I am a stupid expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
According to Tambora in another thread I am intent on being stupid or something to that effect. I agree.

You see I marvel at the intellect, knowledge, sophistication and sheer brilliance of everyone I come into contact with. I am humbled by the insights, wisdom and analytic abilities of those who flock to TOL to educate me. I am truly unworthy of their graciousness.

I am but a simple sinner. Many times over. My path is not yours nor can it ever be. And yet not withstanding the different roads traveled our destinies are identical. And when I reach home the words on the mantle engraved in gold inlaid in alabaster will say "neither do I condemn thee". And below the hearth will be a small unassuming clutch embroidered with the words "everything a stupid expert needs to know". It will, of course, be empty.

rainee

Hi Eeset,
I do not think you are stupid! (Though you may be more comfortable with conflict here than I think you should be.)

However, this reminded me of a story with a happy ending about a little girl that I think may have been a true account:

She got separated from her mom and after some hours of being lost and thinking they were at strip mall not far from her neighborhood - she decided to walk home.

Soon she was still lost but trying to find a street that looked familiar.

Thankfully a cop found her and picked her up and soon they were both trying and failing to find her home.

And then she remembered a church with a big cross on the side of it that was close to her house. So she told the policeman, " Please just get me to the cross and I will be able to find my way home."

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Hi Eeset,
I do not think you are stupid! (Though you may be more comfortable with conflict here than I think you should ."

Nope. Eeset got a Masters at the school of Believe your own BS.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
According to Tambora in another thread I am intent on being stupid or something to that effect. I agree.

You see I marvel at the intellect, knowledge, sophistication and sheer brilliance of everyone I come into contact with. I am humbled by the insights, wisdom and analytic abilities of those who flock to TOL to educate me. I am truly unworthy of their graciousness.

I am but a simple sinner. Many times over. My path is not yours nor can it ever be. And yet not withstanding the different roads traveled our destinies are identical. And when I reach home the words on the mantle engraved in gold inlaid in alabaster will say "neither do I condemn thee". And below the hearth will be a small unassuming clutch embroidered with the words "everything a stupid expert needs to know". It will, of course, be empty.

Stupid ... nah. Conniving. Yep.

doloresistere

My apologies for being overly harsh with you. You have purposeful obtuseness and are deliberately ambiguous in your conversation, but far from stupid.

noguru

I prefer "educated idiot" to "stupid expert". I think an expert has to actually be able to appropriately and practically apply knowledge. So a stupid person cannot actually be an expert. Perhaps Tambora is referring to the saying "Those who cannot do, teach." But I do not think that is universally accurate.

A person may have theoretical knowledge, but be unable to apply that knowledge. Or a person may have memorized a lot of facts without making any wise connection between those fact. Either case might qualify as "educated idiot". I have not seen enough of your posts, or seen how you apply your knowledge enough to know if you qualify. Perhaps only you can answer that question. I can tell you one thing, I don't become overly concerned with just any person's opinion of me. I would have to see that they actually had a grasp on the exact aspect of their criticism of me before I would consider their opinion. Other than that I do not obsess over what others think of me.

noguru

I'm not saying i know what's going on here, i just wanted to point out that one can be foolish without being stupid.

I agree. That is usually from either a lack of focus (clarity of mind) and/or the inability to prioritize. No one is foolish all the time, and no one is wise all the time. Each individual circumstance may bring a different response in that regard. Though all those individual situations can be dealt with in the best possible way with clarity of mind and thorough prioritization.

staind.raindrop

I agree. That is usually from either a lack of focus (clarity of mind) and/or the inability to prioritize. No one is foolish all the time, and no one is wise all the time. Each individual circumstance may bring a different response in that regard. Though all those individual situations can be dealt with in the best possible way with clarity of mind and thorough prioritization.

Indeed. Folly is a choice. Stupidity isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.