How the Gospel Refutes Calvinism, All Religions

beloved57

sonnet

Faith is not a work.

What scripture says that its not ?

Jesus identifies faith as a work of the law that ought to be done Matt 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Sonnet

sonnet

What scripture says that its not ?

Romans 4:1-5

Jesus identifies faith as a work of the law that ought to be done Matt 23:23

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

In context, Jesus is discussing 'matters of the law', so, as many translations acknowledge, 'faithfulness' is a better translation.

Jesus isn't referring to faith in Him.

Paul explicitly distinguishes works of the law and faith in Romans 4 (and elsewhere).

You are conflating faith and work.

beloved57

In context, Jesus is discussing 'matters of the law', so, as many translations acknowledge, 'faithfulness' is a better translation.

Paul explicitly distinguishes works of the law and faith in Romans 4 (and elsewhere).

You are conflating faith and work.

Jesus identified faith as part of the law that ought to have been done Matt 23:23. Also you failed to provide a scripture that says specifically that faith is not a work !

beloved57

sonnet

Says who ? All the scriptures pointed to Him. In fact the law was given to be a schoolmaster to faith in Him Gal 3:24

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Sonnet

Jesus identified faith as part of the law that ought to have been done Matt 23:23.

Jesus is talking about faithfulness. He isn't talking about saving faith. The context is the Pharisees and their hypocrisy. They will follow the letter of some laws but forget the 'more important matters'.

Also you failed to provide a scripture that says specifically that faith is not a work !

What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.

Paul says that Abraham was not justified by works; so works are out when considering Abraham's righteousness. Paul does say that Abraham was justified by faith - so faith cannot be work because if it were then Paul's previous assertion that he was not justified by work would be contradicted.

Faith is something other than work. Paul says so.

Sonnet

sonnet

Says who ? All the scriptures pointed to Him. In fact the law was given to be a schoolmaster to faith in Him Gal 3:24

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Paul also says in that chapter:

vv.10-11:
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”

beloved57

sonnet

Jesus is talking about faithfulness.

They're the same. Faithfulness is living by faith !

You deny scripture. Jesus plainly states Faith as an act of the Law that ought to be DONE ! Matt 23:23

You also have failed to provide any scripture that says Faith is not a work, so you have made a invalid and false statement saying faith is not a work !

beloved57

Paul also says in that chapter:

vv.10-11:
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”

Faith has always been directed towards Christ. The whole law and prophets pointed to Christ Lk 24:44

And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Moses had faith in Christ Heb 11:24-26

24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.

Moses looked forward to the coming of Christ to die for sin !

Sonnet

You also have failed to provide any scripture that says Faith is not a work, so you have made a invalid and false statement saying faith is not a work !

I did by quoting Romans 4:1-5. Please read it and refute, if you will, my assertion:

What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.

Paul says that Abraham was not justified by works; so works are out when considering Abraham's righteousness. Paul does say that Abraham was justified by faith - so faith cannot be work because if it were then Paul's previous assertion that he was not justified by work would be contradicted.

beloved57

I did by quoting Romans 4:1-5. Please read it and refute, if you will, my assertion:

I have read that passage many times, nothing there saying that Faith is not a work. How could it when Faith is a work of the law as Jesus points out Matt 23:23.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Robert Pate

Banned
I have read that passage many times, nothing there saying that Faith is not a work. How could it when Faith is a work of the law as Jesus points out Matt 23:23.

Faith in the work and person of Jesus Christ justifies, Romans 5:1.

All other works do not justify. Trying to do works that justify are under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

beloved57

Faith in the work and person of Jesus Christ justifies, Romans 5:1.

All other works do not justify. Trying to do works that justify are under the curse, Galatians 3:10.
You don't believe in Jesus Christ. The jesus you preach, many he died for end up in hell in their sins in unbelief!

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
The gift has to be received.

John 8:23-24
But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”
Why would an unbeliever want to receive the gift and why would God bother with that if he knows they won't receive it? Men nor you can't tease God

Robert Pate

Banned
You don't believe in Jesus Christ. The jesus you preach, many he died for end up in hell in their sins in unbelief!

Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. You are in denial of the scriptures that teach that.

If you can't believe the scriptures why do you even read the Bible?

Jesus has reconciled the whole world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. You don't believe that either.

You reject the scriptures and accept the words of a heretic, John Calvin.

Epoisses

Jesus identified faith as part of the law that ought to have been done Matt 23:23. Also you failed to provide a scripture that says specifically that faith is not a work !

See, Calvinists have to make faith a work in order for their false theology to be accepted.

Epoisses

Jesus statement makes Faith a work of the law Matt 23:23

And Paul contrasted faith and works in every discourse that's why you had no answer for Romans 4. Also faith is called a law in the scripture.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Rom. 3:27,28

beloved57

And Paul contrasted faith and works in every discourse that's why you had no answer for Romans 4. Also faith is called a law in the scripture.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Rom. 3:27,28
Paul never said that Faith is not a work of the law.