery

And why would the future be any different? It seems to me that there's little to be gained by Israel in joining a colonial effort against Iraq. Seems like a lot of their neighbors might object. And Israel's military is mostly focused on self-defense, not foreign engagement.

truthjourney

The main problem I have with these wars is their effect on Middle East Christians. For example, at the beginning of the Iraq war there was an estimated 1.5 million Christians in Iraq and now there are fewer than 400,000. Regardless of what has been said to the contrary, the Christians in Iraq know and tell the true story which is that they felt safer under Hussein who kept them safe from sectarian violence. It is the same reason that many Christians, and other religious minorities, in Syria tolerate the police state of Bashar al-Assad.
These wars continue and with them the deliberate extinction of Middle Eastern Christians.

republicanchick

And why would the future be any different? It seems to me that there's little to be gained by Israel in joining a colonial effort against Iraq. Seems like a lot of their neighbors might object. And Israel's military is mostly focused on self-defense, not foreign engagement.

they would be glad to join forces w/ the US against terrorirsts... but we have a pro terrorist in the WH

let his actions speak for themselves