Hypocrisy of the Republican Party

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
That's not what we're talking about, if you'd actually read anything I posted. But hey you'd be turning over a new leaf if you bothered to do that.

Easy...no need to be testy. :chuckle:

The problem is Reid is ramming through the nominees.

I think you mean McConnell, and he is doing exactly what Reid did. In fact it is Reid who crafted these rules to have no type of public discourse or any type of consensus, with the opposing party. All kidding aside I liked government better before the advent of marxist progressive liberalism, you know, when we all came to compromises for the good of everyone. This is what majority rule looks like, are you sure you really want that? You had to know when Reid & Pelosi practiced this sort of politics that it would someday come back to haunt them/you...not pretty is it?

Sure they took away the filibuster, but no filibuster doesn't mean - ethics review isn't finished for many nominees and run as many of the hearings as possible on the same day as the inauguration. They're intentionally trying to keep people from looking into any problems with the nominees.

Wrong Alate, Reid not only suspended the filibuster but, he also made it so that a simple majority (51 votes) could confirm cabinet nominees & judiciary appointments with the exception of the supreme court. Reid's action was a scorched earth approach to ram through anyone he/Obama wanted. Well, the shoe is on the other foot, and did you think that the republicans were not going to get their pound of flesh when the table was turned...Please. As far as the ethics reviews all nominees will have their paperwork in before votes are cast, so it is really just a formality, with the Senate rules as Reid made them democrats are powerless to stop the confirmation of any of Trumps cabinet nominees, and they know it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...work-complete.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

Democrats removed the filibuster because Republicans abused it and blocked pretty much everything. Now they're going still farther, when they spent ages complaining about "ramming things through", (which was regular order).

As I pointed out above it wasn't just the filibuster, and it is subjective to say any abuse was made, it is the same action used by liberals when they are in the minority, and blocking is exactly what republican voters wanted just like the democrats will try their level best to block anything Trump wants to do right now because that is what you would expect of your elected officials...it is called politics, and it is a contact sport. Suspending the 60 vote majority was a big mistake, an abuse of power to squelch all opposing views, and to appease a radical president who had no intention of compromising on anything, furthermore anything that needed legislation of both houses Obama used the ole pen & phone executive order, another abuse of power. Do you see where running rough shod over the citizenry can backfire? Working together for solutions demands public discourse and a willingness to compromise for the common good, all you crazy regressive liberals did was poison that well for the last 8 years so, I would say sit back and enjoy your handiwork.

Alate_One

I think you mean McConnell, and he is doing exactly what Reid did.
McConnell iss pushing for the nominees to go through BEFORE their ethics reviews are completed. That is unprecedented.

Wrong Alate, Reid not only suspended the filibuster but, he also made it so that a simple majority (51 votes) could confirm cabinet nominees & judiciary appointments with the exception of the supreme court. Reid's action was a scorched earth approach to ram through anyone he/Obama wanted.
Or in my viewpoint, a response to unprecedented obstruction. The Republicans were the party of no. That's what poisoned the well. Trump and most everything else is your doing.

filibuster_nominees.png

So you can pretend it's the other side's fault when it's clearly the right's.

It's a technique of self deception to accuse the other side of the very thing you are doing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Then we have the republican party positions big banks, Russia It's bad when Hillary talks to Goldman Sachs in a speech, because they're bad people. But when Donald Trump appoints those same people to regulate banking? That's smart business.
Wasn't that controversy about what she said, not that she spoke to them? It was the Bernie supporters who were upset by her even doing it.

Leaving Trump and the Trumpers aside, there are some Republicans on Congress that are taking a hard line against Putin. There has been some bipartisan support about investigating their role in the hacking and some of them are being tough on Tillerson's nomination. Rubio and McCain come to mind. I don't know how many beyond that though.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
McConnell iss pushing for the nominees to go through BEFORE their ethics reviews are completed. That is unprecedented.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...cdb4b7f8dd7_story.html?utm_term=.e2706dd9e2ad

Betsy DeVos omitted $125,000 anti-union political donation from Senate disclosure form

President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team acknowledged Friday that Betsy DeVos, Donald Trump’s pick for education secretary, omitted a $125,000 political donation from disclosures she submitted to a Senate committee in advance of her confirmation hearing, which is scheduled for Tuesday.

“We appreciate this being called to our attention and we will be updating our committee submission,” a transition team spokeswoman said Friday.

Alate_One

Wasn't that controversy about what she said, not that she spoke to them? It was the Bernie supporters who were upset by her even doing it.
There was a lot of noise from Bernie supporters. But Trump attacked Ted Cruz for being "in bed with wall street".

Is Cruz honest? He is in bed w/ Wall St. & is funded by Goldman Sachs/Citi, low interest loans. No legal disclosure & never sold off assets.

And again, bringing in Hillary:

“I know the guys at Goldman Sachs,” Trump said last February. “They have total, total control over him. Just like they have total control over Hillary Clinton."

Source

So Trump decides he should get into bed with Goldman Sachs and put them in control of the US government.

Leaving Trump and the Trumpers aside, there are some Republicans on Congress that are taking a hard line against Putin. There has been some bipartisan support about investigating their role in the hacking and some of them are being tough on Tillerson's nomination. Rubio and McCain come to mind. I don't know how many beyond that though.
Yes, there have been a few, thankfully. But not enough.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Like her or not, Hillary Clinton has done absolutely NOTHING to deserve going to jail . She did absolutely nothing illegal with emails etc . All a giant pack of lies . I'm not saying she's never done anything reprehensible , all politicians have done this .
But she doesn't even come remotely close to having been as corrupt, dishonest, mendacious and malicious as Trump, GW Bush and Cheney, Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell , Trey Gowdy , and other Repugnicans .
If the Electoral College had been abolished as it should h ave been long ago, Hillary Clinton would be taking the oath of office next week . If those damned Russians hadn't interfered with the election, the Repugnicans hadn't been guilty of gerrymandering , suppression of minority vote etc ,
the disastrous election of Donald Trump would never have happened . Now we are in deep doo-doo .
Up to our necks . Just wait until Lord Voldemort and his dementors take over .

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
We all know this is coming.

i've been rooting for it since October

trump was a tool to block hillary

now he can be discarded and we can have President Pence :thumb:

alternately, four years of gridlock where nothing much gets done

which will still be better than bammy or hillary

Alate_One

she broke the law

she's a felon

If she's a felon, he's even more of a felon. But I doubt you get impeachment unless there's a near literal smoking gun. Republicans are afraid of Trump and his popularity with a subset of the Republican base. If they weren't they wouldn't all be making nice with him now.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Um no. It's called due process. You're not a felon until you're charged and convicted, and I asked a friend who's a lawyer for confirmation.

your friend is wrong

read the dictionary definition, especially black's law

and then consider this - if i steal something, am i a thief or do i have to be convicted?

is a rapist a rapist only upon conviction?

how about a man who kills another and is then shot dead by police?

is he a murderer?

of course

was he ever convicted?

due process has been raised before - that only applies to the authorities dealing with suspects in the system

the scumbag who stole my bike when i was a kid was no less a thief for never having been caught

one more - the murderer/rapist/child molester/thief who gets off on a technicality - is he any less a murderer/rapist/child molester/thief?

of course not

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Trump has committed an infinitely larger number of illegal acts than Hillary , and he's never even been indicted for any of them . He the real teflon president . He's been a tax evader for about 20 years and refuses to release his tax returns.
He's a sexual predator and there is credible evidence that he may have RAPED at least onre13 year old girl. He has discriminate against black people in housing, cheated countless people out of who knows how much money , has employed illegal immigrants from Poland for slave wages and treated to report them and have them deported if they complained .
He has about 3,500 lawsuits against him, and paid a mere 25 million in reparations for his bogus "Trump University ".
He owns restaurants which have been closed for being unsanitary and may very well have colluded with Putin and Russia to influence the November election . He has known close ties to organized crime and was a protege of the infamous phony lawyer Roy Cohn .And this is just the tip of the iceberg
when it comes to his misdeeds . Yet no conservatives are calling for him to be put in jail. People are put in jail every day for far, far less corruption and criminal conduct .

Alate_One

your friend is wrong

read the dictionary definition, especially black's law
You do understand that dictionary definitions are not always correct no? Even law dictionaries. It's certainly true of Biological terms even in supposed science dictionaries. There's no perfect definition of Felon in every state.

and then consider this - if i steal something, am i a thief or do i have to be convicted?
There's a difference between a legal definition and a common definition. We assume innocence until proven guilty. If you've listened to a decent news station, they will make a point of saying "accused" or "alleged" even in the case where the evidence seems obvious.